• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New leader (UPDATED)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wow. Y'all are all OVER the place...a mark of the weird version of "certainty and confusion" we face here:
Yeah, our HC has done a marvelous job with the D...and totally bolloxed the offense--and continues to stubbornly impose his ideas 'bout "how it's gonna be", this "pro-style offense" that in truth seems to embody a philosophy that hasn't been in wide use OR acceptance even in the pros since sometime in the early-70's (the 1970's--I THINK...).
As for all the suppositions and theories about if, when or how a change might take place, here is the latest word I'm hearing from someone inside the department who is "in the room" during the latest "frank, let-their-hair-down" (figuratively, of course--not a whole lotta hair left to go around among this group) discussions: General growing attitude, almost beginning-to-coalesce-into-a-consensus, is that Muschamp had his chances here, with injuries, to get himself a sure 'nother year had he not been so stubborn regarding holding onto Pease and "staying the course" despite an offense that seemed as if it had neither evolved nor adapted in any way coming into this season over last, and that by 3 games back was seen and judged unimaginative, ineffective and lacking direction since the start of the season.
At this point, he is no better than 50/50 on being retained for 2014--and even that has as much to do with who will be available and ready to come in as anything he and his team do now. As for that last, an overall losing record, and/or more immediately a loss to Vandy will pretty well seal his fate. Quite an amazing fall for a guy who, after fielding a 1-loss regular season team last year, came in with a superb defense, a couple of great recruiting hauls, and a seeming air-tight hold on his job as the season began.
Personally, I'm more concerned with our long term prognosis as a program, how soon we can be competitive on the national level again--and am still left with my head spinning at the rapid way we've fallen (at least in perception) from a team that had the inside track at a spot in next year's first 4-team playoff to a team with a questionable road back to even competing at that level. I still believe that with the injured returning, the redshirts about to step in, and all the young now-experienced players we'll have back, especially of course on defense, that a Muschamp-run team where he is in charge of that D ONLY (even if he must be practically FORCED to do so) and a proper OC (in effect a co-Head Coach, no matter what you call it) in total charge of a new offense (where Muschamp's influence, his idea of some mythical "pro-style" kind of "run-first" offense no more than a guideline that OC shares in some mainly abstract way, is allowed to hold sway) would still in my view likely give us the quickest, "snap-out-of-it" way back to relevance, even dominance, next season.
The various possible names are debatable, interchangeable to some extent, and, if Muschamp is fired, a veritable grab-bag of multiple opinions and possibilities--but really not as big a pool as might seem when you start really shaking it all out...In fact, the realities of who may or may not be available at present may help to protect Chomp's job at least one more season, as I say, if he can get this thing turned around "just enough"--not exactly the "ringing endorsement" that gets him much MORE than that if he doesn't win big next year regardless...And let's all face it, even if our Head Coach doesn't seem able to: That offense better change, upgrade dramatically to something worth watching, producing some "points AND thrills" PRONTO, if he has any ideas about staying the Gator coach even to the end of 2014, should he retain the job past the end of this one. His continued insistence on standing by Pease (whose main "strength" appears to be continuing to institute Muschamp's mainly primitive and thick-headed idea of what "good offense oughtta be", and rather dumbly parrot his boss's "party line" on the subject when asked about it) as he has done so far in the face of abject failure, and demands for change from the folks who pay him, has gotten him AND us TO this point--and will ultimately lead exactly where it is so far clearly headed unless he somehow comes to his senses and "makes some hard choices". Firing loyal people you like because they aren't getting the job done, in order to improve your team, is also part of the job.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
As tough a time it is now in 2013 to dream up a new coaching staff, it will be much harder in 2014 after USCw and Texas pick over the two best coaching staffs.

I am struggling to come up with any names other than Lane Kiffin. Here is why he makes sense: he knows how to recruit, he is a young up-and-comer, he has in-laws who are from Florida, and most importantly, he can pull together a staff of offensive coaches to draw in great talent and develop the kids for the NFL. With his dad in the NFL, he would consider keeping DJ Durkin and Brad Lawing on defense.

Charlie Strong is the best choice, because he would bring most of his Louisville staff over, and he already can recruit the state of Florida. The Strong and Kiffin discussions are moot if Muschamp is not fired in 2013.

If Muschamp stays, he absolutely needs to replace his OC or, if nobody is available, he needs to promote Joker Philips to co-OC and take away Pease's gameday play caling. This appears to be a more likely scenario--minimum staff changes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
I like your thinking (as usual), E--altho' the "Lane Kiffen"-angle comes against my better judgement...Just can't endorse a loose cannon loudmouth like Kiffiekins, no matter the likely substance (and proper football pedigree) behind all the "flash and dazzle"--but admit the possibility, even likelihood, that it is there...Perhaps a new "Evil Genius"? It's certainly what this offense needs at any rate, it could be argued--though you'd have to reign in his control over D the way Muschamp's influence SHOULD have been (wasn't it SUPPOSED to have been?!!) on offense.
(Wish to HELL we could get Strong in NOW, frankly, or end-of-season to be realistic--perfect to pick up pieces and KEEP the fine D, even elaborate on it, and more realistic/flexible re offense: He's a winner, and I believe ultimately the right man for the job...a Gator thru'n'thru. Not so sure the "stars line up right" at the moment to let it happen, tho'...)

awebbf5

VIP Member
I dont think we will get strong , I see muschamp here for two more years. Its going to be a long two years to.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I dont think we will get strong , I see muschamp here for two more years. Its going to be a long two years to.
While you may be right about Strong, the most Muschamp gets is ONE more season--and it had better be a BANNER year free-of-floundering, a run to the new Playoff-Format at LEAST, with an offense that complements and supports the killer-D we'll likely have, if he is to get beyond that. The restlessness-bordering-on-outrage you hear bubbling up from the Gator-faithful is now beginning to be reflected among the men who Foley must keep content--and time is running out. As I explain at some length earlier, an overall losing record this season, OR an outright loss to Vandy, COULD trigger his dismissal this year (if there were anyone on-staff ready to be "interim Coach" it'd be near immediate in the latter event, but with Pease guaranteed to go with him it would probably have to wait 'til the end--in the hope that one of the other scenarios-of-replacement being discussed would then become possible, timing-wise). As noted, it's been one helluva fall-from-apparent-grace--and frankly, one mostly of his own stubborn doing...Yes, there've been injuries, but even so, his reaction (or rather lack thereof) to what was already clearly an aimless, ineffective offensive scheme--not to mention a steady DECLINE in on-field discipline, flexibility and/or imagination--even BEFORE that "string of bad luck" (?) really began to take hold has left everyone with the impression that it just won't change, and that our Head Coach still doesn't GET it.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am honestly sorry it has come to this--I admire Will Muschamp, his integrity and drive, in many ways. However, I return to the same basic "hard-world bottom-line" that you may recall when we saw the cracks developing in what had been a lofty run with Urban Meyer at the helm: "NO one is bigger than the program." Will Muschamp seemed to grasp that better than most coming in--this blind spot he has for everything-but-Defense, and his concept of how everything else seemingly (in his view) ought to cater to it, I think is his great blindness, his "Achilles Heel"--but regardless, we cannot let it sink the long term health of the program. If he remains inflexible, he must go: sooner rather than later.

Kiffen would be a terrible call for UF. He screwed TN and was not able to do anything at USC which has limitless resources. He is a cheat and lier. Mustgo must go soon. He has slowed UF down and holds players back. I dont know why they hired peace if mustgo is just gonna hold him back. Mustgo reminds me of the couch in " We are the titans" we have 6 plays and thats all we run. If UF wants to be the best they have to hire the best. The SEC is to strong to have a head couch that is second rate.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Muschamp just got a contract extension to 2017 at about $2.75M each year. Even if he is fired he gets $2.75M per year. That makes it tough to cut him before 2016. Say for example he is fired in 2013. Can Florida afford to pay him $2.75M another 4 years and pay a new coach a similar salary?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
How about Gene Chizik? Just have a good OC and QB though his players at Auburn ran amok (ESPN did a story about their spice use). Also Coach LIL Duval.

Though he might let the players run amok like Chizik and that OSU guy.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Escambit: 72240 said:
Muschamp just got a contract extension to 2017 at about $2.75M each year. Even if he is fired he gets $2.75M per year. That makes it tough to cut him before 2016. Say for example he is fired in 2013. Can Florida afford to pay him $2.75M another 4 years and pay a new coach a similar salary?
I will work ot to help pay

Nighthawk

Gator Fan
Hell I will Throw out a name for head coach and back the idea. Jessie Palmer. I like the way he picks the films apart. He seems to have common sense. Those are two things we don't have now.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Mike leach might be interested could be wrong but never heard of him cheating and getting anyone in trouble.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I won't say it's NO consideration--but from what I'm told is being "muttered" by those who do probably drink and talk more than they should (but who, directly or indirectly, also put a lot of money into the program) is that "if this happens and that guy is willing", the trigger could get pulled and the contract "eaten" (More I think about it, more I think Charlie Strong might well be the "guy" in the second part of that otherwise admittedly panicked and unreliable rumor-at-best. Normally I'd figure Muschamp had at LEAST another year no matter what--but you pointed out the danger there already, with some major "grabbing" about to commence in the off-season at a couple of programs (minimum) with similar stature, interests, and needs as ours. (And remember: Muschamp, while getting a scaled raise after last season, still isn't in the "top-of-the-pack" contract-category, but rather in the next tier...That was sitting "out there" waiting 'til he put it all together here: It's crazy, but ya gotta know there's more money ear-marked for a switch, should it come to that--and eventually still more to reward "a winner".)
(Note: I actually wrote this somewhere around the middle of the first half today--remember, I was "monitoring from afar" today, in order to distance/insulate myself from the pain I sensed was on its way, so I'm not exactly sure--then debated posting it at that time, for a lot of reasons, mostly having to do with not wanting to jump the gun OR revel in sour grapes in the middle of what had to be a completely frustrating experience already for all who were watching the play-by-play. I figure now is the time, a sort of "bookend" to my after-game comments, on the gameday thread I think, re the possible gears now beginning to turn--and that'll hopefully stay in the background now for the time being.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hell I will Throw out a name for head coach and back the idea. Jessie Palmer. I like the way he picks the films apart. He seems to have common sense. Those are two things we don't have now.
You know, one of my friends here, a real Aggie, said the same thing WEEKS ago--and I brushed it off...Not so much anymore--tho' I think, like Kerwin Bell and Cris Leak, he would need some seasoning/life-in-the-pressure-cooker experience a notch or two down before being handed the keys to the Kingdom. We've got to be really careful--that is, FOLEY has to get it RIGHT this time...I don't fault his choice this last time, mind you--much here couldn't have been foreseen. We don't know what was said in talks between he and Muscham leading up to that hire, either, but I bet abject, narrow-blinded stubbornness wasn't something that even came up...That's what I mean about "the pressure-cooker" thing: It's the only way to learn, AND the only way such flaws are revealed. One lesson learned here: Always consider VERY carefully what may still be unrevealed about anyone who has had both the seeming stature and at the same time the safety of a "Coach-in-Waiting" situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema