• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Play Calling...

Rhine01

Gator Fan
I have a been a fan of Addazio as the line coach, but his play selection is terrible. I am seriously hoping this game will maybe lead Meyer to make a change, or at the least get more involved in the preperation and selection during the game. Most specifically when inside the 35 yd line.

Jusy my opinion....

mjfan23

VIP Member
completely agree. Its been bad all year long.

But hey what do i kno, maybe there is more to it.

Rhine01

Gator Fan
the big problem for me is no deep balls against these crap defenses like miss st. and ark

Yes, very true. But the draw is being very well defended lately, which helps hold the defenses up tight, allowing the deeper plays. I did like the play from under center. I would like to see more short yardage Tebow dives from that formation

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I hear all this frustration about our playcalling and while I'm not happy with it, I don't really know what would be more effective.

More Tebow from under center? Why? How will that magically improve our running game? I suppose it will surprise some teams, but teams will quickly adjust.

Pass the ball more? Well, our o-line needs to improve its pass protection and our receivers need to run crisper routes.

Stop running Tebow up the middle on 3rd and 1? Well, it is one of the most reliably ways to convert. So what would you all suggest? Moody up the middle? Option? Pass it?

Look, I would have done things differently too last night, but I don't know if what I'd call would necessarily be better than what Addazio called.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
There are other plays in the playbook. One play from the last game that comes to mind is the quick out to the receiver behind or at the line of scrimmage. It literally spreads the offense and opposing defense, as other spread offenses do. Addazio is an option coach, so he tends to favor option plays in the 1,2,3,or 4-hole with option reads outside those holes. UM would need to get more involved in the play calling, or have Addazio reread his book on the Urban Way.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
The I-form is very affective in the redzone. It will help because our redzone offense is getting predictable... with Harvin we ran a lot of jet sweeps near the endzone, but haven't seen too much of that this year with Rainey/Demps

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I can see more I-Formations in the red zone, especially since it did work on the one play and our usual Tebow run up the middle was being stopped all night in the redzone. I just don't think it's a magic fix for our redzone woes (but I could be wrong).

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I used to think it was that the coaches wanted a more conservative offense... like we didn't have the personnel to run a lot of the plays they wanted to. But lately, I think it's the play calling. It just sucks. This offense looks nothing like it did a year ago.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
What comes to mind when considering the play calling is the oft repeated coachspeak....... "You run what works until they can stop it."
Statistically the Gators overall are being very effective. ( see this thread <
damn we suck in the red zone>)
Admittedly we have some corrections to make and I have no doubts that they have been, and are being worked on. Yet I don't think the play calling tops that list.

JvilleJohnny

I think the play calling should definitely be re-evaluated. It seems like to me Addazio is on the side of conservative.. and maybe Urban should be a little more involved in the red zone offense. maybe run more PA short passes, or reverses. But moving the ball between the 20s hasn't been a problem at all... And the "banzai" offense seems to slow down in the red zone, maybe they should keep it up tempo to catch the defense off guard more..:confused0082:

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
The I-form is very affective in the redzone. It will help because our redzone offense is getting predictable... with Harvin we ran a lot of jet sweeps near the endzone, but haven't seen too much of that this year with Rainey/Demps

With a power back like Moody, we could be effective in running the I-formation.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I read somewhere that we have our offensive plays called by committee. So Adazzio (sp) doesn't call the redzone plays, Gonzales does.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
play calling was poor last season as well, leading to the loss against Ole Miss. But that was because of too much Tebow up the middle, and this year there is no deep ball, as well as lack of protection in the passing game.

OldCityGator

Gator Fan
I know we run what we feel comfortable with when we get down close, and that's Tebow running it, mostly up the middle. I have no problem running that play, even from the shotgun. But when they stuff it, and we run the exact play twice more, it makes me wonder why we aren't trying something else?

I'd love to see Tim under center with only a yard to go for a TD, and have him just do the old goose and go, with no audible count. No way the defense would stop that. I want to see more Moody down that close as well. That kid runs hard and I doubt he could be stopped from short distance.

With all that said, heck, we are undefeated, so I really can't complain much. I would just like to see a little more variety in the red zone, I guess.

GO Gators!

OldCityGator

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
In way of explanation, coach said......

Fixing UF's offense near the goal line has been a focal point for coach Urban Meyer following a 29-19 win against Mississippi State in which the Gators managed one touchdown on six visits to the red-zone.
Meyer said after the game he'd start working on it during the flight home, and he and the other offensive coaches spent a rare late night in the office Sunday.
"We watched every red-zone snap of the year, evaluated every snap," Meyer said. "What we're finding is, in our opinion, it's not the play-calling. We have to hold to the plan. Sometimes we're making a call that's not on the call sheet, and that's my fault. We're going to stick to the call sheet and do a better job."
More HERE..
Get your bet on!
New bet item in GE's
Gator Chomp Sports Book
WLOCP : halloween 2009 in Gator Football

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema