• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

DRU & Company....U got what u wanted

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
well u got what u wanted, and before this starts another war, i kno that mullen, strong, and tebow made urb look good, he is still a great coach....

now lets pray for a good coach to step in and not a Zook look alike

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Man, this is NOT necessarily "what I wanted". Of COURSE he was a great coach. In fact, lately I have hoped Urban would "snap out of it" and do what I felt deep down HE knew it was his responsibility to do--that has been the point of my open pleas of late. Don't you think he has made a clear choice here, his family and private life over the pressures, responsibilities and hard choices facing the Head Coach of the Florida Gators? As such, this decision is the right and fair one--to himself and his family, on the one hand, and to his players, the students, alumni, fans and institution that comprise Gator Nation, on the other.
I have the same concerns as everyone else going forward from here. Just as we'll never have another Tim Tebow, we won't be seeing another Urban Meyer soon coming down the road either. However, just as there will be other Gator quarterbacks, great ones who will thrill and inspire and lead their teams to future glory, there's no reason that we won't soon see a renewed, re-energized Gator program reestablishing dominance in the SEC thanks to the vision and effort of the right newly-hired coach, and the new blood he brings with him.
So I'm with you: Let's pray for that "right new hire"--we can have practically whomever we want; the only time constraint has to do with recruiting, and nothing is written in stone there until February, so we can take a few weeks NOW if we need it to consider, discuss, weigh the pros and cons, put out "backchannel feelers" and so on without rushing into anything so that, yes, this time we AVOID ANYTHING LIKE a Zook-type meltdown.

zook's offense>last yrs offense lol

im actually excited to see whats in store i got sick of worrying about baldy running our offense again next yr

now maybe we can get a good OC and some competition in practice and the best players will play

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I honestly think for that reason alone this saves us at minimum one year of decline.
Now, everything will turn on that next hire...

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Spurrier bailed AFTER his last bowl game, when it was too late to find the right guy. Zook was hired only as the caretaker coach until that right person could be found. It was a win win situation for Zook & UF. If Zook had succeeded, then UF & Zook look like heroes. In the meantime, as Zook slowing went down the tubes, Zook's presence allowed Foley to work on getting the right man, WITHOUT having to panic & rush. For Zook, he gained the experience he needed to become a head coach somewhere else, as otherwise, he would never have gotten a HC job.

Foley thinks he will find Meyer's replacement well before any bowl games. I think we will get the right guy, no matter who is hired. There's alot more prospects out there this time, than there were the other times we had to look.

The only real concern is with recruiting.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think we were done a favor there as well (by Meyer, not surprisingly), since this time it IS well before the bowl game, as you point out. Plus, Meyer himself and his great success have put the finishing touches on making this one of the handful of "best college coaching jobs in the country". Foley won't dally, and he shouldn't need someone this time in the "Zook role" to "keep the seat warm"--it really does appear he can get the guy he wants in most available scenarios (I have a fertile imagination, and I can envision some exceptions, but we'll worry about those if and when it turns out money, fame and access to the best talent turn out not to be attractive enough inducements after all--in other words, probably never).
Once they have their man, it's all about timing, strategy and spin control: he brings in his guys, they (and those staying) hit the road HARD and fast, calling, meeting, reassuring...this doesn't have to be a disaster, by any means.
(BTW--E-94 must be at work or otherwise tied up, otherwise we'd have heard his take on all this by now.)

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
ya it is what it is and we have to accept it, shortbus and I were talking and agreed it might not be a bad thing for boise's HC to come to florida and bring his staff with him and leave adazio in the unemployment line...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Yep. Working late.

I am happy for Urban Meyer. He is going out on top. By going out this way at a young age, he can still come back to college coaching when his kids leave home. I posted elsewhere that he was either a rocket that burned up all its fuel too soon, or one that used up everything it had. We will not know which one it is, at least not in 2011.

We will find a replacement. We will put too much pressure on him, and we will see how he does. Is this what I wanted? Well, yes and no. Urban keeps talking about family. He is about 5-10 years younger than the average national champion coach. We expected another 20 years out of him, but he has regrets for missing time with family. Understandable. If I got paid $4M a year I would quit the military and get to know my family. I'm jealous of Urban. Go out on top and leave the world asking for more.

I think we will be okay.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
I think this is the right choice for both parties. Meyer obvious has gotten burned out and wanting to see his kids grow. I respect the fact that he wants to be a family man first. Like I have said in many other posts all I wanted was for the old Meyer to come back and if he felt that could not happen then he should retire. I felt in his press conference he was saying he could no longer give Florida the time and effort it deserves from a Head Coach. He has never looked or talked the same after retiring last year. I'm sorta sad and excited about this whole deal. I loved who Meyer was once was but also despised who he had became. I cant wait to see the next coach they get in here. Theres a long list of good coaches, Mullen, Terry Bowden, Gruden just to name a few. I would also like to thank Meyer for everything he has done here not just on campus but off as well. He's a hell of a coach and gator nation will miss him. Thank you Meyer.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
...Terry Bowden...

Never say never, but....NEVER!

Besides, like it or not, he is tied into the play for pay scandal at AU. He knew they were paying players off, even tho he did tried to stop it. Fact is, it went on during his watch, too...and he was well aware of that fact.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Never say never, but....NEVER!

Besides, like it or not, he is tied into the play for pay scandal at AU. He knew they were paying players off, even tho he did tried to stop it. Fact is, it went on during his watch, too...and he was well aware of that fact.

we shall sit and wait

G8RB8R

VIP Member
The Midget is a good coach, no doubt about it, but I don't think those old Bull Gators could tolerate a Bowden coaching at UF.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think this is the right choice for both parties. Meyer obvious has gotten burned out and wanting to see his kids grow. I respect the fact that he wants to be a family man first. Like I have said in many other posts all I wanted was for the old Meyer to come back and if he felt that could not happen then he should retire. I felt in his press conference he was saying he could no longer give Florida the time and effort it deserves from a Head Coach. He has never looked or talked the same after retiring last year. I'm sorta sad and excited about this whole deal. I loved who Meyer was once was but also despised who he had became. I cant wait to see the next coach they get in here. Theres a long list of good coaches, Mullen, Terry Bowden, Gruden just to name a few. I would also like to thank Meyer for everything he has done here not just on campus but off as well. He's a hell of a coach and gator nation will miss him. Thank you Meyer.

In his press conference earlier, Urban himself said it all succinctly, that he'd had enough, that his heart wasn't in it and the on-field performance of his team had suffered because of it, that it was right and good that he was stepping down now, and he was content in this decision.
There is every reason for excitement, anticipation and optimism, the list is long and we will pretty well have our CHOICE. As for that decision, we've been discussing that here in another thread, and as far as the two you've added here, Gruden, while possibly available, strikes me as unlikely...while (lol) Terry Bowden rates a "No WAY!"--either of the reasons already given would be more than enough all by themselves, together, PLUS a few more that occur to me make that one beyond the pale. Yeah, I know, "never say never", but GEEZ, these are the Florida GATORS, you're "Ufgatorfan" and I don't need to explain any of this to you, right?
All in all, tho', you hit the right balance here I think.
When Meyer announced his resignation LAST year , like many in Gator Nation I was shocked and panic-stricken...This time, I am not that surprised and, if anything, I am RELIEVED. Like you, I am excited and hopeful about our future.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I'm happy. Meyer lost his fire. I appreciate what he has done for us and consider him a Gator Hall of Fame member. We were lucky to have him for as long as we did. But it became apparent that we needed to move forward. Meyer wasn't the same coach he was in the past. He was the perfect hire before so I think we should follow the same formula in finding our next head coach. A young, fiery innovator from out West. Chris Petersen needs Florida and Florida needs Chris Petersen. I think we would have a better chance of winning a national title in the next few years with Petersen rather than Meyer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm happy. Meyer lost his fire. I appreciate what he has done for us and consider him a Gator Hall of Fame member. We were lucky to have him for as long as we did. But it became apparent that we needed to move forward. Meyer wasn't the same coach he was in the past. He was the perfect hire before so I think we should follow the same formula in finding our next head coach. A young, fiery innovator from out West. Chris Petersen needs Florida and Florida needs Chris Petersen. I think we would have a better chance of winning a national title in the next few years with Petersen rather than Meyer.

Exactly how I feel, at this point.
Thanks for boiling it down and stating it so simply, Z-.

G8RB8R

VIP Member

Losing the Fire: that's how I felt about Spurrier after the 1996 Championship season. Seemed like he too lost the drive once he had won the NC...was never the same after that, and became even more disinvolved from recruiting, letting the asst's do most of it for him. He's not nearly as fiery at USC as he was at UF, regardless of being older.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Losing the Fire: that's how I felt about Spurrier after the 1996 Championship season. Seemed like he too lost the drive once he had won the NC...was never the same after that, and became even more disinvolved from recruiting, letting the asst's do most of it for him. He's not nearly as fiery at USC as he was at UF, regardless of being older.

Spurrier lost a lot of coaches after 1996. Sounds like Meyer after 2008. Losing coaches that are close friends is tough. Think about it. When coaching assistants leave they have to steal from you. They steal other assistants. They steal plays. They steal recruits. This is why they get paid the big bucks. A dumb oaf like Addazio is worth keeping. Trustworthy. Too dumb to leave and steal plays and assistants. Too loyal to stab his mentor in the back. I have a newfound respect for Addazio and a better understanding of the pressures of being a head ball coach.

crmixon

Gator Fan
Has anyone heard anything about the recruits and where they stand? I hope the process is done soon so we can see what our recruiting class looks like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema