• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day (11/15/14): 'Cocks in The Swamp

miltongator

Gator Fan
Heard in passing:
UF just hired a new president and Jeremy could announce his retirement in 2015. Therefore he may want to give the president time to get his AD and allow the new AD to hire a new coach and the easiest way is to keep Will one more year. BTW I wouldn't be shocked if JF became SEC commish.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Heard in passing:
UF just hired a new president and Jeremy could announce his retirement in 2015. Therefore he may want to give the president time to get his AD and allow the new AD to hire a new coach and the easiest way is to keep Will one more year. BTW I wouldn't be shocked if JF became SEC commish.

I saw that as well. It just gets worse for Gator fans. The UF athletic director gets paid $1.1M. The SEC commissioner gets about $1.6M plus bonuses, $2M with bonuses. Note that the UF president gets $550k. I can easily see Foley becoming the SEC commissioner, leaving Florida with a new president, a new athletic director, and a new football coach.

Escambia94

I don't know why this particular loss has gotten to me so much. Will Muschamp is, I'm sure, a great person and is doing the best that he can. But, it should be painfully obvious that he was not ready for this job and is not capable of resurrecting the program. It is PAST time to move on. I bleed orange and blue but I'm not sure how much more of this coaching staff I can take. I'm optimistically looking toward the future of the program and hope we can get our swag back within 3-4 years.

Agree on all points. I like Will Muschamp. I wish he could have turned the corner and become the head coach that many saw he would become, but that will not happen in 2014 and I lost my desire to gamble on him in 2015.

It is time to move on. The Missouri loss was my tipping point for emotional reasons, and South Carolina was my tipping point for logical reasons. After the Missouri loss there was absolutely no reason to believe Florida at 3-3/ 2-3 would beat Georgia and get back into the SEC East race. Fast forward to today and the Gators are 5-4/4-4 with a chance to finish 6-5/4-4 and get to a minor bowl game. Yes, those are admirable successes for most other programs. There are about 200 other schools that would love to be 7-5 (including a should-be Idaho win), 0.500 in the SEC, and headed to a bowl game. For Florida, that is a low mark and Muschamp should be asked to move on and develop his head coaching skills elsewhere.

Whether Florida keeps Muschamp or hires the ghost of Knute Rockne, it will take at least 3 years to turn the program around.

Escambia94

@DRU2012 No. The responsibility for winning football games lies with the football coach. It is in his contract right here [LINK]. It is the responsibility of the athletic director to run nine men's sports and twelve women's sports programs. He is just a businessman. Jeremy Foley, as a businessman, saw a wise investment in the young Muschamp.

Will Muschamp is going to be a good head coach one day. Whether he does that as the Florida head coach or at another school is to be determined. Muschamp's problem is not his coaching, but his timing. He was being set up for success at Texas--a complete coaching staff and recruiting team. He got a salary boost from $350k to $900k to be head coach in waiting, which was unheard of at the time. Kirby Smart at Alabama is just now hitting $950k five years after Muschamp, and Kirby is not the head coach in waiting. What does that tell you about Muschamp's worth? Muschamp did not get a good transition plan when he got to Florida. Urban Meyer, Charlie Strong, and Dan Mullen all took the best assistants and best Sunshine State recruiters. At this point, all three of those coaches have more 4 and 5 star recruits from Florida than Florida! Talk about bad timing! On top of that, FSU can do no wrong and Miami is still hauling in recruits from UF's recruiting pool. In summary, the bad timing:
  • Muschamp gave up the pre-canned transition plan at Texas that came with offensive and defensive coaching staff and recruiters that were his to control once Mack Brown stepped down
  • Muschamp had the b-team assistants that were left behind when Urban Meyer, Charlie Strong, and Dan Mullen took the a-team assistants
  • Muschamp got here just as FSU was hitting its stride, and as Miami recruiting was back on the uptick
  • Muschamp may be here for a changeover in university president, athletic director, and conference commissioner

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sigh. And Coach Will HAD to know, the moment that 'Cock "broke the plain" in overtime (that's why he ignored that "top prospect"--too much on-the-line before, no reason after). Yeah, finally. But the whole thing is a kind of "modern tragedy", one that goes ON: Muschamp will pick himself up, be a "good Coach" someday, have to see if he can rally LEARN to be a "great" one (not exactly a "quick study", from what we witnessed--that stubbornness, etc. may be his limiting factor) I'm NOT ready to either calmly make excuses for him, nor to concede our fated return to "Number # in Florida Football. "This", all the apparent "realities" E- lists above, didn't just arrive yesterday. It took time and a series of weaknesses, failures and second-rate performances by a number of folks, from top to bottom, to get us here. Finding the "right" people", most of all someone REALLY "right" to next lead us changes the picture immediately. However, it will take time to "fix" even so. HOW MUCH "time" is the main thing now.
As for all the rest, well, "We'll see". Whole deal gives me a headache AND a hangover: The game, the season, the repercussions and complex consequences, questions as to our future and the whole ball of entangled cause and effect confusion ahead...I am tired and down. (@miltongator, Me too: Has more or less "come on", the growing realization and disappointment at how badly we blew it ALL...among worst "bad losses " I have witnessed, in a season that tore me up inside) The game feels more and more a summation of everything wrong, how bad things are, and how much time and work is ahead under the BEST of circumstances--all the questions and revelations raised above only serve to complicate the picture. Not even close to "the best of circumstances". We may well be in deep sh*t, worse than I feared.
(@Escambia94, As for the point(s) I was trying to raise re Foley, I was already DONE with trying, had laid it out, along with all the supporting points I felt HAD to be faced, already. It seems events will insure not just that they are recognized, but necessarily addressed. Strikes me once more that on this subject at least we are talking at cross-purposes, not connecting, and I am relieved to be able to just let it go. Got enough other, more immediate and more pressing issues crowding in, and can count on this one now an implicit part of solving all of those. One more cursed example of "Careful what you ask for". How 'bout we drop it 'til it is directly relevant to actual events?)
Am going to wait a day or two before getting into the whole "who among the available" question and resultant lists.
Some we can rule out before even wasting time, energy and emotion on considering/discussing/arguing, just based on logic and available (but in some cases at least, not widely known) information (I've mentioned the whole "No way a Shanahan coaches at UF now or anytime soon" thing, for eg.--a whole "history" to that, and I doubt it is forgotten or ignored yet). We can't "play it safe", on the one hand, can't afford to, but given the timing, in general it seems the only alternative is the "bigger the gamble the larger the reward" kind of "reach"--and I don't trust Foley's intuition in that regard. That's what brought us Coach Will. So this IS gonna be "interesting"--as in dangerous, possibly contentious.
Like I said, "we'll see". Today, I am in a state of muted, reflective and philosophical regret. 'Course, I'm also hung over.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema