• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rebooting Johnny Brantley

How does Brantley do against FAU?

• Ekes out 100+ yards for the close one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Hope you didn't follow through on your threat.

I am out of town and did not get to watch the game. I will let you know if my television made it once I get home. From what I have been reading, I should be happy. Maybe a little concerned over the interceptions from JB4 and JD, but we shall see.

For those of you who watched, what are your thoughts?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I pretty well see it the same way, S-man...lots of good there, but even Coach says "we need to be realistic..." The jury's still out, but with a smiling thumbs up.
You're right about the possible "sky's the limit" across-the-board, but we need ALL our young weapons: I'm concerned now about Shariff Floyd's eligibility (won't hear anything 'til Tues., when the NCAA makes some kind of ruling, hopefully, according to his highschool coach), AND of course our injuries which are starting to mount already. On offense, Trey Burton was some kind of hip "ding" (maybe a "pointer"--Chomp says holding him out after it happened in the 1st qrtr. was "mostly precautionary, I think", but he also said there'd be a full injury report by Sunday night, and I haven't seen one yet; we are gonna really need him by Tennessee so I hope he's OK by then), Thompson looked like he got at least a moderate concussion on that helmet-to-helmet-flying-off-hit--which wouldn't worry me so much if WR's Clarke and Hines weren't already held out of last night's game with injuries too. On defense Jeremy Brown's knee still has him "questionable" for next week, and Omar Hunter broke a bone in his hand and had to play with a big padded hand-cast. Dom Easley was probably just cramps (he was jumping around and leading the crowd in the Gator fight song after the game). There are a couple of guys with persistent hamstring problems, too.
All in all, with a bit of good fortune, we should get back most of the injured by the time we begin SEC play (though I'll be anxious to see the injury- and eligibility-reports as the week goes on--depth is our one potential weakness this season; basically, we need EVERYONE, but certain individuals, like Burton for his athletic versatility and star potential all OVER the offense, and Floyd as one of the young "big three" that could help to make this defense something truly scary as the season moves forward, are pretty well essential to our chances of pulling a few "surprises" in October). If anyone has or hears of any word on these players, make sure you share it with us here, OK?

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Just found this on ESPN Site DRU.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida tight end Trey Burton and receivers Deonte Thompson and Omarius Hines are expected to return from injuries this week and play against UAB on Saturday.
Burton and Thompson were injured in No. 22 Florida's season opener against Florida Atlantic.
Gators coach Will Muschamp says Burton suffered a bruise on the left side of his upper body, but would not elaborate on Thompson's injury. Hines did not play against the Owls because of a hamstring injury.
Muschamp is less certain about cornerback Jeremy Brown (knee) and receiver Robert Clark (hamstring). Both sustained injuries during camp and sat out Saturday's opener. Muschamp says both are probable-questionable, depending on how they progress through the week.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks, SP. About what I was able to dig up on most of them separately in the last hour or so. I was just about to post it along with some comments here, so I'll just get to my reaction to it all...
OK. All-in-all, 'bout as good news on injury front as we could hope for regarding all the Q's out there after the game...hope that turns out to be a fairly accurate "final word" on these going into the week of practice for 'Bama B'ham. Still leaves the whole Shariff Floyd deal hangin' in the air, at least 'til tomorrow (Tues.)...if this DOES turn out to be something to do with something done in recruitment BEFORE UF was in the picture (he WAS wooed by Miami and UNC, and his highschool coach worries that his name may have come up in the NCAA's investigatory work in those cases, especially with the latter), that would turn out to be sad and frustrating enough--but if it turns out to be the help that the coach and others gave this "young kid who didn't have two cents to rub together" to survive and get by while he struggled and sweated to realize his dreams, THAT would be outrageous, typical out-of-whack NCAA selective and seemingly arbitrary application of power and punishment.

[Oh, and @ E94: We missed your input, man--you should go back over these threads--this one, the "Game Day Thread", and "Brantley surprisingly not looking too bad!", for sure, and maybe one other--and skip through 'em while you watch the game-replay I imagine you have planned, if you haven't already done so...your name AND some concern for your "vow" come up once or twice, for one thing--BTW, I believe JB IV would have, COULD have easily topped 300 yds. passing if he'd needed to, except with Rainey and Demps getting easy, dependable yardage on the edges, and dinged up WR's AND TE's cramping the style of the planned passing attack, well, you can see how even with a restricted playbook ("vanilla" makes it sound more exotic than it was--as Rainey said in the post-game presser "We only ran, like, six plays..." all game--tho' it DID open up a bit when Driskell came in the 2nd time and settled down to run that drive in the 2nd half) the offense had more than enough to dominate--and we didn't have to show any of our future opponents much of ANYTHING they couldn't be fairly sure of before watching the game-film...add in an aggressive, dominating performance from a "D" that was actually MISSING at least a couple of key components, and you have to feel pretty good about what we've got and where we're headed--PROVIDED we get most of 'em back healthy by Tennessee. Then there's this whole blind-side hit from the NCAA re Shariff Floyd; again, we find out Tues., and while I hope for the best, how can anyone have any confidence in or understanding of the NCAA's investigation/enforcement process?]

Escambia94

The problem with the opening game is that it is always when I am out on the beach, away from Internet or television access. Last year I was at South Padre Island and had to run 8 miles on the beach just to receive a cell phone signal to catch the updates. This year I was at Panama City Beach, so I only had to jog a couple miles to get a cell signal. The problem is that the signal was not strong enough to post anything.

My thoughts:
  • JB4 gets an A- from me (not that my opinion matters). Good command of the offense.
  • Rainey and Demps both get an A+. I am afraid I will be eating my words on the problem with having two scatbacks in the same backfield.
  • Driskel gets a B. I bought into the hype.
  • The defense gets an A. Wow.
  • Special teams gets an A, maybe an A+.
  • The team gets an A overall.
  • The fans get a C. That stadium could have packed a few more curious onlookers supporting the new regime. The fan boards show that as a fan base, we are scarred from one mediocre, 8-5 year with a New Year's bowl game. At least we are not Texas. The fans on this particular board get an A from me. You guys are awesome!
  • What is up with Floyd? We keep everything a secret around here now?
  • The coaches get an A+. Holy ****, Muschamp is INTENSE!
  • Go Gators! Muschamp for President!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I remember that about Padre LAST year, E-...this time you were at Panama City?!! Um, there ARE worse fates--and reasons, too! It was "bad" enough getting texts all game from some old friends at their game-watch party at a beach house near Destin. Sometimes I really miss Fla. (btw, watching the Miami/Maryland game: Maryland should have 'em down 24-to-7, anyway, but they keep blowing up inside the red zone...damn, too bad that'll end up burning the Terrapins eventually; scUM KNOWS they've already dodged SEVERAL bullets and are still WAY in it--there it is, long run and they have the lead...I would have really enjoyed deafening silence coming from that smelly and polluted mangrove swamp down there just west of Coconut Grove, for a change--but an intercepted pass at the Miami one, then a dropped pass by the wide open guy in the endzone, and now THIS has [retty well sealed Maryland's fate...)
As for OUR game, I'm generally in sync with your appraisal, maybe a little more moderate in a couple of places:
I had my concerns with a few things (Maryland strip--he's going IN--YES! Miami screw-up! Big turn around? I am easily entertained...), anyway, no one who was watching can tell me they didn't go "Aw F*ck, THIS AGAIN?!!" the first time we go into the shotgun and the ball sails over Brantley's head on that first drive, but JB dove on it, calmly got a big chunk of it back on the next play, then Sturgess hits the 51 yarder to get some points out of it, several big improvements over last year right there. Likewise that complete loss of focus on both sides of the ball in the last two minutes of the half, but again the same team managed to buckle down and shrug it off, for the most part. Otherwise, the whole team played near flawlessly, Overall, the noted breakdowns and the two sour-note statistics--minus-3 turnover ratio and 9 penalties for 65 yds.--gave the coaches and the team lots to focus and work on, and you KNOW there'll be plenty of both once they get to watching the film together...with all that went so well, generally, I have to say once more that probably the best and most obvious change from last year was the ENERGY this team showed, driving enthusiasm and relentless determination you could just FEEL, even through the TV...
Which brings us to your point about the fans in the swamp, echoed somewhat at some of the other Gator sites and blogs out there in the game's aftermath. I got a positive impression watching the student section when I could, the ones who showed; from the limited crowd shots AND the comments since in the more public media sites, it seemed to me that the "scarred-by-one-bad-season"-fans were comprised mostly of Florida folks who don't follow the program that closely--they just want to see a finished product that wins. As for what part that played in leaving something like 8,000 empty seats and a remaining crowd that didn't seem to really "let go" until Chomp stalked down the field with eyes blazing, breathing fire and seeming like he might explode as he screamed at the officials in support of what he was SURE was his guy's (Easley) great play NOT going offside but jumping the count PERFECTLY--only then did even they seem to get it, that this was a new coach, a new era, a new TEAM, and that was a GOOD thing--well, I can't say when that will take hold for all the people who aren't there yet, or even if we'll see the Swamp fill up and the crowd "sell out" emotionally like it ought to and USED to before this team gains more momentum (not to mention more wins under its belt, I'm sad to say--these are "prove-it-to-me" fans), but even with all the work I know is ahead, the ups and downs and no doubt teeth-gnashing disappointments to go with the excitement and sudden thrills of a young, rising power (and I ask you all to forgive me now for my predictably wild swings of reaction and analysis as we all go thru' the emotional rollercoaster this season is sure to be), I CAN say with complete commitment at this point that I AM ALL IN. This is a staff and a team that we can trust: they will give it, and us, everything. There'll be growing pains, and there will be some painful set-backs, no doubt, but they are going to be great, and they will make us proud. I'm already sold.
Oh, one more thing, E-: I know how we all felt a little like we had cold water splashed on us at Driskell's first series--but in a way, even THAT went rather fortuitously all around...he came in, still a young-if-amazingly-skilled true freshman QB fresh out of highschool--and found out IMMEDIATELY that he was in a WHOLE new world, the pace SO much faster and he WAY nervous in front of so MANY people, and scrambled around, then threw a pick...but he got all of it out of the way all at once, the sky didn't fall in and the world didn't end (shoot, Maryland misses ANOTHER opportunity inside the redzone--sorry), but instead he gets some coaching, begins to learn a few things like "let it go", and gets to come back later and lead a nice little drive...all told, I'd give him a "B" as well, and say they're bringing him along the right way. Assuming JB IV is going to be the QB he looks to be this year, it could all be falling nicely into place. Of course, that is exactly when the cynic in me gets worried, but I'm trying to overcome that particular tendency in this case.

Escambia94

I overlooked the turnovers. Silly me. No excuse against such a weak opponent.

It was crazy going from torrential rain in Florida due to tropical storm to wildfire in Texas. I think it's symbolic. Texas needs what Florida has--rain, and better football coaches!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
mm hmm...that's the one that irks me, keeps coming back 24 hours later: not just that we threw 3 picks, 2 from #12 including that terrible underthrow into double-plus coverage at the back of the endzone (and I know that was on one of Weis' favorite redzone pass plays and if JB had JUST put it up high and let the WR go get it...he just DIDN'T), but the fact that we didn't get ANY turnovers out of an otherwise aggressive defense that is COACHED with turnover-margin in mind, as you say against a team we had out-manned...OK, OK, it's early yet, and it's not as if we have to worry about THIS Head Coach not being WAY ahead of any of us on this particular point. Hey, how cool is it not to hear that Coach tell us "Any win's a good one", and not have to wonder if he notices, or even CARES, about the problems WE can see? I loved "Classic Urban", but last year's "Version 2.0" really wore me down, in retrospect, made me begin to think maybe I WAS spoiled, ungrateful...Now I see once more that no, I'm a Gator through and through, and I just want to know that (1) These coaches know what they're doing and are determined to get it done, and (2) That they're just as committed and "into it" as we are.
After just one game, does anyone doubt that Head Coach Will Muschamp of the University of Florida "Fightin' Gators" Football Team is just as completely "all in" as ANY and/or ALL of us?

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Dude he's hooked.I'm telling you when we met him he was all smiles looked like a humble Joe.Then when I welcomed him to the Swamp his whole look changed.I LIKE IT.HE'S IN LIKE SIN. He's got the Fire.....

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I was just going through all the pre-game-, game- and post-game-threads, and came across/remembered this one:
I think Brantley will have a good game. I think 300 yards is going to be tough to reach. I think that Weis will run the ball....a lot! I expect that this will be a blowout and that Brantley will be out mid 3rd quarter so he wont have the whole game to put up the numbers. I do think that he will perform well and will look more comfortable.

Good God he better! :)

...figured J&D deserved props for getting about as close to the right balance of clear-eyed confidence and realistic limits as any of us did. Nice...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dude he's hooked.I'm telling you when we met him he was all smiles looked like a humble Joe.Then when I welcomed him to the Swamp his whole look changed.I LIKE IT.HE'S IN LIKE SIN. He's got the Fire.....
I got that when you described getting that cool picture with him, said he sort of smirked and WINKED at you as soon as you said "Welcome to the Swamp..."
Just went with the impression I was getting in the last days leading up to the game, not just from Coach but from the players, in THEIR relatively quiet confidence.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
DRU: not just from Coach but from the players, in THEIR relatively quiet confidence.

Honestly DRU If you would of been there to of met some of them you would of got the same look.The linebackers were fired up.I told two of them if you see Red and Black or Garnet and Gold HIT IT FIRST then see if hes got the ball.They loved it They told me to count on it one when i got further down the line yelled We owe them some pay back every one loved it.Then another one shouted saying how bout Bama! My reply their over rate were not even worried bout them.BIG HUGE GRINCH smiles and thumbs up came from several.

I wish I could remember which one's but if i named them It might be wrong and then it would be a lie.I felt a sense of unfinished Business.Every one of those young men spoke to me down the whole line.If you ever get the chance to go on Fan Day We highly recommend it...Go GATORS......

Escambia94

Thanks for the report from the trenches, Swamp Person. This report brought to you by Advil, for the headaches you are going to get when you face the Florida Gators, be sure to take Advil...the brand recommended by Gator Bait all around the country.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Thanks for the report from the trenches, Swamp Person. This report brought to you by Advil, for the headaches you are going to get when you face the Florida Gators, be sure to take Advil...the brand recommended by Gator Bait all around the country.

Lol @ E. I've came into this year very humble.But i just can't stress enough on how good of a impression They all made on us.I'm hoping they do not let themselves or us down.Don't get me wrong there was not a single loud mouth out of them but they spoke with the WE and THEY sounded confident.I just got to buy into it.But that's just me.Win or Lose I'm with them.I just feel more winning then losing .But remember that's just me.God, it's great to be a Gator!!

Escambia94

1st impressions are important. When I met the Gators last year, they looked DEPRESSED. No smiles. No intensity. During the Gator Walk, they just zombied their way through the line as if they were going to work on a Monday morning at the office. Only Will Hill and Trey Burton were smiling. Trey is just a happy-go-lucky guy. Will probably just scored with a whole dorm full of girls that morning and posted it to Twitter. Other than that, watching the rest of the team walk in during the Homecoming match against Mississippi State made me depressed. At that point I knew we would lose against the Bulldogs, and I was right.

Confidence. Good point. We totally lacked that last year, except from the aforementioned studs, Burton and Hill. Out of those two, only one could back up the confidence, so we were essentially a one-man team in terms of confidence.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
i still dont like JB's ability to throw down field

can't wait till brissett or driskel gets a shot to show what they can do

It's true, that is an area that is still to be addressed. It was SUPPOSED to be a Brantley-strength, the "canon arm" that would "stretch the field"; in my memory, we tried it something like twice or so early last year--to "Brickhands" Thompson, who dropped it both times, and hardly tried it since--and JB overthrew it when we took a shot later on. From what Weis said post game, they were dropping the safeties way back into double-double, so Brantley "made the right reads and check-offs" in flipping it instead to whichever "speed guy" was the "out" in the flats, which DID work out well for the offense. We didn't have all our weapons for the whole game (the tight end will be even MORE involved as the season goes on) and there ARE other ways to burn that double-double coverage, using TE's and the slot, that I'm sure we'll see later, but we didn't NEED 'em in this first game, so the jury's still out, right?
Still, I TOO look forward to the seeing what a full-on Gator offense with power and depth run by a multi-faceted, Weis-groomed and experienced QB (ideally that would work out Driskell first, then, barring injury, a redshirted Brissett following HIS junior and senior years)...however, I'm also now hoping that Brantley actually IS the confident, reinvigorated and experienced QB and field general he shows all signs of having (finally) grown into this year--that would be the best thing for THIS year's team and season, after all, and it will probably be the best for Driskell as well. Muschamp IS looking towards that future too, as well as considering the various "what-ifs" (one hit away from starting, after all), and he knows it is best to bring him along, get him real game action, but do it slowly, steadily--a luxury a healthy and efficient senior-Brantley gives him.

Now, as to SP and E's comments above: though it has of course contributed to it, that new found confidence in JB IV is only PART of what has changed for me. I realize now it was somehow growing in me in the weeks BEFORE the game, something that came across in a bunch of little ways, almost SUBconciously. Even with so little hard data, everything I DID hear and see, like the things you're both sharing now, filtered through as a kind of overall gut feeling...and the game crystalized it for me: no matter what, I'M ALL IN NOW. As far as I'm concerned, like Arnold/Terminator, we are BACK. It's OK that we're nowhere NEAR our goal yet: the journey there is the best part! I have caught that smiling confidence you guys are talking about having seen and FELT in the players and the Head Coach. Man, did Foley ever get it right THIS time.
Earlier today I was in a meeting with these producers concerning the rewrites I was hired to do on (what I consider) someone else's pretty mediocre script. As usual in such situations, I went in with the version I REALLY liked, had some pride in, that I threw several copies of on the table--and another one in my portfolio that was much safer, less radically changed from the original, one that experience had taught me was about as far as they could be moved from the crud they started with. Anyway, after a lot of at times acrimonious back-and-forth, red-lining and note-taking all over "version 1", I pulled out "version 2", much to their mostly chuckling relief when we reviewed it together to find that it had anticipated most of their arguments and left seemingly much less "adjustment" now (but also contained a number of improvements I almost certainly would have had to work much harder for, and likely wouldn't have gotten near as many of, had I STARTED there). All except one guy, a fellow I've butted heads with before, who once again seemed to argue sometimes just BECAUSE I was in favor of something...he wasn't the final arbiter here, though, the changes were finalized and signed off on and we were wrapping things up with the normal "pleasantries", when one man mentioned how he had a week's worth of work to clear off his desk in a day and a half so he could be home early Thurs. for that evening's Saints-Packers' game. I answered that THAT was how it was for me basically "any Saturday the Fightin' Gators play". Another producer says, "Oh, you're a Gator-fan?", and I said proudly, "Born and bred, lifelong, an ALUMNUS." The guy who has that evident personal "problem" with me said almost under his breath, "You're a Gator? Oh, I HATE the Gators..."--to which I replied, and this just came right out of me (and remember, this is Austin, TX):
"Well that's GOOD...it means we're doing things right, we're on the right track--the next couple of years there's gonna be a LOT of people hatin' us--with Muschamp as our coach? Oh YEAH. Remember:
'There's Gator Nation, and there's Gator Hate
So you're either a Gator, or you're Gator Bait.' "
...and I grinned and walked out. Now, it wasn't Artur Rimbaud, or anything, I know--but it was pretty good for spur-of-the-moment I figure, and I left happy and laughing to myself. Eat 'em up!!!

Escambia94

I took a day of leave from work to watch the game on the DVR and break down each play. After further review, I think JB4 will be a suitable stepping stone between Tebow and Driskel or Brissett. Brantley or Driskel may very well be the next Bobby Sabelhaus. Who? Sabelhaus was SUPPOSED to be the successor to Danny Wuerffel. He was the highest ranked quarterback out of high school. There was no way some nobody baseball player like Doug Johnson would supplant Sabelhaus, but he did. Sometimes it works out that way. Brantley just doesn't have "it". Sorry, Johnny. You wasted valuable learning experience from Tebow. Coach said they threw underneath because that is what the defense gave, but that is exactly what FSU and LSU are going to do to us! We had better figure out how to "pop the umbrella" or force a soft zone into giving up a skinny post or deep flag routes. We saw a couple flag routes, but it was always to the Y receiver. Jb4 took the easy route buy not popping the umbrella and letting the defense umbrella our offense 15 yards and shorter. Special teams was just plain lazy.

Back to Brantley. He dumps too quickly. He zips the ball too flat on deep routes. That explains the batted balls and the drops. If he wants to fire the cannon, he needs to sidestep into a passing lane. He needs to give the ball an arc so the receiver can track it in. Simply put, he needs to go back to quarterback camp.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema