• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Gameday (09/06/14): Here We Go Again (AGAIN?!!!)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Pick! Duke Dawson pck 6--if it stands. Route on, regardless. ANOTHER personal foul by our guys--after the play tho'. Hope only one of those stupid "excess celebration" or subjective "taunting" calls (those latter ones are usually just SO lame--Do NOT go the way of the "No Fun League", people! Spirit, enthusiasm, celebration, these are college football's STRONG points. Even when I was a kid, my granddad preferred college football over the pros strictly BECAUSE of that).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and here's Treon Harris. Haven't seen him play...supposed to be a good one--and we stole him from the 'Noles, so we like him just on principle before he plays a down, throws his first pass, etc.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@awebb5,
Anyone but us here at GE today?!! My "tracker" has a few "guests and a handful of "members" who aren't sayin' anything, obviously--which
AND HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?!!! HOMERUN ON FIRST TRY! Um, ya think maybe we might have someone here?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That was really pretty. And LONG overdue. Too bad it WASN'T Driskel, in a way, but at least NOW WE KNOW, COUPLA things actually: This offense IS something new, a lot to it, things we haven't been doing (literally for YEARS), and also that we'll be OK at QB, one way or another.
(I really did almost forget what a confidently called, well-thrown and completed BOMB looked like! Oh yeah, the receiver catches over his shoulder, on the RUN, and pulls away. Now I remember... )

awebbf5

VIP Member
@awebb5,
Anyone but us here at GE today?!! My "tracker" has a few "guests and a handful of "members" who aren't sayin' anything, obviously--which
AND HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?!!! HOMERUN ON FIRST TRY! Um, ya think maybe we might have someone here?
Well ol buddy I think so lol.I have hung in here with you, because next week I wont be able to as I make my first trip to the swamp for a game :) (just had to throw that in there).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Anyway, as I was saying before so happily interupted, we got "guests" and even a few more "members" here with us--but for any number of reasons little "juice". Just you and me today, man.
And here's ANOTHER one from Harris...2 throws, 2 LONG TDs...I LIKE this kid: NOT just the obvious ovber-the-top immediate success, but the way he runs this offense, smooth and confident. Yeah, situation makes a bigf diff--but not everyone rises to it this way. In fact, no one has of late.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Do we have a QB controversy?

Well ol buddy I think so lol.I have hung in here with you, because next week I wont be able to as I make my first trip to the swamp for a game :) (just had to throw that in there).
Taking these in the above order: Oh, I doubt it, least for now...JD didn't do ANYTHING to lose the job, and he no doubt KNOWS the offense well: Though Treon's had almost the same amt of time to learn it now, all things considered prior to that it was/is Driskel's to lose...But I can SEE why Treon's passed everyone as back-up, and the longer he's here and more time he gets in practice and "garbage time", the more ready he'll be. And just judging but what we've seen here, whenever the time comes, HOWEVER it comes, he may get ahold of that starter's role and never let go 'til he's drafted. Yeah, he looks that good, that comfortable already. He may be that "natural", the first we've had in awhile since you-know-who, after a number of disappointments and near-misses. I was, am STILL hoping JD would finally step up, grow into the role this season--and he still may. But, like those long ball TDs, I'd forgotten what "raw-talent-meets-rise-to-the-occasion" LOOKS like.
As for getting to your first trip to the swamp, what can I say? You are one fortunate reptile, far as I'm concerned. Already got your seats? Where are you in there, do ya know? Should be a party, regardless. 'Course, when I was an undergrad, it was always said, on every TD, "We've got our Gainesville Green, the alumni on the other side have their Chivas Regal..." Guess it'd be more like Jim Beam or Crown Royal for me now, but you get the picture. I sure do. I would LOVE to make it back for a game in the Swamp. Kentucky should be a PARTY (another gator recovery-of-turnover...I'd trade these for no more injuries, right?). HAVE made it to Tempe and New Orleans over the years for post-season games, including one Nat'l Championship (making good a mutual pact among several of us from undergrad days), but some of my best, happiest and funnest memories were in Ben Hill Griffen, so...Have a BALL, aweb, MEAN that!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, can't deny it: This IS "a new offense". Last year's, hey, any season's since Addazio, then Muschamp arrived with that succession of turned-out-to-be-STIFFS at OC, none of 'em COULD hang 65 on ANYONE--hell, I don't think they could do it IN PRACTICE! So that's definitely an improvement, a BIG one. We put that kind of efficiency (if not 65 per game...I'll settle for 35, flexible and reasonable guy that I am) on offense into every game, then with our top-rated D we'll be a FORCE.
Now, not to hammer on it, but I'm real concerned about our possible losses. Word is that we've lost McGee for year. Damn shame--for him AND us. Burton may step in and rise to the occasion, but McGee was supposed to be a real upgrade at TE, ready and proven--and as I say, the TE is important in Roper's system in a number of ways. At the very least, we've lost depth. Then there's the rest of the O-line--which was strong coming in, but not so deep, especially experience-wise. Humphries never came out for the 2nd half, so that's a question mark at best. Menawhile, though it's our position of most depth and talent, at running back losing Jones would be a drag: Yes, we are strong there, but Jones is by all accounts furthest along in terms of development, and probably the most flexible in all the different things he does well, and does them consistently, running inside, outside, catching and blocking.
We did just about everything we came here to do, tho'. Can't avoid the injury-bug sometimes, as we well know. Hopefully, that McGee thing will be the only one that lingers, is any kind of factor by the time we visit the Tide.
Kentucky will be a bigger test than this one, of course. They're much improved on both sides of the ball, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was still a game at the half. Don't see why we shouldn't beat them, and eventually handily so, at home tho either.
Here's another way losing that opener last week continues to hurt us: We WOULD have had a real nice steady build up of challenge and response, have already had a chance to iron out some things and adjust what still wasn't quite up-to-standard by the time the Wildcats came to town...Now we'll have to do that, make the next set of adjustments, AGAINST them--maybe not a "Football Final Four" candidate but an "SEC-squad" that is themselves at least beginning to come into its own as such, worthy of that designation. Glad we're not goin' on the road against THEM right now--tho of course I'd take that over the NEXT week's opponent.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Here is a highlight video from Saturday Down South:

My notes:
Florida extended its winning streak in season-opening contests to 25 games against the FBS MAC Eastern Michigan Eagles. The Gators’ 65 points scored definitely covered the over-under of 55.5 (by 9.5 points) and the spread of 40.5 (by 24.5 points).

The last time the Gators plastered an opponent to the tune of 60 points was on Nov. 21, 2009 with 62 points against FIU. Here is the box score from that game:

Team Stat Comparison, 11/21/2009 Florida Gators 62, Florida International Panthers 3
Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 6.49.59 PM.png

Today’s box score showed production not seen in Gainesville in a long time:
Team Stat Comparison, #3 Florida 54, Furman Paladins 32

Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 6.50.13 PM.png

Team Stat Comparison, Florida Gators 65, Eastern Michigan Eagles 0
Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 6.50.27 PM.png

Notes:

• The Gators’ 27 first downs today compare favorably to the 2009 Gators’ 30 first downs. This happens to be comparable to FSU’s 28 first downs against Idaho in 2013 when the Forced Sex University Not-Really-Offensive-To-Native-Americans crushed the mighty vandals 80-14.
  • The Gators’ 655 yards is the most the Gators have racked up since the 2009 Gators tallied 659 against the #3 Cincinnati Bearcats in their 51-24 romp in Tim Tebow’s last game, the 2010 Sugar Bowl.
  • The Gators’ 89 plays far surpassed any amount seen in the other reference games in this article (70 in 2010 vs Cincinnati, 74 in vs Furman in 2009)
  • Jeff Driskel had a career high of 248 yards passing in a game (129.9 RAT). Just for fun, Treon Harris’ passer rating would be 1051.6 on the NCAA scale.
  • Demarcus Robinson is the first Gator receiver to go over 100 yards since the Jurassic Period.
  • MVG: Mother Nature. No rain-out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
You busy w fam, "job"/duty, etc. Sat.'s so far? Feel your absence, of course...Not sure of start-time next week, but turns out I have unforeseen gig now scheduled on-road that day, may miss most or all myself if an early-starter...As noted elsewhere, in that case may just put up "Gator Gameday"-thread real early, then hope to make it SOMEWHERE, bar or back to hotel, before it's over...Hope you'll be here regardless--all the more so if anything but a late-aft or (better yet) evening-Kick-off. Meanwhile, we have every reason, starting with everything you compile above, E-, to celebrate all signs pointing to a new Gator-era. So I'm "celebrating: "Honey Jim Beam" girlfriend brought over is doing its work pretty effectively, considering (what can I say--knowing MY preferences, Maple Crown or THIS syrupy bastardization-of-good-bourbon is her idea of "compromise"--I swear, if she weren't so hot, and so sweet, and so GOOD to me...aw, who am I kidding? Of course she's sitting 10 feet away within easy glance of this, but it ain't like she's got me by the short hairs or anything...lol). Only shadow are those injuries on offense, especially the O-line: McGee out for good it looks like, Humphries banged up enough to miss 2nd half in locker room being "treated" (presumably how bad, how long, coming tomorrow), Jones with late quad-injury being iced on sideline in the 4th qrtr., some others banged up too. McGee the worst, a real shame for him and presumably US after all the promise in how we got him, his work and all he showed in weeks/months leading up to this--but Clay Burton steps in, steps up and has his best day as a Gator. TE's a BIG factor in Roper's offense here, so that was huge. That's what "depth" is all about. Just may have it at QB after all, too--that was some "coming out party" for Treon Harris. Just have to wait and see on the rest.

Escambia94

@DRU2012 I had to go into work for a bit, then see the family for a bit. It does not help that I do not have the SEC Network yet. I have been fighting with the cable companies to get it. The part of L.A. that I live in is on the line between SEC Network service. I had to follow the game with the ESPN app on my phone.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@DRU2012 I had to go into work for a bit, then see the family for a bit. It does not help that I do not have the SEC Network yet. I have been fighting with the cable companies to get it. The part of L.A. that I live in is on the line between SEC Network service. I had to follow the game with the ESPN app on my phone.
Damn, that sucks re cable BS...but of COURSE it'd happen in S.Cal, if anywhere. Meanwhile, I bet they're talkin' bout that SC win over Stanford as if it were the start of some inevitable coronation. (Remember, I did grad work at USC, AND lived/worked in Hollywood for years) Never mind that Stanford just stunk up the place in the redzone; I mean, yeah, SC played some good D yesterday, but no recent Stanford team has looked that bad on offense, and certainly not against their main rival, with SO many chances to just reach out and TAKE the damn thing.
As noted, I FIGURED "job and fam" has been a main factor in why you haven't made it here 'til later both game days so far. I may well be in the same boat as far as how-to-follow game itself this coming Saturday against Ky. While I also mention elsewhere the professional pitfalls of doing this on-the-job, there IS now the option of listening to the RUF live game broadcast on your mobile phone, at (712)432-7010, the IMG/Tune-In feed. I had to give up on the online version if I want to participate properly on GE (damn Tune-In site hijacks my mac to the point that everything else slows down, even freezes up at times--can't even "catch-up" the sync between TV and radio brdcst), but everything works fine from my cell phn. On the other hand, the ESPN app is prob still more unobtrusive, something you can check on at your own discretion--I know from prev years where I regularly found myself working Saturdays. Likely I'll turn to it myself this week if I do end up working at game time. Better actually go check on that, kick-off time, right now, finally.

Escambia94

@DRU2012 Whoa. I can just dial in and listen to the game? I will try that next weekend! I never use my minutes any way.

By the way, I just realized where I have seen that background in your profile picture! That is the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
(laughing) A Gator at Grauman's/Mann's...You know how THAT is, right E-? You know, I'd been thinking, "I wonder if anyone who bothers focusing on and considering that picture thinks it's at a stadium somewhere...Could be a corner exit-ramp or something--but then again, no one ELSE is wearing team colors of some mythical Home Team either..." On the other hand, the longer a pic is up there, the more the whole THING becomes "background" and the less anyone notices or thinks about it. Anyway, gave me a kick you noticing and recognizing it.
That IMG Gator Game Day access-by-phone is cool, and obviously something brand new this season...There are even simple instructions for syncing it with any TV broadcast that are given when you dial in, which came in handy for me this past Sat. (as I say, their online site is some sort of speed'n'memory hog, tho', at least as far as the couple-year-old desktop emac I do my writing/surfing on at home is concerned...Don't know why: I've got the highest speed connection available...Works better on my laptop thru' wifi, but still just enough "lag" in key strokes and refresh-rate to be irritating even there: I want full-speed, unfettered access when I'm on GE during games--guess we're all a little spoiled nowadays when it comes to that sort of thing).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema