• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Stop running Tebow!

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Running Tebow just doesn't work like it did last year. Two plays in a row Tebow has run the ball and they were designed plays. The result? -2 yards. :mad0235:

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Urban is allowing these very bad play calls. What a pitiful excuse of play calling. I seen more variety in a pack of skittles.

GatorGal15

VIP Member
I personally think they are controlling Tebow too much. They aren't letting him play like they did last year, and its obviously isn't working!

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Why does this coaching staff run the same play for 3 years in a row and still expect it to work?

The coaching staff and the players both deserve a lot of blame for this loss.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
The definition of insanity = doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
As fired up and determined as Tebow was after this loss, I hope they run him 50 times against Arkansas. We need the old bad ass Tebow back there.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I see Mullen, Meyer & Co. having a new offensive strategy, but if it doesn't work, I can see Tebow running the ball like crazy...kind of. We can't have an injured Tebow against LSU the following week.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
As much of a blowhard Mike Bianchi at the Orlando Sentinel can be at times, I tend to agree with his point-of-view here: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2008/09/hey-gator-fans.html

Oh, I agree completely, as Tebow was a MAJOR factor as to why we loss to Ole Miss. And for the most part this season, I think his accuracy has dropped compared to last season.

The reason why I (and I'm sure others) are questioning Mullen is b/c our offense, over 4 games, has been a so-so on offense. Our offense (sans the fumbles) against Ole Miss was not a fluke.

During the Ole Miss came, their linebackers and defensive linemen were pinning their ears back and going all out after Tebow...AND THEY MADE IT OBVIOUS. What, Tebow can't audible? Tebow can't recognize the blitz? Tebow can't call a hot route? I was screaming (well, not literally) at my screen during the game saying "blitz blitz blitz!" And guess what, Tebow and our offense did nothing different. For crying out loud, why doesn't Mullen given Tebow a pressure relief valve? Fine, it's a 2 yard gain...but that's a whole lot better than a sack, tackle for loss, or incomplete pass.

Give Tebow a way to deal with the blitz or a broken down offensive line. Let him run the ball more like last year. Let his audible. Let him hot route a quick slant or dump off pass to the flats. Give Tebow SOMETHING! You can't tell Tebow: "you can't run the ball like you did last year. Oh, and by the way, if you get pressured, tough. We're not giving you the tools to deal with pressure."

UFtb

VIP Member
Well it's a new game and I think we just ran Tebow 4 times in a row down by the goal line. He did pick up a first down, but hasn't gained more then 1 yard on any of the runs.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Give Tebow a way to deal with the blitz or a broken down offensive line. Let him run the ball more like last year. Let his audible. Let him hot route a quick slant or dump off pass to the flats. Give Tebow SOMETHING! You can't tell Tebow: "you can't run the ball like you did last year. Oh, and by the way, if you get pressured, tough. We're not giving you the tools to deal with pressure."

This seems to be the area where Tebow's most effective; however, it's also up to the O-line to create a decent pocket to execute the pass play. When he's pressured he often commits mistakes besides get sacked. As far as I see it he needs to improve on this aspect as well as improve his judgment skills in reading the field. Too many times this season he's overthrown his intended recievers or thrown too low (even though his recievers have also dropped catchable passes). He also threw his first INT of the season, and that IMHO could have been avoided had he targeted a wide-open Brandon James in the underneath zone.

If Brantley can demonstrate good aptitude as a passer, I'd like to see Coach Meyer phase in the two-QB system again. What I like about this is that the strengths of two QB's can be used to the best of their advantage in making plays and confusing opposing defenses.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Maybe Brantley is a better passer, but his lack of experience still makes Tebow a better QB overall. But let's think about having a dual QB system and how they might work. Feel free to give your opinions.

If Tebow is in the game, most likely the defense can anticipate several things:
1. He runs the ball from the shotgun (QB draw) like a typical 4th and 1 kind of play.
2. He runs the option with Harvin/Demps/Moore/James/Rainey, etc.
3. Tebow hands the ball off to Harvin/Demps/Moors/James/Rainey, etc. This can be either a draw play or maybe a WR sweep.
4. Tebow makes a short pass.

If Brantley is in the game, a defense can anticipate:
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

Does Brantley pass the deep ball well? Even if he can, Tebow's inability to pass deep isn't ALL his fault. Our offensive lines isn't perfect and maybe our receivers can't run very good routes? I know this: If I'm LSU's defensive coordinator, I'll concede the deep ball and have at most, one deep safety, unless it's like 2nd and 35. And 90% of the time, I'll blitz 5 players.

By the way, any reason we're not running any trick plays like letting Harvin take direct snaps, running reverses, or maybe having a RB pass play?

That is just Tebow's game and you have to let him plat HIS game. When you don't it screws up his rythm. They should still let Tebow run the ball but make the run plays more creative not just right up the middle so he can get killed.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Maybe Brantley is a better passer, but his lack of experience still makes Tebow a better QB overall. But let's think about having a dual QB system and how they might work. Feel free to give your opinions.

If Tebow is in the game, most likely the defense can anticipate several things:
1. He runs the ball from the shotgun (QB draw) like a typical 4th and 1 kind of play.
2. He runs the option with Harvin/Demps/Moore/James/Rainey, etc.
3. Tebow hands the ball off to Harvin/Demps/Moors/James/Rainey, etc. This can be either a draw play or maybe a WR sweep.
4. Tebow makes a short pass.

If Brantley is in the game, a defense can anticipate:
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?

That's just it - confuse the other team's defense. It's a weapon when used and executed correctly can be an asset to our offense, and God knows we could use a little jump-start right about now.

I'd like to see us try to make it work this season just as it did back in 2006. After awhile opposing teams studied our game film and saw into the theory behind the two-QB system, but on the other hand we were still able to confuse defenses - case in point the 2006 NC game on that Tebow-to-Caldwell TD. Ohio State was more or less expecting Tebow to rush up the middle on that one play, NOT roll out of the pocket and hit a reciever open in the end zone on a short pass. Sure this team ran a zone defense which worked to Chris Leak's advantage, but having Tebow in the rotation added another dimension to our offensive attack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema