• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Two amazing runs

News Bot

News Bot
The SEC won its sixth straight national football title Monday night and I couldn’t help but think of the two amazing runs by the two most dominant teams of that six-year run.
Because with all due respect to LSU and Auburn, this run was fueled by Florida and Alabama.
Both of them had four-year runs where they went 48-6. Florida’s went from 2006 through 2009 while Alabama’s started in 2008 and has run through Monday night’s game.
During that time. each team has won two national titles. Florida has won two SECs to Alabama’s one and both teams went 3-1 in their bowl games.
Perhaps the most amazing thing is that the two teams lost but 12 games in eight seasons (with two of those losses coming against each other) in a conference that has established itself as far and away the best in the land. Actually, during those two stretches, the two teams lost only eight conference games that weren’t against each other.
We can argue about whose run was better but there is no question that the 2009 Florida seniors and the 2011 Alabama seniors experienced something pretty amazing.

Source: GatorSports.com - Dooley's Desk

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Alabama gets the edge for going 25-1 in those two season, while Florida went 24-2. Florida was better on offense in its championship years; Alabama was better on defense.

Alabama '11: Offense (31st, 36 PPG), Defense (1st, 8.8 PPG), SOS (2nd).
Alabama '09: Offense (42nd, 31.7 PPG), Defense (2nd, 11 PPG), SOS (1st).
Alabama average: Offense (33.85 PPG), Defense (9.9 PPG).

Florida '08: Offense (17th, 45.2 PPG), Defense (8th, 12.8 PPG), SOS (2nd).
Florida '06: Offense (31st, 28.8 PPG), Defense (6th, 13.5 PPG), SOS (2nd).
Florida average: Offense (37 PPG), Defense (13.15 PPG).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not sure if it's a warning, a promise, or just some "hopeful sour grapes" on my part, but instead of focussing on what conclusions are to be drawn regarding the past, I find myself considering what it might mean to the future:
'Bama beware--the fall can be lurking in the shadows close by, and it doesn't have to creep up on ya...things can multiply and the road get slippery in a hurry!
...And Gators take heart: Our "D" is already good and headed for GREAT, and we may NOT be that far from being able to field an offense at LEAST as efficient as the Tide's--that was NOT a particularly fearsome display of high-flying skill, or even unrelenting drive, on display last night--just enough hard running behind some good, hard work in the trenches, enough to control the clock and give a kicker a chance to build you a lead. I STILL think, with patience, health, and imagination (and a couple of good WRs--unlike Weis, I doubt that Pease will forget there IS such a position!) WE could do more than THAT with the talent we've already GOT.
Here's to our FUTURE! GO GATORS! EAT 'EM UP!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema