• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread Week 6: Florida Gators vs Missouri Tigers 10/8/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damn! ANYTHING but that!
All we had to do was kick a fg to win this.
Now we are screwed.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
That was one of the ugliest non-losses I have seen. Gators move to 4-2 (1-2).

Attachments

• F8EA01F0-DBB5-4C79-97A7-65593236B1D2.jpeg
    F8EA01F0-DBB5-4C79-97A7-65593236B1D2.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 70

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, it wasn't pretty--but let's give 'em credit for coming back and winning a tough one...And in the end, the offense (barely) gets it done the HARD way in the 2nd half, and our much-maligned (by ME, to start with!) defense somehow sucked it up and WORE THEM DOWN this time. One more thing: The whole team pretty well played penalty free ball the whole day, I think (what is it...one false start call?). Tackling was again a problem though--mostly just on THIRD AND LONG though--which once again would indicate a COACHING problem...Toney repeatedly had his guys in the wrong set, and/or they are still consistently messing up the chase angles and their technique at contact.
But they had a tough day against a game opponent, left more than a touchdown's worth of points on the field, our star-QB AGAIN threw a late interception as he drove them towards the clinching TD, but they still managed to hang in, reassert themselves after blowing a 2-score lead earlier, as I say almost had it comfortably put away again only to have their still-learning QB throw a bad INT late down at their end, letting them.back in it when they drove the field their only time of the 2nd half...
And yet: They STILL managed to get it done ON DEFENSE this time and save the win after all. Tense and worrisome as it all was, it was STILL a game we can take much from--in satisfaction and relief, yes--but also in learning and growing. We can still get to 7, even (with luck and work) 8 WINS from here.
It will continue to be a gnarly, game-to-game experience, this season for this team. There are no assurances we'll do even THAT well.
But "winning" sure beats "LOSING"--ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT about that!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That was one of the ugliest non-losses I have seen. Gators move to 4-2 (1-2).
The "short'n'sweet" way of putting it, as opposed to my typically verbose one above (LOL).
At one point earlier here I mentioned my "alternate approach" to following the game here today: Essentially succumbing to superstition, at the half I changed my Gator T-shirt and switched over to the WRUF Gator Country live feed...
And while most would see no logical cause/effect relationship between them, the FACT is that Gator fortunes DID reverse from that point on.
Now, I won't bore y'all with the details, but I DID do a paper for an undergrad physics class that posed a quantum-based explanation for "superstition", one involving Schrodinger, the Uncertainty Principle, and so on.
The professor liked it anyway--called it "entertaining and inventive" and gave me an "A".
I have tended to "just GO with such things as necessary" ever since. Whose to say whether "ENOUGH" of such "intervention" on the part of a large portion of Gator Nation made the difference here today? I always found athletes' appeals TO and/or citings OF some Deitie's intervention in their own and/or their TEAM'S success was somehow absurd--"Why would a wise and benevolent, all-seeing God favor one person or team over another?", I wondered...Well, maybe if they were playing Miami...--but when it comes to "yes/no", "A/B" results in a given simple "choice of outcomes" and the actions of a single "Observer", well, Quantum theory figures in rather neatly.
Of course, whether all that means you ought to wear those unwashed-in-25-years SOCKS for certain games, or whatever is entirely up to you.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
From the post-game press conference:

“There wasn't anything great on offense, defense, or special teams but they got it done."

Napier is not blind to the issues with our roster and staff and he is also frustrated. I trust him to make corrections at the end of the year as needed.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
From the post-game press conference:

Napier is not blind to the issues with our roster and staff and he is also frustrated. I trust him to make corrections at the end of the year as needed.
I just finally went on YouTube to watch Billy's post-game presser, and I see what you mean about him squarely facing our weaknesses, his frank analysis of "less than dazzling performances" and forthright facing the job still to be done across-the-BOARD on this team, BOTH sides of the ball and Special Teams.
I "trust him" too...
Main thing that came out today was further evidence of how CLOSE IT IS between success and failure, positive momentum and uneven play.
We are so close at times to steady, precise execution, yet at other times cannot sustain it in the slightest.
I really appreciate Richardson's honest self-appraisals; he is a leader, intelligent and determined to improve.
There is no doubt not just that this team WANTS to improve, but that everyone, from coaches all the way to freshmen are willing to do whatever is necessary to do their part, see it happen.
And it IS HAPPENING--however lurchingly intermittent and unsteady it may seem at times.
Our Head Coach wisely DOESN'T quash their joy and spontaneity when things go well--but good or bad, he makes EVERYTHING a positive teaching moment.
All in all, we are in good hands.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Napier should have learned from Hackett (Broncos coach) on what not to do. Run the ball and kill some clock.
Also, 66 passing yards?
Yes: That was sort of a sickening "throwback moment"--exactly BECAUSE you could almost "see it/FEEL it coming": That is, based on what we've seen so far in the games where the offense WASN'T functioning smoothly, that was what they'd (wrongly) try there--and the rest was exactly what we could expect to happen as a result.
The fact that we somehow managed to more or less recover, pick ourselves up and (eventually) restore our balanced control to more or less run out the clock and get the win turned out to be the "surprise ending" this time.
All in all, based on this game and the various other ongoing action and results so far this week, I'd have to say that we are neither "all that good nor all that bad"--worse than I'd hoped coming INTO the season, better than I was more and more thinking we in fact were so far as the season went on.
This is all about getting as much OUT of the season, in terms of experience, growth and TEAM-building, as POSSIBLE...In that way, attaining at least a .500 record and even a mediocre Bowl bid is crucial just in attaining the additional WEEKS of extended experience and practice time.
By the way, it isn't like anyone else has especially impressed me out there so far.
In fact, the programs these so-called "expert commentators" (better described perhaps as "hype-masters") describe as "rising contenders" in truth seem by and large to be beneficiaries of poorly-playing opponents who are GIVING them their leads and eventual victories.
Frankly, general play so far has made the idea of the proposed TWELVE TEAM Playoff a RIDICULOUS JOKE. There currently appear not even to be FOUR, in my view.
I guess that will happen some years--which only makes my concern that 12 was too many all the more germaine.
I wish that "CFB Playoff Committee" would meet and more publicly air, consider and openly discuss the options expressed arriving at and voting ON the final format. And do NOT let MONEY be the only, or even the main deciding factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema