• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Will muschamp

GoGators01

Gator Fan
a good o coordinator will adjust to the players he has. when colt mccoy was at texas they used him to run read options and speed options, id imagine if driskel comes theyll use his strengths as well

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As a Gator fan living in Austin today has been like winning the BCS. I absolutely love seeing all the UT fans squirm. Also, I think Muschamp is a great hire. Recruiting is a big plus with this guy and Applewhite will be a good fit too I think.

I've voiced my concerns already, but I guess I haven't talked as much about how tickled I am at the local 'Horns' bewildered numbness at this turn of events. It IS pretty sweet: on a personal level, the same folks who had been calling, texting and coming up to me to gloat, snicker and/or offer condescending condolences at Meyer's "latest retirement", are now strangely silent or desperately trying to rationalize away its importance.
Hell, if Muschamp, Applewhite et al are half as valuable as these people are doing their DAMNEDEST to deny, our future is guaranteed and everyone else's fate is SEALED. They;re all still reeling and trying to get a handle on it all themselves.
For a change, I may actually listen to and enjoy the Austin radio-fodder while driving around tomorrow. Normally, between Colin Cowherd and the local loud-mouthed idiots, that's almost impossible for me without getting angry and punching it off, know what I mean?
If you are FROM Austin I'm sure you're used to it, but Escambia'94 (a Floridian who's down in San Antonio and basically stationed in Texas) and I (from Fla. originally, moved here back in the 90's after living all over planet) commiserate about this all the time--we LOVE to see the TEXAS teams get beat: screws with Texans' "everything's bigger and better here"-ethos. (By your user name I take it you may be an Austin native who went to UF--in which case, bottom line: you're a Gator, and a brother, so you'll understand we're kidding if we find out you're a Cowboy/Ranger and/or Texan/Astro fan and ride you a bit from time to time, OK?)

ATXHorns79

Gator Fan
You guys can have Muschamp. He's got great potential and tremendous upside, but unproven. He could certainly be the next Spurrier, Meyer, or Brown...but only time will tell. He brings the excitement that's for sure...I LOVED watching him coach on the sidelines in Austin. I don't think our defense was completely his fault this year. Our offense gave our defense nothing to work with and zero hope. Our whole team fell apart this year including coaching staff. Muschamp is solid. I hope he does well for you guys. Would love to meet up with the Gators in a bowl game or non-conf game sometime!!!! Texas will be just fine...i mean We're TEXAS!!! Haha! If you're the "HCIW" at Texas and the UF job opens up...you take it. If you're "HCIW" at UF and the Texas job opens up...you take it. Cheers to both programs for being the absolute cream of the crop in just about every way imagineable in college football. Good luck with Coach Boom!
HOOK 'EM!!!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
You guys can have Muschamp. He's got great potential and tremendous upside, but unproven. He could certainly be the next Spurrier, Meyer, or Brown...but only time will tell. He brings the excitement that's for sure...I LOVED watching him coach on the sidelines in Austin. I don't think our defense was completely his fault this year. Our offense gave our defense nothing to work with and zero hope. Our whole team fell apart this year including coaching staff. Muschamp is solid. I hope he does well for you guys. Would love to meet up with the Gators in a bowl game or non-conf game sometime!!!! Texas will be just fine...i mean We're TEXAS!!! Haha! If you're the "HCIW" at Texas and the UF job opens up...you take it. If you're "HCIW" at UF and the Texas job opens up...you take it. Cheers to both programs for being the absolute cream of the crop in just about every way imagineable in college football. Good luck with Coach Boom!
HOOK 'EM!!!

Right now we are less concerned with how much MusCHOMP has been tested and are more excited that he brings fire to our program. I can remember when Spurrier was pacing the sidelines and tossing his visor around. I even remember Zook getting fired up. Meyer before 2010 was in people's faces and yelling, then we got to 2010 and NOTHING. Nothing until UGA and Vanderbilt when Meyer drew up a new triple-option/triple-threat gimmick that works against tier 2 teams. MusCHOMP brings back some fire and intensity, and I am glad to have him.

I hope the best for the Longhorns. I can offer you an offensive coordinator as a peace offering to replace Greg Davis. He's a great recruiter and has a nice personality. We call him The Dazzler.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Applewhite as OC isn't official. I'm not believing any reports until they are officially released by Foley. Most outlets are leaning towards Applewhite but there is buzz that Muschamp is going after a bigger name. Same situation with Kirby Smart. But the reports seem a little more confident that he will make the lateral move. I can't wait to see how our defense will look with Muschamp AND Smart on the same staff. BTW, Muschamp told Louchiez Purifoy (CB recruit) that he will be personally coaching the defensive backs. We could have a pretty nasty defense next season. Something to rival the 2006 squad.

ATXHorns79

Gator Fan
Ha..."musCHOMP." Clever...I like it. Didn't take long to incorporate him into some type of gator tradition...lol! I'll always call him Coach Boom...cuz he was lights out on the sidelines these past 3 years that I was able to watch him. I can't think of another coach who gets the fans excited by just watching him....coach. I mean he didn't even play and people would watch to see how rowdy he would get to fire up the Texas defense. Man you guys just got instant added excitement with the Gators. He needs experience, but so has everyone else who has ever taken their first head coaching gig

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Sounds like he was schooled by the Ol' Head Ball Coach, himself!

82892883_display_image.jpg

Escambia94

Is anyone else getting worried that we are two weeks away from the spring semester at UF and we don't have our coaches lined up? Recruits who graduated earlier this month will not enroll early without knowing who the coaches will be. This would be the downside to MusCHOMP not being a head coach--he did not come here dragging an entire coaching staff with him, as Spurrier and Meyer did before. We may have no choice but to keep many of the same coaches or resorting to nobodies. MusCHOMP needs to call up some buddies and shake some cash from Foley to pay them to leave those other teams. Soon.

Escambia94

I know MusCHOMP is trying to stabilize the incoming recruiting class, but I hope he also visits a couple coaches on the road, maybe PMs some coaching buddies on Facebook and has something to announce after the Outback Bowl. Right after the bowl game is when some recruits will start class. The others will not arrive until the summer, but some will not make up their mind without knowing the coaches. Signing day is in February regardless. My guess is that we can hope most of the December high school grads are so committed to MusCHOMP that they will not change their minds. We still may lose an offensive recruit between now and signing day, especially if we wait too long.

Most worthy college coaches are out of the question unless they are good buddies with MusCHOMP. There are plenty of NFL OCs who could jump, but who is interested?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Like everyone else, I'm figuring (hoping?) we can assume that the guys he has in mind are to be drawn from the ranks of those who are currently coaching in bowl games. I imagine it presents a bit of a dilemma, on the one hand understanding the Assistant or Positional Coach's need to focus on the task at hand, balanced against he and his Gators' needs and concerns--especially and most immediately in regard to recruiting.
Our new Head Coach strikes me as a detail oriented, hands-on sort of guy to go with that high-energy, non-stop nobody-out-works-us approach, so I'm assuming he's ON this, quietly but furiously networking backchannel on lining things up, putting his "crew" together...because you're right, he will HAVE to "hit the road running" by the end of the Bowl season. That old football saying applies again here as well:
"If you're standing still, you're getting beat."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I like the idea of Josh McDaniels taking over our offense.

Two questions:
1) Is there any previous relationship or connection between he and Muschamp?
2) What about his Bronco contract--is it one of those "back-end-loaded" deals where he's guaranteed a couple of years of NFL Head Coach-money if let go, PROVIDED he doesn't take another job?

The Zooker

VIP Member
No connection to Muschamp. But he's connected to Belichick who is connected to the UF program. And I'm sure Tebow would allow himself to be a reference on his resume. I just think he's a candidate because Muschamp said he would possibly look to the NFL for an offensive coordinator and McDaniels is looking for a job.

Escambia94

The next question would be whether McDaniels will want to go from $2M HC salary to $900K college OC salary. An NFL OC would be easier to snag, but a former HC? It could work as long as McDaniel realizes he pretty much sucked as HC and Director of Operations for the Broncos, but he was good at the Xs and Os of being OC.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There's STILL that $-question I posed above...who walks away from a year or two of "free money" for a 1/2 pay-cut AND a demotion, to boot?

(This isn't a trick-question...I mean, it HAS happened, and the answer here COULD be, "Josh McDaniels"...just figure it's unlikely)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema