• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

where do I start

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well a shit year , a offense that looked like straight garbage , recruits decommitting, Weis to Kansas, second straight year a loss to fsu, urban slaps us in the face, brissett and driskell neither look ready to lead us back. SOOOOOOOOO come one Gators makes us fans have something to brag about and destroy ol urbies worthless nuts in the gator bowl, i so hope the fans give him hell! Honestly I dont think I ever felt this bad about our future even when zooker was there. GO GATORS!

The Eraser

Gator Fan
We def gotta step up against them buckeyes and urban, show em wuts up! Hopefully getting a new OC in place will give us a boost back up for next season!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well a shit year , a offense that looked like straight garbage , recruits decommitting, Weis to Kansas, second straight year a loss to fsu, urban slaps us in the face, brissett and driskell neither look ready to lead us back. SOOOOOOOOO come one Gators makes us fans have something to brag about and destroy ol urbies worthless nuts in the gator bowl, i so hope the fans give him hell! Honestly I dont think I ever felt this bad about our future even when zooker was there. GO GATORS!
We DO need something good to happen, and I'd take the WIN against the "F*ckUrbs", at least for the moment--but a good young OC and a "save" to this once-promising recruiting-class would REALLY nail it for us now...
Think about it this way: aside from the (albeit HUGE) bummer-timing of Weis' departure, on the heels of everything else, even by your own list above, the third one, "Weis leaving", solves some of the rest--he was looking less and less like "the answer" and more and more like a "mistake" as the season went on...as I've said elsewhere, long term this is hardly a tragedy, maybe even a WIN. However, in the meantime, SHORT term, it all really DOES suck. I'm just afraid to ask, "What NEXT?"
I forget if I already posted this or not, but my first thought when I heard the news about Weis was this dumb old joke, not-so-funny now:
The Optimistic Captain comes up on deck and announces to the crew,
"Well, looks like we got that RAT problem beaten..."

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I have nothing to hang any faith on these lifeless Gators beating any FBS team. I have been proven wrong all year. I declare 2011 to be a tax write-off in terms of football seasons. I will watch the stinking Gator Bowl, drink a lot of booze, and hope that we look like a varsity team by the time we square off against Bowling Green next September.

Escambia94

Should coach Boom go for a OC with a pro-style offense or different like the spread.

Coach Boom has declared that we will go with pro-style no matter what. His idea is that he wants to entice players to come to UF to prepare for the NFL. (Meanwhile, we may see more spread in the NFL...hmmmm...)

robdog

Gator Fan
Let it out people. Misery loves company and we are all miserable when we think about the past year of Gator football. Weis a pretty big loss, but we are going to bounce back. The real question is, how long is it going to take...

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I have nothing to hang any faith on these lifeless Gators beating any FBS team. I have been proven wrong all year. I declare 2011 to be a tax write-off in terms of football seasons. I will watch the stinking Gator Bowl, drink a lot of booze, and hope that we look like a varsity team by the time we square off against Bowling Green next September.

They play show up against TOSU. Man I wish Buddy Ryan was the DC for the Gators. Take a guess why.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I guess this accurate slice-of-reality should sink me into a deeper funk--but instead it made me laugh. " Thanks, I needed that..." is I think the proper response.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let it out people. Misery loves company and we are all miserable when we think about the past year of Gator football. Weis a pretty big loss, but we are going to bounce back. The real question is, how long is it going to take...
Yep--that IS "the real question"...any hope that 2012 would be anymore than at BEST a "beginning", "first steps on the road back", at this point has pretty well evaporated for me, speaking frankly and realistically. IF we can somehow still salvage a pretty decent recruiting class, IF we can get an imaginative and charismatic OC who can recruit AND coach up an innovative version of the sort of "Power-Pro"-offense that Muschamp has envisioned and spoken of from the moment he arrived in Gainesville, IF one of our young QBs begins to show rapid growth and real leadership (or we can bring in a juco to bridge the year or more it will REALLY take for either one of them to MAYBE develop, or we recruit another one who DEFINITELY does), and IF, with all of the above, we DO end up with a big, fast game-changing RB to make that offense GO, so that it can DO something when our soon-to-be formidable defense DOES turn the ball back over to them, then PERHAPS we can do a little more than "show signs of what we EVENTUALLY will be". Either way, though, I think we'll have to be all the more patient with our Head Coach: I don't know if he'll be given the benefit of the doubt, but with the way he has been repeatedly blind-sided and betrayed, right along with all of us, sure makes him deserving and eligible for that patience now, in my view. There'll be calls for his head after next season for anything less than a BCS-bowl bid; since that unlikely goal is reachable only with aid of forces beyond ANYONE'S control, I'm for not even visiting that discussion until after 2013.

Escambia94

I went through my old posts here. Here is my summary:

2010 - JB4 will emerge from TT's shadow, Janoris will be a shutdown, Rainey and Demps will explode. Instead, JB4 struggled, Rainey was stupid, Demps was quiet. We barely squeaked by Penn State in the bowl game.

2011 - Muschamp and Weis will resurrect the program. They will hide our capabilities early then explode on Alabama and we will survive The Gauntlet. That did not happen. Even without JB4 being hurt, we were awful in all phases of the game. I have no idea his that defense was ranked in the top 10. For the first time in 30 years I did not have fun watching college football.

2012 - Muschamp will bring in some offensive coordinator that will have sophomores and freshmen again that are built for pro style, and some athletes that may or may not adapt. We have no idea what we have in Brissett and Driskel. Both seem all Gator and and that is good enough for me. Still, we have no receivers. Debose, Hammond were quiet. Reed and Burton were injured or inconsistent. We cannot name any other star players.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

2010 - JB4 will emerge from TT's shadow, Janoris will be a shutdown, Rainey and Demps will explode. Instead, JB4 struggled, Rainey was stupid, Demps was quiet. We barely squeaked by Penn State in the bowl game.

2011 - Muschamp and Weis will resurrect the program. They will hide our capabilities early then explode on Alabama and we will survive The Gauntlet. That did not happen. Even without JB4 being hurt, we were awful in all phases of the game. I have no idea his that defense was ranked in the top 10. For the first time in 30 years I did not have fun watching college football.

2012 - Muschamp will bring in some offensive coordinator that will have sophomores and freshmen again that are built for pro style, and some athletes that may or may not adapt. We have no idea what we have in Brissett and Driskel. Both seem all Gator and and that is good enough for me. Still, we have no receivers. Debose, Hammond were quiet. Reed and Burton were injured or inconsistent. We cannot name any other star players.
You're braver than I, Gator...I KNOW how wrong most of MY old posts concerning this season were; I remember them in general outline, if not in detail, all too well--and though I didn't expect miracles, I sure saw this year as a constructive period of "reloading", and preparing for our resurgence NEXT year. The actual projections seem now from a distant, "more innocent" time. I don't have to recount for anyone here all the unforeseen circumstances, injuries, events and betrayals that have become like a series of combination punches to the body and head, but by now I think we can ALL be forgiven for "getting it wrong".
Hell, I'll be happy if we're only ONE year behind where I thought we were at this point LAST year, ya know? If Muschamp can get us into position to begin to at least COMPETE for SEC-mastery and the BCS-games by the 2013 season, he'll have done a remarkable job. I wonder if even THAT will satisfy the already mounting hysteria and knee-jerk blame-games coming from certain quarters (mainly on the public blogs) of Gator Nation.
Should coach Boom go for a OC with a pro-style offense or different like the spread.
Well, he HAS been clear and consistent in his stated aims in this regard: when he talks about a "pro-style offense", he is talking about one that has "power in the middle". Like his defense, he envisions a tough front line and at least ONE exceptional RB who is big and fast and can both slip tackles and get around the corner, AND go through the narrowest of holes-in-the-middle, breaking tackles and getting extra yards on his own.
Though I WAS a little leery of the sudden change from the Spread (and, to be fair, a bit sad to see it, and it's potential to role up bunches of points when it IS rolling, abandoned at UF), now that they have bitten-the-bullet and begun the shift over to the necessary personnel, I am excited and hopeful at the eventual results. It sure would be a satisfying relief (and CHANGE!) to see us able to wear teams down, move the ball in the redzone, control the clock and still have an efficient passing game when we CHOOSE to throw the ball. As counterpoint to an awesome, aggressively relentless defense, when both are working properly and at their best, we could be a formidable opponent to ANYONE. It's just a matter of getting there--and after this last year or so, we dare not assume or count on ANYTHING.

Escambia94

We have some related posts across various threads, but the common theme should be that no matter who Will Muschamp picks to be the next OC, he wants that guy to have pro experience as an OC, and that guy will run a pro-style offense. What we do not know is if he will bend on some of his requirements.

• Mike Shula. He does have SEC HC experience with Alabama, NFL OC experience with Tampa Bay, and NFL QB coach experience with Jacksonville and Carolina.
  • Brian White. He is currently on staff, but he lacks NFL coaching experience. He has been an OC in the Big Ten, but that has not been since 2007.
  • Major Applewhite. Applewhite is a friend of Muschamp, but lacks NFL coaching experience. He has OC experience at Alabama, and Texas.
  • Jedd Fisch graduated from Florida and worked under Spurrier as a GA. He has limited NFL coaching experience, and probably knows Aubrey Hill pretty well from their days as assistants together at Miami (FL).
  • Kerwin Bell. He has a good relationship with Kerwin Bell, but Kerwin lacks pro experience. He does run a pro-style offense with some spread built in. He is good, but his accolades are based on an FCS schedule.
There are a lot of lists out there where people throw out their favorites for the next OC at UF. In my opinion, Will Muschamp is probably looking at the guys on this list--not because I said so, but because this is the common theme amongst everyone's list with the nonsensical names thrown out. Another variable could be the Bull Gators. They will stand behind Kerwin Bell over anyone else. Personally, if we want an OC on par with Charlie Weis, only Mike Shula comes close. If Will Muschamp wants to choose another Will Muschamp, then Major Applewhite, Jedd Fisch, and Brian White are all in contention. There could be others that make sense, but these guys meet the most requirements set forth by Muschamp or have the most ties to UF.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We have some related posts across various threads, but the common theme should be that no matter who Will Muschamp picks to be the next OC, he wants that guy to have pro experience as an OC, and that guy will run a pro-style offense. What we do not know is if he will bend on some of his requirements.

• Mike Shula. He does have SEC HC experience with Alabama, NFL OC experience with Tampa Bay, and NFL QB coach experience with Jacksonville and Carolina.
  • Brian White. He is currently on staff, but he lacks NFL coaching experience. He has been an OC in the Big Ten, but that has not been since 2007.
  • Major Applewhite. Applewhite is a friend of Muschamp, but lacks NFL coaching experience. He has OC experience at Alabama, and Texas.
  • Jedd Fisch graduated from Florida and worked under Spurrier as a GA. He has limited NFL coaching experience, and probably knows Aubrey Hill pretty well from their days as assistants together at Miami (FL).
  • Kerwin Bell. He has a good relationship with Kerwin Bell, but Kerwin lacks pro experience. He does run a pro-style offense with some spread built in. He is good, but his accolades are based on an FCS schedule.
There are a lot of lists out there where people throw out their favorites for the next OC at UF. In my opinion, Will Muschamp is probably looking at the guys on this list--not because I said so, but because this is the common theme amongst everyone's list with the nonsensical names thrown out. Another variable could be the Bull Gators. They will stand behind Kerwin Bell over anyone else. Personally, if we want an OC on par with Charlie Weis, only Mike Shula comes close. If Will Muschamp wants to choose another Will Muschamp, then Major Applewhite, Jedd Fisch, and Brian White are all in contention. There could be others that make sense, but these guys meet the most requirements set forth by Muschamp or have the most ties to UF.
Good overview, we needed it all laid out there in one place.
Now, what does it all MEAN? I can think of one (there are probably a number of them) that isn't here but is being whispered about as coming now OR after another coach is given a year to work miracles or then is bumped aside, and that is Petersen...but that kind of diabolical planning-for-failure-and-uncertainty gets way too covert/conspiratorial for me. How about we try to GET IT RIGHT this time, OK guys? (I'm addressing Muschamp, his staff, and Foley opening the University's checkbook as necessary to get this done).
I was against Bell for the "experience"/seasoning/level-of-competition factors last time around, and not that much has changed in a year--but somehow, with everything that's happened and what DIDN'T work with the "big name, non-Gator" hire, I am more amenable now. I hadn't even THOUGHT of Applewhite, despite the Muschamp/Texas-connection, and he has some of the qualifications missing yet from Bell's resume--but he ISN'T a Gator like Bell is, but rather a TEXAS guy through-and-through. Even if he were successful, ESPECIALLY if he were successful here, he'd be gone at Mack Brown's first crooking-of-forefinger, whereas Kerwin, when he DOES get to G-ville, will be there for the rest of his career, if that is possible.
I can't see how Fisch can come in superceding White OR Hill without it causing unhappiness and eventual strife on our staff. That leaves Shula, the "biggest name" clearly and currently available, and the one that appears to cover most of the supposed conditions AND to have the most traction and momentum now. Still, as I commented on another thread, this strikes me as Muschamp trying to "do Weis" again, only with a 4th-rate version...OK, MAYBE 2nd-rate, to be generous and "hopeful". Hear that? It's the sound of our 2012 offense going "Thud", failing once again in the redzone for a record 47th time in one season.

Leakfan12

VIP Member

WOW and that's saying something especially since the Gators from 1986 to 1989 where they had seasons of 6-6 and 7-5 though NCAA sanctions had something to do with that. Even with Emmitt, the Gators couldn't beat Georgia or FSU. Good news, the East is winnable because most of the dangerous teams in the SEC play in the West of the conference.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
WOW and that's saying something especially since the Gators from 1986 to 1989 where they had seasons of 6-6 and 7-5 though NCAA sanctions had something to do with that. Even with Emmitt, the Gators couldn't beat Georgia or FSU. Good news, the East is winnable because most of the dangerous teams in the SEC play in the West of the conference.
Thing is, Lf, that imbalance-"on-the-left-side" of the Conference will not hold that much longer...these things come in cycles, WILL swing back the other way once more, and that will mean we'll be facing competitive teams in the East just as WE (hopefully) begin to come around again...
Well, no use worrying about THAT--in fact, we'd take it GLADLY if it meant WE were truly "on our way back", right?
Back in the 80s it took sanctions and probation to knock us back--and that's when SS came "riding to the rescue".
THIS time all it took was Urban Meyer: so strange, that the same man who presided over some of our highest highs should also contribute so much to our downfall--first through distracted inattention, then through under-handed betrayal.
I still have confidence that Coach Muschamp can and will bring us all-the-way-back, if given the time and patience that the circumstances now more than ever require--but a good hire at OC is now more crucial than EVER: I doubt he'll get more than a couple of years to have us at least in the mix for SEC-dominance again, and more, and though his "D" is on schedule, I don't see our offense even "holding its own" without a strong hand and imagination at the top, no matter HOW well we recruit. What do you think?

Escambia94

Check my screen name-- Escambia94. Emmitt Smith went to Escambia High School. All of Pensacola would huddle around the radio to listen to the Gator games. That was fun. Before Emmitt we had the Great Wall of Florida and two of our best seasons. That was fun. The Peace Corps beating USC and announcing Florida as a national power was fun. The best turnaround from 0-10-1 to 8-4 and a Tangerine Bowl victory over Maryland was fun. That **** in 2011 was not fun.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Check my screen name-- Escambia94. Emmitt Smith went to Escambia High School. All of Pensacola would huddle around the radio to listen to the Gator games. That was fun. Before Emmitt we had the Great Wall of Florida and two of our best seasons. That was fun. The Peace Corps beating USC and announcing Florida as a national power was fun. The best turnaround from 0-10-1 to 8-4 and a Tangerine Bowl victory over Maryland was fun. That **** in 2011 was not fun.
You make a really good point, E-...and the whole crazy ride-with-Tebow, making even the NFL "fun" again, really makes it hit home: 2o11 wasn't FUN--in fact, it hasn't been "fun" following our team and program since '08: let's face it, even that 11-and-1 year in '09 was a frustrating underachievement that began our slide (all the signs, a parade of "talented head cases", distracted Head Coach depending on the inept decisions of The Nameless One, and so on were already on display), and by the time they were gone, all we were left with was a team that, once you discounted all the undisciplined and unmotivated prima donnas, and the undersized-but-fast guys inevitably wore down, we were left with a choice between arrogant losers and a whole lot of really young and inexperienced underclassmen--and an OC who hardly lived up to his reputation of being either a Quarterback Mentor OR an offensive innovator.
But when it comes right down to "the bottom line problem", you hit the nail on the head: It just was not FUN to watch, to see, to follow. Some will say, well, WINNING is fun--and it IS more "fun" than losing, obviously...but that 11-and-1 '09 season should be a tip off to what needs to change first. One way or another, along with getting in all the nuts'n'bolts pieces that will allow us to build a winner in the mid-to-long-term, our people need to accomplish something else, something just as important, and get it done ASAP: they need to find a way to make this FUN again--for the players AND the fans! We don't care how they go about it--they can do it by bringing in a young and excitingly innovative OC, or they can go out and get a CRAZY-GOOD PLAYMAKER or two for that moribund offense--heck, they oughtta TRY to do BOTH-- but that should be an immediate, explicit goal: to make this team FUN again, to play and to watch!
The two are related, too, no doubt about it: make it fun for the players, and that will translate on the field and eventually on the scoreboard, but IMMEDIATELY for the fans.

Escambia94

By "fun", I do not necessarily mean "winning " either. We went 12-1 in '09, but that was not fun to watch. I flew my family in to watch us squeak by the Homecoming game against Arkansas, and it was tough to watch. Now, it did not look as bad in person as it did on TV. The Sugar Bowl blowout of Cincinnati was fun, not because we won, but due to the fun plays. I did not realize at the time that the Sugar Bowl was a harbinger of things to come in 2010-- bad snaps, fumbles, dropped passes, lack of downhill running, and spotty defense. We overcame that in the Sugar Bowl with 18 soon to be NFL players. In 2010 and 2011 we had few NFL caliber, or All SEC caliber players, if any. It was not fun at all, even when we won.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema