• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Gameday (09/06/14): Here We Go Again (AGAIN?!!!)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, I know. Every one of us knows, at this point: Thundershowers moving into G-ville-area, and (as we've all had rubbed in our faces--or is it, "face down in a puddle"?) all it takes is one strike within 8 miles of the stadium...
Occur to anyone else how this sort of weather is more common about 100 miles SOUTH of Alachua Cty, the stretch of turnpike/I-75 known as "Lightening Alley"? Sure, we'd get those late-aft gully-washers this time of year, but then it'd pass, sun come out and steam it all up 45 min later. It's like the whole pattern has somehow moved 100 miles or so north. More of that according-to-some-"mythical climate shift"?
Look, I just can't imagine how I'll feel, let alone the cumulative reaction of our fans, if this one doesn't come off--so I'm gonna proceed here as if "everyt'ing is cool, mon..."
So assuming we get this one in, I ALMOST feel sorry for those poor clowns from pick-your-directionless Michigan. Y'all know how WE are feeling, can you imagine how ready our team is to go out and beat the HELL out of someone by now? The reason that's an "almost" is 'cause we all DO feel that way, the team actually NEEDS it, physically, mentally, emotionally at this point...and anyway, that sledge-hammer-to-cinder-block field-run-on is really lame--tho' perhaps that's just one more reason to pity these poor kids, too; Who THOUGHT of that, thought it was a good idea? Hope they do it today, maybe...we could all use a few laughs.
I mean, the story is basically the same as last week, "game-strategy"-wise: Go out, have some fun, open up that offense, and above all KICK SOME SERIOUS ASS!!!
That's it--got nothing more to start with here, at the moment. THE WEATHER is the proverbial 800-lb gorilla-in-the-room again. Guess I'm counting on y'all to take it from there, get it goin', set this thing up in detail.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Hey--Did ya see the end of that Nebraska/McNeese St game? Aw, hell...I REALLY despise Nebraska's coach, never liked the program in the first place ever since Tom Osborne days, and this FBS team had 'em on the ropes--only to let it get away, BUNCH of missed tackles on what should have been a 3rd-down stop near the end of regulation...Also had a late penalty that negated a TD that could have all-but-WON it for them moments earlier, instead had to settle for a FG that tied it and set up the ending. Now, this was the underdog's opening game, and fundamentals may have been lacking all around, played their part--but DAMN! Bummer. Mostly I'm just concerned with us, OUR games and overall performances this season, let the rest take care of itself--but the mounting evidence of how far off the pre-season prognostication was in the first place, all the "surprising outcomes", not just upsets but "wrong-team" blowouts and close games that were supposed to be "laughers", well, it does give us the chance to move up quickly should WE get in on the right side of this sorta fun...and Huslers are on my (albeit rather extended) personal list of "Teams I Root Against", as I say. Oh well--this IS the kind of stuff that makes Saturdays interesting, long as our Gators are winning. They gotta get the game in first, of course.
Speaking of which, word from the RUF weather guy is that while showers are around, the chances for lightening in the Gainesville area are not great: "Rain chances increasing, lightening chances decreasing"--and any storms themselves likely to be short ones. Learned something I guess I sorta "knew" already from experience if I bothered to consider it: In an unstable, stormy weather pattern, general low-hanging cloudiness makes lightening LESS likely; It's those "cells", thunderheads developing among sunny/clearer skies that sets things up for lots of lightening. Don't have that over G-vile today, apparently--though they DO have it east of town a ways, where big dark ones are blowing up among otherwise sunny, hot conditions. Guess that makes it a little cooler out there too, especially on-the-field--but I always considered that, the hot afternoon sun on Fla Field, an advantage for us on game days. I mean, we practice in it all spring and summer; watch northern teams wilt in the 2nd half.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Long as I find myself alone here, guess I'll natter along nervously. Know there's little reason for concern, but somehow, somewhat surprisingly find myself getting, well, what to call it, how to describe? More than just "antsy"... What if we lay some kinda off-balance, over-amped egg? Sure can't count on another opening run-back like last week. Probably win the toss and defer anyway.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So. Lost the toss again--but we DO play D to start this time. Sigh. Who WASN'T waiting to see what "Showers" would do this time? No, this is fine. Eat 'em UP!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gotta say: So far, this offense looks a WHOLE lot like last year's--but we THROW ON 4th down! Yes. Now, THAT is a nice change. But otherwise--and here we go again on 1st at their 30--the plodding, too-many-plays approach. TAKE IT TO THE HOUSE. Why do I find myself saying this, game in, game out: We are NOT the 2nd coming of the 1960 Green Bay Packers. This is modern college football, guys. Score TDs.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Look, I know we're driving the ball. But we are also making these Eagles better than they are...and here Driskel throws it late. Otherwise, 6.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So we settle for 3--and that's a BAD sign. I'm sorry--but I think the overall opening strategy here was just "more of the same"...Acceptable maybe in Tuscaloosa on our first drive, but not here, not now. OK--I'm being classic Gator-fan picky and unsatisfiable--but damnit, there's a deeper point to how I feel, what I'm saying. We have GOT to establish a whole new attitude and matching approach-on-the-field. And this is the time to do it, here and now, after everything, to start the game of a forestalled season. Throw our calling-card to THE WORLD--but no. Trudge, trudge, trudge, field goal.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kelvin Taylor RIGHT thru a wormhole to the endzone! Ok. That'll work too.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Btw: I HATE that "Tune-In" live-broadcast thing we got now outside of Fla--just had to jettison it AGAIN, as last wk, when it hijacked my mac and tied everything u[p/sl;owed things down to the point that everything lagged a few seconds--just enough to make the broadcast useless AND prevent me from comment promptly here on GE, even when I turned down its volume and went to the TV-audio, which I'd rather not have to do in the first place, Works ok for awhile each time I start over, but eventually somehow messes everything up. Anyone else having these issues?)

awebbf5

VIP Member
Roper is throwing screens to get Jeff some confidence. Taylor looked fast. Iwould like to see a few balls thrown down field though.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
D looks GREAT. They are our real edge, lets face it. MAYBE our offense can begin to catch up (and then only if Driskel gets better, more accurate)--nice return by Dubose, fallen way down the WR list but maybe he can use all that potential and quick to bring something to special teams--but it'll still be the D that makes the difference, if there's to be one...In fact, if our offense is just "OK", we could win the east. Now, if Driskel stars, and we really get rolling as far as ppg (and that's Roper's main focus), well, who knows?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, THAT was a TD without the interference, I think. Nice throw under pressure by JD...This time it's JONES breaking free up the middle. Hey, we can RUN! No real surprise there. If JD can get some protection and thrives in it, well, that's what I'm saying. It really is in our own hands: How good can we be?

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well, THAT was a TD without the interference, I think. Nice throw under pressure by JD...This time it's JONES breaking free up the middle. Hey, we can RUN! No real surprise there. If JD can get some protection and thrives in it, well, that's what I'm saying. It really is in our own hands: How good can we be?
yeah Dru that long ball got me excited lol. Now I would like to see Mack Brown!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, starting to look about like what I expected from this team after all. Can't move the ball on us, and if you shut down ONE part of the offense, we'll KILL you elsewhere. If I were ANY DC, tho', I'd dare us to throw, at least 'til Driskel and co. show they can make you pay. I pray he does.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They're gonna call this back, but like I say, Dubose may have found his "way back to favor" (just don't count on him as any but the 3rd, or 4th receiver). Hey @awebbf5, couldn't agree more about our passing game: Again, I just don't buy the "hide it from our future opponents" argument (here's Brown with an appearance, as requested lol...we have some CHOICES at RB); Let's get this Roper-offense operating at full-tilt under game conditions.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...OK, I can see the point of beginnig to look twards just burning the clock, taking control of EVERYTHING and knowing we'll go out a big winner--but there are OTHER things to work on--like DUNBAR having to remember why you "look the ball in" and not start your move til then, btw...but JD comes right back to him for the 1st down. But you see? NOW Roper's got a piece of film to show on Monday, as if QD isn't already bugged enough at himself. Maybe it makes the difference on a big 3rd down play later on against a big SEC rival. There's more to running these plays, running the whole offense, than just winning the game, especially early in the season--more than ever now.
WoW. Dunbar with a great catch on a really nice throw from JD--even with interference from the defender.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Um--like I said up top: Almost feel sorry for these "Eagles". Third diff RB on 3 diff runs-for-TD. OK. There are some signs that this offense is a distinct change. We didn't do this against ANYONE last coupla years, that I recall.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Would have like to seen Mack get in but another TD BABY!!! Is it just me or are our snaps looking high? What is Tabor's number?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema