• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread Week 1: Florida Gators vs #8 Utah Utes 9/3/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Believe it or not, the stat lines looked rather similar to last year’s game against Alabama. The slight differences: a timely interception, better rushing, and half the penalty yards.

Escambia94

Fun fact: In only one game Billy Napier has as many wins against top-ten teams as FSU coach Mike Norvell in three years!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That was a great game. We are building something good.
Sure was--and we sure seem to be.
To pull it out after all the mistakes and setbacks, from that early fumble to the missed tackles and careless, ill-timed penalties along the way, showed a whole LOT of things: Above all, great resilience and determination.
This team will grow quickly and steadily under BIlly and his staff, I think. We're young, so I don't know how consistent we'll be early on--but our Coach will prepare them well, have them ready to adapt and respond.
It'll be a game-by-game process, with new mistakes to be made and lessons to be learned.
There'll definitely be ups and downs: We WON'T win every game. But we WILL improve, and I think evolve into a force to be reckoned with before this season is over.
We got the right guy, who's got us on the right path, and who will have us back among the elite, competing for Championships in relatively short order.

Escambia94

In case you were wondering, the celebration baton is a gimmick that Napier brought from Louisiana. It is basically a drum major’s baton, as if we are striking up the band.

Edit: The correct term is mace. A baton is for the drum majorettes to twirl. The drum major’s mace is for guiding the band.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks--I WAS wondering about that (as in "What's THAT thing? Where'd IT come from?")
...And it DOES have a "Mardi Gras" look and vibe to it, now that I think about it...

Escambia94

The updated FPI rankings puts the Gators at #24. Utah falls to #19. This does not always track the polls, but it gives us an idea.

Grading the Gators:
- Offense A-. Richardson managed his arsenal like a veteran. Napier called a conservative game against a superior opponent in a soggy environment, so he might be forgiven for not asking to put the ball in the air for 250+ yards when Richardson has the ball in his hands and was able to run at will. We will see what his arm looks like against Kentucky.

- Defense B+. The defensive line starters looked good against Utah’s top-10 offensive line but there is a significant dropoff with the second team.

- Special teams C. The kick returners need to take the fair catch. The returners did average close to 20 yards, but a fair catch would yield free yardage.

I will go ahead and lock the thread to keep the focus on discussion leading to to the game, during the game, and immediately after. Feel free to start a new thread for further discussions on Florida’s week 1 performance against Utah.

Attachments

• 4C09C883-1A62-4361-86F7-BEE0C8512B99.jpeg
    4C09C883-1A62-4361-86F7-BEE0C8512B99.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Still find it difficult to put a whole lot of faith in a system that more or less ignores direct results in favor of continued stress on complex numetrics--even after those "actual results" have proven otherwise.
Sorry. I'll just stick with "NEXT!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema