• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Harvin is back disguised as Rainey!!!

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Shortbus and I have collectively decided Harvin is back ^in raineys jersey. Rainey was beasting it tonight and looking alot like Harvin. Hopefully he can continue to improve and things will be looking good for us!!

CHOMP CHOMP

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Nah. Rainey is his own person. Both are good, but Harvin was not that good where every running back wearing a 1 should be compared to him.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'll take tonight's Rainey over ANY small back I've seen in a LONG time--including Harvin, and yes, including Demps--who I hope is OK, but frankly, looks to have some durability issues (the bane of small backs, including Harvin--remember?), but Coach Boom trotted out Burton, then Gillisley, then BROWN, um, OK, OK, I get it--we have depth AND versatility in the running game. I'd STILL like to have seen more "vertical game" in the first half than that one "come-backer" right at the start (Q: When WAS the last time #12 threw a long one to hit the open WR in-stride for a TD? Since he became the starter last year, has he EVER???), but this staff knew what it had and what it wanted in the second half once we got to it, no doubt there.
As for Demps, for his sake (healthwise, both as a football speedback AND his Olympic-caliber track-career) AND to give the offense more "looks" and options, we may have to use him more as a change-of-pace RB back there, interchangeable with Gillisley, Burton, and others, totaling maybe 10 or 12 carries per game, on average. What do y'all thimk?
Things to work on this week: (1) self-discipline and efficient execution on offense--only way to iron out penalty issues, then (2) work on the medium- to long-passing game, and expect to HAVE to use it: I can't see Tennessee just letting us run and dump it off for a third week in a row, and (3) REDZONE REDZONE REDZONE--work on redzone offense: a long FG to redeem a stall, a breakdown or penalties (like the first one last week) now and then is OK, otherwise it's to win or tie late in a close contest...but repeatedly trading them for TDs at HOME and in the 1st half is unacceptable, and is likely to get us beat ANYWHERE in the SEC (it'll KILL us on the road).
The good news: we won, but the players themselves, the playmakers on offense caught on the way off the field and in post game questioning (while calmly and in positive fashion acknowledging that win), seemed well aware of these very areas of concern, mentioning the need to get to the film and see how they could improve, and to a man noting the redzone issues as something that was a problem that needed to be addressed and worked on. Where LAST year coaches AND players were closed and defensive even after wins, quick to go to the "We won, didn't we?"-challenge at any mention of mistake, breakdown, or general concern, this time around they are quickly moving on, addressing those very "mistakes, concerns and breakdowns" themselves as soon as the game is over, ahead even of a perfectionist Head Coach and staff who are on the same page with them. They've got a lot of work ahead and a long way to go, but they are clearly COACHABLE, and we've got such good COACHES.
This team will continue to learn, grow and improve--how far and how fast and where that will take them THIS season depends upon so many unknown factors and unpredictable variables that as a fan it is impossible for me to say (and not a whole lot easier for an expert INSIDER, either, I'm thinking), but this much is clear: the Florida Gators are on their way back to greatness, dominance on the national college football scene. They couldn't possibly be in better hands, now and for some years to come.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
So I'm only half way through the "new threads" so excuse me if this has already been answered:

I watched the game at a bar with no audio. I have no idea what happened to Demps, I was freaking out when he wasn't coming back into the game. Anybody know what's up?

Escambia94

Since.the thread is about Rainey and Harvin, I will start there before I wander off topic. I agree with Dru here. I think people forget that although Harvin was explosive, he got hurt a lot even in open space. That means he had to exert 110% of his average capability in order to produce. He gets kudos for doing that, but look at the price. In addition he had migraines that held him out of regular, dependable touches. Rainey puts in 100% of his average effort and produces as much as Harvin, and we can feed him twice as many times at any point in the season that he is not suspended. Write this down: Rainey is a better player than Harvin. Maybe not a better athlete, but a better team player. That is what I want. Demps is also up there as an athlete, but is still learning as a player. He put off track to become a better player.

The future of the Gators should be running backs like Rainey and Demps, not Harvin. Harvin was...wait for it...OVER RATED. One thing he did that Rainey may not do is gain you points in Fantasy Football. Maybe Harvin also gains some hype footage on ESPN. So what? I do not care for fantasy football. I do not care if we are on ESPN. It would be nice to wake up Sunday nothing in my Gator pajamas and see, Rainey run 22 yards per carry like Harvin, but as long as he runs for more than 5 YPC (he is at 8 YPC) running and 10 YPC receiving (he is at 17)then I am happy. As we should all be. Those numbers get us wins where it matters--on the field.

Escambia94

Wow I sure didn't think this thread would go ^in this direction.... IMO Harvin was one of our best.....

I get that a lot. I respectfully disagree with most opinions on Harvin. Then again, years ago I respectfully disagreed that Herschel Walker would be the best running back in NFL history and that Emmitt Smith would be a bust. Just saying. I tend to go against the flow.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If only the Rainey/Harvin comparison/debate were the sole or even CENTRAL "problem" facing our offense this week, and in the weeks to come (and, just to throw ANOTHER bit of fuel on this fire, where oh where is Dubose, once unfairly and prematurely dubbed "the next Harvin", in all of this? IS there a problem there? WILL he ever finally find consistent success? We see FLASHES of his dynamic talent here and there, but somehow, even with our vacuum at "go-to, breakout, deep threat WR" he has yet to grab a spot on the first team and make it his).
We'll get into this in detail on other threads this week (it has already begun), but I'll just repeat the obvious here, for now:
While we can do a certain amount to (in Coach's words) "tighten up" play in the area of penalties (most of them have been procedural ones, badly timed) and breakdowns in concentration and focus that have stalled drives and rendered that uneven "feel" to the offense's style, or "flow of play", there are signs that that offense may be lacking in certain important areas, at least it has so far--and that will take some time, work and hard decisions (and perhaps even a drastic change at QB, ultimately, if it doesn't improve--but that is still down the road a ways--and everyone will know it, be HOWLING for it I suspect, if that becomes necessary) to get fixed. I am talking about the evident holes in our passing game. I'll not go into all my observations and concerns again here, but suffice it to say just this: Brantley STILL hasn't shown he can throw ANY of the classic stretch-the-field long passes in a real game when it counts (even that fly-ball come-backer at the start of last night's game--of which I heartily approved, by the way, and urge more of from time-to-time--depended at LEAST as much on the WR correctly running off the deep-guy and, knowing where the ball is while the defender DOESN'T, coming back for it at the last possible moment and catching it underneath...in other words, an UNDERthrow, something I'm sorry to say Brantley DOES seem a "natural" at); also, he does NOT throw the fade with ANY touch or accuracy, a real problem for this offense, in the redzone. In fact, he has yet to show ANYTHING in the way of "putting it thru' a small moving window" into the hands of a receiver in the endzone, EVER. Getting a little late in his "development" to expect it, too. Comments?

Escambia94

My comments are in the "Rebooting Brantley" threat, but I will summarize here. Either Brantley has been told to hold back, or he still does not have "it". I just do not see anything from him that gives me confidence in his abilities to lead us to an SEC championship game. That's okay, because I saw a spark in his replacement, Jeff Driskel. I also saw that Driskel needs some more time, so we should give Brantley and Driskel both time in SEC play to perfect the offense.

Going back to Rainey, I think he will again be the key next week. This week showed us that Burton and Joyer can pick up the slack if the Tennessee offensive line proves too big for Rainey and Demps. Gillislee had a good day as well, so it looks like we will be running against the Vols next week.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It sounds like we're on the same page here, E-, re Brantley AND Driskel...same for what will be an effective and NECESSARY rotation with the RBs, both to keep the small ones healthy and to get maximum traction in our running game by taking advantage of the strength and versatility that the several OTHER talented backs offer ("as a change-up", Weis said, but it's deeper and more promising than that)--I also talk about this elsewhere (but forget where, been bouncing around here the last 36 hours or so, it seems)...I'll switch over to "Rebooting...", read and respond in a moment.
As for Rainey, all the promise in the last couple of years, and the rising undercurrent of "he's really the stand out" coming from coaches and players all spring and summer, is turning out to be solid and real: Chris' game is just blowin' UP! With his combination of raw speed, instant cut-back elusiveness and determined, slippery drive for more yards, he gets better every game--and he's ALREADY one of college football's most dangerous runners in open space.
(Oh, and IA will get a kick out of THIS, considering this thread's title and the observations from he and Shortbus that started it: I was flipping around tonight catching up on both college and pro scores, highlights and reactions to all of 'em when I caught a voice-over announcer on one of the more obscure channels/shows narrating the highlights to the Vikings' game, and upon waxing enthusiastic on Percy Harvin's opening KO run and his general skills and value as a weapon, he added words to the effect that "...with all that speed down in Florida, the Gators have a few more of these flyers, one named Chris Rainey who is tearing it up for them, with Olympic speedster Jeff Demps beside him in the same backfield Charlie Weis says he's NEVER had this kind of speed before, at ANY level--so you KNOW the draft experts are sitting up and taking notes...")

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Debose is a bust. He had a few flashes of brilliance like DRU said but I don't expect anything else from him.

escamb your original reply to my quote made me LOL. I don't blMe you for going against the grain sometimes lol , but I will def stick to my guns as Harvin is filed ^in with the other gator greats.

Escambia94

I will say that Harvin is an awesome kick returner. Besides, we do not have to agree on everything. Harvin is definitely a Gator great. I just think he could have done better.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, we DEFINITELY don't need to start "walking on egg shells" here at the Envy, or worrying about being polite or insulting each other--though that HAS happened from time to time, we work it out and move on (actually, given how strongly we all feel about this stuff, it's a wonder it doesn't happen MORE, and a mark of the level of intelligence, trust, and solidarity that characterizes this site). One of the many things I really love and appreciate about GE, to the point where I probably take it for granted most of the time, is that you CAN just "put it out there" and expect a strong, informed-yet-opinionated personal response from someone who has their own outlook and approach, and has actually given your comment some thought before responding.
(By the way--and this may be on my mind along with all the other things that the 9/11 discussion has aroused in me--I wish this were a lesson and reality that was more widespread in the at large society and its political discourse: on the one hand there is the emotion-laden, polarizingly shallow attack-demagoguery of what passes for "public opinion" on the internet, and on the other a kind of nervous, even delicate discomfort with any disagreement or strongly stated views among "normal folks" when they physically get together in a group. "People--neither extreme is healthy or desirable for the healthy functioning of our republic OR our day-to-day lives!!!" OK--got THAT off my chest, even if I AM "preaching to the choir" here...)

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Way off topic but while we are talking about performing gators how about Hernandez just killing it with NE.....that guy is amazing!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Guys like Hernandez and Harvin are erasing the reputation of late that Gator offensive-playmakers aren't very effective once they get to the pros...Likewise, I believe that by next year it will be clear to everyone outside Gator Nation that we have a NEW crop coming on right now that are just as dynamic, and they too will eventually dominate at the next level, each in his own unique way. (Not gonna call 'em out yet, let 'em keep gettin' better, but I'll bet if we each made a short list, those would be pretty close to all-the-same...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Isn't that strange? I think he has always been under-rated, "much maligned"--blamed for all the flaws and breakdowns of not-very-good teams, though...but he has also seemed to come alive, raised his game of late. He ALWAYS had a "live" arm. I heard Spurrier on one of the ESPN radio-personality-shows while in my car yesterday, and HE said that after Wuerfel, Grossman was his best all around QB at UF, mostly 'cause of his great arm (though he also mentions Shane Mathews in there as well). Well, he's managed to have a career, and apparently hang around long enough to not only gain great experience but to somehow improve physically. Like they say, "Better late than never", right?

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Exactly, no matter how long they are ^in the NFL everyone remembers what college they came from haha and we need more gator representation out there

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema