• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Top Offensive Coordinator Candidates for Billy Napier

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
Yes--THAT'S the "list" I too had forgotten about until running across as I was searching for the best place to respond to all the pertinent discussion regarding this very issue, now having returned to the "front page" of public concern.
Now, you may well be right about Rees being the only one there that Billy has been relatively recently in contact with professionally--but are there not others we just are not aware of that nonetheless Coach himself might be contemplating AND in background conversations with? Hope so...I mean, who says Rees is BILLY'S first choice? And has he any interest in leaving Saban and the Tide to start with? We don't likely have the lure of a comparatively large jump upwards in salary there...Not enough of a raise to make that the deciding factor, at any rate: There'd have to be some OTHER attraction.
And how much would this be the result of outside PRESSURE FROM ABOVE in the first place.
We are beginning to see a certain pride and stubborness in our Head Coach when it comes to some things, this apparently being one.
Much is being made finally of things like this, the plethora of "hired coaching hands in every nook and cranny but STILL no OC or Special Teams help!" No shortage anywhere ELSE on the sidelines or in the lockeroom (or the administrative offices, for that matter).
He had managed to quiet some of this by implying that it was something that, IF indeed NEEDED to be addressed, it would be done AFTER the season. But with it all coming fully forward once more with that disastrous sequence leading to our missing what would have been the winning field goal at the end of regulation, it isn't an "if it turns OUT to be necessary" situation anymore.
It ain't "theoretical" Coach: Here's hoping you've already been considering your options and doing the groundwork. It isn't the fans but likely the guys approving your contract who will be bringing the pressure if you do not act on your own before much longer.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Head coaches tend to be stubborn. Most coaching hires are based on knowing people. No surprise there.

Escambia94

The Internet seems to prefer the following for the next OC:
- Ryan Grubb, Washington, $2M
- Jeff Lebby, Oklahoma, $1.9M
- Jeff Scott
- Warren Ruggiero, Wake Forest, $738k
- Ben Arbuckle, Washington State

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F the internet...PERSONALLY, I don't WANT them choosing our next OC.

Escambia94

F the internet...PERSONALLY, I don't WANT them choosing our next OC.
Well, the Internet is loud and full of stupid people.

To reiterate my stupid idea: Let’s stop overhauling coaching staffs just because we fired a decent man who could not win a national championship. Throw $2M at Kerwin Bell not to be the head coach in 2024, but the OC in 2024 with a tentative coaching contract that kicks in if Napier gets fired in 2026. Think of it as a “get along shirt”. The destiny of Napier and Bell would be tied to Napier’s success. If Napier succeeds in 2026 then Bell can choose to renew the arrangement with Napier’s extension or find a head coaching job. Out of love for his alma mater he might opt to stay. That is one way to build continuity.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, the Internet is loud and full of stupid people.

To reiterate my stupid idea: Let’s stop overhauling coaching staffs just because we fired a decent man who could not win a national championship. Throw $2M at Kerwin Bell not to be the head coach in 2024, but the OC in 2024 with a tentative coaching contract that kicks in if Napier gets fired in 2026. Think of it as a “get along shirt”. The destiny of Napier and Bell would be tied to Napier’s success. If Napier succeeds in 2026 then Bell can choose to renew the arrangement with Napier’s extension or find a head coaching job. Out of love for his alma mater he might opt to stay. That is one way to build continuity.
Oh, I don't find it a "stupid idea" AT ALL...
I simply don't think the principals would eschew modern self-centered competition in order to rise above the "parsonal" for the sake of the "greater good".
I have addressed this in detail elsewhere:
I wish I were wrong--indeed, still secretly hope like HELL I am totally off target here even now, but it just strikes me as all too frank, honest, noble, reasonable and above all LOGICAL to see two such high-profile, even MORE highly COMPETITIVE individuals find that kind of thoughtful common ground in what amounts today to an otherwise suspicious, cutthroat "check-the-fine-print" professional milieu.
If they could somehow manage it in fellowship and shared "Gator goodwill" it might well be the final capstone, the crowning piece that opens the door to our eventual full-on return to the very TOP--and in not that many years after all!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I just wanted to clarify that this is not a knock against Billy Napier. He is a regular coach. A likable guy, but average head coach.
Well, yes...We are certainly beginning to see more and more of his "self-inflicted flaws and limitations"...As you yourself have said before now, "A great CEO, but not so strong a GAMEcoach..."
At best, he needs some pre- and IN-game help there...That's exactly where (at the very LEAST) the "hot new OC" comes into all this.
And yes, a proper full-on, creatively imaginative combination like he and Kerwin Bell could well be a "walk off gsme-winner"--IF it could somehow be arranged.
Hey--as I recall, in addition to SS and his fertile offensive mind, it was the early appearance and hiring of an up-til-then mostly unknown young Kyle Shanahan that first kick-started what came to be known as the "Florida Fun'n'Gun Offense" back in the 90s.
And when consistently hitting the high-30s and more still wasn't winning quite ENOUGH of his team's games, even Spurrier went out, found and hired Bob Stoops to build and run his defense for a couple of seasons before HE moved on to a head coaching job (and a historic run at Oklahoma) while SS was able to more or less successfully "take things from there" here st UF.
Even the "Greats" recognize needs, then go out and find some "Help".
So Billy should take a few notes--and not let "pride" stand in the way of "enlightened self-interest"!

Escambia94

Here is the list in condensed form. The following OC candidates have worked with Billy Napier.
Willy Korn
Brent Key
Jeff Scott
Tommy Rees

The following is the internet’s list of OCs with no connection to Napier:
Ryan Grubb
Jeff Lebby
Jeff Scott
Warren Ruggiero
Ben Arbuckle

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here is the list in condensed form. The following OC candidates have worked with Billy Napier.
Willy Korn
Brent Key
Jeff Scott
Tommy Rees

The following is the internet’s list of OCs with no connection to Napier:
Ryan Grubb
Jeff Lebby
Jeff Scott
Warren Ruggiero
Ben Arbuckle
Not that MY "take" is so knowledgeable or well-informed, but I must say that at least at this point, as I peruse the above lists I cannot say that I am particularly impressed or hopeful about ANY of 'em...
It's a damn shame, really:
The more I consider it, the more I recognize how beneficial (AND in all likelihood ultimately successful) naming Kerwin Bell as OC would be--ASAP.
However, it also seems less and less likely to HAPPEN, the more I think about it:
Is Billy gonna bring in a guy he doesn't have any prior relationship with, knowing full well that that young man is essentially there to one day REPLACE HIM?
Would Kerwin even TAKE the job, at ANY price, knowing full well that the better he DOES that job the LONGER he will likely have to wait to move up into what has to be his "ultimate DREAM job", HEAD COACH at the University of Florida?
Hence, my wistfully pessimistic overview...
Here is a means by which we could very likely restore balance, optimism and well-founded excitement back to Gator Football and hit the field running on a rejuvenated Gator Future before THIS otherwise less-than-encouraging season is even OVER--but human foibles will preclude it from happening--from even being properly, realistically considered by those involved.
I have a feeling Bell WILL be our Coach one day--but if so it probably will only come AFTER another who-knows-HOW-MANY-YEARS in mediocrity-land before it happens.

Escambia94

One thing that has hurt Florida since 2010 is that each head coach brings in a mostly new coaching staff and removes all semblance of continuity. Gator fans tend to forget that coaches like Charlie Strong held the locker room together during tough times. Strong has coached under Charley Pell, Galen Hall, Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, and Urban Meyer—including some transition periods. Billy Gonzalez is the closest analogy today, having coached under Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and Billy Napier. Otherwise, there has been very little continuity and locker room leadership during coaching transitions.

In my dream scenario, Kerwin Bell would work under Billy Napier as OC and head coach in waiting (HCIW) for $2M. Napier’s contract structure all but cements his role as head coach at Florida until 2026. If Napier gets fired in 2026, UF pays him $20M and draws up a new contract for Bell at $60M—which investors would gladly pay to bring in a Gator Great as head coach. If Napier starts winning then Bell can choose to stay as OC with a sizable raise or find a head coaching position. If Napier is fired there is great continuity through the coaching change.

Escambia94

Scratch Oklahoma OC Jeff Lebby, who has agreed to a five-year deal to become the next head coach at Mississippi State.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One thing that has hurt Florida since 2010 is that each head coach brings in a mostly new coaching staff and removes all semblance of continuity. Gator fans tend to forget that coaches like Charlie Strong held the locker room together during tough times. Strong has coached under Charley Pell, Galen Hall, Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, and Urban Meyer—including some transition periods. Billy Gonzalez is the closest analogy today, having coached under Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and Billy Napier. Otherwise, there has been very little continuity and locker room leadership during coaching transitions.

In my dream scenario, Kerwin Bell would work under Billy Napier as OC and head coach in waiting (HCIW) for $2M. Napier’s contract structure all but cements his role as head coach at Florida until 2026. If Napier gets fired in 2026, UF pays him $20M and draws up a new contract for Bell at $60M—which investors would gladly pay to bring in a Gator Great as head coach. If Napier starts winning then Bell can choose to stay as OC with a sizable raise or find a head coaching position. If Napier is fired there is great continuity through the coaching change.
I'm still a fan of this scenario...BUT:
I am ALSO still somewhat skeptical of our finding much in way of "continuity" anytime soon--for "all the same ol' reasons"!
That being the case, I suppose we are once more left with simply staying with the current "leaky boat" for the time being, and hoping we can bail fast enough to make it to some "safer harbor" we HOPE is waiting, one where our talent is up to what we are ALSO hoping will turn out to be a more-manageable level-of-competition.
Yes...a whole lot of "hoping" involved in THAT "scenario"--which doesn't say much for its likelihood of actually coming-to-PASS, does it?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94, @Leakfan12,
One more late-addition...something I came across this morning on a site among those I am generally NOT reading at the moment, but whose headline caught my eye and turned out to sum "it" (the whole season) all up so well that I felt you both would well-appreciate it...
It is an article by Benjamin Henderson on HAIL FLORIDA HAIL published one day ago entitled,
"Florida Football: Billy Napier needs more than just better talent in 2024".
As I say, this one provides such a straight and accurate examination-in-detail of what happened in the final game--indeed the whole SEASON--and does so in such a concise summation that I feel EVERY "thoughtful Gator" would benefit in seeing it so simply laid out.
It ain't pretty, but it's the TRUTH!
It is slso "short and sweet", so I ask you to find it and read it. Puts the whole last few months in proper perspective.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(One reason I appreciate y'all so much is that where I see LITTLE reason to bother getting bogged down reacting to (or arguing WITH) most of the commenters on that site, I would be very interested to read what you folks might have to say upon exposure to the same material.
However, my main intention was simply to make sure you saw and read it--for I KNOW you will at the very least recognize and appreciate its veracity.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Napier has talented players, but the most talented ones are not experienced and there is no depth. End of statement.
I'm simply tired of watching this regular procession of the same sort of events--game after game amounting to "just another Defeat-in-DETAIL"...Ye GODS, we are a train wreck!

Escambia94

I'm simply tired of watching this regular procession of the same sort of events--game after game amounting to "just another Defeat-in-DETAIL"...Ye GODS, we are a train wreck!
Look back at Dan Mullen’s recruiting. He got better recruits to sign with Florida, but many of them never made it to campus or fall camp due to academics, visa issues, or sexual assault. Many of the ones who made it to campus were developed by Mullen’s staff but did not want to play for Napier. 23 of Mullen’s players transferred out—an entire recruiting class. Napier only took in about 15 high school recruits and 5 transfers to replace 40+ athletes in 2022 (23 transfers + ~20 seniors and NFL Draft entrants). In 2023 another 15 of Mullen’s recruits transferred out and Napier added ~20 high school recruits and ~12 transfers. All that to say we can measure the mess that Mullen left in terms of veterans —the reason Napier’s teams started 20+ freshmen and redshirt freshmen each year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Look back at Dan Mullen’s recruiting. He got better recruits to sign with Florida, but many of them never made it to campus or fall camp due to academics, visa issues, or sexual assault. Many of the ones who made it to campus were developed by Mullen’s staff but did not want to play for Napier. 23 of Mullen’s players transferred out—an entire recruiting class. Napier only took in about 15 high school recruits and 5 transfers to replace 40+ athletes in 2022 (23 transfers + ~20 seniors and NFL Draft entrants). In 2023 another 15 of Mullen’s recruits transferred out and Napier added ~20 high school recruits and ~12 transfers. All that to say we can measure the mess that Mullen left in terms of veterans —the reason Napier’s teams started 20+ freshmen and redshirt freshmen each year.
OK--But the ASSUMPTION was that (as you yourself imply, E--) with the bulk of these guys that transfered out, it was either a matter of "never were gonna make it here", or "good riddance!" in the first place.
Is that not STILL the general impression as to Mullen's recruiting lack (even BEFORE he apparently lost interest in it entirely)?
Or are we now to begin questioning as to what Napier himself can do with ANY "talent" ON THE FIELD?
As things currently stand, I suppose all WE can do now is to see what he gets and what he does with it the next season or two that we ASSUME he has coming here REGARDLESS, right?
Again: WHAT A MESS!
We are stuck for now in a strange void...
We know very little and can do NOTHING:
Nothing but wait, watch and see--with the prospect of real improvement likely "out there" SO far that it may still be "just about to happen" JUST AS THE WOLVES BREAK THROUGH THE DOOR!
It is a lot to ask of even a patient fan base--and we are HARDLY that.
I dunno, me brothers.
Was this ever going to work ANYWHERE?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema