• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Two QB System in 2008?

Gatorboy

Gator Fan
I've heard rumors aboout Urban Meyer possibly running a two qb system next year. Can anyone confirm that this is true.

The rumor is that Cam will do the Tebow type plays at the goal line. I am sure Tebow still wants to pound it in for those situations, so it will be interesting to see how he is used.

sbq80

VIP Member
How is that a good idea?
Tebow & Leak was one thing, but to pull one of the toughest Gators, not to mention the Heisman trophy winner, off the field?
Whatever! Its his team not mine.

I guess it is to save his body from the beatings and defenders zeroing in on him. Cam might be able to pull off some surprise plays like Tebow did last year. Whatever gets a win is OK in my book if it works.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
It worked for the Gators in 2006 and for Lame State University last year. By the way, who will be the LSU QB?

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I see Tebow being used as the primary QB and the QB for goal line situations.

Within 5 yards of the goal line and a 4 or 5 WR set, a Tebow run offense is theoretically impossible to stop. However, with a dedicated RB, Tebow at the goal line would probably be MORE effective as Tebow could run it up the middle for 2-3 yards, the RB could run it, Tebow could pass it, etc.

I see Newton being like a Pat White who is more of an open field run threat than a ground and pound run threat.

If Tebow is in, he'll pass all over you or run it down your throat.
If Newton is in, he'll pass it effectively, or run it by you as you break your ankle. Either way, the defense will have to defend against the run and the pass.

I could be wrong, but it just goes to show you how scary and how much potential our offense should have next season.

ReelGatorDoc

Gator Fan
I am trying to picture a situation where I wouldn't want Tebow in.....

still trying to think of a situation:helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

GatorsDiva21

Hayley Loves her gators
The only reason I could see that happening is if urban doesn't want to take any chances of tim getting hurt, IMO this year, Tim's a marked man, not so much as how good he is, but all the publicity he gets. thats my thought anyways ;)

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I guess it is to save his body from the beatings and defenders zeroing in on him. Cam might be able to pull off some surprise plays like Tebow did last year. Whatever gets a win is OK in my book if it works.

Agreed; the two-QB system Coach Meyer wants to re-implement will take some of the pressure off Tim Tebow, give Cam Newton a little more playing time and also add another "weapon" to our offense just as it did back in 2006 with Tebow and Chris Leak. We want to avoid being one-dimensional, and this is one way of doing that.

We really didn't get to see too much of Newton last season due to injuries, but he has shown some potential as a power QB - he was impressive in the 4th quarter against FAU last year, and if he can stay healthy both he and Tebow give us a one-two punch at that position.

The two-QB system worked here in the past as well; SOS used both Doug Johnson and Noah Brindise in the late 90's once Danny Wuerffel graduated, and this worked to UF's advantage - those two helped us get our last Cap One Bowl win on 1/1/98 against Penn State. We won our last NC with a two-QB system, and with this in mind could be another reason Meyer wants to go back to using it - for the results.

preachinGator

VIP Member
I ditto O-Town.
And as one comrad said, It doesn't matter what we think, Coach makes the decisions. thats why he gets paid the big bucks.

I think Cam has to get his share of reps this year. I think a lot of people forget that he was the top dual-threat qb of his class. Talent like that can't go to waste

gatorsbites8

Gator Fan
Agreed; the two-QB system Coach Meyer wants to re-implement will take some of the pressure off Tim Tebow, give Cam Newton a little more playing time and also add another "weapon" to our offense just as it did back in 2006 with Tebow and Chris Leak. We want to avoid being one-dimensional, and this is one way of doing that.

well said!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Not sure how much I like the idea of a 2-QB system. Don't we have Moody to take the pressure and brute off Tebow now?

With Moody coming into the lineup and a new RB coach onboard we should see some improvement at this position, and that hould relieve Tebow of that burden.

From a strategic point the two-QB system can be used effectively. One advantage that it has is that it can confuse an opposing defense - two good examples: (1) our 1997 game against FSU in The Swamp; Steve Spurrier used the Johnson-Brindise rotation often in this game and the way I see it SOS pulled a rabbit out of a hat as we won that night, and (2) our NC win against Ohio State. Urban Meyer made the best use out of Leak and Tebow's particular skillsets, and one play that stands out in my memory is when Tim rolled out of the pocket to hit Bubba Caldwell with that one short TD pass and baffled the Buckeye defenders as they were likely expecting Tebow to rush up the middle.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
well i remember hearing how Cam rammed over Brandon Spikes in practice next year, so it would be good to see him take some pressure off Tebow and as said before we shouldn't waste Cam's talents and prepare him for life AT (after Tebow)

speaking of life AT, im curious to see if we will use Cam and Brantley like we did Leat and Tebow, but more of Cam the running QB and less of Brantley the passing QB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema