• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Game Day: Kentucky at The Swamp 09/13/14

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Waited too long--he was open, came off intebded receiver too soon,...Now we lose on the TD by KY, can see it coming, of course. Only an INT by the D can save us now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They gotta throw it: Chance for us to win this thing with a pick...OOHHH!! Facemask. Now we' are f*CKED...

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
made it home, not sure if I wanted the agony of not knowing or 3rd ot if it ends bitter. either way, our penalties on defense are in the boat with driskles decisions

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mistake after mistake after mistake...D so tired, almost nothing left. Can they at LEAST force the kick? This has been the most grueling game I can remember. Short kick this time tho'...Now we go for 2...IF we can score. If we get the chance. If cows could fly. OK, disregard that last part--just me bummin' big time. This wouldn't be so bad if it were NEXT week...

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
so many take-aways from this game, but another night we can avoid upset and disappointment. glad i got home soon enough to see the OT's. Although I didn't see the first OT and probably glad I didn't, way too much stress.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So...I'm just too tired and BURNT to get really excited. We won. In triple overtime. Against Kentucky. Give JD this: He saved his big moment for the end. Damn near his only one--on a day when we GAINED more than 600 YARDS. If he COULD throw the long ball over top, things might be different.--but as it stands, EVERYONE, starting with the Tide next week, will stuff the box and dare them to throw it long. I THOUGHT we had a chance in that game, would play well and keep it close at LEAST--now you have to be ready for "keeping it respectable" at BEST. And it isn't a matter of talent--except at QB. That and a Head Coach whom I am beginning to think just doesn't GET it: When push-comes-to-shove, maybe just too hard-headed to change, green light anything too wide-open.
Still, gotta say this: That Gator squad DOES reflect the best aspects of Muschamp's character, too...They showed tonight they are tough and resilient, they can and will comeback when things go bad, given the time and opportunity--even on a night they DON'T have their best game goin'. So when all is said and done, the way it ended and NOT JUST the win finally itself, well, all is not lost. But there are a handful of glaring questions, BIG ones, and they are at quarterback and overall team/coaching philosophy...Either they are answered in (by now surprisingly) positive fashion in the coming weeks, or my worst fears and observations will be confirmed--and we will have that mediocre season, no excuses, with predictable consequences for this Coach, AND the future of this program.
All in all, I'm trying not to forget: Better to be "2-for-2" at this point than the alternative.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
so many take-aways from this game, but another night we can avoid upset and disappointment. glad i got home soon enough to see the OT's. Although I didn't see the first OT and probably glad I didn't, way too much stress.
(laughing--and thankyou for THAT, ng...and my girlfriend thanks you, btw--I mean that, she's looking over my shoulder after hearing/seeing me burst out laughing and sends along her thanks) "Way too much stress" is RIGHT--I mentioned it at the time, once they scored on their first try in overtime #1, it was just getting to be too much for me after a full game like that one...I really thought we were sunk, forgone conclusion/sinking sensation/ I'm-a-rat-and-it's time-to-start-swimming...Don't even wanna see the post-game post mortems this time, never mind it's a win.
Gotta give UK a lotta credit, sure--but don't forget we KEPT them in it, WAITED for 'em in the 1st half instead of just taking control--as we had every opportunity to do. Did that from the 1st drive on, when Pittman dropped that wide open 3rd down pass that woulda had us in the red zone (not that THAT'S a great place for our offense to be , it seems--but what can we do? If you can't throw long, and you consistently fester inside the red zone, well, you find yourself in a dog fight with a team you should have beat. And what's with Pitman, too, btw? Like Driskel, by all accounts he's a terror in practice, been that way since before LAST season, but he consistently drops easy balls, and/or disappears entirely, come game time. One of these seasons, we're gonna turn out to have recruited and be grooming some kids, mainly at QB, who RISE to the occasion, not tighten up when it counts. Until then we'll be "a team with all kinds of potential", which also means "disappoints at key moments. Interstingly, the situation was reversed when Spurrier was our Head Coach: Then it was the OFENSE that was everything, defense a "secondary consideration at best--and we didn't win a Nat'l Championship 'til Bob Stoops was the Defensive Coordinator. And the one thing the two regimes did have in common? Really weak at kicker. SS just didn't care back then--he wanted TDs, period...Muschamp had a good one when he got here, and I'm thinking it's just been another example of missing in recruiting--as we seem to have done all over the field on offense as the Muschamp era (and his continuing to lose recruiting-savvy coaches) has continued.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm killed fellas ,great game will post my experience tomorrow
Can only IMAGINE, aweb...As I say, I'M completely fried, after sittin' at home drinkin' and muttering curses at my TV the whole night (much to the concern and eye-rolling dismissal of my girlfriend--who says she was ALWAYS sure my pessimism was "overdrawn")... Looking forward to your thoughts and on-the-scene observations tomorrow.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just came back to say one last thing--something I wanted to say before shutting everything down for the night. I wouldn't feel right, now that it occurred to mw, wouldn't be "fair" if, in counter-point to almost everything else I had to say, especially the later it got in the game, if I DIDN'T say it.
The one thing I can say in a completely approving way, the one thing that is a definite plus, concerns this undeniable difference between last year's team and this one: Last year's team DOESN'T come back from ANY of the hard smacks-in-the-head it took in the games final stages, doesn't "come back" at all....THIS team did it several times, got itself into trouble, sure--but then somehow found ways to rise back up, retake the lead. Finally paid off for the win, too. That DOES bode well for the future--though I'm not at all sure what "future" we are referring to now. Guess we' ll talk about that, and ultimately actually see in the days/weeks ahead. But when you see how other much-hyped teams have either had surprising letdowns early in the season so far, a disastrous, weather-based cancellation and a close, surprisingly difficult win against a former-whipping-boy, both at home, may well be a "warning"--but one that doesn't necessarily doom us--could even help, depending on how we react to it. OK, that's more optimistic than I feel, personally, but "the worst", even the supposed (by my own earlier estimation) "inevitable" isn't officially that UNTIL the game(s) are actually played. Maybe a certain amount of all that, the future as much as what we've actually seen up til now, is within the team's, coaches and players', control still after all. And maybe cows will fly out my ass. Aw, no, I'm sorry...that last part is just me bein' me, at this point. Team that responds to adversity always has a chance.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
but don't forget we KEPT them in it, WAITED for 'em in the 1st half instead of just taking control--as we had every opportunity to do.

This is what scares me. We had too many offensive drives with no result. If I typed this last night I would probably be telling you to fire Muschamp, take Driskle with you. Like I told my buddy last night, I'm not sure if Kentucky is this good or if we're still horrible, and maybe we got caught looking to next weekend already. One thing with last year and this year is you wouldn't see this much offense, but at the same time, the offense can drive up and down the field all day and mean squat if we're not putting points up. We have so many take-aways from this game that I'm sure Muschamp & Co. will use to prep for 'Bama.

Worth Mention:
0 Driskle under pressure
0 Jones needs more
0 Secondary assignments
0 WR drills
0 Robinson lead other WRs
0 PENALTIES

this is all for now, I'm only just now watching the actual game and it's near end of 3rd quarter. So a lot is unknown since all I had last night was ESPN Gamecast. But expect a video tomorrow most likely.

awebbf5

VIP Member
OK guys leaving Gainesville sitting in thr back of Lincoln writing this so don't expect propper grammar and punctuation. First off wow what a first game to experience at the swamp. I will say the fan experience at the swamp is incredible. From the water refill stations the passing out of free stuff everywhere, and omg the food, if you go to the swamp and there isn't something for you to eat then you are to picky ( I wish I would have gotten a turkey leg man those looked so good but I chose a sausage philly). The crowd was into the game from the start and it looked packed out. I was so pissed how Kentucky came out almost beside us at the same time but that intro and getting to do the chomp finally with fellow gator fans. My take always from the game was yes the clock did expire before the ball was snapped and the obnoxious UK fans will never let it die, but the ky fan with us is a really good guy and said he just wanted to see his team play like they belong ( which they did) but said bottom line UK had their chances and it shouldn't have come down to that and they should have put it away. Demarcus Robinson was a beast along with matt Jones they played great. Jalen tabor is nowhere near what hear graves was as a freshman. #40 Davis mom sat in front of me and was real cool and funny talked to her thru out the game. It was hot all night and emotionally drained game took its toll on me I was killed at the end of the game. Walking out of the game I was dissapointed and felt more like we lost. Honestly ky looked better losing than we did winning. Driskel does not seem to be the answer at qb IMO. Bottom line the offense doesn't look much better than last year to me its still real vanilla. Guys I'm not trying to start a big uproar but its time to axe muschamp unless ky is that good we should have never been in ot or behind. Fans were extremely unhappy with muschamp in the stands all night with calls he made. Our kicking game is just as bad as last years. IMO we are not that good of a football team. Things are still bad, I'm praying we axe muschamp and bring back Dan Mullen. Like I said it felt like a loss to me sorry trying not to be anal but I am really worried about the direction of our program. the swamp is awesome and it makes me want to come all the time now lol I loved the experience just wished we would have had a better showing. Me and the other gator fan that came with me we will be going to vandy and hopefully we will be much improved by then but I doubt it. Next week I have a feeling bama will literally roll us , if they do hopefully its bad enough to make the coaching change!! Go gators , I will post pics later guys. Sorry I couldn't be on here play by play with you as usual dru.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is what scares me. We had too many offensive drives with no result. If I typed this last night I would probably be telling you to fire Muschamp, take Driskle with you. Like I told my buddy last night, I'm not sure if Kentucky is this good or if we're still horrible, and maybe we got caught looking to next weekend already. One thing with last year and this year is you wouldn't see this much offense, but at the same time, the offense can drive up and down the field all day and mean squat if we're not putting points up. We have so many take-aways from this game that I'm sure Muschamp & Co. will use to prep for 'Bama.

Worth Mention:
0 Driskle under pressure
0 Jones needs more
0 Secondary assignments
0 WR drills
0 Robinson lead other WRs
0 PENALTIES

this is all for now, I'm only just now watching the actual game and it's near end of 3rd quarter. So a lot is unknown since all I had last night was ESPN Gamecast. But expect a video tomorrow most likely.
I'm looking forward to your reaction, in fact--for several reasons, but most of all because I saw everything that you did WATCHING it, and a few more things only implied by events in-game, that no doubt you will focus on--now with the very perspective that we both have next-day. I KNOW I was reacting emotionally then, but I don't think that made my bottom-line "takes" invalid--just a bit more amped-up.
Muschamp put the best face on it all today on the SEC Network's brd'cst of that SunSports "Gator Football With Will Muschamp" show: He didn't really sugar-coat it, did note the breakdowns on defense, especially in the 2nd half, and even his mostly very positive overview of JD and the offense was probably part sincere/accurate-from-his-POV and part wanting to support his quarterback AND the work of his OC--both of whom are essential to him keeping his job past this season, let's face it. I was/am with you completely on the situation at QB--at the point there where I wanted him GONE last night, understanding in the light of day that not even the superior-skill-and- Treon Harris probably not ready to step right in and "win out from here", which is practically what would have to happen if Will were to just make the change now and expect to do well enough to keep his job. No, he was straight-forward as he was able to be...But that's part of the problem with our Head Coach now: I think he may well be not just constricted by his situation, but effectively blind to our continued weakness and deficiencies--mainly at the QB position, but also in how that affects, and is affected by opponents' being able to basically IGNORE THE POSSIBILITY OF THE LONG PASS. They were DARING us to throw long last night; by the 2nd half they were paying only the smallest attention possible to it in coverage...and why not? JD was hardly called upon to do either that OR pull it down and run, the two things he was originally brought in to do, based on his prep-career. And when he DOES throw the long one, HE ALWAYS OVERTHROWS IT. Am I wrong?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@awebbf5,
Great stuff, man...I was just about as beat watching from at HOME, so I can only imagine your experience--but you "brought it home" well here, I mean it...Thanks! (If you read over my commentary in-game, you'll see what I mean--and that your analysis /"1st take" after-game was spot-on from OUR POV too. We'll have LOTS to say about all of it--and I think you'll find, I am prettyy sure of it in fact, that most folks see a pretty similar present and future, near and long term, for this program under Mauchamp, especially with Driskel at QB...The ONLY difference, albeit a BIG one, between this year's team and last, is that THIS one's WEAS able to "pull it out"...I'm just not so sure how that will translate, how much it will mean to next week and beyond...As I said last night, I'm afraid that "above average mediocrity" is our BEST case scenario right now...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sunday night...
After all I (and everyone else, here and elsewhere) that I talked to and/or heard from and/or read had to say in the last 24 hrs plus regarding the offense in general and JD in particular, and how that impacted on my and seemingly everyone else's view of Muschamp, where this team is and is headed, the thing that REALLY concerns me, and may well ultimately suggest Will Muschamp deserves the "hot seat" he is now inarguably sitting on, it was the performance of our DEFENSE in the 2nd half that spells "crappy bowl if we're 'lucky', and the EXIT door if it's anything but "early season confusion".
All the key breakdowns imply that even his "baby", the talented and much-vaunted even by our detractors Gator D, is not coming along but rather DEvolving--picking up at the steady downturn we saw the last few games of last season. I don't know, but it seems to me that if we had continued to bear down on them defensively like we did in the first half, even all those drops and inconsistencies on offense in the first half could have been easily overcome, allowing us to pull away in the second. But that isn't exactly what happened: Sure, they "adjusted" on offense themselves, but that's what a decent coach and his staff DOES--a "brilliant defensive strategist" (like Muschamp, supposedly) anticipates those adjustments and is READY for them; A great defense carries out that plan. Not what we saw. If Jeff Driskel had to throw a 4th-and-game pass in overtime to save things for one more chance to beat KENTUCKY, WTF WILL HAPPEN AGAINST THE BIG BOYS??? Unless we are about to be shocked--by a huge step-up next Saturday by us AND a Wildcat team that turns out to be a team that is in every SEC game til the end this season (and actually rises up and BEATS couple of 'em for big wins), well, we can all pretty well project the way this season will go: 7-and-4 at BEST, and quite possible not even that. I can hardly even watch next weekend...I've gone from being tense-but-excited re that one against the Tide to really not being sure I even wanna watch. I mean that: I am almost to the "go and do something, ANYTHING else that day" stage. I hope I am wrong, but I hold very little hope--and that "little hope" is again only for the sliver of a possibility that I am wrong, UK is that good, and WE will take that big corrected-move-up that young teams sometimes do early in the season. Like I say, no "cows flying out my ass" so far, so I don't know...
Well, at least we find out quick. Things go south here (and it don't take Nosterdamus to see the possibilities, even likelihood that they do), next week at this time we'll be turning the page here, beginning to look towards a different future altogether from the one we've excitedly waited for the past 8-plus months or more...So I'll put it out there for y'all to begin considering, "just in case": Who do we go after, WHO WILL EVEN BE AVAILABLE if/when Will Muschamp is replaced? We may HAVE to wait til the season's over no matter what--even if it's a "forgone conclusion" within a few weeks, just to see who ELSE might "jump". Roper as "Interim Head Coach"? I'm not asking for any answers to this Q, not even "officially" posing it yet--still that "sliver", after all, and these ARE our beloved Gators I'm flirting with writing off already, at least for this year--but there it is, maybe time soon to at least start mulling it over. More's the pity, as they say.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I had to follow the entire game via text messages, since I was out "camping" all weekend for work. As a side note, I will be out of pocket for a couple months once my orders drop.

I am guessing this game was a massive heart attack for the Gator Nation.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and by the way: Clearly, we are going to miss McGee hugely, it turns out. The tight end is a major part of Roper's offensive scheme, was even more stressed in this case as Driskel's "always there" ace-in-the-hole. Our converted-defender, Burton, while much-improved, isn't in the same class as McGee--never will be, even with the mentoring he's been getting from the more talented and experienced grad-transfer. Clay had 7 receptions the first week just on the "leftovers" from the pre-injury game-plan. Now we get a glimpse of life without him,,,Burton's role was limited from the start. My guess is that they have to work him in more this week. Either he steps up and gets it done, or we're sunk on offense--but we're sunk for sure without him being a part of the plan. Question is, will Driskel even go to him? As things stand, looks like he's got but ONE "go to guy", way he sees it. More than he had last year, true, but still too easy for ANY defense to take away--let alone the Tide's.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I had to follow the entire game via text messages, since I was out "camping" all weekend for work. As a side note, I will be out of pocket for a couple months once my orders drop.

I am guessing this game was a massive heart attack for the Gator Nation.
That's one way of putting it.
(I used to have to do that Saturdays a few years back--it's weird, and especially baffling when all you have is qrtr, possession, down, and score in a game like this one, where you were SURE we would eventually roll against a supposedly inferior squad. As for this one in particular, all you gotta do is sample the post-game reactions anywhere on the "Gator-net" to know how "well" this all went down--and even a cursory skim of ours or anyone else's play-by-play/in-game commentary to get a feel for how frustratingly disappointing it all was. Talk about your "sinking feeling": I have completely thrown out my admittedly hopeful view of "possibilities" this season.)

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well I truly believe we need a coaching change. Maybe our only hope is bama rolls us enough that boosters start to get in foleys ear and say count your losses and buy the contract out. The list of coaches that I would like to see us go after if the axe falls is Mullen, call me crazy mark stoops what he has did with ky is unbelievable, Spurrier if he is not close to retiring, and James franklin I think he would dump Penn state for us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema