• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread: Week 0, #9 Florida Gators 24, Miami Tropical Depressions 20 8/24/19

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
19_CWK_CWSite-dd66c73a4f.jpg

Date
: Saturday, Aug. 24 | Time: 7 p.m. EDT/ 6 p.m. CDT
TV: ESPN, SEC Network
Announcers: Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Maria Taylor

All Florida hail! The football season is finally upon us! 2019 marks the 150th year of college football, and it begins with an epic showdown between two storied football programs, the Fighting Gators of Gainesville and the Tropical Depressions of Coral Gables.

The Gators and Hurricanes have not met on the gridiron since 2013, but Miami has won five of the last six matchups dating back to 2002. The two teams have not met regularly since 1987, and have not met in back-to-back seasons since 2004. Miami holds a 29-26 win total advantage over Florida. Regardless of who wins this game, the two teams will begin a home-and-home series in 2024-2025.

To add some drama to this game, it is worth noting that Dan Mullen and Manny Diaz are friends who respect one another, and know one another's philosophies. The Gators are favored by 7.5, while the over-under for total points scored is 47.

Players to watch:
  • Florida QB Feleipe Franks 188/322, 2457 yards, 24 TD, 6 INT, 143.4 RAT. Franks improved 1000+ years, 13 TD, -2 INT, and 30 RAT from 2017 and looks to continue that trend in his second year under Brian Johnson and Dan Mullen.
  • Florida RB Malik Davis returns from injury seeking to regain his 2017 form where he averaged 6.7 yards per touch before being injured in 2018. Lamical Perine and Dameon Pierce combined for 1200 yards in 2018, so the backfield is loaded with a variety of running backs with different styles.
  • Miami All-ACC LB Shaq Quarterman returns with potential NFL draft picks LB
    Michael Pinckney and LB/ Striker Zach McCloud ready to stuff the Gator backfield.
Prediction: The Gators should win this game 32-14 if Franks has a good day. I would take the under on the 47 points, but I would take the Gators covering the 7.5-point spread.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
19_CWK_CWSite-dd66c73a4f.jpg

Date
: Saturday, Aug. 24 | Time: 7 p.m. EDT/ 6 p.m. CDT
TV: ESPN, SEC Network
Announcers: Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Maria Taylor

All Florida hail! The football season is finally upon us! 2019 marks the 150th year of college football, and it begins with an epic showdown between two storied football programs, the Fighting Gators of Gainesville and the Tropical Depressions of Coral Gables.

The Gators and Hurricanes have not met on the gridiron since 2013, but Miami has won five of the last six matchups dating back to 2002. The two teams have not met regularly since 1987, and have not met in back-to-back seasons since 2004. Miami holds a 29-26 win total advantage over Florida. Regardless of who wins this game, the two teams will begin a home-and-home series in 2024-2025.

To add some drama to this game, it is worth noting that Dan Mullen and Manny Diaz are friends who respect one another, and know one another's philosophies. The Gators are favored by 7.5, while the over-under for total points scored is 47.

Players to watch:
  • Florida QB Feleipe Franks 188/322, 2457 yards, 24 TD, 6 INT, 143.4 RAT. Franks improved 1000+ years, 13 TD, -2 INT, and 30 RAT from 2017 and looks to continue that trend in his second year under Brian Johnson and Dan Mullen.
  • Florida RB Malik Davis returns from injury seeking to regain his 2017 form where he averaged 6.7 yards per touch before being injured in 2018. Lamical Perine and Dameon Pierce combined for 1200 yards in 2018, so the backfield is loaded with a variety of running backs with different styles.
  • Miami All-ACC LB Shaq Quarterman returns with potential NFL draft picks LB
    Michael Pinckney and LB/ Striker Zach McCloud ready to stuff the Gator backfield.
Prediction: The Gators should win this game 32-14 if Franks has a good day. I would take the under on the 47 points, but I would take the Gators covering the 7.5-point spread.
(Love the title, BTW)
Yep...Well, here we are...and here we go.
As late as the end of spring I was confident, and would have picked the Gators to win this one pulling away, EASILY covering the spread.
Now, I just don't know. With all the off field stuff that has clouded the view, news from both campuses that have muddied the waters concerning actual talent, scheme and x's and o's, at this point I just don't know.
In an effort to sweep away all the bs, get back to the basics of assessing "what I know and what we can actually SEE", I am going to try and head into tomorrow with a hopefully straight-on view of who WE are, what we got and what has to go well in order for us to live up to the expectations embodied in our #8 ranking (beyond "image and expectation" essentially meaningless, even useless before anyone has played a down) heading in:
Obviously, Franks has got to take that "step up" everyone inside and even outside the program has fitted him for. And that doesn't just go for winning this game: Either this is the year the passionate, tempermental "talented work-in-progress" bursts forth into fully developed star, shows he does indeed have all the tools and can call upon them on demand, or he likely devolves, ultimately self-combusts at key moments, and we are left with an uneven season as Emory Jones is phased into the role of "Future QB-1" and "Gator Savior". I support Franks, see his great potential, hope and expect only the best for him ahead...but let us not forget that he had been sat down, Trask set to replace him at mid-season last year: When Trask broke his leg in practice that very week, Franks returned out of necessity--and more or less reclaimed his form AND place at the center of the offense, restored confidence and calm balance on that offense and reclaimed hope and forward momentum for the remainder of the season. THAT Franks can take us to heights not seen in a decade.
We're NOT as deep as we had hoped or expected, even at places we weren't expected to have such concerns as late as late spring. WE HAVE GOT TO STAY HEALTHY this season...Here's hoping a man named "SAVAGE" (our new Strength & Conditioning Coach) and a reported and observed drastic upgrade in philosophy, approach and just plain hard work and effort on that front bears fruit.
We DO have potential studs'n'stars ALL OVER the field; There are game-changer types everywhere you look on BOTH sides of the line of scrimmage. We have the potential of returning to the type of squad that can dominate the scoreboard again.
Franks DOES take the reins, the squad has a generally fortunate and healthy year, and a reasonable portion of those "future stars" begin their stories NOW, and this could be one of those amazing, (at least to everyone else) surprising, announcing-ourselves-to-the-WORLD seasons.
But with bad luck and lousy breaks young men can stumble, quickly lose their hearts and their way...and it could all still fizzle.
We DO have a good Coach who has assembled a tight, talented and hard-charging staff, and that bodes well as far as dealing with adversity, rolling with the punches, keeping things upbeat and moving forward--above all, getting and KEEPING everyone on the same page, creating that feeling of near-invulnerability and mutual support that comes of being a part of an undeniable TEAM.
In the end, it is THAT that will I think make the difference: Oh, the nay-sayers are already projecting "a step back", the "hators" of "Hator Nation" are circling, popping up here and there on all the "Week Zero" shows...and we WILL have some ups and downs, but I think they will be surmountable, we will DEAL with them--and this will be on the whole at the very LEAST "a pretty satisfying season"--and potentially something a whole lot more than that.

Escambia94

The injury report:
  • Brenton Cox (defensive line) — waiting on waiver due to transfer.
  • C.J. McWilliams (defensive back) — ruptured Achilles tendon, out for the season.
  • David Reese II (linebacker) -- ruptured Achilles tendon, out for the season.
  • Griffin McDowell (offensive lineman) -- questionable, unspecified lower body injury.
  • Jeremiah Moon (linebacker) -- questionable, unspecified injury.
  • Tyrie Cleveland (receiver) -- probable, collar bone.
  • Marco Wilson (defensive back) -- probable, torn ACL.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Early Sat morn:
TV, coffee and fingernail nibblin' time...
DAMN--the minutes are ALREADY creeping by ssssoooooo ssslllloooowwwwllllyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna HAFTA find some way to pass the day, the HOURS, calmly, comfortably--if I'm to be sane and ready at kickoff.
Am "sweatin' the small stuff" at this point: Like, should one of us just drop a "gameday" thread out here--get that outta the way with an obvious place to go?
Aw hell: If no one has done it by the time I'm done here, guess I'LL go ahead and post it, "create new thread" and get it out of the way so at least I don't have to think about it anymore...Yeah, now that I've said it, I'm gonna tick off one more picky little irritant and just try to put the rest off until "later"--as later as I can GET before turning attention to the "800 lb gorilla in the room": WEEK ZERO of the 150th Anniversary Season in College Football!
GO GATORS!!! EAT 'EM UP!!!

Escambia94

I happen to be in Georgia right now, so it has been fun walking around in my Gator gear. There is a surprisingly large continent of Gators out here.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Time has come to see how much another offseason under Dan the man has helped Feleipe.
What's everyone's thoughts on our qb for tonight?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Time has come to see how much another offseason under Dan the man has helped Feleipe.
What's everyone's thoughts on our qb for tonight?
Absolutely.
And now, after weathering their scripted opening series and finally toughening up to hold them to 3, it's time to see just what you are talking about: Way things started here, we might well be DEPENDING on Fillipe in this one after all.
Way things have gone this far, I guess I'm just gonna join you all in "wait'n'see" mode. I am NOT liking how this is going so far...
But the punter takes off! Townsend scampers for a first!

awebbf5

VIP Member
First time in a LONG time have I seen us come out and respond and not be scared cause were already down.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wish they'd fill us in on Perrine's injury: I'm afraid we just lost him for more than just today. He'd have been back already if it weren't serious.
Meanwhile, 4th and 1 to start the 2nd.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damnit. Poor exchange blows the whole drive. That could cost us huge.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gotta say--Though we did that to ourselves, this Miami D hits hard. We damn well better sharpen up and start throwing the ball more if we don't wanna find ourselves BLOWING this one!
Meanwhile, now up to OUR D (well rested, at least) to reassert itself, get it backFAST!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ok: D is dialed IN... Now it's time for Filipe to show he can hit the bomb. Right here, right now. Until he has THAT in his quiver, we will continue to play unevenly on offense.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema