• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread: Week 7, #7 Florida Gators 28, #5 LSU 42 9/12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Signing off. Oh well it was a heck of a game for three quarters.
Same here: Just waves my new Gator friends (from Lake City, turns out) over, passes em backstage and got them into the free food spread area for the “artists”, so they’re somewhat mollified anyway. Now can concentrate on MY JOB for real, maybe even do some real work here now...not that it really required all that much anyway—but it’s in my best interest NOT to spread THAT too widely (lol). See y’all next time—and we damn we’ll better not get beat TEICE like last year either: Gotta go out and TROUNCE that SC team next game.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I know it does not feel like it, but this is a respectable loss. The Gators probably will gain more respect in this loss than they did in the Auburn victory.

Escambia94

43200982-D08B-4CF5-97D1-474C4029C849.jpeg

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do give this team credit for fighting til the very end—but they just could not FINISH...all their game-long good work went for naught when they lost first one, then the other Pass Rusher.
WITH them, it’s a different game in the 2nd half...but I feel we ALSO saw Trask’s limitations tonight...all his strengths as a leader, a passer AND YES, a GAME MANAGER were on display—but we also saw just why we will NOT be an elite Offense with him as the starter—whereas I believe we WILL, or at least CAN GET THERE with Emory Jones in there. We haven’t SEEN a full on use of the whole Mullens playbook yet. That’ll come with Emory’s ascension.
For now, well, the best we’ll get THIS year is MAYBE beating UGA, winning out from here and then losing to the Tide in Atlanta, going to a New Year’s Day bowl with one, perhaps TWO fewer losses than LAST season—which, if you stop and fairly consider it, is probably just about right in line with our current development and progress level—a very good showing in just Mullen’s 2nd season here. I don’t know if we’ll WIN a Championship next season—but I feel we are on pace to make the PLAYOFF in 2020 and take it ALL in 2021.

Escambia94

I do give this team credit for fighting til the very end—but they just could not FINISH...all their game-long good work went for naught when they lost first one, then the other Pass Rusher.
WITH them, it’s a different game in the 2nd half...but I feel we ALSO saw Trask’s limitations tonight...all his strengths as a leader, a passer AND YES, a GAME MANAGER were on display—but we also saw just why we will NOT be an elite Offense with him as the starter—whereas I believe we WILL, or at least CAN GET THERE with Emory Jones in there. We haven’t SEEN a full on use of the whole Mullen’s playbook yet. That’ll come with Emory’s ascension.
For now, well, the best we’ll get THIS year is MAYBE beating UGA, winning out from here and then losing to the Tide in Atlanta, going to a New Year’s Day bowl with one fewer loss than LAST season—which, if you stop and fairly consider it, is probably just about right in line with our current development and progress level—a very good showing in just Mullen’s 2nd season here. I don’t know if we’ll WIN a Championship next season—but I feel we are on pace to make the PLAYOFF in 2020 and take it ALL in 2021.

There is no statistical support for you trashing Kyle Trask’s performance. He outgunned Joe Burrow.

Escambia94

Florida’s defense could not withstand the loss of Greenard and Zuniga. Dan Mullen made some questionable calls in the game. Receivers were letting footballs hit their hands. Perine was consistently a step too late into the hole. Despite all that, the Gators played a very good game in the first half and half of the third quarter. All their goals are still in front of them with the Fighting Muschamps next week, and the UGly Bulldogs the game after that. If they can fix the running game and red zone offense, and they get a somewhat healthy Greenard and Zuniga back, they can still win the East.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is no statistical support for you trashing Kyle Trask’s performance. He outgunned Joe Burrow.
You read that as “trashing”? I think that was a realistic, if stark, assessment of his actual performance. I LOVE the kid. Sorry you see it that way—but never mind “stats” for a moment: you saw more of the details of that 4th quarter than I did. He did his best, all we can ask. But it was fraught with key errors, and what happened, happened.
Let’s both watch the replay; I’ll temper my analysis if I believe, in a calmer moment, that I was too hard on him...but it doesn’t FEEL from this juncture that I am being “hard” at ALL—just calling what I saw. If you still feel I am wrong at THAT point, well, make your case...but this is more and more a dangerous case of a potential rift in Gator outlook and where we go from here: I believe that Mullens HIMSELF is already planning to make the change—at the very least he will give Emory EVERY CHANCE to take it. It is time for him to FULLY “open up the playbook”...and frankly, I don’t see, aside from some irrelevant popularity contest, why any Gator fan would WANT to see such evolution stunted.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Florida’s defense could not withstand the loss of Greenard and Zuniga. Dan Mullen made some questionable calls in the game. Receivers were letting footballs hit their hands. Perine was consistently a step too late into the hole. Despite all that, the Gators played a very good game in the first half and half of the third quarter. All their goals are still in front of them with the Fighting Muschamps next week, and the UGly Bulldogs the game after that. If they can fix the running game and red zone offense, and they get a somewhat healthy Greenard and Zuniga back, they can still win the East.
For SURE that is true.
I for one remain unconvinced that their guys, all healthy, are superior to OUR squad if similarly healthy and playing.
But NEITHER of us are better, or even as good as, the Tide right now.
Bottom Line: The Gator standard, as Mullens himself has acknowledged repeatedly, is for CHAMPIONSHIPS...anything else is just nice window-dressing on our way to further improvement. Period. End of discussion.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Mullen got too cute with the play-calling in the fourth quarter. At 3 and 1, RUN THE DAMN BALL. I'm sure TRASK could have QB sneak it. Also that "philly special". I think we could have at least got to OT. Also, won those Auburn games in 2006 and 2007 if Mullen didn't get too cute even though the refs blew that fumble call in 2006 (LEAK'S ARM WENT FORWARD AKA IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCOMPLETE).

awebbf5

VIP Member
Just remember we take care of business and so does LSU, neutral field in Atlanta. We got to start back up next week against South Carolina.

Go Gators!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Whew WHAT A NIGHT...and somehow I got my work done here without anyone getting TOO impatient at my (freely admitted and warned of) distracted state-of-mind most of the way.
Frank admission:
I’d have actually rather sacrificed some responsible attention-to-detail in return somehow for a Gator Victory tonight—but it doesn’t WORK that way, I know that—I love my Gators that much, but I therefore do make sure I do my job well too! I apologize if I have somehow left ANY responsibility done poorly, in fact anything less than well.
See y’all next week!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Granted yes they are still 6-1 and still have a chance at the SEC East title and hope that Auburn and/or LSU takes care of Bama and they're in the playoffs. There's South Carolina though they might be with their third-string QB, Bye week then UGA, and Mizzo. I want to beat Muschomp bad.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mullen got too cute with the play-calling in the fourth quarter. At 3 and 1, RUN THE DAMN BALL. I'm sure TRASK could have QB sneak it. Also that "philly special". I think we could have at least got to OT. Also, won those Auburn games in 2006 and 2007 if Mullen didn't get too cute even though the refs blew that fumble call in 2006 (LEAK'S ARM WENT FORWARD AKA IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCOMPLETE).
Actually, I agree with you to a certain point—and that “point” is MY point about him needing, wanting, CRAVING the opportunity to “open up the playbook”...Dan Mullens is well-known as the most inventive mind in college offense BECAUSE of that mythical, constantly evolving and expanding “PLAYBOOK-IN-HIS-HEAD“. Bout time we began to get its full benefit, are y’all with me?
Still and all, I am all in with Mullens as our coach! For now, he is trying to do too much with limited supplies and personnel...I greatly appreciate the thrills and excitement he has managed this team up and into, but it only hints at and promises so much more—just clearly enough so that maybe it makes us expect more than we are already lucky to be achieving, given those limitations.
For now, let’s give him credit for getting a whole lot more than anyone else did or would with what we had—and look forward to what is to come!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Granted yes they are still 6-1 and still have a chance at the SEC East title and hope that Auburn and/or LSU takes care of Bama and they're in the playoffs. There's South Carolina though they might be with their third-string QB, Bye week then UGA, and Mizzo. I want to beat Muschomp bad.
I think we have a real chance to win out—especially if we get our two “High ankle sprain-brothers” back by UGA (I am fairly confident we can beat the Gamecocks with those 2 on the bench healing—not by as much, but can get the win while they’re healing, then finish the reg season...I’d LOVE to see us get another shot at Those Tigers in a more neutral environment come the SEC Championship—but seeing as how THEY are no more likely to beat Bama than WE are, I look for a loss in Atlanta even if/when we MAKE it there this time.
Once again then it’ll be on to a New Year’s Bowl, at BEST a two-loss season and ANOTHER “Wait til Next Season” refrain...Does ANYONE doubt that y’all Mullens himself will by then be single-mindedly SEARCHING EVERY AVENUE to an undefeated, clear shot route to top seeding in the 2020 FFF???
(Oh, and btw—though there aren’t more than a coupla potential 5-Stars in our current prospective (2020) recruiting class, there are potentially at this point up to half a DOZEN showing intense interest in US for 2021–which could, all in all, help to make 2021 a turning point, banner YEAR in our eventual return to the center stage spotlight of college football.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema