• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators Defense vs. Oklahoma

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
So the Sooners have scored 60+ like 5-6 games in a row. Time for our defense to step up and end that streak.

Let me start by saying im a huge gator fan, I mean I bleed orange and blue, I even went as far as getting a gator tattoo on my arm. I do believe our defense will slow them down some but I do not believe they will stop them a 100% they will score at least 30. I do hope we can stop them tho.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well it's going to be the best offense the Gators have faced though I don't know the speed of the Big 12 Defense.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
OU put up huge numbers for two reasons.

1. Big 12 defenses aren't as good as SEC defenses.
2. OU needed huge victories to ensure they played in the Big 12 title game and not UT. Except for the Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miami game, Florida's real offense never played 4 full quarters.

Of course they have a great offense, but the above 2 facts must be take into consideration.

SWAMPTHING08

Gator Fan
I definetly think are defense will be able to stop their offense. But another question is can their defense stop fla's offense?

OU's D is kind of a strange one this year. We have speed. We have some big hitters. We also have 9 new starters this year, 2 linebackers have been knocked out too. (Ryan Reynolds against texASS, and his backup Austin Box at ok. st.) They've gotten more accustomed to the schemes as the year has gone on. Dont be fooled, OU's D can be downright nasty when they execute a great gameplan. As for the BCS funk we're in lately, honestly no one around here can figure that one out. I just hope OU doesnt do that this time.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I believe OU has a decent defense, but I don't think it's as good as USC's (Columbia) or Alabama's.

Maybe OU's defense will match up to us better than SEC defenses? I doubt it, but I haven't seen many OU games, so my commentary is less qualified than normal.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
If we were able to score 31 against Bama, who had a good d-line, had Saban to draw up defenses, AND we didn't have Harvin, I don't see how we don't score a lot against OU. Unless UF doesn't come to play or has turnovers, I don't see how UF's offense is stopped.

UF d vs. OU offense will be the key matchup. We need to hold them under 35 points.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
If we were able to score 31 against Bama, who had a good d-line, had Saban to draw up defenses, AND we didn't have Harvin, I don't see how we don't score a lot against OU. Unless UF doesn't come to play or has turnovers, I don't see how UF's offense is stopped.

UF d vs. OU offense will be the key matchup. We need to hold them under 35 points.

I agree with you there. I expect us to put up 45+, assuming we have 1 turnover at most and it's not garbage time.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan

2. OU needed huge victories to ensure they played in the Big 12 title game and not UT. Except for the Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miami game, Florida's real offense never played 4 full quarters.

Of course they have a great offense, but the above 2 facts must be take into consideration.

1. Is the defenses of the Big 12 down because of the offenses? The SEC, outside of Florida, is not exactly a strong offensive conference.
2. OU had to win. They played and beat #2 Texas Tech, #12 Okie Lite to end the season. They were close before and jumped after.

OU's offense has been on fire since losing to Texas. Much like Florida has been on fire since losing to Ole Miss.

timefor#8

Gator Fan

Actually Sam Bradford missed the equivalant of 2 whole games this year on the bench after huge leads.

castawaygator

VIP Member
OU D is mostlikely having a down year!!! the only team that scored less than 10 was chattanooga!!! which got a safety. WASHINGTON!!!! yes WASHINGTON!!! scored 14 on them.

most other games OU let the other teams get on about 4 TD on average. so if you are spotting a team close to 30 you better be scoring 50-60 points

now contrast that with the gators having ONLY 1 game where an opponent scored more than more than 21 points.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
OU D is mostlikely having a down year!!! the only team that scored less than 10 was chattanooga!!! which got a safety. WASHINGTON!!!! yes WASHINGTON!!! scored 14 on them.

most other games OU let the other teams get on about 4 TD on average. so if you are spotting a team close to 30 you better be scoring 50-60 points

now contrast that with the gators having ONLY 1 game where an opponent scored more than more than 21 points.

I think I said this once before...maybe different thread...OU has given up a huge amount of points in garbage and second half time when the game was certain in OUs favor.

Here is the breakdown...
In the First half OU has scored 456 points. Their opponents scored 150.
In the second half OU has scored 246 points. Their opponents scored 169.

Quarter Breakdown.
1st: OU 225 Opp 30
2nd: OU 231 Opp 120
3rd: OU 153 Opp 84
4th: OU 93 Opp 85

I think I said this once before...maybe different thread...OU has given up a huge amount of points in garbage and second half time when the game was certain in OUs favor.

Here is the breakdown...

Quarter Breakdown.

Yeah you said it to me and we talked about it earlier

shandsgator8

VIP Member
1. Is the defenses of the Big 12 down because of the offenses? The SEC, outside of Florida, is not exactly a strong offensive conference.
2. OU had to win. They played and beat #2 Texas Tech, #12 Okie Lite to end the season. They were close before and jumped after.

OU's offense has been on fire since losing to Texas. Much like Florida has been on fire since losing to Ole Miss.

True, but I still think, on average, SEC defenses are better than Big 12 defenses. B/c of the point you made, the difference isn't probably as big as many think, but I'd still take the SEC as having the better defense.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness

Here is the breakdown...

Quarter Breakdown.

The garbage time argument means nothing. I'm pretty sure Florida played more than a few games with garbage time minutes. Our D hasn't suffered for it.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'll give OU Defense for shutting down the Mizzu O (21 Points) and they have a good offense. Just hope Florida doesn't take OU lightly.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
The garbage time argument means nothing. I'm pretty sure Florida played more than a few games with garbage time minutes. Our D hasn't suffered for it.

Your defense hasn't played any offenses that are as good as those in the Big 12 either.

The Big 12 has the #3,4,6,7,9,12,23,33,42,49,77,& #93 ranked offenses in total yards. Average rank of 29.833
The Big 12 has the #1,4,5,6,8,18,21,27,46,63,67,& #99 ranked scoring offenses. Average rank of 31.417

The SEC has the #18,21,37,53,54,56,97,102,105,113,115,& #117 ranked offenses in total yards. Average rank of 74.000
The SEC has the #3,29,30,32,34,87,91,92,104,110,110,& 115 ranked scoring offenses. Average rank of 69.750

Florida has very seldom taken out their starters. OU has taken their starters out for a total of over 2 complete games, 121 minutes and 19 seconds to be exact.

That means the opponent offenses have had two games versus our backups.

If you could, could you find how much time the starters have sat on the bench after the games were guaranteed for Florida?

I am not saying Florida's defense is not good. I am just saying the numbers are inflated thanks to the fact that they have not faced the offenses OU has had to every single week in conference play.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema