• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pro style offense

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It would be a mistake to try to "impose" a Pro-set offense on a team that is constructed top-to-bottom as a Spread/option attack...now, you COULD start moving things towards a more "hybrid Run'n'Gun", with the QB moving up under center and back to the shotgun, depending on the play called for, dictated by the defense he reads. In fact, that could be very effective, and not that difficult a transition from what they HAVE been doing--and very likely an improvement, results-wise. Let's wait and see...

this whole yr was garbage last yr wasnt that good either so anything is an improvement and its not like they been doing good so completely changing the offense wouldnt be a bad idea

just getting away from the 3 QB thing and QB draws all the time will make me happy

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, I'm with you on that over-all appraisal of the last couple of years of offense, at least how it was done by Addazio...but the parts and pieces that we already have, in the players and their talents, strengths, experience and training, the idea with a GOOD coach is to adapt your scheme to THEM, as opposed to forcing them into a whole new approach they have neither the background nor the particular aptitude for. That's why I talked about some kind of "hybrid" transitional set, with elements of a more traditional "under-center" pro-set AND the mobile shotgun. Again: it might work out well with the players we'll have next season on offense. But you're right: we couldn't do that much worse.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It's not our job to dictate or request a style of offense. All I want is a style of offense that puts points on the board. Last year's spread-option works (same as the 2008 version, but executed differently...same offense). The pro style works. The spread works. The veer works. Who cares? It's all about execution, not style.

The main reason this year's spread-option did not work (other than the aforementioned lack of mobility by the QB and a bad O-line) is that Brantley did not know how to make the zone-read. He knows how to make a regular, pro style read, but not a zone-read. Those who think the Florida offense is just a gimmick that only worked because of Tebow forget that even Leak made it work. Also, watch footage of Cam Newton doing the "Tebow duck". The Tebow move is when the QB fakes like he is running up the gut, crouches down to read where the defenders are in the box, and then pops back up for a pass over the top. That, ladies and gentlemen, is one zone-read, and it works great with Cam Newton. It's not a gimmick offense. Our 2010 version of the spread-option was the problem, not the offensive style itself.

The 3-QB system was a temporary fix that was necessary in order to provide misdirection and confusion necessary for an option attack, and the option attack would have set up a spread passing attack. None of those happened against real opponents, obviously.

Even Texas modified its offense based on personnel. With Vince Young, that offense was essentially a spread-option with a lot of QB draws from a tremendous runner. With Colt McCoy it was a spread. That OC had the personnel to go from spread-option/QB draw to spread. We lacked the personnel to go from spread-option to spread or pro style. I doubt we recruited the right personnel for a pro style today. We would need to scrap the entire O-line, add a blocking TE, bring in HBs twice as big, and actually use our FBs for something other than keeping the bench warm.

Let the incoming OC decide what kind of offense we get. More than likely we will see a hybrid of the old offense and the new one until we have run through a couple recruiting classes.

GoGators01

Gator Fan
A pro-style offense doesn't mean they'll never use the shotgun or 3 or 4 wr sets. They'll just be under center more. All that matters is that they score points. A good o coordinator adjusts to his personnel

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
Kind of got me all excited now. I may have to go start a new Dynasty on my NCAA Football Game and use the pro style play book.

austingator

Gator Fan
I just saw on ESPN a report about Brantley considering a transfer. Seems strange if they're going to go pro style...

Escambia94

Kind of got me all excited now. I may have to go start a new Dynasty on my NCAA Football Game and use the pro style play book.

A friend of mine used Florida as his video game NCAA '10 team with a pro style offense. His video game Florida team won the national championship amongst 16 online players.

robdog

Gator Fan
Brantley needs to stay. If that report turns out to be true, it is going to be bad for Florida and Brantley.

awebbf5

VIP Member
A friend of mine used Florida as his video game NCAA '10 team with a pro style offense. His video game Florida team won the national championship amongst 16 online players.
I use multiple and it does great for me, trey running this flex and wishbone, and brantley in the rest of the formations.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's not our job to dictate or request a style of offense. All I want is a style of offense that puts points on the board. Last year's spread-option works (same as the 2008 version, but executed differently...same offense). The pro style works. The spread works. The veer works. Who cares? It's all about execution, not style.

The main reason this year's spread-option did not work (other than the aforementioned lack of mobility by the QB and a bad O-line) is that Brantley did not know how to make the zone-read. He knows how to make a regular, pro style read, but not a zone-read. Those who think the Florida offense is just a gimmick that only worked because of Tebow forget that even Leak made it work. Also, watch footage of Cam Newton doing the "Tebow duck". The Tebow move is when the QB fakes like he is running up the gut, crouches down to read where the defenders are in the box, and then pops back up for a pass over the top. That, ladies and gentlemen, is one zone-read, and it works great with Cam Newton. It's not a gimmick offense. Our 2010 version of the spread-option was the problem, not the offensive style itself.

The 3-QB system was a temporary fix that was necessary in order to provide misdirection and confusion necessary for an option attack, and the option attack would have set up a spread passing attack. None of those happened against real opponents, obviously.

Even Texas modified its offense based on personnel. With Vince Young, that offense was essentially a spread-option with a lot of QB draws from a tremendous runner. With Colt McCoy it was a spread. That OC had the personnel to go from spread-option/QB draw to spread. We lacked the personnel to go from spread-option to spread or pro style. I doubt we recruited the right personnel for a pro style today. We would need to scrap the entire O-line, add a blocking TE, bring in HBs twice as big, and actually use our FBs for something other than keeping the bench warm.

Let the incoming OC decide what kind of offense we get. More than likely we will see a hybrid of the old offense and the new one until we have run through a couple recruiting classes.

You break it all down nicely here, E-, pretty well fleshing out what I was just dashing off a quicky-outline of. EVERYONE here seems to have their own realistic AND optimistic view of what the MusCHOMP-"O" will look like. He was straight about it, but he left himself (and us!) room for flexibility/adaptability: "We will run a pro-style set--on offense and defense", is how he put it. That's a lot of "wiggle room", when you examine it closer.
That brings us to ONE little point I've got to return to for a moment: It may not be our JOB to "dictate or request a style of offense", but it sure is our right (and, some would maintain, our DUTY) to observe and comment on whatever we hear or see--it is probably just too early in the whole process to even begin drawing any conclusions, let alone to start worrying about them!
We're in good hands, it seems, and the next important piece of information will be implicit in the choice for OC. According to our Head Coach, that probably won't be official until after the bowl season (though there will be rampant speculation, and possibly meaningful hints, before then). Until then, we can talk, but it won't really mean a whole lot, at least as far as where our "O" is headed.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Brantley needs to stay. If that report turns out to be true, it is going to be bad for Florida and Brantley.

I would think he WOULD stay if the new Head Coach wanted him to, and talked to him directly about how he will use him. Under those conditions, if JB WERE to leave I'd suspect it was because he was under the impression that he would NOT necessarily be the starting QB heading into the Spring, that MusCHOMP has other plans and was honest with him about this. Since the Coach said what he did about running a "pro-style attack", I'd THINK Brantley was in his plans for '11.

Escambia94

JB would be an easy fit into a pro-style offense, but that would be up to the incoming OC...whomever that will be. JD might work well in a pro-set and upset JB as the starter, and JB won't have the "Daddy and Uncle were Gators" card to play. Either way, JB should come back and fight for it. If he leaves Florida for Jacksonville University and I were an NFL scout, I would a) knock him for lack of loyalty or competitive edge b) question his record-breaking stats at an FCS school and c) wonder if he is not capable of performing in big games.

A few weeks ago I would not be worried about Brantley leaving, but that was under different conditions. New head coach. New offensive coordinator. No spread-option. These are good conditions for JB and we might see what Kerwin Bell saw in John Brantley for ourselves in 2011.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hmmm--the JU/Kerwin Bell angle...of COURSE, obvious, now that you mention it. On the one hand, I agree with everything you say about it. On the other, I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't worry about it, for all of the same reasons--to a certain extent, next year's "plan-to-win" HAS to be more a matter of a strong "on-the-rise" Defense keeping us in close games, while our new OC begins to build a new offense where, for this first year at least, the idea is play ball-control for the most part, not GIVE points away, while the various components come together and begin to gel, and let our playmakers (hopefully) do enough scoring to win close games.
I guess I'm just not convinced that even a John Brantley in the pocket is any kind of promising advantage over Reed running that offense until Driskell takes it away from him (or anyone else, for that matter, INCLUDING Brantley if he stays). Did he ever impress you once last year, after the Orange & Blue game (where there's no pressure on the QB, significantly enough, if you consider his problems in real games)?
In other words, Brantley's real value IS as a kind of "holding place" for Driskell's preparation and ascendence to starter, during which time he takes the heat and abuse while we HOPE he can somehow improve enough to lead the offense until then--just because it is no longer a "Spread-offense".
Some how that strikes me as a vain hope; he's the same guy, after all. Know what I'm saying? There may be a certain "convenience" in his staying, but it won't be that big a disaster if he doesn't. Now, what I'd LOVE is for him to come back and PROVE ME WRONG...but that has not been the "John Brantley" we've seen so far. THAT guy might very well bolt for a lesser challenge, despite at least the possibility that this time he'd actually get the opportunity (in the form of a more suitable offensive scheme) he was originally promised with the Florida Gators.

Escambia94

I'm not certain that JB was promised a particular offense. If I'm a highly touted QB being recruited by Florida and Texas, I think I would pay attention to the offense being used at the time. There is no way JB did not know that both his favorites ran a spread of some type. Somewhere in life, a coach must have planted the idea in JB's head, "Son, you are as mobile as a one legged sloth. Make sure you apply to a college that runs a pro-set with big running backs." JB should have known that there were 50 players on the roster recruited for a spread at Texas and Florida and no coach was going to flip the offense for one player. It's a team sport. I seriously don't buy the "poor Johnny wasn't cut for the spread" crap. No way. Now that he has a coach willing to build from the bottom up an offense that fits him better, I'd be annoyed if he left. I'd accuse him of sucking and looking for excuses. I'm not the boss, but I would demand that he come back and prove us all wrong, or else I would not support any of his successes at JU. Not that my opinion matters. I watched him learn from the best for three years, and DADGUMMIT I want to see some results.

On a similar thought, what kind of offense did Reed run in high school? Either way, I think the primary QB next year should be Brantley or the freshman Driskel. Reed and Burton should move to TE or WR. Another thing to consider would be for JB to hang around and learn how to coach. It worked for Major Applewhite. Applewhite was kicked to the sidelines for blue chip, award winning, prototype build, new coach's favorite, and son of legend, Chris Simms. Applewhite has a much happier resume and fewer hospital bills than Simms today. Just another thought. Simms was the top HS QB in 2000. Applewhite was headed into his senior year when Texas got a new coach that changed things up a bit. It took bad performance from Simms in his freshman year of 2001 for Applewhite to come off the bench and make some comeback wins. Simms learned a lot from being benched and improved to the point he broke all of Applewhite's records.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well! You're certainly more hardened and extreme in expressing your verdicts on Brantley than I have been...I got a chuckle out of seeing you put it so strongly: Here I was trying to be "even-handed" and circumspect to a certain extent, and you cut right to the "screw that bullsh*t"-core!
Actually, I don't disagree with you on any of it, ESPECIALLY your point that he (and his family--THEY are factors here as well, in their OWN as well as JB's self-delusions) should have known and faced the reality of what offense was being run, and hence what would be expected of him at UF.
As for the possibility that he leaves, I guess my expectations with respect to him have been so effectively lowered that it just wouldn't be that much of a surprise--more in keeping with this combination of slightly-spoiled-kid-with-family-in-his-ear (yes, like Simms) and a seeming lack of heart (even LESS than Simms?).
It is in the "lack of heart" part where any comparison with Major Applewhite breaks down. Major was ALL about heart--a clear demonstration of how (in the college game at least) heart will help you to accomplish things (most importantly, WINS) that pure technical talent alone may not. That, and the fact that I believe Major had coaching in his mind as a possibility even while he was still a young undergraduate player. No, I'm afraid the Chris Simms-comparison is closest to the operative one here. I guess I already accept these things in Brantley, so I'm past the point of getting angry about it. It's up to him (and, if he's smart, him ALONE): stay, try to change and improve, or go, and we won't think about you again.

Escambia94

You can watch over the course of the season as I went from "Any day now JB is going to break through the Tebow curse" to "Well, we put too much pressure on him" to "WTF! ****!" to "BRING ON JORDAN NOW BEFORE I BURN MY COUCH!" to "Driskel, you had better be worth the hype" to where I am now, "Brantley. Because of you I am a drunk, I've burned my house down, and everyone on Gator Envy thinks I'm schizo! Buddy, you better come back and prove me wrong!"

Well, it's Friday at 5. Time to get drunk and prepare my Outback Bowl predictions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema