• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Tennessee @ Florida - 9/17: WIN 33 - 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

awebbf5

VIP Member
we have to get this young secondary to quit freaking holding these jerseys, thank god julio jones is gone from alabama.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They KNOW it's being called ridiculously close, but now they're just grabbing "when in doubt" ANYWAY--it DOES suck!
Dropped picks, dumb penalties--THIS one is uncatchable, but watch, they'll call it "holding" and it'll stand...THEY CAN'T DO THIS!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We kicked their @$$es, and we are STILL holding on by the fingernails--BLOOPER pass--PICK! FINALLY! Game. Over.
KEE-Righteous! That was the worst "Easy Win" I've ever witnessed!

awebbf5

VIP Member
rainey is a freaking beast, just hope he can make it thru the season , were gonna have to rely on him heavily.

awebbf5

VIP Member
it was ugly but to me any win over tennessee is sweet, Rocky Flop you will always be gator country to me.

travisduncan

Gator Fan
Good game for the Gators not perfect but defense had some incredible plays. I'll have the reaction from the coaches and players and other tidbits from the victory later tonight be sure to check it out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I mean, we may be facing this kind of scrutiny the rest of the year once the rest of the SEC officials get wind of this--and you KNOW opposing coaches will be WORKIN' them every game now.
Thing is, we KNOW the coaches were already ON these guys regarding penalties, and it's almost like they KIND of cleared up most of the procedural and dumb, retaliatory "hothead" penalties--and found a NEW way to REALLY "shoot themselves in the foot" again and AGAIN...the first few were questionable, "borderline" at best (Muschamp was LIVID over there talking to the back judge I think it was at the end of the half), but they seemed to just surrender to it in the 2nd half--as I noted then, instead of being MORE careful, the backs seemed to cross a point where they began to just blatantly grab the receivers on their way by, rather than play proper coverage...if this really was a case of "F*ck it, they got it IN for us so just keep 'em from going by and take the penalty", well, on the one hand that IS pretty correctable, not a case of not-enough-talent, but at the same time it's ALSO pretty damn childish, sulky schoolyard stuff...on the OTHER hand, if it's a matter of them being exposed as "just-not-good-enough", I don't know that there is that much our coaches can DO...they can disguise coverages, and design all kinds of blitzes to get our emergingly NASTY front-few bringin' the HURT, but there are at least a couple of teams that will go after (and probably damage) that secondary unless they can both perform in coverage successfully (and LEGALLY), AND actually hold onto those picks when fortune (and pressure from our "D"-line) hands them those chances. Those are "gifts" you NEVER should turn down (or, if you prefer--said in a low, quiet voice--"An offer you can't refuse...").
SO--for next week:
(1) I don't know how, but the Coaches have GOT to find a way to get these secondary-guys' heads straight--with so little depth (and yes, here is where we miss gone-Jenkins' senior leadership at LEAST as much as his skills--but his skills TOO) we don't have any other option but to somehow "reboot" and go again with the same line up, different execution-and-result...they are NOT untalented (we've got some really GOOD players back there, just not ENOUGH of 'em), but that kind of late-game seeming surrender-to-circumstances is disappointing--and just plain unacceptable; that will be one fearsome film-session, I'd wager. They WERE getting tired in the 4th, Kentucky is going to go after that same secondary, but if our guys can LEARN and do better ( a LOT better), we can stop them early and often, so that we aren't IN that situation too often late in the game... and as I said in that 4th qrtr., "Tip Drill" this week--in fact, Coach M is on the radio now and is talking (humorously) about "leading the nation" in dropped interception opportunities...no such stat, but if there were...
(2) STILL getting dumb procedural flags on offense, especially on 1st and 2nd downs inside the redzone--and that's just one more small PART of our continued difficulties inside that 'zone...Our OFFENSE is the reason we didn''t just WIN this thing in the first half--or at least make it so that pick, then drive-for-6 to start the 2nd half would have fairly well ended any suspense regarding the outcome.
Finally, I believe this point is related to the redzone problem, but whether it is or not, Brantley has STILL shown NO aptitude for EITHER the touch-passes close-in OR the in-stride long-one. (I think it was awebbf5 who 1st proposed how much better Bray is than Brantley...but almost every starting QB in the SEC can throw those throws more reliably and consistently than OUR guy) Hey, Charlie, if you've got any magic you haven't ALREADY tried here, you may want to pull it out...0r if it's just "still under wraps" until you NEED it, might be a good idea to dust it off, make sure it's well-oiled and working smoothy on-demand by seeing it out there and actually WORKING this coming week--against another SEC-defense BEFORE going up against some of the TOUGHEST ones in October.
One thing I think we can conclude soon: if we DO go another week without seeing #12 trying even ONE of those "hit-'em-in-stride, homerun throws", it is because Weis knows he doesn't HAVE it in his inventory--something that would amaze me to have to finally accept, btw, because by all accounts Brantley USED to be able to do. It's one of the things, part of that "dazzlingly strong-armed and accurate pure-pocket-passer" image that got him here as the Tebow-"heir-apparent" in the first place...hell, didn't we see him do this OURSELVES back in '09 when he'd come in for TT in the 4th qrtr.?
Well, that's the breakdown, as I see it. Would like to hear all your thoughts.

robdog

Gator Fan
The stupid penalties are going to be corrected. TONS of film to go over that is for sure. But the offense, BOOM, loved it!

Are we ready for the big dogs in the SEC, not yet. But we are CLOSE!

awebbf5

VIP Member
I mean, we may be facing this kind of scrutiny the rest of the year once the rest of the SEC officials get wind of this--and you KNOW opposing coaches will be WORKIN' them every game now.
Thing is, we KNOW the coaches were already ON these guys regarding penalties, and it's almost like they KIND of cleared up most of the procedural and dumb, retaliatory "hothead" penalties--and found a NEW way to REALLY "shoot themselves in the foot" again and AGAIN...the first few were questionable, "borderline" at best (Muschamp was LIVID over there talking to the back judge I think it was at the end of the half), but they seemed to just surrender to it in the 2nd half--as I noted then, instead of being MORE careful, the backs seemed to cross a point where they began to just blatantly grab the receivers on their way by, rather than play proper coverage...if this really was a case of "F*ck it, they got it IN for us so just keep 'em from going by and take the penalty", well, on the one hand that IS pretty correctable, not a case of not-enough-talent, but at the same time it's ALSO pretty damn childish, sulky schoolyard stuff...on the OTHER hand, if it's a matter of them being exposed as "just-not-good-enough", I don't know that there is that much our coaches can DO...they can disguise coverages, and design all kinds of blitzes to get our emergingly NASTY front-few bringin' the HURT, but there are at least a couple of teams that will go after (and probably damage) that secondary unless they can both perform in coverage successfully (and LEGALLY), AND actually hold onto those picks when fortune (and pressure from our "D"-line) hands them those chances. Those are "gifts" you NEVER should turn down (or, if you prefer--said in a low, quiet voice--"An offer you can't refuse...").
SO--for next week:
(1) I don't know how, but the Coaches have GOT to find a way to get these secondary-guys' heads straight--with so little depth (and yes, here is where we miss gone-Jenkins' senior leadership at LEAST as much as his skills--but his skills TOO) we don't have any other option but to somehow "reboot" and go again with the same line up, different execution-and-result...they are NOT untalented (we've got some really GOOD players back there, just not ENOUGH of 'em), but that kind of late-game seeming surrender-to-circumstances is disappointing--and just plain unacceptable; that will be one fearsome film-session, I'd wager. They WERE getting tired in the 4th, Kentucky is going to go after that same secondary, but if our guys can LEARN and do better ( a LOT better), we can stop them early and often, so that we aren't IN that situation too often late in the game... and as I said in that 4th qrtr., "Tip Drill" this week--in fact, Coach M is on the radio now and is talking (humorously) about "leading the nation" in dropped interception opportunities...no such stat, but if there were...
(2) STILL getting dumb procedural flags on offense, especially on 1st and 2nd downs inside the redzone--and that's just one more small PART of our continued difficulties inside that 'zone...Our OFFENSE is the reason we didn''t just WIN this thing in the first half--or at least make it so that pick, then drive-for-6 to start the 2nd half would have fairly well ended any suspense regarding the outcome.
Finally, I believe this point is related to the redzone problem, but whether it is or not, Brantley has STILL shown NO aptitude for EITHER the touch-passes close-in OR the in-stride long-one. (I think it was awebbf5 who 1st proposed how much better Bray is than Brantley...but almost every starting QB in the SEC can throw those throws more reliably and consistently than OUR guy) Hey, Charlie, if you've got any magic you haven't ALREADY tried here, you may want to pull it out...0r if it's just "still under wraps" until you NEED it, might be a good idea to dust it off, make sure it's well-oiled and working smoothy on-demand by seeing it out there and actually WORKING this coming week--against another SEC-defense BEFORE going up against some of the TOUGHEST ones in October.
One thing I think we can conclude soon: if we DO go another week without seeing #12 trying even ONE of those "hit-'em-in-stride, homerun throws", it is because Weis knows he doesn't HAVE it in his inventory--something that would amaze me to have to finally accept, btw, because by all accounts he USED to do. It's one of the things, part of that "dazzlingly strong-armed and accurate pure-pocket-passer" image that got him here as the Tebow-"heir-apparent" in the first place...hell, didn't we see him do this OURSELVES back in '09 when he'd come in for TT in the 4th qrtr.?
Well, that's the breakdown, as I see it. Would like to hear all your thoughts.

nope not me that said it.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
nope not me that said it.
Sorry, man--it was a member who posted a few times in-game (jamestoney84, back on p. 5), that time in between a couple of comments between several of us near the end of the 3rd qrtr., and I guess in the fast-flow of the game action I just thought it was you, then didn't go back thru' it all to verify like a true journalist might do ("just gettin' the facts right"), but I didn't. Lazy, I guess--I didn't really feel like going back thru' it all NOW and getting it straight--hell, I didn't even want to go thru' MY whole quote to find exactly what YOU were referring to (I had a general idea) but oh well I did.
BTW, might be interesting to put up a poll here to see what members think regarding our QB's capabilities:
"Brantley is ready to run and execute which of the following pass plays?"
(1) Only the flat pass, quick, short over-the-middle passes, and various screens.
(2) #1, plus sideline out, plus medium-long pass to middle-zone.
(3) #1 and #2, plus long passes such as fly, hook and go, etc.--BUT he will tend to check down out of 'em too quickly, so tho' he CAN throw these, his "head" is preventing him from doing all he could do (and will sooner or later hurt team).
(4) #1, #2, and all the passes in #3--and the only reason he hasn't is that Weis has ENCOURAGED him to go with the Rainey-or-TE option in the early game plans, and as this soon changes #12 CAN and WILL "stretch the field".
Whatta ya think?

awebbf5

VIP Member
Sorry, man--it was a member who only posted that one time (jamestoney84, back on p. 5), in between a couple of comments between several of us near the end of the 3rd qrtr., and I guess in the fast-flow of the game action I just thought it was you, then didn't go back thru' it all to verify like a true journalist might do ("just gettin' the facts right"), but I didn't. Lazy, I guess--I didn't even really feel like going back thru' it all NOW and getting it straight--hell, I didn't even want to go thru' MY whole quote to find exactly what YOU were referring to (I had a general idea) but oh well I did.
BTW, might be interesting to put up a poll here to see what members think regarding our QB's capabilities:
"Brantley is ready to run and execute which of the following pass plays?"
(1) Only the flat pass, quick, short over-the-middle passes, and various screens.
(2) #1, plus sideline out, plus medium-long pass to middle-zone.
(3) #1 and #2, plus long passes such as fly, hook and go, etc.--BUT he will tend to check down out of 'em too quickly, so tho' he CAN throw these, his "head" is preventing him from doing all he could do (and will sooner or later hurt team).
(4) #1, #2, and all the passes in #3--and the only reason he hasn't is that Weis has ENCOURAGED him to go with the Rainey-or-TE option in the early game plans, and as this soon changes #12 CAN and WILL "stretch the field".
Whatta ya think?
i go with 4. I think charlie is just building his confidence slowly.

mjfan23

VIP Member
Charlie has said the number one thing he had to work on with brantley is his confidence... Get him some completions early in the season and lets see where it goes.

I do agree tho at some point we have to find a deep threat. Rainey and Demps are going to get smothered vs big time teams if we dont.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
i go with 4. I think charlie is just building his confidence slowly.

...Hope you're right (worries me that we STILL don't know for sure...normal inclination AND pessimistic analytical outlook would dictate assuming #3 by now without evidence otherwise, but #4 IS still possible--even likely, if one takes OPTIMISTIC view of Weis own words and past performance).
I'm thinking it might be fun and interesting to put this "Poll" up alone on its own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema