• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anyone watch Swamp Kings yet?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I just finished all four episodes (Yes, it's four episodes). I won't reveal too much other than I wished there were some Gators that could have been there but weren't.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I just finished all four episodes (Yes, it's four episodes). I won't reveal too much other than I wished there were some Gators that could have been there but weren't.
Me too (JUST finished the 4th one)...We'd heard that it was gonna be an "even-handed", "real" documentary that delved behind the scenes.
Me, I was afraid it would be more a "whitewash"--a PR vehicle for Urban Meyer (who may well be timing his return to coaching behind its release).
Although not quite as bad a version of the latter as feared, it sure wasn't deserving of the earlier description either.
Maybe that was to be expected with just FOUR 45 minute-long installments. A whole lot there to unpack and examine in those 5 years (not to mention any decent look at the time, events abd forces that led up to Meyer's hiring, AND its aftermath. The very fact of so many people missing from the tale is both a symptom and a reason for the productions limitations. Not surprisingly, it was mostly about Meyer, Tebow and a few more (most of these last though, like Harvin and others, seeming to just come and go). Way to little balance when it comes to others, like Leak...Fact is, Meyer's FIRST Championship in '06 was accomplished with Leak and basically all the guys that ZOOK brought in!
All in all, I both enjoyed it and had my concerns.
Perhaps I need to watch it again at some point, see it more objectively...Then again, it wasn't all THAT entertaining a series.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Leak would have been a good guy to have with him being a pocket passer under a Spread Offense. I'm sure it couldn't have been easy to adjust. Unsure if it was because what happened later on.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I just finished all four episodes today. I am pleasantly surprised that it was not an ESPN 30 for 30 hit piece, and I was okay with giving Urban Meyer an opportunity to tell his side of the story. If Urban were smart he would restart that apology tour that he had going briefly when he visited Dan Mullen’s Gators as head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. For a minute it looked as if he were campaigning for forgiveness so he can be enshrined in the Gator Ring of Honor. His screw-up in Jacksonville and the firing of Mullen put that forgiveness thing on hold, but “Swamp Kings” might be a step in the right direction.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
In the Doc, Meyer regrets cutting Avery Atkins and he would try not to kick anyone off the team though he also kicked out safety Jamar Hornsby. However, do we blame him for kicking them out? Also, I don't think Meyer's failure at Jacksonville will have any impact (unless you count the off-the-field stuff).

Last edited:

Escambia94

In the Doc, Meyer regrets cutting Avery Atkins and he would try not to kick anyone off the team though he also kicked out safety Jamar Hornsby. However, do we blame him for kicking them out? Also, I don't think Meyer's failure at Jacksonville will have any impact (unless you count the off-the-field stuff).
Meyer’s failure and being caught cheating on his wife while coach of the Jaguars absolutely impacts his Ring of Honor enshrinement. The same rich boosters who will pay for Meyer’s Ring of Honor enshrinement are also big fans of the Jaguars. Florida boosters are rather particular with national perception, which is why Meyer’s name is not in the RoH already and why all public references to Aaron Hernandez have been erased.

I wrote an article here on GE about Avery Atkins a long time ago because Urban mentions it in his book. I seriously believe that the death of Atkins changed his perspective with treatment of his players and deciding whom to kick off the team. Nobody wants to hear this, but the best athletes tend to have the most legal troubles due to upbringing around violence and drugs. By avoiding the discussion we are hurting our ability to address the problem. Those legal issues hurt Urban Meyer’s reputation and likability factor for the Ring of Honor. If those problems return as Napier brings in 5-star recruits from troubled homes then we will see problems again. These issues are all related.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Unsure who cares or not but Cam Newton's thoughts.

He repped for Chris Leak and I do agree with him (yes, I know). I think Leak should have been on the doc though again what happened later on was the reason why. Also, wished they did get guys like Haden, the Pouncey Twins, and others.

Escambia94

Cam Newton makes a good point about the national championship ring. It is interesting to watch his interview from 2018(?) where he speaks rather fondly of his time as a Gator. As for Chris Leak, Percy Harvin, the Pouncey twins, and Joe Haden, the athletes had the opportunity to sign up for the documentary and they made their decisions. My only complaint against the documentary was the way they made Chris Leak look; however, I also understand why the administration and the documentary producers want to stay away from Chris Leak (sexual assault allegations as high school coach in 2016 will do that, even if charges were dropped).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, it's funny that in the end, it said that Meyer "left" the Jaguars while at the same time, they played a news clip saying he was fired.
And man, watching the opening game at Utah tonight I am struck by how strong our program really WAS back during (and even between) its two peaks of "Glory Years" that stretched Spurrier-to-Meyers, 90s to '08/'09, Werfel to Leak/Tebow/Newton and a whole LOT of talent in between--and how (as E-- points out over on tonight's game thread) we are still PAYING for all the misteps SINCE (including by some of tge very people mentioned above!)...and by the WAY:
How irritatingly ironic is it to have DAN MULLEN pontificating on the ESPN CFB pregame show directly before this one aired?
I mean, "Speak of the devil!"
Others started the process, but HE just completed it and nailed the lid down on it.
The very fact that I am over here right now, the 2nd half now under way on our first game of the season but me no longer able to stomach it, shows how far and deep we have sunk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema