• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Latest Silliness?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No one here on our more "level-headed site" seems especially interested in the some of the strident declarations being slung against various walls out there, but the most notable stuff is worth noting here, especially when it involves our program.
For example, ESPN is suddenly pushing THIS idea:
"DJ Lagway ought to be the Gators' starting QB heading INTO 2024."
Now, I personally consider it one of the few "saving graces" of the way things have gone these last few weeks that after having lucked out LAST year with Graham Mertz's arrival and relative fit, our now holding onto DJ and having a chance for him to evolve in an orderly fashion under Mertz in what can only be a tough freshman season facing one the toughest schedules in one of the toughest CONFERENCES, we handle things VERY CAREFULLY going forward. We DEVELOP this kid, give him the opportunity to grow into the role--whatever that entails.
What happens next must depend on how strongly and quickly he in fact does "evolve", AND the actual circumstances that ensue. But there should be no huge rush to move him up into the starting role.
What do y'all think?
Personally, right now I am a whole lot more concerned with the OC position: Who will that BE? Is Billy even going to finally name one after all??! Most have been hollering for it, assumed that he was waiting until after the '23 season--but we are by now WELL into the post-season and still NOTHING. He has never promised to do so; he hasn't really said ANYTHING ABOUT IT, now that I think about it. I've had my theories as to what that might have meant, but have been mostly taking a "wait'n'see" approach throughout what has turned out to otherwise be a mostly worrisome period.
Most of us think it clear he NEEDS THE HELP during games--all KINDS of signs of it the past season.
But it continues to look as if our Coach doesn't agree.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Here is the list of starting true freshman QBs in the SEC:
- N/A

Any clown that suggests starting a freshman QB in the SEC is just that--a clown.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Mertz did prove himself and should be the starter for 2024. He was one of the highlights last season. I'm sure that DJ could be the guy but not until 2025 unless Mertz is injuried.

Escambia94

This topic was brought up on the Alli Peek podcast with none other than Urban Meyer. Love him or hate him, Meyer basically said that even though he knew he had a good player in Tim Tebow that he was not going to start him as a true freshman. Even if I had a time machine and saw that DJ Lagway would be in the College Football Hall of Fame in 2035 I still would not start him heading into 2024 and possibly not at all in 2024.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here is the list of starting true freshman QBs in the SEC:
- N/A

Any clown that suggests starting a freshman QB in the SEC is just
Mertz did prove himself and should be the starter for 2024. He was one of the highlights last season. I'm sure that DJ could be the guy but not until 2025 unless Mertz is injuried.
Yes. Glad to see we are on the same page here.
The ESPN article pretty much floored me when I saw it--I mean, those fools seem to lack both eyes AND brains!
It's one thing to "stir things up". It's another thing for "major influencers" to betray their blind, utter ignorance and stupidity.

Escambia94

Yes, Chris Leak did start the majority of his freshman season but Zook started someone else first.
That was a) 20 years ago b) a mediocre team c) an absolute necessity due to the poor play from Ingle Martin and Gavin Dickey and d) a result of bad recruiting from Ron Zook. There are no starting freshman QBs in the SEC in 2023.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema