• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Game Day: Kentucky at The Swamp 09/13/14

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Well I truly believe we need a coaching change. Maybe our only hope is bama rolls us enough that boosters start to get in foleys ear and say count your losses and buy the contract out. The list of coaches that I would like to see us go after if the axe falls is Mullen, call me crazy mark stoops what he has did with ky is unbelievable, Spurrier if he is not close to retiring, and James franklin I think he would dump Penn state for us.

I have stated this before: I would rather have consistency with coaching than replace another coaching staff. Until a better coaching staff is available, I would rather watch Will Muschamp learn to lay off the offense, focus on training up the defense, and keep building up a successful program.

Whenever anyone says to fire Will Muschamp, I always ask for their list of replacement coaches.
  • Dan Mullen is not the answer. Record: 39–28 (.582) overall/ 16–24 (.400) SEC/ 3-1 (.750) bowl. Coaching staff:
    • Billy Gonzales, Co-OC/Passing Game Coordinator/ WR coach - #7 SEC passing team
    • John Hevesy, Co-OC/ Running Game Coordinator/ OL coach - #10 SEC passing team
    • Geoff Collins, DC/ LB - #8 SEC defense
  • James Franklin is not the answer for Florida. He is from Pennsylvania and considers Penn State to be a dream job. Record: 27-15 (0.642) overall/ 11-13 (0.458) SEC/ 2-1 (0.667) bowl. Coaching staff:
    • John Donovan, OC/ RB coach, #9 SEC offense
    • Bob Shoop, DC/ SB coach, #9 SEC defense
  • Steve Spurrier would be an interesting choice, but there is no guarantee he would repeat his success. Record: 79-40 (0.664) at USCe, 42-32 (0.568) SEC, 4-4 (0.500) bowl.
    • Steve Spurrier Jr and Shawn Elliot Co-OC, #7 SEC offense
    • Lorenzo Ward DC, #2 SEC defense
  • Charlie Strong (33-15). This is the best choice, but he is stuck with Texas for quite some time and probably would not take a lateral to Florida in the next decade or so.
  • Art Briles (80-60). Probably not interested in leaving Baylor.
  • Kerwin Bell. Lacks big game experience.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well I truly believe we need a coaching change. Maybe our only hope is bama rolls us enough that boosters start to get in foleys ear and say count your losses and buy the contract out. The list of coaches that I would like to see us go after if the axe falls is Mullen, call me crazy mark stoops what he has did with ky is unbelievable, Spurrier if he is not close to retiring, and James franklin I think he would dump Penn state for us.
I'm afraid I'm just about to the same place, man. I LIKE Will Muschamp, admire and appreciate his fiery emotion and way he has taken that high energy, pride, AND the idea of each player's sense of "personal responsibility", and made them all part of the same thing: accountability, to themselves and to the team, fans and program. That said, obviously does NOT automatically translate to the product on the field. OK--we missed the first game and it's still early in the season, we could still "correct" things and turn out to be better than we showed against UK (and the Wildcats really MIGHT turn out to be "that good", too), but it just doesn't feel that way. Assuming things are how they look and feel, then the BEST we can expect is mediocrity. That's been a mark of every Muschamp team since he got here: Even his/our best season since arriving, the 11-and-2 one, a very good defense obscured the stench of a really BAD offense--two extremes still coming out a "wash" (and let's be honest, absolute HELL to watch: that should have been the warning to our Coach that things HAD to change for the better, and FAST if he was going to be successful here long term--if he was going to get the opportunity to do so). Last season was the same but without the decent defense, injuries notwithstanding. I mention all this because the talk among fans, even up-beat never-say-die ones is by now not "Lets see what happens..." etc but rather "Well, they better show up and at least play well..." You'd be hard-pressed to find many Gators who even EXPECT this to be close against the Tide, let alone think we will (or even "might") win it. He ISN'T gonna get another one of these "maybe we're close to beginning to get good again" seasons. And if this week's game goes the way we all fear, even expect it will go, well, as I've noted, it may be that the only thing that keeps him here may be the simple fact that it IS still "early in the season". Hard to find anyone, anyone we'd want anyway, let alone convince them to step in now (especially if they're working with a successful program early in their OWN season). That's just the START of a long list of problems, NIGHTMARES really, that begin to pile up the moment you begin to face that reality now.
As for that whole business of "who how and when", well, I'm gonna wait, let everyone throw their names and ideas out there--that could be "the only game in town" for us soon enough!
Knew it could come to this--just hoped otherwise--and thought that it'd be something that gathered slowly, came on as a possibly promising season turned out otherwise. But here we are. Ever hear of a "must compete" (as opposed to a "must win") game? And are such "lowered-expectations" from the heights we soared just a few seasons ago even acceptable themselves? Frankly, outsiders can say what they want, go hang themselves for all I care. I don't WANNA go back to "hoping we can show well"; I am proud and GLAD we are so impatient, that we find the whole idea of not being in the thick of things at the very top, year in/year out, unacceptable, grounds-for-firing. Only way we get back there--and Will Muschamp KNEW that when he came here. (Hell, Urban Meyer's rep and image had already fallen far here after one YEAR of apparent distraction and disinterest--and that was BEFORE he pulled that "My heart, my family!...psst--Hey kid, I may be going to OSU--Never mind the Gators, wanna be a Buckeye?"-routine from his UF Athletic Dept. office!) You come here, we'll give you every tool and advantage, not to mention MONEY there is, and the kind of wild, rabid loyalty that can lift you and yours higher than the moon...But don't f*ck around, and make no mistake: You better have the real goods.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have stated this before: I would rather have consistency with coaching than replace another coaching staff. Until a better coaching staff is available, I would rather watch Will Muschamp learn to lay off the offense, focus on training up the defense, and keep building up a successful program.

Whenever anyone says to fire Will Muschamp, I always ask for their list of replacement coaches.
  • Dan Mullen is not the answer. Record: 39–28 (.582) overall/ 16–24 (.400) SEC/ 3-1 (.750) bowl. Coaching staff:
    • Billy Gonzales, Co-OC/Passing Game Coordinator/ WR coach - #7 SEC passing team
  • James Franklin is not the answer for Florida. He is from Pennsylvania and considers Penn State to be a dream job. Record: 27-15 (0.642) overall/ 11-13 (0.458) SEC/ 2-1 (0.667) bowl. Coaching staff:
  • Steve Spurrier would be an interesting choice, but there is no guarantee he would repeat his success. Record: 79-40 (0.664) at USCe, 42-32 (0.568) SEC, 4-4 (0.500) bowl.
  • Charlie Strong (33-15). This is the best choice, but he is stuck with Texas for quite some time and probably would not take a lateral to Florida in the next decade or so.
This IS "the other side of the coin", and well summarizes the way I felt right up until the past weekend. In fact, I see the logic of it, and frankly fear the consequences of an emotional house-cleaning, as you imply here, E-. In fact, a part of me STILL feels the same way, that staying the course is the best option for us--if only because there are no other "better" ones, not now and prob not for some time. One more reason the whole "well, they better show me SOMETHING this Saturday" sentiment is so rampant.
The question is, is that IT?!! The best we've got now, that "we can't do much better right now, so if only we don't stink UP the place, that'll have to do", we'll just have to suck it up and settle for "pretty good, most of the time, against lesser competition"? I guess I'm ready to ask if it is not preferable we go for a drastic re-build, even if it means a little outright chaos for a time--IF there's a plan, IF we get someone we can see might have a real vision for eventual greatness.
I'm mostly just putting it, all of this out there now, for we may well be on the verge of having to consider just these questions, for real. And if we don't, then what is the alternative, if not "slow death", a return to "the sleeping giant" program that returns to the "middle-of-the-pack" in the SEC? Is ANYONE OK with, ready for THAT?

awebbf5

VIP Member

I respect your side but when we settle for less than what we are at the University of Florida I think there is a major problem. There is so much pride in me I want to think we can beat Bama but then when I snap back to reality I understand that it will probably be nasty, only way Saban doesn't run it up on us is becuase of his relationship with Muschamp. I know its still early but has anyone seen our recruiting next year? We are 41st as of rt now. I lost faith in Muschamp and am ready to axe him when it gets bad this year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Btw--just read that headline in Bleacher Report, "Saban praises Muschamp", and had to laugh, cynically. Yeah--the way a fat man praises a big juicy steak he's about to inhale...

Escambia94

I respect your side but when we settle for less than what we are at the University of Florida I think there is a major problem. There is so much pride in me I want to think we can beat Bama but then when I snap back to reality I understand that it will probably be nasty, only way Saban doesn't run it up on us is becuase of his relationship with Muschamp. I know its still early but has anyone seen our recruiting next year? We are 41st as of rt now. I lost faith in Muschamp and am ready to axe him when it gets bad this year.

For me it is a combination of having some faith in Muschamp and not having faith in anyone else out there.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again, it's the heavy accent on the latter part of that reasoning of E-'s, the "no one else out there" part, that brings me up short: If it's come to that, if that's the main reason we "stay the course", such as it is, we are in REAL trouble.
The recruiting-slide aweb talks about (I've been following it for some weeks--waiting, HOPING that a combination of our "great improvement" and time itself, getting closer to NSD would together bring that closer to our lately customary "top 5 Class") would be the final straw--and maybe the real clue rotting away quietly at our foundations, the true, inarguable and unmistakable sign that we are sinking fast now, where it counts...Think of recruiting as the "currency" by which a program purchases and develops its future--and the trends among the young men who will together comprise that future program are fleeing elsewhere, the same way investors sell their shares in a company that it is sensed doesn't warrant their confidence. Turned out Meyer had "left the cupboard bare" when he left a few years back, but if things continue like this, that may well look like a minor "retrenchment" compared to the full on "bankrupty" we could face a season or two down the road--and it'd likely take years of patient rebuilding just to get back to being able to compete properly on the recruiting trail again. THAT would in turn mean years longer for the right coaching staff, given time and patience on all our parts, to "get back". That's what's at stake here, and why even Muschamp-admirers ("Former admirers"? Getting real close) like myself are getting to the point where we know, as GATORS, we just may not be able to afford him much longer. At least can't afford to "wait'n'see", or give he and his staff anymore chances to finally show "real progress".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wanna be wrong wrong WRONG, believe me...over-reacting to a "not impressive enough WIN" like the GarorNation-detractors claim is so typical, and unreasonable of UF's fans in the first place. They say we "chased" first Spurrier, then Meyer outta here, our spoiled craziness driving them to places where they could both relax AND be more appreciated. I recall both situations and sequences differently, each distinct and related only in the fact that for whatever reasons, they weren't doing nearly as well in any department by the time each DECIDED THEMSELVES to leave. This time there has been no "golden era"--and it won't likely be Coach Will's choice, as a result. But if/when he and the team prove me wrong, soon begin the kind of run-to-greatness that shuts up all the critics, no one will be more satisfied, or quicker to admit the mistake, than I--or practically any OTHER true Gator, who just wants the best for this school, its team and program. We don't wanna be "right", we wanna BE THE BEST!!!

Escambia94

Sometimes you get lucky. The mighty are pretty damn lucky to have won this game. Even as a Gator fan, I would not declare this a victory as much as I would call this a contest of losers, with Florida being the losers with more points on the board. The Gators deserved to lose this game, and even failed at giving away the game to a team that has not beaten them since 1986. Give credit to the Kentucky Wildcats for outplaying the Gators and helping the Gator Nation realize that the Gators have a long way to go before being SEC East contenders. If Florida does not fix the entire defense, the quarterback’s decision making process, and the team’s eons-long lack of discipline, we could be watching one of the last “victories” in Will Muschamp’s career as Florida head football coach. Note: I am actually a staunch supporter of keeping Coach Muschamp as long as the overall program is upward trending, but at some point I will want to be proud of the team’s performance on the field as well as off the field.

Team Stat Comparison

1st Downs UK 23 FLA 28
3rd down efficiency UK 6-16 FLA 5-17
4th down efficiency UK 0-0 FLA 1-1
Total Yards UK 450 FLA 532
Passing UK 369 FLA 295
Comp-Att UK 24-45 FLA 25-44
Yards per pass UK 8.2 FLA 6.7
Rushing UK 81 FLA 237
Rushing Attempts UK 33 FLA 50
Yards per rush UK 2.5 FLA 4.7
Number of plays UK 78 FLA 94
Yard per pass or rush attempt UK 5.77 FLA 5.65
Penalties UK 8-61 FLA 8-78
Turnovers UK 3 FLA 1
Fumbles loss UK 0 FLA 0
Interceptions thrown UK 3 FLA 1
Possession UK 26:21 FLA 33:39

Notes:
  • Jeff Driskel did not get the ball snapped in time for the go-ahead TD score, but the SEC ruled that the referees used “proper mechanics” when they decided to not throw the flag for delay of game. Then again, the shoddy defensive play by the Wildcats in an obvious passing play where Demarcus Robinson was 99.9999% certain to get the ball probably would not have changed the outcome if the Gators had been backed up five yards with a clock run-out to replay the down. Besides, the Kentucky Wildcats should be happy they got away with a very obvious spear on Kelvin Taylor. All around, the referees sucked in this game, and it contributed to a horrid game.
  • The offense did not play up-tempo for some reason. Either they were looking ahead to Alabama, or purposely withheld the up-tempo aspect in order to hide video footage from Alabama.
  • The secondary was torched to the tune of 163 yards on six big plays (out of a total of 450 yards on 76 plays).
  • Demarcus Robinson matched Carlos Alvarez’s record with 12 catches on the night.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
I so much agree with all you say, I'm not even gonna try answering it point-by-point: It's all simply TRUE.
In fact, for these (and several more) very reasons, I am about to put up a "Thread" turning the page, as it were, to what we are, and what we face, going into Saturday's game against the Tide.
Title: "Push Comes To Shove"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema