• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Baby Gators: Florida Gators Recruiting Class of 2011

How Good is the Gator Recruiting Class of 2011?

• Total voters

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It’s National Signing Day…and Groundhog Day. Maybe it is not a coincidence that these two events occur on the same day. Experts will be guessing, predicting the future based on silly factoids, and testing one another’s “crystal balls”. Speaking of balls, it takes some serious cajones to anoint F$U as "being back" based on one solid recruiting year. Speaking of crystal, we have two crystal trophies in this past decade to entice players to come to Titletown, plus a plethora of NFL coaching expertise to help these student athletes make it to the next level.

READ MORE...

baby_gator_in_egg.jpg

robdog

Gator Fan
I put other considering the coaching change that we have gone through. That type of change is going to cause a few recruits to jump ship so to speak. I have confidence that in the next couple of years our recruiting classes are going to be great!

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I'm sure we'll be fine, especially considering the majority of our 4 and 5 stars from last years signing class were redshirted, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed when I see some of the guys we were targeting signing elsewhere today.

crmixon

Gator Fan
Don't get too down or forget that Urban's first class had 18 and was ranked 15th in the nation. I think we did fine after that one and I think that we will be fine now as well.

Escambia94

It looks like we gained 1 from the morning projection, Marcus Roberson. Currently ESPN has bumped us from #10 or #11 to #8 in recruiting. Rivals has bumped us up from #18 to #14. Scout has us steady at #21.

We addressed most of our needs, which is really what is important. We sure could use more offensive linemen and pass rushers, but this class and last year's class should keep us competitive.

Welcome to the Gator Nation:
  1. - Jeff Driskell, QB (#1)
  2. - Mike Blakely, RB (#7)
  3. - A.C. Leonard, DE (#7)
  4. - De’Ante ”Pop” Saunders, DE (#10)
  5. - Javares McRoy, WR (#28)
  6. - Clay Burton, DE (#22)
  7. - Kyle Christy, K (#4)
  8. - Ja’Juan Story, WR (#6)
  9. - Jabari Gorman, S (#8)
  10. - Loucheiz Purifoy, ATH (#31)
  11. - Valdez Showers, ATH (#51)
  12. - Graham Stewart, OLB (#53)
  13. - Trip Thurman, OT (#68)
  14. - Chris Johnson, S (#56)
  15. - Tommy Jordan, OT (#122)
  16. - Hunter Joyer, FB (#7)
  17. - Tevin Westbrook, DE (not ranked)
  18. - Marcus Roberson, S (#9) - Good save! We snagged him from Auburn!

Enjoy being Gator Bait:
  • Curtis Grant, ILB (#3) – Debated to have signed with tOSU.
  • Jacob Fisher, OT (#82) – Signed with Oregon.
  • Jermauria Rasco, DE (#17) – Signed with LSU. I had hoped he connected with Muschamp and we could have stolen him from Texas or LSU. Oh well.
  • Elkino Watson, DT (#75) – Yikes. Signed with USF. Let's hope this is not an early sign of losing ground on the South Florida recruiting bed.
  • Jacoby Brissett, QB (#25) – Still unsigned and flipping a coin between Miami or Wisconsin. My bet is with Miami.
  • Junior Pomee, TE (#13) – Will sign with USC.
  • Stephone Anthony, OLB (#1) - Signed with Clemson. F$U is upset.
  • Tim Jernigan, DT (#2) – Signed with F$U after considering Tennessee.
  • Curt Maggitt, OLB (#3) - Signed with Tennessee

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(See my post on the "Rivals...changes..."-thread--don't want to have to go over all of that a 2nd time!)

Bottom line(s): Got to take into account the circumstances leading up to our signing-day--limit your expectations AND your disappointment. Even WITHOUT that caveat, it was a solid outcome. WE addressed essential needs (especially on the D-line), held onto most of the real studs Meyer and Co. had targeted, worked on and brought in over the last season or two, and picked up a handful of high-grade "extras" here at the end.
Meanwhile, we DO have all that talent (inclu. LAST year's highest-ranked class, just about to come into its own) in the pipeline. That's just one of a number of points that can't be addressed in one year's recruiting ranking. How the players turn out, what the staff does with them, and what they are in position to do the NEXT year as a result of that crop are huge factors, in the long run. We're in great shape there, it appears.
We have some redshirt freshmen and about-to-blossom sophomores that seem ready to assume big roles on offense and on defense--it'll be exciting to see what our well known "innovators" do with their respective groups of talent. And remember: Chomp and Co. still hold a clutch of scholarships in-pocket for next year. You can bet that this was no accident. "Quality, not quantity" has been the catch-phrase, and part of that was with NEXT year in mind, I'm sure.
Finally, I believe that because he signed his letter so early, got enrolled here for spring and is already attending classes, Driskel's importance has sort of been "lost in the shuffle" of hype, hats and relative rankings. Never mind that silliness about who, what or why he was worthy of 4- or 5-stars, he was and is far and away the most talented and exciting QB in the whole class. This kid is a game-changer, with enormous potential upside at the dominant, pivotal position on offense--and we got him! Yeah, we are going to be BETTER than "fine".
So hold your heads high, Gators. We walk our own road, and are in good shape and good hands to take us to the ultimate destination, our next National Championship, in due time: THAT'S the one that matters, not one or another group of media-guys' idea of which school got the biggest or the best haul of yet-to-be-proven young players to come try and make their team that year.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
you're right Dru. Look at it this way: New coaching staff with a new style of play, came off a bit of a disappointing season, and we had the #1 class last year and a team that is still pretty young.

All of that should scare off recruits, but we were able to get great players in some positions that we needed. I give a grade of B or maybe B+. Understand that an A was almost unattainable under these circumstances.

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I agree a lot of what has been said throughout this post, but I still realllllly wish we had picked up a few more LBer's. Has any more word come out on whether or not Powell would be moving from DE to LBer?

Escambia94

Two prospects left on the board! "Insiders" think QB Jacoby Brissett wants to challenge Jeff Driskel for the starting position in 2012. Logic dictates that he would go to Miami, which still needs a QB. I would be happy to have him, but I will not get excited yet. We will know by Friday night. DT/NT John Jenkins will let us know by Saturday whether he flipped a coin and chose UF or UGA. This 6'4", 340-lb beast would be perfect for our new 3-4 defense.

Escambia94

The blogosphere is 99% convinced that Brissett is coming to G'ville as of noon today.

hell yea competition is always good as long the better guy doesnt leave like newton lol

im loving these numbers too 32 TD's and 1 INT in HS? holy ****!!!!

As a senior, Brissett threw for 2,473 yards, 32 touchdowns and one interception on 152 of 239 passing. He also rushed for 368 yards and seven touchdowns on 63 carries.

JvilleJohnny

hell yea competition is always good as long the better guy doesnt leave like newton lol

im loving these numbers too 32 TD's and 1 INT in HS? holy ****!!!!

As a senior, Brissett threw for 2,473 yards, 32 touchdowns and one interception on 152 of 239 passing. He also rushed for 368 yards and seven touchdowns on 63 carries.

Good stats, good for depth.

But the way this kid is dragging his decision out, it's turning me off of him. I kind of want him to go to Miami.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just came thru' from Sun-Sent. on my phone: Brissett a Gator (announced tonight @ B-ball game)...can't have too many high-potential QBs--but at exact same time? I give the kid props for competitive confidence, tho'. Aren't we all tired of these guys turning their backs on us 'cause there might already be talent here? I guess ideally one will seize the starter- or soon-to-be-starter-role, while the other ends up red-shirted.
Meanwhile, apparently we're still "close in it" with two other talented prospects. This juco DT Jonathon Jenkins is the one I'm most intrigued by, just based on his supposed talent and our unmitigated NEED at that position.
Then there's someone out there named "Junior Pomee" (sp?) that I hear talk about but have no specific information about; someone want to fill me in on him--and further comment on all of this?

Escambia94

Junior Pomee, TE (#13) – Will sign with USC.
As I predicted, Junior Pomee chose USC along with his high school buddy. He is from Moreno Valley, CA, which is a hotbed for USC. The question is, "Does USC have enough scholarships for him given the state of their NCAA penalty?"

DT/NT John Jenkins will let us know by Saturday whether he flipped a coin and chose UF or UGA. This 6'4", 340-lb beast would be perfect for our new 3-4 defense.
As much as I would love to see him come to UF, UGA has been recruiting this guy hard for the Dream Team. If we snag him, we should celebrate. If we don't get him, we can chalk it up to the short recruiting cycle for Muschamp and company.

"Insiders" think QB Jacoby Brissett wants to challenge Jeff Driskel for the starting position in 2012. Logic dictates that he would go to Miami, which still needs a QB. I would be happy to have him, but I will not get excited yet.

I'm glad I was wrong on Brissett. I'm dumbfounded, but giddy like a little girl that we got him. I cannot recall the last time we had two 4/5-star QBs in the same year. Portis and Tebow?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Portis left before the 2006 season because of Tebow. I like to said before Tebow came but he came in Jan 2006 if I recall. Saw that things didn't work in Maryland for him.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, would still love to see us grab Jenkins but not expecting anything there; after Signing day that just seems like the way to go, emotionally speaking.
As for getting a second hot young quarterback, that could go either way. They'll spur each other on come this first spring, but how will that competition go long-term? If it's handled right we can at least hope that it's a FRIENDLY rivalry, with the coaches deciding who's ahead developmentally to get the fast track to starting while the other puts on the redshirt (with that kid from GHS walking on we shouldn't need them both this year AND Brantley, at least barring injury). The one thing we all hope we DON'T see again is another talented QB bailing 'cause for one reason and/or another it all doesn't happen for him right away (I know that's over-simplifying some complex events and sets of circumstances that have transpired in the last few years, but y'all know what I'm talking about here).
It gets real exciting just thinking about what Weis can do over the next few years with a succession of superb QBs, each completely familiar with the basic pro-style scheme, yet each with a unique set of skills and leading a version of that offense tailored and tweaked to those skills. It will be just as important that our Head Coach is able to build a real team here at UF once again, that he conveys his enthusiasm and deep commitment to his players in such a way that it becomes the foundation of an almost family-like unity, a special bond that none ever want to break or betray.
Do it right, and year by year, it keeps getting stronger. You gotta wanna play here, stay here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema