• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2009 Spring Practice thread

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Some notes from the first day of practice: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/03/florida-gators-live-from-spring-practice.html

Matt Patchan is on crutches with a cast on his left knee: http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20090326/ARTICLES/903269997/1136?Title=Notebook-Patchan-arrives-on-crutches-to-workout

There's also a plan to avoid the complacency that followed the 2006 NC win: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/03/florida-gators-battle-injuries-complacency.html

Ben Volin's thoughts from the PBP: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/03/25/spring_practice_report_day_1.html#jump

bilde

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I don't know if this has been asked before ........... but is this one of the more anticipated seasons that you can remember? I know it is for me.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Notes from Fridays practice

Lowlights
Wide receiver Paul Wilson had to do push-ups after fumbling during a one-on-one tackling drill. ... Due to a heavy rush, Tebow had to roll right out of the pocket and tried to throw a pass with his right hand. The ball nose-dived into the turf a few feet in front of him. The guy applying the pressure to Tebow was defensive end Jermaine Cunningham, who is having a very good spring.

Young guy watch
True freshman middle linebacker Jon Bostic sacked Tim Tebow during the two-minute drill near the end of practice. ... Redshirt freshman David Young was running with the No. 1 offense at right tackle. Fellow redshirt freshman Sam Robey was the center on the first-team line.

Quote/unquote
"Frankie, Frankie, this is the two-minute drill. Get out of bounds." UF quarterback Tim Tebow shouting to redshirt freshman wide receiver Frankie Hammond after he took a pass in the flat and try to head up field instead of going out of bounds to stop the clock

Play of the day
During 11-on-11, defensive tackle Omar Hunter hit quarterback John Brantley from behind. Brantley bobbled the ball and cornerback Markihe Anderson picked it out of the air and returned the fumble for a touchdown.
Highlights
Sophomore wide receiver Deonte Thompson lit up the practice field with perhaps the best practice he's had since he's been at Florida. He looked extremely fast and confident coming out of his cuts and none of the defensive backs could cover him. He caught every pass thrown his way. He was clearly the best offensive player on the field Friday. It appears that he has made dramatic improvement in his route running, something that is allowing him to get separation from the defensive backs. ...

The rest of the story.......

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I drove up to Gainesville to watch Saturday's practice, and it couldn't have been a better day to watch some football.

I noticed our class of 2010 QB recruit Trey Burton was in attendance; already I like this kid's enthusiasm about the Gators. Something tells me this kid has leadership potential.

One thing did bother me: a couple of fans with UGA gear and two fans wearing "Illinoise" sweatshirts were in the crowd, and I really didn't fancy their lurking around.

The Pounceys were also on the field, but weren't in pads due to injuries.

After warmups and the "Circle of Life", Coach Meyer then got the guys started scrimmaging. Overall, the defense outplayed our offense, and the injury-depleted O-line wasn't blokcing effectively. One could easily hear Steve Addazio coaching up his players, and even Meyer yelled at them "You've got to BLOCK!". Still, it's a good way for our coaches to find out their strengths and weaknesses; after all, that's one of the purposes of spring practice. With freshmen being thrown into the lineup it's easy to notice the inexperience and only fair to cut them some slack.

Tim Tebow didn't have a perfect day either; on his first drive he wound up being picked off by Brandon Spikes. Because of the gaps in the O-line, he and Johnny Brantley were getting blitzed and "touched" (which in real-time would be sacks, but they were both wearing no-contact jerseys). Still, they did get some plays made; Tebow hit Carl Moore on a nice pass, Deonte Thompson had a couple of nice ones, Aaron Hernandez broke out on a couple of underneath catches later on and Frankie Hammond had some nice catches as well. Emmanuel Moody had a couple of decent rushes, but because of the weakness in the O-line wasn't getting the blocking he needed.

Chris Rainey had a nice kickoff return to start things out; as far as rushing he wasn't as productive.

David Nelson went down with a twisted ankle and wound up being carted off the field by the trainers; I hope it's not serious. Deonte Thompson was also grabbing his left hammy towards the end of practice, but I'm hoping he'll still be able to go this week.

Tempers were also getting a little heated and there were a couple of times that players were mixing it up after the play was over; these kids need to remember that they're teammates, and this is intra-squad practice.

Defense was clearly the winner on Saturday, and I was especially impressed by our play on the corners as well as from our line and our secondary. Earl Okine and Jon Bostic are two freshmen who look good already, and I'm glad to see Wondy Pierre-Louis stepping it up a bit; after all, he's a senior and it's his last chance to be a playmaker for the Gators.

As far as I could see, some of our younger players are still unsure of their assignments and were reminded of that at one time by the coaches. The QB's had to motion players where to line up, and this will only improve with added experience on the field.

Brandon James is healing; I asked him if he was getting better to which he replied "yes ma'am" when I passed him by as he was heading onto the practice field with some of the other injured players.

I sat with the father of one of our offensive linemen (Bill Steinmann) at practice and talked about our Gators; two older gentlemen up from Ocala were also good company in the bleachers.

We still have a lot of work to do, and I'm anxious to see what they can pull together by the 18th when I go back up for the O&B game.

GO GATORS!!!!!!! :gator::gator::gator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema