• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New leader (UPDATED)

awebbf5

VIP Member
Ok guys we know we need a new hc, so who are the likely, logical candidates? Charlie Strong is the only real one I know that I think is possible.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Charlie Strong. He is a Florida alumnus and he knows how to recruit south Florida.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Could we get Charlie Strong? Honestly, what would you guys do if you were coaching Louisville? I lean toward staying because let's face it Louisville is a better team than the Gators. However does L'Ville have enough talent for the ACC? I said it's 50-50.

Escambia94

Louisville has been building up its sports programs rapidly over the past few years, but life will get tougher for them in all sports in the ACC. Charlie Strong will run out of magic after a few years in ACC just as Chris Peterson ran out of magic when BSU joined a real conference.

A dream team would be Charlie Strong as head coach, Will Muschamp as defensive coordinator, and Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator. Move DJ Durkin to special teams, and groom Chris Leak as QB coach for an eventual promotion to offensive coordinator.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Louisville has been building up its sports programs rapidly over the past few years, but life will get tougher for them in all sports in the ACC. Charlie Strong will run out of magic after a few years in ACC just as Chris Peterson ran out of magic when BSU joined a real conference.

A dream team would be Charlie Strong as head coach, Will Muschamp as defensive coordinator, and Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator. Move DJ Durkin to special teams, and groom Chris Leak as QB coach for an eventual promotion to offensive coordinator.
Im not big on adding kiffin to the staff, Muschamp would be good as the dcoordinator but I don't see it happening, would love to develop Leak as a O coordinator.

Escambia94

Im not big on adding kiffin to the staff, Muschamp would be good as the dcoordinator but I don't see it happening, would love to develop Leak as a O coordinator.

I did prefix my statement that this was a dream team. In reality, the athletic director picks a head coach, and the head coach assembles his staff. In the thread started by @Dale J. Rodriguez http://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/5-million-reasons-to-bring-in-charlie-strong.17038/ I added an analysis of what it would cost to bring in a new leader. The answer is $5M to buyout someone like Charlie Strong, but the actual cost is a total of $50M for someone like Charlie Strong to pay a winning coaching staff. Charlie Strong is a great choice, because he and much of his staff spent much time at Florida. Charlie was at Florida from 1983-1984 as a graduate assistant, then LB coach from 1988-1989, then DB coach from 1991-1993, then assistant head coach and defensive tackle coach in 1994, before spending 2003 to 2009 as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. He also has coaches Vance Bedford and Kenny Carter who spent time at Florida as assistants. His offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has big game play calling experience at Nebraska. One of his other coaches were assistants at Florida State.

It just makes sense to go bring Charlie Strong home.

awebbf5

VIP Member
I did prefix my statement that this was a dream team. In reality, the athletic director picks a head coach, and the head coach assembles his staff. In the thread started by @Dale J. Rodriguez http://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/5-million-reasons-to-bring-in-charlie-strong.17038/ I added an analysis of what it would cost to bring in a new leader. The answer is $5M to buyout someone like Charlie Strong, but the actual cost is a total of $50M for someone like Charlie Strong to pay a winning coaching staff. Charlie Strong is a great choice, because he and much of his staff spent much time at Florida. Charlie was at Florida from 1983-1984 as a graduate assistant, then LB coach from 1988-1989, then DB coach from 1991-1993, then assistant head coach and defensive tackle coach in 1994, before spending 2003 to 2009 as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. He also has coaches Vance Bedford and Kenny Carter who spent time at Florida as assistants. His offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has big game play calling experience at Nebraska. One of his other coaches were assistants at Florida State.

It just makes sense to go bring Charlie Strong home.
totally agree but is it possible? Are boosters and fans pushing it enough that Foley is thinking about it? Or is he gonna ride Muschamp out?

Escambia94

totally agree but is it possible? Are boosters and fans pushing it enough that Foley is thinking about it? Or is he gonna ride Muschamp out?

From what I can gather, the boosters are just now starting to get antsy after the Georgia game. As of Saturday morning, the boosters and, more importantly, Jeremy Foley, were supportive of Muschamp coming back next year.

Keep in mind that since the end of the Urban Meyer era, Foley and the boosters have been harder to read than in years past, and it is possible that the boosters are less "powerful" than they were in the past.

Most of the "experts" think that Muchamp is safe for now, barring a horrible turnout against Vanderbilt. They would also agree that Charlie Strong is on the list, alongside some dark horse candidate that is lurking out there. When you see lists that include Kliff Kingsbury, Kevin Sumlin, Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy, etc you can automatically blow off those lists as being less credible. You can also blow off the lists that have definite proof from the boosters and Jeremy Foley, because in reality those groups have been very secretive after learning a few lessons at the end of the Zook and Meyer years.

awebbf5

VIP Member
From what I can gather, the boosters are just now starting to get antsy after the Georgia game. As of Saturday morning, the boosters and, more importantly, Jeremy Foley, were supportive of Muschamp coming back next year.

Keep in mind that since the end of the Urban Meyer era, Foley and the boosters have been harder to read than in years past, and it is possible that the boosters are less "powerful" than they were in the past.

Most of the "experts" think that Muchamp is safe for now, barring a horrible turnout against Vanderbilt. They would also agree that Charlie Strong is on the list, alongside some dark horse candidate that is lurking out there. When you see lists that include Kliff Kingsbury, Kevin Sumlin, Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy, etc you can automatically blow off those lists as being less credible. You can also blow off the lists that have definite proof from the boosters and Jeremy Foley, because in reality those groups have been very secretive after learning a few lessons at the end of the Zook and Meyer years.
so we need a loss to vandy lol

Escambia94

Honestly I would rather save some dignity by beating Vanderbilt and Georgia Southern at home so that we can go 5-1 in the Swamp (assuming FSU stomps the Gators 72-2), the team gets a 0.500 record, and the Gators get into the Bubba's Bait-and-Tackle Bowl with a chance to beat Lower Southwest Central Arkansas State College and go 7-6 on the season.

Vanderbilt would have to beat Florida 66-0 in order for Jeremy Foley to fire Muschamp in an injury plagued season only one year after going 11-2 and giving the man a decent pay raise. I *think* that Foley will encourage Muschamp to find a new OC and OL coach for 2014, then serve him a warning that he needs to field a competitive team in 2014--one with a top-100 offense and a top-5 defense that maybe even wins the SEC East. Maybe.

Escambia94

What sucks about our situation is that when Muschamp is fired next year, USC and Texas will have taken the best coaches on the market.

I wonder if Texas will take him back as a DC? At this point, I really do not care. I am so fed up with this coaching staff. I have stood by them and defended them for so long. I feel betrayed by their stubbornness and stupidity. I catch myself looking at my Nike Gator "Pride" jersey and wondering what exactly I have to be proud of nowadays. I just cancelled my yearly alumni donation and have scrapped plans of attending the FSU game. I told myself last week that I would turn off ESPN text notifications, but I could not stay away. Friday night I will delete my ESPN favourite teams, cancel all text notifications, and sign out of all Gator forums. My boycott will last until next year, other than some scathing, snippy remarks here on the forum.

Escambia94

Let us assume Muschamp stays a year as long as he replaces the OC. Who is on your list?

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
Joker, Cam Camron, or a new younger hot shot from Div IA or II whose name we really don't know.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema