• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday Week 12: Florida vs the other Driskel

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
No doubt he's a great coach and will get up back to the top, but I think he needs to call a duck a duck. We are not finding ways to win. Yes we are wining games but it's hardly cause we are finding ways to win. We seem to be finding ways to lose and our opponents are coming up short. Our defense is letting teams get back into games and our offense is dismal. I sure didn't expect to be 10-1 but I expect us to be able to handle teams like FIU and Vandy. Other than our record I just don't see any game to game improvement. Then again I guess wins and losses is what really matters. I guarteen if we play like this next year our record will be no where near 10-1. Our LUCK will definitely run out.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Reality is that we're not a very good team right now, but still a way better record than I would have thought at the beginning of the year. Remember the "Fun and Gun"? What we have this year is "Baling Wire and Duct Tape".
I still believe Coach Mac will get us to a good offense....it just may take a couple of years.

Or when Will Grier gets back.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No doubt he's a great coach and will get up back to the top, but I think he needs to call a duck a duck. We are not finding ways to win. Yes we are wining games but it's hardly cause we are finding ways to win. We seem to be finding ways to lose and our opponents are coming up short. Our defense is letting teams get back into games and our offense is dismal. I sure didn't expect to be 10-1 but I expect us to be able to handle teams like FIU and Vandy. Other than our record I just don't see any game to game improvement. Then again I guess wins and losses is what really matters. I guarteen if we play like this next year our record will be no where near 10-1. Our LUCK will definitely run out.
Can't really argue with any of that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As for all the rest, "baling wire and duct tape" indeed: I hope everyone understands what the BIG loss was today, regardless of however our GAME hadda turned out. Will Grier is confirmed "lost" to us til Game 7, and unless Mac gets one of these "hot young hands", some sort of "freshman prodigy" we've seen step in at some other top-ranked schools this year, works with him all spring and summer and has him throwin' darts and going thru his progressions by the middle of September, we'll be lucky if we're 3-3 by the time WG gets back next year. So it'll likely be the year AFTER, earliest, before we're in The Big Hunt again. But next time we may have a real chance of DOING something with it. Until then, prob need to get used to this tight, gut-achin' pessimism we're all living with by now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Alternative: Anyone unloaded any future-Heisman prospects, off to Blinn or Ark. St. to rebuild their rep while their dad auctions 'em off to the highest bidder back in "The Big Leagues"? Naw, that NEVER happens...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
gonna run out before then...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
After the alcohol wore off I analyzed the film.
  • Antonio Calloway is a beast, but if Demarcus Robinson does not get open then the opposing defensive backs just isolate him and cut off Treon Harris' passing game.
  • Jake McGee is a godsend at tight end, but Treon needs another short-to-medium target. Brandon Powell needs to be in the slot and needs to get open. I also think DRob has resorted to being lazy on routes and blocks.
  • Brian Poole needs to learn to turn his head when covering a receiver, and he needs to wrap up when tackling. He reminds me of Ahmad Black--he just wants to hit people. Hard.
  • Talen Jabor can be very good or very bad. He is still young, so I expect him to get better.
  • VH3 was MIA today, and it showed. FAU hit receivers where VH3 would have played or would have supported.
  • Getting those injured defensive players back next week will solve a lot of problems, but I still expect FSU and Alabama to run a lot on this defense.
  • Johnny Football is our MVP. Note: his dad is Will Grier's lawyer.
  • Austin Hardin. Yeah. There is no way to fix the kicking game without sending Austin to a kicking psychologist.
  • Treon Harris. (Pardon me while I start drinking again.) Even the analysts on TV agree with us armchair QBs. If the offensive line is not helping Treon, then get him some help on the offensive line. Move a TE over. Swap out a receiver for a blocker. Move a DL to the OL.
A week ago I would have said that this team can beat FSU, but not Bama. Right now, I would say that this team will lose its next three games: FSU, Bama, and the bowl game.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
  • Antonio Calloway is a beast, but if Demarcus Robinson does not get open then the opposing defensive backs just isolate him and cut off Treon Harris' passing game.
  • Jake McGee is a godsend at tight end, but Treon needs another short-to-medium target. Brandon Powell needs to be in the slot and needs to get open. I also think DRob has resorted to being lazy on routes and blocks.
  • Brian Poole needs to learn to turn his head when covering a receiver, and he needs to wrap up when tackling. He reminds me of Ahmad Black--he just wants to hit people. Hard.
  • Talen Jabor can be very good or very bad. He is still young, so I expect him to get better.
  • VH3 was MIA today, and it showed. FAU hit receivers where VH3 would have played or would have supported.
  • Getting those injured defensive players back next week will solve a lot of problems, but I still expect FSU and Alabama to run a lot on this defense.
  • Austin Hardin. Yeah. There is no way to fix the kicking game without sending Austin to a kicking psychologist.
  • Treon Harris. (Pardon me while I start drinking again.) Even the analysts on TV agree with us armchair QBs. If the offensive line is not helping Treon, then get him some help on the offensive line. Move a TE over. Swap out a receiver for a blocker. Move a DL to the OL.
A week ago I would have said that this team can beat FSU, but not Bama. Right now, I would say that this team will lose its next three games: FSU, Bama, and the bowl game.
Agree 100%

Leakfan12

VIP Member
As for all the rest, "baling wire and duct tape" indeed: I hope everyone understands what the BIG loss was today, regardless of however our GAME hadda turned out. Will Grier is confirmed "lost" to us til Game 7, and unless Mac gets one of these "hot young hands", some sort of "freshman prodigy" we've seen step in at some other top-ranked schools this year, works with him all spring and summer and has him throwin' darts and going thru his progressions by the middle of September, we'll be lucky if we're 3-3 by the time WG gets back next year. So it'll likely be the year AFTER, earliest, before we're in The Big Hunt again. But next time we may have a real chance of DOING something with it. Until then, prob need to get used to this tight, gut-achin' pessimism we're all living with by now.

The only available QB in the class of 2016 is Xavier Gaines. Unsure about Jack's kid. Also @Escambia94 you think it's going to be like the ending 1999 season expect the 1999 team was much better than this team.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Exactly right.

Escambia94

Just a reminder, here are the top QB recruits for 2016:
  • Felipe Franks - LSU. Florida could make a play for him, but only if they will let him play both baseball and football. Florida would need to beat FSU, since his school (Wakulla) tends to feed FSU.
  • Jack Allison - Miami. Allison is solid to Miami unless there is a major coaching shakeup.
  • Jacob Eason - Georgia. Eason is fairly solid to Georgia despite his primary recruiter taking over for Jim McElwain at CSU. He has not been recruited by Florida, but if he has shown interest in FSU, Florida would need to jump on him quickly, and only if Florida looks good against FSU.
  • Seth Green - Oregon. Green may consider his options after watching the mystique of the Oregon offense disappear.
  • Malik Henry - FSU. Henry is another stud who wants to play two sports, baseball and football. If Florida wants these stud athletes, it will need to package its recruiting efforts as well as FSU and LSU for two-sport athletes.
  • Brandon McElwain - South Carolina. Now that USC is falling apart without Spurrier, he should consider other options. The downside is that he is pretty small.
  • Shea Patterson - Ole Miss. After his convoluted recruiting process, he is not going anywhere.
  • Shane Buechele - Texas. He is solid to Texas.
  • KJ Costello - Stanford. Solid.
  • Brandon Peters - Michigan. Solid.
  • Austin Kendall - Oklahoma. Solid.
  • Tristen Wallace - tOSU. Keep him.
  • Jarrett Guarantano - Tennessee. Keep him.
  • Matt Fink - USCw. Keep him.
  • Dwayne Haskins - Maryland. He would love to stay home, but he would also be a fascinating steal for Florida.
  • Woody Barrett - Auburn. This kid is from Orlando, so he should consider Florida and Florida should consider him.
  • Jawon Pass - Louisville. Now that Louisville is no longer appealing, perhaps the Georgia native should consider other options.
On the JUCO front, Florida is not actively recruiting anyone. Most of the JUCOs are from California apparently, but there are some who played high school football in the Sunshine State:
  • Janarious Graham, Fort Scott CC by way of Pompano Beach, FL
  • Garret Kruczek, Copiah-Lincoln CC by way of Winter Garden, FL
  • Alin Edouard, Garden City CC by way of Hialeah, FL
All of these kids are small, around 6-1, under 200 pounds. There are not a lot of options at JUCO. The few options for transferring from FCS to FBS are slim. Florida needs to poach a quality QB recruit from somebody.

Escambia94

For those of you who missed the game, here are the highlights in just a few pictures:
yJZGmbS.gif

Taven Bryan returns Jason Driskel's fumble to the 2-yard line (10:03, 3Q)

QCkweqG.gif

Antonio Calloway 53-yard TD pass from Treon Harris (5:38, 3Q)

KjinPCl.gif

Jalen Tabor strips/intercepts Jaquez Johnson at the 21-yard line, no return (12:43, 4Q)

H6mHWUK.gif

Jake McGee 13-yard TD pass from Treon Harris (OT)

KxLDm9o.gif

Brian Poole defends desperation pass to seal the victory in OT

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The only available QB in the class of 2016 is Xavier Gaines. Unsure about Jack's kid. Also @Escambia94 you think it's going to be like the ending 1999 season expect the 1999 team was much better than this team.
I'm going to talk about that "past and future" a little bit here:
Thing is, OTHER programs manage to recognize and pull in less-heralded, "under-the-radar" types who (thru injury, suspension, surprising ineptness or WHATEVER on the part of much better known 4- and 5-star guys) rise on the depth chart, then are pressed into service under dire circumstances. They rise to the occasion. But first they had to be recognized, brought in and nurtured by a Coach and staff who, whether by necessity or wisdom saw the potential and character there--then convinced that young man to have the patience and confidence (in the coaches and HIMSELF) that with determination, hard work and attention to detail (all often lacking in the high profile, prodigious "natural talents" who get to play "hat games" on NSD) his time will come--and maybe sooner than anyone thinks.
By all accounts and signs in his previous work, and so far here at UF, Coach Mac is EXACTLY one of those guys who searches out and finds such players, surrounds himself with coaches who do the same and encourages their own best inclinations. He and his coaches have generally HAD to find them, to run his offenses, and WIN with them in those varied previous stops.
...So: Maybe WE can get a few of those kinda kids in, begin to build some DEPTH at QB, along with the work still ahead on the lines, at WR, the RBs??? Just ONE unheralded, hidden "gem" from some backwater would do, right now. And in our case, he'd know he was in the fight to LEAD, to be the starting QB at a high-profile SEC program RIGHT AWAY, if he can get up to speed fast enough.
Big "IF", yes. But I don't see much else in the way of " hopeful alternatives ". Treon has pretty well shown his range and max-upside: He can come in mid-game and spark an offense as a back-up, in case of injury or change-of-pace ("wildcat" or whatever)--but just lacks consistency as a full time starter, especially in the kind of complex precision offense Coach wants to run here.
There's also the idea of reversing the usual "UF-to-somewhere-else" flow, bringing in some "disgraced" or somehow-failed former-5-star after a stint in Siberia (in other words, humbling time in one of the penitent/hang-on/rehab programs like Blinn College, Arkansas State, etc.--there are a few others around the fringes of college football)--sure, Cam was the standout "special case", but there've been a number of less spectacular, AND less controversial ones that have been reasonably successful, in their own ways, for both the subsequent program AND for the young man's resusitated career.
All in all, the "best" choice, of the above 3 ("new guys", "reclaimed-from-heap", or "stick with Treon til WG gets back"), seems simply to carry on with first (we're doing it anyway, I'm sure), look into 2nd, and meanwhile assume the last unless/until you have something really promising from among the other two longshot hopes IN HAND--and STILL hold onto and keep working with Treon. I just don't know how "coachable" he really is. You'd have liked to see more growth by now.

Oh, and aside from all that, THANKYOU, E-: That detailed analysis and overview is superb, covers everything and therefore brings us all up to speed and on the same page moving forward. ANY discussion of what's ahead for our program, including my own here above, is made easier, hey, POSSIBLE, because of that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reality is that we're not a very good team right now, but still a way better record than I would have thought at the beginning of the year. Remember the "Fun and Gun"? What we have this year is "Baling Wire and Duct Tape".
I still believe Coach Mac will get us to a good offense....it just may take a couple of years.
So much frustration and "angst" flowin' thru all of us at the end of the game yesrerday, didn't get a chance to really untangle and read everyone's heartfelt thoughts on what we'd just witnessed/gone thru--but I DID manage to somehow absorb most of it, even QUOTED you at one point, not able to remember who or exactly where said it ("baling wire and duct tape" lol). Anyway, finally getting a chance to do so now--and wanted to explicitly note that you have concisely characterized where we're at, where we're headed, and (given the overall situation and nature of our widespread thinness EVERYWHERE, basically) how long it'll likely take to get there. But we will, I think: This ISN'T a stubborn, inflexible, "my way or the highway", 50s-era hamburger win-with-fieldgoals-and-defense, Muschamp-led monstrosity. Mac will have us scoring in bunches AND stopping 'em, eventually. He may be the one Coach who, though he gets there a different way, can build, ready and field a team that can match Saban's for toughness, efficiency and longterm success.

Escambia94

One update: QB Feleipe Franks might be back in play for the Gators. Florida needs to impress him during his unofficial visit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema