• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ou fans here read!

What I meant by the defense was if you like at the numbers and as you said numbers do not tell everything. But the defenses tebow has faced are high ranked then the Ones OU has faced...But the race is going to be close because they are all good and anyone could win it easily

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
For the record, i dont ever want a computer to help decide a heisman. if that happened timmy chang, any texas tech qb, or 2K rusher would probably win every year. I used the computer thing as a debate on tebow and bradford.

something else. how much better stat wise were the defenses UF played vs. OU's. use that difference against offensive stats against those D's. Does OU's yards, points, etc against their defenses outweigh the strength of defense UF played against? I hope I described that well enough. It seems confusing when i re-read it.

Comparing stats as you suggest is not like comparing apples to oranges, but it is akin to comparing red apples to green apples. In the pros, it is easy to compare stats across teams and all divisions--all the teams are assumed to have parity on obtaining players and coaches, and the schedule is not controlled by the teams.

I'm not a fan of polls, because we leave the decision on which conference is more powerful to possibly biased voters and perplexing computer formulas. In NCAA football the stats for the most part reflect a team's strength relative to the 8 teams it plays from its own conference, whereas the stats in NFL football pretty much reflect relative strength amongst all teams across all conferences. Unless NCAA forced more SEC vs Big 12 and Big 12 vs Pac 10 games, the stats will not be truly representative of NCAA or even the top 25 overall in terms of correlation and relevance.

Don't get me wrong, I look at the stats to get a feel for how the game may play out--I just believe the stats less in NCAA vs NFL. I do believe the stats favor OU, but Vegas favors UF for some reason. We'll find out why next month.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
At least your honest, but i also believe he should have been invited but he wasn't But i will be honest also, I think tim has every right to be there because he has played way better defenses than the other two hands down but dont let me talk them down they are just as good as him but stll its just how I fell.

And if Tebow were on the Seminoles football team, you would think he does not deserve to be there.

So I am thinking: that you think he deserves to be there has more to do with him being a gator than anything else. Because around here there are plenty of people from KU, KSU, Washburn, Nebraska, and other fans that think Timothy Tebow does not deserve the Heisman this year.

1. Colt McCoy has better rushing stats than Tebow.
2. Graham, McCoy, and Bradford have better passing stats than Tebow.
3. They are all equal when it comes to leadership.

Since Tebow is there, Graham Harrell should be as well.

No offense, but this year is not as great as last year for Tebow. And leadership has nothing to do with this award. It is not about Most Valuable Player. It is about Most Outstanding Player, and I can name a handful of player that have been more outstanding this season than Tebow.

And if Tebow were on the Seminoles football team, you would think he does not deserve to be there.

So I am thinking: that you think he deserves to be there has more to do with him being a gator than anything else. Because around here there are plenty of people from KU, KSU, Washburn, Nebraska, and other fans that think Timothy Tebow does not deserve the Heisman this year.

1. Colt McCoy has better rushing stats than Tebow.
2. Graham, McCoy, and Bradford have better passing stats than Tebow.
3. They are all equal when it comes to leadership.

Since Tebow is there, Graham Harrell should be as well.

No offense, but this year is not as great as last year for Tebow. And leadership has nothing to do with this award. It is not about Most Valuable Player. It is about Most Outstanding Player, and I can name a handful of player that have been more outstanding this season than Tebow.

Well here take this in and then make a statement for your boy.

1.Tebow has ran against WAY better defenses than McCoy
2. Tebow has passed against WAY better defenses than Graham, McCoy, and Bradford ( if you dont believe me look it up )
3. And sure They are all equal I'll give you that

all hypothetical here. tebow has sams numbers and vice versa. Sam already has a heisman from last year and his numbers are worse this year. you gonna tell me you guys wouldnt be throwing nothing but numbers at us?

all hypothetical here. tebow has sams numbers and vice versa. Sam already has a heisman from last year and his numbers are worse this year. you gonna tell me you guys wouldnt be throwing nothing but numbers at us?

Oh I understand man I do...I Would sling numbers at you lol I didn't mean to talk either QB down Im sorry if I did but I just want my gator to win it

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Well here take this in and then make a statement for your boy.

1.Tebow has ran against WAY better defenses than McCoy
2. Tebow has passed against WAY better defenses than Graham, McCoy, and Bradford ( if you dont believe me look it up )
3. And sure They are all equal I'll give you that

Name an offense that Florida has faced that is worth a shit?

I can name 7 QBs in the Big 12 that is in the top 30 when it comes to PE, Yards, and TDs.

Fact is everyone wants to talk about defenses. Well, looking at OU and who they played,...they have played teams pretty good defenses.

Go ask Urban Legend and see if he thinks OU's defense sucks like you all want to think.

I came to this site thinking it was a good one, I have found out differently. You gator fans are like the rest, arrogant and think that Florida is all that and then some.

Since I respect Florida, good luck and I leave you with this.

If the SEC had better defenses....

Texas 51- Arkansas 10
Florida 38 - Arkansas 7

In the only one game I can find that has common opponents...the SEC did not show an overwhelming defense. They did show an overwhelming difference between offenses though.

P.S. No wonder the fans from Bama, LSU, UGA, and the rest of the SEC dislikes you all. You all act like your shit does not stink and that you are god's gift to football. What does 3-5 mean to you gators? That is your record this decade in Bowl games!

Name an offense that Florida has faced that is worth a shit?

I can name 7 QBs in the Big 12 that is in the top 30 when it comes to PE, Yards, and TDs.

Fact is everyone wants to talk about defenses. Well, looking at OU and who they played,...they have played teams pretty good defenses.

Go ask Urban Legend and see if he thinks OU's defense sucks like you all want to think.

I came to this site thinking it was a good one, I have found out differently. You gator fans are like the rest, arrogant and think that Florida is all that and then some.

Since I respect Florida, good luck and I leave you with this.

If the SEC had better defenses....

Texas 51- Arkansas 10
Florida 38 - Arkansas 7

In the only one game I can find that has common opponents...the SEC did not show an overwhelming defense. They did show an overwhelming difference between offenses though.

P.S. No wonder the fans from Bama, LSU, UGA, and the rest of the SEC dislikes you all. You all act like your shit does not stink and that you are god's gift to football. What does 3-5 mean to you gators? That is your record this decade in Bowl games!

The ONLY reason the offenses look so good is they play shit ass defenses. I myself think OU is a good football team please don't think I don't. I also don't think there defense sucks all I was saying is that Florida has played teams with better defenses. I take what I said back the offenses look good for many reasons but playing them cupcake defenses.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
The ONLY reason the offenses look so good is they play shit ass defenses. I myself think OU is a good football team please don't think I don't. I also don't think there defense sucks all I was saying is that Florida has played teams with better defenses. I take what I said back the offenses look good for many reasons but playing them cupcake defenses.

This is a chicken and egg argument. The Gator fans want to say that the Big 12 offenses did not play any defenses. The Sooner fans want to say the SEC's defense is inflated because of the lack of offenses.

I gave one example where a Big 12 team played a SEC team this year. It happened to be Texas vs. Arkansas. Arkansas also played Florida. I gave scores to both games.

Now, I know this is not a good judgment. However, it does show that the Big 12 has at least one comparative defense, while having at least one better offense than Florida.

Allowing 3 more points scored while scoring 14 more on a defense may not show a lot to you all here, But it does suggest one thing. That the defenses in the Big 12 are comparative to those of the SEC. The stats show, without a doubt the SEC is better in rank. Yardage and scoring allowed is not that big of a difference.

Not sure why it is hard for some of you to grasp. If you are saying OU's defense is not that bad, then you cannot say that the rest of the Big 12, or at least the teams OU played, are when it comes to defense.

Now then...I gave a breakdown of each offensive, defensive, and special teams stat in a pdf file. When you look at this...you have to admit that that the Big 12 and the SEC are very close to each other...just different sides of the ball.

Yardage:
Florida's opponents offenses averaged 344.23 yards per game. The opponents defenses averaged allowing 310.75 yards per game. Difference in yards: ~34 yards.
Oklahoma's opponent's defenses averaged allowing 383.24 yards per game. The opponents offenses averaged 421.99 yards per game. Difference in yards: ~38 yards.

Scoring:
Florida's opponents offenses averaged 26.06 points per game. The opponents defenses allowed an average of 22.06 points per game. Points difference: 4 points.
Oklahoma's opponents defenses allowed an average of 27.52 points per game. The opponents offenses averaged 33.80 points per game. Points difference: ~5

Yes, one can say OU played crappy defenses. However one can say Florida played crappy offenses. I would much rather say both handled their opposition the way it needed to be handled, by winning.

Yes here you are very right...Its just they both won who cares how they did it...In 2006 Florida barely won some games but look what happen in the big game! OU is a good team and so is Florida so lets get off to a fresh start and to a good game!

Escambia94

Not sure why it is hard for some of you to grasp. If you are saying OU's defense is not that bad, then you cannot say that the rest of the Big 12, or at least the teams OU played, are when it comes to defense.

Some of us grasp this--not a problem. However, there are plenty of sports writers and others commonly accepted as experts that state the same thing about SEC offenses and Big 12 defenses. It's not just the fans on this forum you need to convince with stats. Until the game is played, we have to assume that sportswriters have some advantage over the average fan in their analysis.

You've given a good argument for OU. Some of us get it. Personally, I think OU beats Florida hands down on paper. However, from the few games I have watched on TV, it seems as if the sportswriters are on to something.

My question is, "What is it that Vegas and the national sportswriters see that gives Florida the advantage?" I am afraid that OU is falling into a similar underdog curse that Florida was in back in '06.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Couple of things that makes this year's game remind me a lot of the 2004 (2005) Orange Bowl is:

1. Everyone was saying that, though the USC offense was good, it had not faced a defense like that of Oklahoma's.
2. That the PAC-10 defenses sucked, that is the reason the USC offense looked so good.

Then USC came out and blasted OU 55-19.

Personally, I do not think the game will get that out of hand. This one looks to be an instant classic. But if the Florida players buy into what the media and everyone else is saying about OU's team and the Big 12, they could be in for a long long night.

As it is, the media is all but ready to hand the trophy to Florida.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Gators are a fine team and a very good opponent and well deserving of the hype. But like a lot of you have said, so is OU.

Escambia94

I have faith as a fan and not as an expert sports analyst that it will not be a blowout from other side. I do not like the media curse, because Florida is a team that you either love or hate, unlike Oklahoma that seems to have a lot of people somewhere in the middle of the love-hate spectrum. The media is feeding that love-hate for Florida way too much. If Oklahoma loses, I don't foresee a lot of people bashing them. If Florida loses, I see a lot of bashing and media ridicule in addition to the "upset of the year" stories.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
I have faith as a fan and not as an expert sports analyst that it will not be a blowout from other side. I do not like the media curse, because Florida is a team that you either love or hate, unlike Oklahoma that seems to have a lot of people somewhere in the middle of the love-hate spectrum. The media is feeding that love-hate for Florida way too much. If Oklahoma loses, I don't foresee a lot of people bashing them. If Florida loses, I see a lot of bashing and media ridicule in addition to the "upset of the year" stories.

The media did that with OU after OU lost to LSU in the NCG. Of course it was the media saying OU of 03 was the best ever....yet they whiplash was horrendous from those same people.

OU has a lot of people and fans that hate OU....trust me when I say that OU is fast becoming like that of the Dallas Cowboys...you either love them, or you hate them.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Couple of things that makes this year's game remind me a lot of the 2004 (2005) Orange Bowl is:

1. Everyone was saying that, though the USC offense was good, it had not faced a defense like that of Oklahoma's.
2. That the PAC-10 defenses sucked, that is the reason the USC offense looked so good.

Then USC came out and blasted OU 55-19.

Personally, I do not think the game will get that out of hand. This one looks to be an instant classic. But if the Florida players buy into what the media and everyone else is saying about OU's team and the Big 12, they could be in for a long long night.

As it is, the media is all but ready to hand the trophy to Florida.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Gators are a fine team and a very good opponent and well deserving of the hype. But like a lot of you have said, so is OU.

There's one difference this year from the 2005 Orange Bowl. UF's coach doesn't choke in big games. I doubt he'll let his guys get big headed before the national title game.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
There's one difference this year from the 2005 Orange Bowl. UF's coach doesn't choke in big games. I doubt he'll let his guys get big headed before the national title game.

Look bro...The Gators have not exactly been tearing it up this decade in Bowl games. A 3-5 record backs me up on that.

Urban lost to Michigan of all teams last year. I would not go ragging on some other coach that has a better Bowl record than Florida this decade!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Look bro...The Gators have not exactly been tearing it up this decade in Bowl games. A 3-5 record backs me up on that.

Urban lost to Michigan of all teams last year. I would not go ragging on some other coach that has a better Bowl record than Florida this decade!

There was no excuse for that Michigan loss last year and it left a bad taste in everybody's mouths, let alone Meyer's.

We started off 2000 with a loss in the Sugar Bowl, then won the Orange the following year - only to have Steve Spurrier resign shortly afterward.

Don't get me going on Ron Zook; that fool couldn't pull one off to save his life. What really pissed me off, among the many other things he did, was not take accountability for that botched play call right at the end of that 2002-03 Outback Bowl against Michigan that could have won that game for us - all that pansy could say was "Rex was open". If only you knew how happy I was on 10/25/04 when the Zooker was finally fired....

We've won two and lost one under Meyer as far as bowl games go since he's been our head coach, and hopefully he's out to redeem himself this year in a big way for that Cap One loss a year ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema