• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 1 Scores and Highlights

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Tennessee rolls over Ball State, 59-10. The Volunteers outgained the Cardinals 569 yards to 343 yards using a run-based attack of 35 passing attempts and 51 rushing attempts and averaging 10.0 yards per pass and 4.3 yards per rush.

Escambia94

Missouri sleepwalks through Louisiana Tech, 52-24. The Tigers outgained the 558-347. Former Gator Ty’Ron Hopper was the leading tackler and picked up one of three interceptions for Missouri. Mizzou attempted 30 passes (7.4 yards per attempt) and 50 rushes (6.4 yards per attempt).

Escambia94

Commodores invade Hawaii and walk away with 63-10 victory. Vanderbilt outgained the Rainbow Warriors 601 to 358 yards by keeping the ball on the ground. Vandy only gained 197 yards (28 attempts, 7.0 yards per) in the air compared to 404 yards (44 attempts, 9.4 yards per) on the ground. The Dores also scored on two fumble returns. This was the first Vanderbilt victory since last October and the third such victory for head coach Clark Lea.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As I commented elsewhere, my main takeaway from these opening ("Week 0") games is the contrast (above all in team speed) between even mid-pack (and even lower) SEC teams and the rest of college football--and it seems this is only further illustrated in onfield play and lopsided scores when we and they actually play each other.
I don't know if it will be more-of-the-same in The Swamp tomorrow night, but here's hoping!

Escambia94

The Arizona Sun Devils scorched the Northern Arizona {whatever the **** they are} 40-3. Former Gator Emory Jones led the team in passing yards (150), rushing TDs (2, tie), fumbles (1), fumbles lost (1), and time spent staring at the receivers (I think he is going for a world record). Congratulations, Emory, on defeating the…{Googles Northern Arizona…} … Lumberjacks! Lumberjacks? There are ****ing trees in Arizona?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
LOL
So Emory lands on his feet, finds himself in a place where his "gray-area skills" are apparently less apt to lose him (and THEM) games. Bit of a relative "wilderness", but there it is. Another training ground for one more potential ex-Gator back-up pro-QB?
Maybe Mullen follows a similar general plan and goes somewhere he's not EXPECTED to relentlessly recruit well...
If no pro-team will have him, perhaps a place like Vanderbilt might fit the bill? (After what WE paid him, he could afford the likely pay cut.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I saw on ESPN.com that Jones had an OK game.
"OK", in that he led his team to the win...But as E-- somewhat drolly implies, somewhat "underwhelming" a performance...more a "relative" level of "improved performance", mostly in terms of outcome DESPITE a certain amount of "more of the SAME" ol' Emory.
But HEY: The BIG NEWS is that CFB Committee coming out with the decision that a "12 team Playoff Format" is supposedly on its way by 2026!
I'll have more to say about this--I'm afraid that high a number of spots cheapens the importance of the regular season, previously always a unique strength of college football, and that, plus some early specifics coming out, definitely appear to intentionally short change the SEC!
However, it was just announced, late Friday during these weird Friday night Week 1 games...
I think I'll wait until Saturday, when I've at least slept on it.
Then I'll either start a whole new thread or simply further comment on it all in reaction to whatever you or E-- has by then had to say about it.

Escambia94

I want Emory Jones to succeed, I really do. For him to put up those kind of numbers against a high school level, directional football team is embarrassing. If he puts up average numbers against a crap opponent, then what are we to expect when ASU plays an actual college football team?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I want Emory Jones to succeed, I really do. For him to put up those kind of numbers against a high school level, directional football team is embarrassing. If he puts up average numbers against a crap opponent, then what are we to expect when ASU plays an actual college football team?
Exactly.
I mean, at least so far, it appears Emory chose to land somewhere his skills were "adequate"...
And if all he can show at ASU, and against "Directional U"-level teams, to boot--well, for his sake let's hope he expects more from HIMSELF, and that he quickly comes to show a whole lot more.

Escambia94

#6 Texas A&M drowns Sam Houston 55-0 in a rain delayed game.

Last edited:

Escambia94

Former Gator Mahmoud Diabate only made one tackle in the 26-29 Utah loss. Only Gators get out alive!

Escambia94

#19 Arkansas powers past #23 Cincinnati 31-24. Jefferson treated SEC fans to a Tebow jump pass as part of his highlight reel.

Escambia94

South Carolina defeats Georgia 35-14. Oh. That should read “Georgia State”.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
Keep it going, E'--.
I much prefer YOUR dry, subtly smirking "Game Week Overviews" to the self-congratulatory blather served up on the various pre- and post-game "Sports Outlets".
NO ONE could miss the way Pac-? schools got uniformly BURIED here in Week 1.
Not as obvious, but to ME at least pretty clear and consistent was the way most of the rest lacked a high gear taken for granted among most of the SEC programs. The top of OUR league's members are just that little bit BETTER; the rest are not quite as dominant in this regard. Not yet, anyway--but to a certain degree almost every ONE of them is already faster than the ranked non-SEC programs, and on track to compete with the Tide and Bulldogs as time goes on--ourselves presumably included, of course.
No telling yet how far we'll develop in the course of THIS season, but more than ever I can see us improving by leaps and bounds in the relative short term: I think we are talking about dramatic progress in the course of just a season or two from here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema