• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 9: Florida Gators 17, Georgia Bulldogs 36 10/27/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Finally, well, almost just put up a separate "new thread" entitled, "OUCH! OOOOHHHHH...IT HURTS...": A place where all of us could just do the texting equivalent of "Primal therapy"--you know, where you just go into a sound-proofed room, maybe (in some cases) treatment includes a thrapist who hugs you and murmers, "There, there..." while you simply scream your guts out...
LOL...NOT that bad an idea, when you think about it, huh?
But all I could think of to say UNDER that title myself was simply THAT: "Oooohhhh, it HURTS..." Not exactly much help OR progress there--for me or anyone else...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The sun WILL rise tomorrow. And I at least will be back here come next gameday, I promise--though rest of the week my participation may well be limited to reacting/reponding to any comments Y'ALL may choose to share here. I WILL (gladly) talk to fellow thinking-Gators--but for the moment, I don't even wanna HEAR from anyone else about this one and what it supposedly says about ANYTHING AT ALL.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just an addendum:
For my own info (and just to see if my "kneejerk" reaction to "get Jones in there ASAP" truly had even practical merit in the first place), I just went over the new redshirt rules, and IF I am correctly taking into account the few number of appearances Jones has already now made, and IF I am properly reading those "new rules", then although my suggestions ARE still options that will NOT necessarily burn Jones' redshirt status, it likely would come to a choice: There MIGHT be enough left to prepare Jones for play in the Bowl game without losing that redshirt--as long as they DON'T play him rest of the way in the regular season...A "coupla series" before then could end up being counted as "a half", and THEN he might well be limited to just a similar role in the Bowl. So if they think they "want a look" (not to mention extended game experience) before next spring, it looks like Mullen and staff will have to decide soon what form best suits their plans, and plan accordingly.
I still like my "Bowl Plan", and if that one is doable, according to The Rules, the idea of beginning his ascension-in-FULL there seems the most promising.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
For all our regulars, @Escambia94, in particular:
As a confirmed pessimist, a "half-empty sorta guy", I of course in turn HATE being RIGHT--especially in any pregame, in this case predictably dark concerns about our Gators I had going INTO this one.
So it is with a certain amount of sad regret that I now commend your attention to my VERY FIRST POST here on this very thread --the one that begins with my quoting Harry Truman regarding "...statistics":
It isn't simply whether I was particularly right or accurate, but rather the specificity of focus and in turn how inevitably clear and accurate my warnings turned out to be.
Not only do I in this case "HATE being right", as I say, but that deep down all of us, each in our own way knew and saw it all themselves coming INTO this game--It was all simple and clear to every one of us, making the whole trajectory of our "reality about to be" one long seemingly UNAVOIDABLE one. Which, it then seems in retrospect, in fact in truth made it all EMIMENTLY AVOIDABLE:
Deep down we ALL "saw it coming coming from a mile away", how and why--and yet apparently none, not even our Coach could do anything to stop it; NO ONE could do a THING to change the outcome. All we could do was hope "good fortune", "the bounces" etc would somehow go our way...
And that won't DO. I just don't know what, if ANY, recourse any of us have now, and am trying to work that through:
I must similarly conclude that our fine Head Coach, the inestimable Mr Mullen saw it too--put the best face he COULD on the restorable aspects of the "black hole of entropy" it appeared our program's then-"current" fate was spinning INTO, then proceed to in effect IGNORE ALL THAT--do his best to manage its inevitable "negative momentum" and, along with the REST OF GATOR NATION simply "RIDE IT THRU AND OUT"--that last, the "out" part, his (and OUR) one real sliver of HOPE: That in this very postgame insight/moment-of-misery directly after lies our one true chance at change, at salvation, in a new moment of insight and opportunity our chance to bite-the-bullet--choose CHANGE over the temporary, the second-rate ideas of also-ran, "ribbon-for-participating", politically correct "congratulations for just playing along" and settling for mediocrity in a world where there really CAN be only one "BEST", one "CHAMPION". NICK SABAN doesn't, WON'T play along--and though he is mocked, even castigated, the world does not collapse...and OUR Head Coach sees, understands--aims for his own self-defined version of "success", and at least the CHANCE at TRYING for "perfection"...So here is the coming crossroads he is steering us inexorably towards: Do we "knuckle under", play it safe, play for APPROVAL by the status quo? Or do we take the BIGGER GAMBLE? Go for it ALL: Follow our visionary Coach as he leads, basically exhorts us by action and example to "DO IT OUR WAY"? Chance some short term setbacks on the way to TRYING for that envisioned "perfection" that by definition probably can never quite be reached, that place and/or thing "somewhere in the clouds"?
I would like to think that WE are just different, JUST BRAVE enough to do so--support and follow him now, and somehow in this way transmit that support in the underlying message of inherent confidence that makes clear we're WITH him now: "GO for it, Coach! Do what you must: You've come this far, this fast: Take us the rest of the way...At least TRY."
Whatever that entails. We're not there yet--but we can ALMOST SEE IT from here. We're no more interested in settling for less than YOU are.
I'm serious about this: I wish we could just publish the above statement in a private "advert" on the back of The Alligator, simple and clean in black'n'white.
But then again, I'm not sure anyone would have any idea what we were talking about. Would I once have been just another student who thought it was just some "weird craziness"? Heck, I'm not so sure they'd be wrong now. LOL.
But there it is, nonetheless:
In the strange "down but not OUT" frame of mind I find myself in at 2 in the morning on the following night/day, I find myself awake--and this is what I'm thinking, this is where the recent portion of the roller coaster ride that is this season has deposited me, philosphically/emotionally. A little nuts? Probably. But is that so bad, so "inappropriate" here? Is it WRONG?
I suppose I am REALLY asking, "What do we WANT?" "What are we willing to risk to get it?" I say NOT the dark compromises of an Urban Meyer, not again...that bill ALWAYS comes due, and way too high. Nor the endless frustration of "close but no cigar", the attention and spotlight of constant PARTIAL, part TIME success we've seen intermittently these last nearly 10 years--acceptable to some (mainly the myriad chronic "have nots" out there--Like watching the joy at OSU after they beat Texas yesterday aft: "Oh boy, oh JOY! THEY say Texas is BACK, and we just BEAT them! Our season is saved, a success after all! Our lives COMPLETE for now!"). No. It's not enough. Far from it, I'd MUCH rather be the ones they celebrate at beating once in a while--even if it does mean losing ones we should win now and then.
And that's my point here: We have GOT to go FOR IT ALL. I am now fully convinced we went out and got the one Gator Head Coach who understands and wants the very same. OUR job, if you will, is to support him thoroughly in that endeavor, to trust and support him as he takes whatever chances he must in order to ultimately move forward in bettering our team and its potential in the FUTURE. That doesn't mean we can't discuss, analyze and even question his efforts and decisions in this regard. Unlike Saban, I get the impression he not only has no problem with that, he is balanced and self-confident enough to welcome it all. Coach is every BIT the "perfectionist" when it comes to this team and program--he's just more flexible and relaxed in his approach, more self-aware and accepting of the inevitability of imperfection...and all that has its OWN advantages, long term--believe me. Above all, he has a better sense of humor than his Tide counterpart...and in addition to making him less brittle and a whole lot more fun to be around, will serve him well in the long run (one more reason you won't see Dan Mullen holding his head on the sidelines throughout games, eyes-wide shock and terror frozen on his face). It's also why personally I like and admire him--for all the huge difference THAT makes in the big picture of everything!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gators were one QB and two healthy DBs away from winning this game. Despite the criticism, Franks is still hanging in there as a serviceable QB. Dan Mullen has worked his magic by improving the QB he has on roster. The DBs are banged up heading into critical games against passing teams. This was a winnable game, but it will take better execution from the offense and the secondary.

• Franks 57.1% 16 TDs 6 ints 140 QBR
  • Locke 60% 16 TDs 6 ints 140 QBR
  • Fromm 67% 16 TDs 4 ints 174 QBR
  • Stidham 60% 8 TDs 4 ints 129 QBR

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gators were one QB and two healthy DBs away from winning this game. Despite the criticism, Franks is still hanging in there as a serviceable QB. Dan Mullen has worked his magic by improving the QB he has on roster. The DBs are banged up heading into critical games against passing teams. This was a winnable game, but it will take better execution from the offense and the secondary.

• Franks 57.1% 16 TDs 6 ints 140 QBR
  • Locke 60% 16 TDs 6 ints 140 QBR
  • Fromm 67% 16 TDs 4 ints 174 QBR
  • Stidham 60% 8 TDs 4 ints 129 QBR
Exactly. The missing DBs (losing our best early, when we were already down our SECOND best, was fatal, in retrospect--that and our general thinness 'cross the board on D may well be the main thing that keeps us from bouncing back here and finishing strong) made it all the more urgent that Franks make the plays--but instead he overthrew a wide open WR steaking for the endzone on his first play from scrimmage, several more crucial misses along the way--and then there was that basically unforced fumble outside our goalline (though our D kept them OUT of the endzone there--even when they got a free extra set of downs in that series!).
Watch the presser if you can: DM covers ALL of this and more... he gives straight answers to straight questions--but I think there's a lot of information "between the lines" there too. That goes especially in his responses to questions regarding Jones, and later Franks. If anyone wants to parse it closely, I'll go down THAT road with y'all--but for now suffice to say "not in words but between 'em" I heard this: That they are indeed trying to stick to a plan they decided upon before play began this season, where Jones would be redshirted if possible, but would get as much actual meaningful work along the way as a stretched reading of the rules would allow--and that hasn't changed, except there is little doubt now that the idea and HOPE is that this will lead to him coming along enough by and INTO the spring to give him a REAL LOOK and SHOT at the starting job entering '19...All that was underlined and further developed in Coach's comments about Franks' play--He didn't blame him, "throw him under the bus", not at all, even reiterated that it was a GIVEN Fillipe would continue in his current role rest of THIS season, that he WAS/IS "on a long leash", in fact although noting a number of his misses and big badly timed errors ALSO gave nods to specific "nice plays", "big time throws", willing self-sacrifice and sticking with the system, "playing within himself"...but you could also say that all taken together translated as at least a certain level of "damning with faint praise": I swear, when it came to comments on the QB position, the message I heard overall was along lines of, "Barring injury, by nessecity we're committed to Franks for the balance of this year--but after that, well, we're hoping that Jones continues to 'stay on schedule', as he has so far, and we'll add to that as soon and as fast as we can and are allowed to do so given the current rules--which have HELPED give teams in our 'situation' more flexibility in this regard, but still must be carefully, patiently managed..." Clearly the coaching staff is examining the new rules VERY closely and mean to get Jones up, ready and moving forward as fast as they can WITHOUT burning his redshirt; this was their plan, decided upon before the season started and still ongoing, by now if anything more certain and determined than ever aimed at having him COMPETING for the starting job by next summer... If he hasn't secured it by next Sept, they certainly hope to have him "waiting in the wings", getting the back-up reps by then: If Franks doesn't take some major strides forward, fill a good portion of the missing parts of his game, they'll at least continue to ready Jones to step in along the way: The QB with the most "future upside" WILL PLAY, sooner or later. I think we caught a glimpse of that last Sat; just a "glimpse", but it doesn't take a seer to imagine all it hints at.
Coach had a lot more calm, frank and INTERESTING "straight talk" for us, not surprisingly--win or lose, he always is honest, open and even-tempered: If it is truly the case that a team's "personality" is a direct product and reflection of their Head Coach, we certainly got the right guy. Boy, did we EVER.
I HIGHLY recommend y'all go online and find the presser, watch it (available in a number of different ways each Monday at start of that game week--ESPN, SEC Network, elsewhere)...In the past, these were predictable affairs (espec under Muschamp and McEllvaine), and ones I'd DEFINITELY miss (along with everything ELSE from the sports "TV-Talkies") after losses--discovered differently after Kentucky loss (where I gave a look just to SEE how "this Coach" handled it--and was surprisedly GLAD I did), so that THIS time it was the one, the ONLY "postgame followup" I was the slightest bit interested in...Of course, Coach has the attitude towards and uses them to look AHEAD to the next game, for one thing--but the local sportscasters inevitably use it to follow up on questions they still have about the prev Sat, ESPECIALLY after a loss there...but overall he deals with everything in an even-handed manner that just strikes the right balance: Doesn't make excuses, doesn't duck questions or hard truths, looks ahead with realistic positivity. And one more thing he managed to END with: Another call for the Gator Faithful to come out, this time for Homecoming--He recounts how it USED to be and WHY that "SWAMP ADVANTAGE" was and IS such a "home field advantage" in the first place...Again, just watch it if you can. I'll tell y'all this:
If I was within 8 hours' drive or less of G-ville I would ANSWER that call MYSELF--get over there and buy scalped tix outside (preferably on the wilder Student Side), go in and add MY voice--RAISE SOME GATOR HELL!).
YES, it IS "Homecoming" (gotta look up/checkout who they got at Gator Growl), we are facing a tough Missouri squad in a "must win" (if we wanna salvage a "good season" from "a good start" after all) situation--and as DM makes the argument, there are strong and real, practical and emotional REASONS why a packed, crazy-loud SWAMP does make a difference--is central and crucial to the NECESSITY of returning to the simple "reality" of "at home"="Gator win"!!!
Eat 'em UP, guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema