• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 1: Florida Gators 53, Charleston Southern Buccaneers 6 9/1/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wasted series. Man, ALL too much like the little-missed Gator NON-offense of the last 9 seasons

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's an eg of "beating yourselves from the sidelines"...as in, "I got an idea: Let's call the opposite of what was working so far!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Fortunately, at least in this one the D can hide the O's mistakes...But we need to at least start to show a "killer's instinct" against lesser teams. And our fans in the Swamp are STARVED for something like that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I guess Mullens WANTS to see Franks leading some "grinding" drives. Running that game clock fast, at least. Coupla more of these, cashed in, and we can start subbing liberally in the 3rd.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Time was, not long ago, I'd be afraid I was "jinxing" us to say anything LIKE that last comment. Really not getting ANY sign that's a danger here. And THAT may be the best sign of all!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dontcha get the feeling we could put it in tgere at any time? And there it is!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm telling ya, so far this has gotta be EXACTLY what Coach had in mind for Franks and the offense here. As they warm up and get in sync, settle in comfortably, it is looking easier and easier.
Hard to tell how weak this opposition is: NEITHER O or D is giving them ANY room. If Charleston Southern turns out to be "pretty good" after all as the season goes on, well, maybe E-'s 12-0 reg season "possibility" not such a reach after all.
Defense has held 'em to ZERO YARDS, and our offense is looking like a MACHINE out there tonight.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, "having fun" indeed.
When Phillipe Franks executes play after play, makes the smart reads and calls all the way down the field, then finishes it all off with the "Tebow Jump Pass" for the TD, ya gotta just sigh and relax: Now it's ALL about getting game reps, not getting hurt, and holding onto the shutout.
May be a "patsy", but that has been no guarantee of our looking like much of anything over the last few years. We'll find out for sure as the weeks go on,and there'll be bumps and growing pains to survive, but this sure as hell LOOKS like a for real sea change in every way.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damn. That's what young, starting-to-get-cocky teams do: Get sloppy at the end of a half they have TOTALLY dominated--and then give away a near-70yard run when pursuit breaks down and freelancing defenders get outta position.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Might be a GOOD thing: Gives Coaches some important things to work with, warn them, break some potential bad habits...

awebbf5

VIP Member
We hired the right guy, which I called for him the last 2 hirings but this is gator football. The swamp sounds awesome again. Cant wait until my trip to be there against Missouri.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Perfect. Blocked: Coaches STILL get an opportunity to ream the players for the one breakdown--but still a shutout.
That's the half... So: Go to Trask pretty early in 3rd? And when does the freshman "QB of the Future" get some SWAMP reps?
But overall, gotta say it: Couldn't have asked for more from them here...and yes, they looked GOOD. Best in a long time.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Loved watching/listening to "The Cadillac", Cris Collinsworth talk about HIS time at UF--which also happened to well-overlap with MY time there, btw. Kind of freaked me to see that footage of him as a QB his freshman year throwing the "longest pass in Gator history"--IN B & W, for God's sake...musta been one of those "kinescopes", a filmed 16mm of a color telecast--we did have color TV back then, folks. Actually a good thing it WAS done that way. Station TAPE was (is STILL) often bulk-erased for reuse, so we prob wouldn't have had that "clip" otherwise...When I took Cinematography at UF, our cameras were the same Bollingers and Belle&Howell news cameras that the athletic department and local sports news used...we used old fashioned clip'n'glue editing machines to cut our films. I can tell you it's a WHOLE lot different EVERYWHERE now...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, guys, I can't remember when I last said this mid-3rd qrtr, but we are clearly WAY past having this one "put away"...Hell, it was already "preserve the shutout" time in the FIRST HALF!!!
SO I will soon join the rest of you "out'n'about", with just mostly one eye on the game from here on out...Am hungry, too (passed on meeting disappointed Longhorn friends for barbecue 'cause I KNEW the neighborhood "Poke Jo's" WOULDN'T have this game on a screen, and hard to happily monitor on my phone with them moping about the way THEIR season started (again!)...But I might order by phone and slip by there in the 4th.
Talk to y'all soon, and SEE ya next Sat!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We hired the right guy, which I called for him the last 2 hirings but this is gator football. The swamp sounds awesome again. Cant wait until my trip to be there against Missouri.
Same here, on both points. This time the proof seems to be right out there on the field, though. If we can keep improving, this could ne a fun season after all.
Now, Kentucky will be a tougher "oughtta win" than THIS one turned out to be--but we get back some good ones that were missing tonight, too. Have a good feeling, though: I believe Mullens will keep them on an even keel.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Definitely--but for the first time in a long time, I'm NOT filled with pessimistic trepidation that "this could finally be the one where they get us..." In fact, even LAST year I felt like (and SAID afterwards) "that was the one they had the best chance in a LONG time of beating us", when it was over...And it DOES seem that we have finally, definitely and truly begun to improve. Cause for hope, though, not arrogance: We need to expect from ourselves what we expect from our players...poise, balance, patience and composure. Above all, CLASS. One more way I too think Mullen might finally be exactly the right guy for us, finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema