• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech

shandsgator8

VIP Member
LOL.

Yeah, beating them 42-7 at half time and 65-21 overall = less impressive.

You sir are pathetic if you really think this.

I will say this. I was asked on another board how I thought the Big 12 would fair this Bowl season. I said 5-2. With Okie Lite (Okie State) losing one and either Tech or Nebraska losing the other.

So far I have been correct.

Let's not forget one thing guys. Texas Tech is Texas Tech. You limit their yards after catch, which is what Ole Miss did in the second half, you beat them.

Now then, would you all like to talk about the Alabama loss to Utah? Or shall we call it Bama's ass whipping?

castawaygator just said OU's win over TT was less impressive now that TT got decisively beat by Ole Miss...he didn't say Ole Miss beating them was more impressive or anything along those lines. Just like Ole Miss took away from OU's win, Utah's win over Alabama obviously makes our win against them less impressive. At least we can say we didn't have Harvin, but then again, 2 or 3 out of the 5 Alabama offensive linemen were playing new positions against Utah. Oh well, Utah still beat them handily.

As much as I wanted Alabama to win, their loss at least gives more proof that we need a playoff.

castawaygator

VIP Member
castawaygator just said OU's win over TT was less impressive now that TT got decisively beat by Ole Miss...he didn't say Ole Miss beating them was more impressive or anything along those lines. Just like Ole Miss took away from OU's win, Utah's win over Alabama obviously makes our win against them less impressive. At least we can say we didn't have Harvin, but then again, 2 or 3 out of the 5 Alabama offensive linemen were playing new positions against Utah. Oh well, Utah still beat them handily.

As much as I wanted Alabama to win, their loss at least gives more proof that we need a playoff.

exactly! and i cant wait for payoffs. the BCS is sure to be embarrassed now having a legit appearing 13-0 team be ranked behind a legit 13-1 team.

apparently they don't teach reading comprehension skills too much at OU :shifty:

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan

This is where we disagree.

The win that Utah and Ole Miss had today has nothing to do with the wins that OU and Florida had against Tech and Bama.

It does not make either win for OU/Florida less impressive either.

Was the win Ole miss had impressive? Yes. Does it make OU's win over Tech less impressive? No.

Was the Utah win over Bama impressive? Yes. Does it make Florida's win over Bama less impressive? No.

Bowl games, outside of the NCG are put together by committees. Those committees are looking for teams that matchup well against each other. 90% of the time, the committees get great matchups. There was no difference this time around.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
exactly! and i cant wait for payoffs. the BCS is sure to be embarrassed now having a legit appearing 13-0 team be ranked behind a legit 13-1 team.

apparently they don't teach reading comprehension skills too much at OU :shifty:

Your words...Not mine:
the way OU beat TT looks a whole lot less impressive now!!!!

Show me where putting 65 points (58 in 3 quarters and allowing just 14 through 3 quarters and 21 overall) is less impressive because they lost to a team (47-34) that beat Florida?

shandsgator8

VIP Member
This is where we disagree.

The win that Utah and Ole Miss had today has nothing to do with the wins that OU and Florida had against Tech and Bama.

It does not make either win for OU/Florida less impressive either.

Was the win Ole miss had impressive? Yes. Does it make OU's win over Tech less impressive? No.

Was the Utah win over Bama impressive? Yes. Does it make Florida's win over Bama less impressive? No.

Bowl games, outside of the NCG are put together by committees. Those committees are looking for teams that matchup well against each other. 90% of the time, the committees get great matchups. There was no difference this time around.

You have your opinion, but I bet if you take a peak of the rivals message board and/or ask the casual college football fan they would say the OU win over TT and the UF win over Alabama look a less impressive now.

You obviously know college football enough to know that TT's and Alabama's losses technically have no predictive value for the UF v. OU game, but there is something called perception, and the perception of UF and OU changed last night.

castawaygator

VIP Member
Show me where putting 65 points (58 in 3 quarters and allowing just 14 through 3 quarters and 21 overall) is less impressive because they lost to a team (47-34) that beat Florida?

perhaps you are looking at it from the wrong POV.

would the Ole Miss win be more impressive or less impressive had TT not lost to OU? same goes for the Utah v Bama game, if Bama had won the SEC.

anyone with half a brain would agree that both games would be MORE impressive!

conversely..... having both teams lose (TT, and Bama) and then get beaten with relative ease in a bowl too, makes them less impressive teams. ie not worthy of the high regard that had been given to them previously. the more a team loses the less respect is earned from defeating them. WHY? because they are not the powerhouse they are perceived to be by the public.

why would any team that stomped those teams want to toot their horn about a glorious victory over them? you don't see the gators dancing in the street after beating Vandy, just as you would not see OU had they beaten Iowa State. ( as a side note vandy was unusually successful this yr)
and no i am not trying to equate vandy or iowa to TT or bama. this is to only make an attempt to show you a different POV.

final thoughts since i am sure you will find a way to disagree.
just like in the superbowl everyone was impressed with NY beating an undefeated NE team. would they appear as impressive had NE lost atleast once during their season?how about 2,3,4,etc losses
would you prefer that OU beat a 12-1 or a 13-0 gator team? if you say 12-1 you may as well stop posting because you would just be a thick headed a$$ that is FULL OF SH!T!!!

castawaygator

VIP Member
You have your opinion, but I bet if you take a peak of the rivals message board and/or ask the casual college football fan they would say the OU win over TT and the UF win over Alabama look a less impressive now.

You obviously know college football enough to know that TT's and Alabama's losses technically have no predictive value for the UF v. OU game, but there is something called perception, and the perception of UF and OU changed last night.

i couldn't agree more!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

Shands, I hope that our players an coaches were watching the Cotton Bowl yesterday, if anything to gauge an SEC - Big 12 matchup of a high calibre.

We weren't outmatched by Ole Miss; our loss to them was due to the fact that we committed too many costly mistakes. We shot ourselves in the foot that day - nothing more, nothing less.

As far as how I interpreted things, Ole Miss looked for gaps in TT's defense after a few drives and then took advantage of them. Being innovative on offense with the "Wild Rebel" also had its advantages as well, and if it's one thing that some SEC teams are doing to gain an edge, it's just that. (Heck, even Meyer experimented with the "wildcat" formation using Percy Harvin to take snaps on occasion during the regular season, and it worked.)

The main reason Bama lost to Utah was due to turnovers and mistakes. Plain and simple.

would you prefer that OU beat a 12-1 or a 13-0 gator team? if you say 12-1 you may as well stop posting because you would just be a thick headed a$$ that is FULL OF SH!T!!!

Castaway, please stop the name-calling. Agree to disagree without the childish stuff. That's unacceptable.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
O-town Gator,

Yes, I know our loss to Ole Miss was a fluke, but having Ole Miss beat TT with everyone watching will finally get people off our backs about our loss to Ole Miss. Ole Miss played very well and we made MANY MANY mistakes. It was a perfect storm, but many casual football fans just see the "L" and don't care how much of a fluke it was.

And to be fair, I'm betting USC's loss to OSU (Oregon) was a fluke too. Luckily we have a better conference. :)

castawaygator

VIP Member
Castaway, please stop the name-calling. Agree to disagree without the childish stuff. That's unacceptable.

i apologize if you were offended by the names, but there is an IF. only IF any unreasonable person chose 12-1 rather than 13-0 would the names apply.

As for the ole miss v TT game i felt it was more their D and special teams that stepped up. they had a number of INTs and great returns.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Yes, I know our loss to Ole Miss was a fluke, but having Ole Miss beat TT with everyone watching will finally get people off our backs about our loss to Ole Miss. Ole Miss played very well and we made MANY MANY mistakes. It was a perfect storm, but many casual football fans just see the "L" and don't care how much of a fluke it was.

Agreed; we still have too many Gator fans crying over spilled milk in spite of the fact that that loss was only one roadblock in our quest for the National Championship. Those are the fans with lofty expectations for this team, and if they're not picture-perfect they'll continue to nit-pick.

Trust me, if I had a dime for every time I read a "Fire Dan Mullen" rant after that Ole Miss loss, I'd be rich enough to afford a home in Palm Beach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema