• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Play Calling

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
How do you truly feel about the play calling this year. Me personally I think it is way too predicable. Seems like our own plays are the read dive , the inside shovel pass or Tebow up the middle. I know we have the athletes so I just don't understand the problem. I think Meyer needs to trust his young receivers and give them a chance to shine. We truly need to find a balanced offense. Relying on what we are doing now I'm afraid wont cut it against a really good Alabama defense. Also I think Steve Addazio has too much on his plate with coaching the offensive line and game planning. Just seems to me that both areas in which he is in charge of are really hurting us this year (Tebow sacked 22 + times) aint good.IMO.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
First, let's let the O-line learn how to block. We can't run any plays without an offensive line. After that, we need to go find page three of the playbook. I think Addazzio only carries the first two pages of the playbook in his pocket.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
A lot of the problems with the play calling are because of poor play of the offense. The O-Line is struggling, especially with the pass. Tebow hasn't been all that great in the pass game. The WR's have some obvious struggles. RB's are the best part of our offense right now... Demps, Moody, and James are doing good, but Rainey is struggling.

stonythegator

Gator Fan
I agree that the O-line is struggling. I just can't understand that. When your O-line caves 70% of the game, how are you going to run or pass? They get the job done, but they need to do something about that because Bama has a really tough defense. However, we have seen this many times before. UF goes into a really tough game and there seems to be a huge shift in the way they play.

LSU comes to mind. Not the best defense in the conference, but a stout one. Our O-line held enough to ensure a victory. Hopefully the Gators will do this during the Bama game.

My concern is Teebow. He's great, but in the Gamecocks game he landed on his head twice and after the second time, he looked and played like he was confused. I'm wondering if there might be some lingering effects from his injury earlier this year.

Another one of my concerns is those that were meant to replace Harvin for his multi-role attack don't have the flexibility of Harvin. Harvin could play running back with the best of them and could also hit his routes perfectly. We're relying on guys who are not able to shift outside their position and play as effectly as Harvin did.

I see this as an oppurtunity to utilize each in their own role. You can't expect every reciever to be able to shift into the backfield and take a handoff. As well, you can't expect your RB's to run out on a pass pattern and function as well as a reciever. We need to stick to our guys roles and utilize all of our weapons for what they're used for. I know Teebow can pass. He is a running QB, but I've seen him put the ball into zones that seem unlikely for anyone to pull off. He just needs to quit dropping his arm so low because that is dangerous.

I know I'm not the only one that has seen the huge flaw in the defense this year. When every defensive play call is a partial blitz of some sort, that kind of gets readable. There were blitzes happening and a team expecting it all last night. I don't know how many times I watched a short pass gain more yardage than it should have and a run go longer than it needed. I know the Gator defense has more than just a book of good blitzs.

Another defensive problem I've seen is that players tend to overcompensate. I mean they get into a hurry and miss tackles. I thought they were doing much of this on purpose watching the game last night. I know that's not the case, but purposely wouldn't sting quite as bad as poor playing.

I think there are quite a few things that need to be figured out before December. The Gators have played tremendously all year, fought some tough battles, and still came out on top. However, more is going to be needed to keep that spot. Bama won't be as forgiving as they were last year. This year, there is going to be more at stake. I say this because Bama was a team scorned last year. You better believe they're going to be looking for a win this year because of last year. Texas, won't be so tough. I don't believe many Big 12 teams are as great as people make them out to be.

We shall see.

Escambia94

So, based on our play calling in SC and over the course of the past few games, can we fix it by the SEC championship? Is there anything to fix? Maybe we are doing just enough to win so we can save our A-game for Alabama?

I wish I could say there is a reason for our conservative play calling an lack of O-line, but it does appear that this is the best we can be on offense. We will just have to continue to play great defense and eke out one more point than the opponent. So, the question should really be, "Is our offensive play calling enough to keep us one point ahead of FIU, SOW, and Alabama?" If so, it is enough to also keep us in front of Texas, assuming everything pans out according to The Plan?

Escambia94

Maybe we've been figured out. Stuff that dive up the middle, knock the O-line back, and contain Tebow. All that can be done in one defensive adjustment. On a side note, Steve Young offered some advice that might help out. When your O-line has problems blocking both sides, have them all block one direction and make the QB pick up the off-side. Perhaps our O-line coach needs to look into such a scheme?

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Despite claims to the contrary, I think UF is playing not to lose. Meyer is taking zero risks, and Tebow has just turned into a game manager.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Despite claims to the contrary, I think UF is playing not to lose. Meyer is taking zero risks, and Tebow has just turned into a game manager.

I've had that thought as well, but sometimes certain plays are called or Tebow does something that goes against that idea.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

I must agree to disagree; that's Zookish and not Meyer's philosophy at all.

We don't have the playmakers on offense as we did a year ago; that's one of th ereasons why we're not running up the score on our opponents as we did last year.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Instead of creating one of these threads after every single game and bogging down the site, why don't we just make an Official Bitch About The Play Calling thread? That way there will be one convenient place for everyone to go to after a win to complain about our continuous winning.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
instead of creating one of these threads after every single game and bogging down the site, why don't we just make an official bitch about the play calling thread? That way there will be one convenient place for everyone to go to after a win to complain about our continuous winning.

post of the year!

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
I must agree to disagree; that's Zookish and not Meyer's philosophy at all.

We don't have the playmakers on offense as we did a year ago; that's one of th ereasons why we're not running up the score on our opponents as we did last year.

We don't have the playmakers? Yes, we do have playmakers; we're just not using them. We have a severely underused receiving corps because Tebow throws to no one not named Cooper or Hernandez. We haven't scored a lot because we're not executing properly and we're bad in the red zone. And Tebow has yet to play like the Tebow of the past 3 years. Maybe it's just the aftereffects of his concussion, but it seems to me like he's been instructed to take zero chances.

Also, is that the message you want recruits getting? If you go to UF, you'll end up like Deonte Thompson, who's waited his turn, and all he gets to do is block and doesn't even get the ball when he's wide open?

Regardless, there's a very good chance this conservative, play-it-safe strategy will bite UF when it's crunch time against someone like Alabama. I know Meyer has a lot of confidence in this team, but you can't just flip on a switch and start playing amazing on offense when you suddenly are in a close game.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
We don't have the playmakers? Yes, we do have playmakers; we're just not using them. We have a severely underused receiving corps because Tebow throws to no one not named Cooper or Hernandez. We haven't scored a lot because we're not executing properly and we're bad in the red zone. And Tebow has yet to play like the Tebow of the past 3 years. Maybe it's just the aftereffects of his concussion, but it seems to me like he's been instructed to take zero chances.

Also, is that the message you want recruits getting? If you go to UF, you'll end up like Deonte Thompson, who's waited his turn, and all he gets to do is block and doesn't even get the ball when he's wide open?

Regardless, there's a very good chance this conservative, play-it-safe strategy will bite UF when it's crunch time against someone like Alabama. I know Meyer has a lot of confidence in this team, but you can't just flip on a switch and start playing amazing on offense when you suddenly are in a close game.

The fact that we're 10-0 at this juncture with a chance to go 11-0 and even undefeated means nothing to you? I'll tell anybody who thinks they can do a better job coaching this team than Meyer and his staff are doing to go out there and prove it. So much complaining, and not enough rallying behind our kids no matter what. It's beyond tiresome!

I'll agree that we're not executing properly, but that's not 100% the fault of the coaches, contrary to what so many fans think. We're not dealing with pee-wees in kindergarten here; we're dealing with young adults at the college level. The coaches can only hold their hands for so long, and then school's out. Was the fact that Riley Cooper and Jeff Demps dropped catchable balls the fault of the coaches? No way - they didn't follow through on their assignments, and Demps took his eyes off the ball. That's an error solely laden on HIM - not Coach Meyer or Coach Carter.

Nobody gave us a chance last year against Alabama in the SECCG; it was a tough game, but we found a way to win - and there I give Meyer a lot of credit as well as our guys for persevering right up to the very end. That's playing to win - not playing to avoid a loss. I see us doing the same thing again this year, too.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
The fact that we're 10-0 at this juncture with a chance to go 11-0 and even undefeated means nothing to you? I'll tell anybody who thinks they can do a better job coaching this team than Meyer and his staff are doing to go out there and prove it. So much complaining, and not enough rallying behind our kids no matter what. It's beyond tiresome!

I'll agree that we're not executing properly, but that's not 100% the fault of the coaches, contrary to what so many fans think. We're not dealing with pee-wees in kindergarten here; we're dealing with young adults at the college level. The coaches can only hold their hands for so long, and then school's out. Was the fact that Riley Cooper and Jeff Demps dropped catchable balls the fault of the coaches? No way - they didn't follow through on their assignments, and Demps took his eyes off the ball. That's an error solely laden on HIM - not Coach Meyer or Coach Carter.

Nobody gave us a chance last year against Alabama in the SECCG; it was a tough game, but we found a way to win - and there I give Meyer a lot of credit as well as our guys for persevering right up to the very end. That's playing to win - not playing to avoid a loss. I see us doing the same thing again this year, too.
Most UF fans expected a win in that game last year. The media might not have, but Gator fans did.

And you proved my point. That team found a way to win. They persevered. Because they executed properly and knew how to play in the 4th quarter. From what we've seen from this team, what in this season leads you to believe we can do that? Just because we did it last year?

And where did I say it meant nothing? Undefeated means a lot. But 10-0 isn't the end. When they're 14-0, then we can start saying just how truly great they were and how they were perfect. But they aren't there yet. I seem to remember another team in 1995 that was 12-0 and got steamrolled when it mattered most. I don't expect that again, but we still have some games to play before we can start talking about a perfect season.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Most UF fans expected a win in that game last year. The media might not have, but Gator fans did.

And you proved my point. That team found a way to win. They persevered. Because they executed properly and knew how to play in the 4th quarter. From what we've seen from this team, what in this season leads you to believe we can do that? Just because we did it last year?

And where did I say it meant nothing? Undefeated means a lot. But 10-0 isn't the end. When they're 14-0, then we can start saying just how truly great they were and how they were perfect. But they aren't there yet. I seem to remember another team in 1995 that was 12-0 and got steamrolled when it mattered most. I don't expect that again, but we still have some games to play before we can start talking about a perfect season.

It means MORE than a lot to me; we're on the verge of accomplishing something that has never been done in the history of Gator football. However, I can't speak for all the negative-nancies and the constant whiners who expect this team to be picture-perfect and nothing less, and frankly I'm sick and tired of all their nonsense.

Don't use the word "perfect". This team isn't perfect, nor will they ever be. Those who demand perfection from this team need to re-think their priorities.

Don't underestimate this team; when they know they're facing a vaunted rival or key game they still find a way to win. On any given day, any team can win - the tough ones and the smart ones will overcome adversity. We have the talent to make it happen; I have faith in them and know they can iron out the rough spots before the F$U game and Atlanta.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema