• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My thoughts on National Signing Day

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
OK, it looks like the "meat-and-potatoes" of this year's class has been signed, and based on what I've been reading from random lurkings the reaction is mixed - ranging anywhere from clear thinking and optimism to the Negative Nancies crying in their cornflakes.

As far as I see things, sure we had room to sign at least four more recruits, but we could possibly sign another in the next two weeks, from what I've been reading. The quantity may have been missing, but the quality sure isn't.

Before anybody starts ripping on Coach Meyer for this year's class, let me say this - he addressed immediate roster needs this year, especially on the offensive line with Xavier Nixon, Nick Alajajian, and a HUGE one in Gary Brown. Jelani Jenkins was a huge signee, especially given the fact that both two of our returning linebackers will be seniors this fall - not to mention that Jon Bostic has enrolled early. Andre Dubose faces lofty expectations from many fans, especially following in the footsteps of Percy Harvin, but I don't see him disappointing. Unlike the Zooker who seemed to be a little too star-struck and not attentive to other aspects, Meyer addresses the depth chart and adapability in those to whom he makes scholarship offers to - and after the disciplinary issues we've had has, I'm inclined to think, considered the character of these recruits.

Other schools, especially a certain one in Knoxville, can boast all they want about luring two of our commitments away from Gainesville. The moment of truth will take place on the playing field, and if they're expecting miracles right off the bat from this class and Lane Kiffin they're in for a rude awakening. With a few exceptions, teams in transition aren't overnight successes, and don't be surprised to see the backlash hit Kiffin & Co. this fall.

Another area to consider is academics; sure other schools may have signed some prize recruits, but will all of them qualify academically? Another feather-in-the-cap for Meyer: this is also another consideration in his offering scholarships to recruits. To not have a recruit qualify because of grades, SAT/ACT scores and be forced to go to JUCO to make the grades necessary to enroll is futile, don't you think?

It's not all about the stars Rivals and Scout assigns to a recruit either; it's also the coaching that matters. Forgive me if I may be preaching to the choir, but as much as the Zook-apologist remnants still present in our fanbase like to crow about his recruiting abilities, he couldn't coach, control or motivate his players - some have said that he's one of the biggest wasters of talent out there, and I say so as well.

As far as we're concerned 2009 should be considered more-or-less a "reloading" year for us. That being said though, 2010 will be more crucial as far as recruiting is concerned, given the number of graduating seniors we'll have. I have full faith in Coach Meyer that he'll have things covered; as of right now we have four verbals for next year's class so Gator Nation need not fret.

Tomorrow night I'll be attending a Q&A session with "Hollywood Bob" Redman sponsored by the Central Florida Gator Club; I'm anxious to hear his thoughts on this year's recruiting class and what he sees in store for us come this fall. I'll post something about it on Friday.

GO GATORS!!!!!!! :gator::gator::gator:

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
O-town Gator,

I could not agree with you more!

I think the Gators filled the major spots that needed filling. I am confident that the guys that Myer brought on board will have an impact this year with the run for a National Title Repeat!

Go Gators!

shandsgator8

VIP Member
For the most part, we're a pretty young team. I think that played a major part as to why we weren't a top 3 recruiting team this year.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Great evaluation O-tG. In the Q&A, see if they make mention on what kind of negative influence having so many of our players returning affected our overall recruiting. For that matter what is your take on that?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Great evaluation O-tG. In the Q&A, see if they make mention on what kind of negative influence having so many of our players returning affected our overall recruiting. For that matter what is your take on that?

So many of these kids want to play right away, and that's one reason why they may pick one school over another. The ones who are a little more sensible and realize that they may have to wait a year before seeing some playing time go head-first into making their commitment. In a way that may have had a bearing on the size of this year's class, but in 2010 that should not be an issue.

If some of these recruits are only looking for a "stepping-stone" to the NFL, meaning that their intent is to play two or three years at the college level and then declare for the draft, they may not look favorably on UF considering the emphasis Urban Meyer puts on our players completing their degrees and making a four-year invested commitment to Florida football. If a recruit wants to be at a school where the goal is to win championships, then UF is the place to be right now.

I'm anxious to hear Hollywood Bob's take on all that; I'm sure he'll discuss the size of this year's class among other things.

the quanity was hurt because we only had 16 scholarships to give due to the number of returning players that we have, but the quality outweighs the quanity any day. We got the right players for the positions we needed.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
the quanity was hurt because we only had 16 scholarships to give due to the number of returning players that we have, but the quality outweighs the quanity any day. We got the right players for the positions we needed.

Agreed; if there were any drawbacks this year they would have been the number of wide receivers and cornerbacks signed; no corners (which is a MUST for 2010) and only two receivers (WR Andre Debose and TE Desmond Parks). Coach Meyer likes to have considerable depth in our receiver corps, but then again we have some redshirt freshmen coming in as well.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well I wish the class grade was higher but then again Gators do have a lot of starters (19 of 22) returning.

castawaygator

VIP Member
i agree, we met most of our needs. its hard to get players when most of the starters are returning.

i see too many people getting star crazy, when stars are almost meaningless if the player doesnt qualify or cant play for whatever reason. besides being 5 stars is no guarantee for being a great college player. look at ryan perrilloux (5stars), Mon Williams 4stars or Preston Parker from the SOW 4 stars. they should have been impact players instead they just wasted spots for players that could have made an impact. at least Mon did not have the character issues the other guys had, he could not predict his injuries.

we got brandon james who was a 3 star recruit, and certainly has been a great player.
my point is, regardless of the stars you never know what your gonna get.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
i see too many people getting star crazy, when stars are almost meaningless if the player doesnt qualify or cant play for whatever reason. besides being 5 stars is no guarantee for being a great college player. look at ryan perrilloux (5stars), Mon Williams 4stars or Preston Parker from the SOW 4 stars.

we got brandon james who was a 3 star recruit, and certainly has been a great player.
my point is, regardless of the stars you never know what your gonna get.

Well Perrilloux and Parker were good players but they chose to being idiots. The main two reasons why 5 stars players bust (my opinion) is they can't make the grade or they act like idiots and get arrested. Of course there's injuries (but no one can't control that, it happens) and heavy competition especially in the big schools.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Here is last recruiting seasons "stars"
WR 55 3 stars T.J. Lawrence
(Kathleen Senior HS)
Lakeland, FL 6-1.5/190/4.55
SLB 7 4 stars William Green
(Spain Park HS)
Hoover, AL 6-5/208
DT 2 5 stars Omar Hunter
(Buford HS)
Buford, GA 6-2/297/4.90
CB 23 3 stars Adrian Bushell
(De Soto HS)
Desoto, TX 5-11/175/4.40
WLB 11 4 stars Lerentee McCray
(Dunnellon HS)
Dunnellon, FL 6-2/200/4.50
FB 5 3 stars T.J. Pridemore
(Buford HS)
Buford, GA 6-2/235/4.58
RB 36 4 stars Jeff Demps
(South Lake HS)
Groveland, FL 5-10/180/4.35
OT 4 5 stars Matt Patchan
(Armwood HS)
Seffner, FL 6-7/265/4.70
CB 12 4 stars Janoris Jenkins
(Pahokee HS)
Pahokee, FL 5-11/180/4.45
DE 63 3 stars Sam Robey
(Trinity HS)
Louisville, KY 6-5/270/4.79
WR JC 5 stars Carl Moore
(Sierra)
Rocklin, CA 6-4/220/4.45
OG 47 3 stars Byran Jones
(Nathan Bedford Forrest HS)
Jacksonville, FL 6-2.5/328/5.40
WR 48 4 stars Omarius Hines
(Corsicana HS)
Corsicana, TX 6-1/183/4.50
WR 60 3 stars Frankie Hammond
(Hallandale HS)
Hallandale, FL 6-1/162/4.45
SLB 6 4 stars Brendan Beal
(Liberty HS)
Bethlehem, PA 6-3/240/4.60
DE JC 3 stars Troy Epps
(Coffeyville)
Coffeyville, KS 6-1/270
S 1 5 stars Will Hill
(St. Peters Preparatory School)
Jersey City, NJ 6-3/203/4.50
CB 25 3 stars Jeremy Brown
(Boone HS)
Orlando, FL 5-10/170/4.50
K 2 3 stars Caleb Sturgis
(St. Augustine HS)
Saint Augustine, FL 5-11/180/4.90
S 5 4 stars Dee Finley
(Auburn HS)
Auburn, AL 6-3/205/4.55
DE 28 4 stars Earl Okine
(Gainesville HS)
Gainesville, FL 6-7/235

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Read Urban's Way: Urban Meyer, the Florida Gators, and His Plan to Win and it will give you insight as to why all of your post is absolutely true. UM wants more than athletes--he wants athletes who perform, who challenge themselves, who overcome adversity, and who want to win. UM takes great pride in coaching his players not only in football, but in life. Be sure to read how UM reacted to the loss of Avery Atkins.

OK, it looks like the "meat-and-potatoes" of this year's class has been signed, and based on what I've been reading from random lurkings the reaction is mixed - ranging anywhere from clear thinking and optimism to the Negative Nancies crying in their cornflakes.

As far as I see things, sure we had room to sign at least four more recruits, but we could possibly sign another in the next two weeks, from what I've been reading. The quantity may have been missing, but the quality sure isn't.

Before anybody starts ripping on Coach Meyer for this year's class, let me say this - he addressed immediate roster needs this year, especially on the offensive line with Xavier Nixon, Nick Alajajian, and a HUGE one in Gary Brown. Jelani Jenkins was a huge signee, especially given the fact that both two of our returning linebackers will be seniors this fall - not to mention that Jon Bostic has enrolled early. Andre Dubose faces lofty expectations from many fans, especially following in the footsteps of Percy Harvin, but I don't see him disappointing. Unlike the Zooker who seemed to be a little too star-struck and not attentive to other aspects, Meyer addresses the depth chart and adapability in those to whom he makes scholarship offers to - and after the disciplinary issues we've had has, I'm inclined to think, considered the character of these recruits.

Other schools, especially a certain one in Knoxville, can boast all they want about luring two of our commitments away from Gainesville. The moment of truth will take place on the playing field, and if they're expecting miracles right off the bat from this class and Lane Kiffin they're in for a rude awakening. With a few exceptions, teams in transition aren't overnight successes, and don't be surprised to see the backlash hit Kiffin & Co. this fall.

Another area to consider is academics; sure other schools may have signed some prize recruits, but will all of them qualify academically? Another feather-in-the-cap for Meyer: this is also another consideration in his offering scholarships to recruits. To not have a recruit qualify because of grades, SAT/ACT scores and be forced to go to JUCO to make the grades necessary to enroll is futile, don't you think?

It's not all about the stars Rivals and Scout assigns to a recruit either; it's also the coaching that matters. Forgive me if I may be preaching to the choir, but as much as the Zook-apologist remnants still present in our fanbase like to crow about his recruiting abilities, he couldn't coach, control or motivate his players - some have said that he's one of the biggest wasters of talent out there, and I say so as well.

As far as we're concerned 2009 should be considered more-or-less a "reloading" year for us. That being said though, 2010 will be more crucial as far as recruiting is concerned, given the number of graduating seniors we'll have. I have full faith in Coach Meyer that he'll have things covered; as of right now we have four verbals for next year's class so Gator Nation need not fret.

Tomorrow night I'll be attending a Q&A session with "Hollywood Bob" Redman sponsored by the Central Florida Gator Club; I'm anxious to hear his thoughts on this year's recruiting class and what he sees in store for us come this fall. I'll post something about it on Friday.

GO GATORS!!!!!!! :gator::gator::gator:

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Here is last recruiting seasons "stars"

With the exception of Demps, Green, Patchan, Janoris Jenkins, Hill & Sturgis the rest were either redshirted, played on special teams or are lower on the depth chart. Even so, the rest not mentioned are works in progress.

The four-star players are, for the most part, playing up to their worth, and I hold high hopes for Sturgis - especially based on what I saw him capable of doing at last year's O&B game.

Read Urban's Way: Urban Meyer, the Florida Gators, and His Plan to Win and it will give you insight as to why all of your post is absolutely true. UM wants more than athletes--he wants athletes who perform, who challenge themselves, who overcome adversity, and who want to win. UM takes great pride in coaching his players not only in football, but in life. Be sure to read how UM reacted to the loss of Avery Atkins.

I've read the book several times already, and I strongly recommend it for any true Gator fan. Urban Meyer has put all his heart into Florida football and is seeing his vision for the program come to fruition after four years as head coach. The Avery Atkins loss was a very emotional one for him and always will be; both he, Shelley and our coaching staff did all they could to try and help him in spite of the fact that he was dismissed from the team. That shows how much he cares about the players who he comes in touch with; as critical as he may be of their on-field performance or other factors pertaining to his players, he deeply cares about them and promises them "I will never quit on you."

Drew Miller made an interesting comment about some of the changes Meyer has brought about in a 2008 interview:

"School wise if your GPA wasn't where he thought it should be you had mandatory tutor hours – no exceptions. The worse your GPA was, the more hours you had to spend with the tutor and if you didn't do it, you knew you were going to get punished. It wasn't smoke and mirrors with him. He said how important it was to leave Florida with a degree and he backed it up. Little things like that. Even if a player didn't care about school or getting a degree, Meyer made them care because it was harder to go through the punishment than it was to work to get your GPA up. Things like making us part of his family – one big family. I never saw a coach's family until coach Meyer came in. After that, I've met every single wife and kid. I've been to three or four coach's houses, I've been to my position coach's house multiple times. Hung out with their kids. The family feeling was definitely a big part of what he [Meyer] wanted to bring to Florida. It's nice to have a home away from home."

If I had a kid who was a college prospect and was offered a scholarship from Urban Meyer, I'd strongly encourage him to commit to UF based on hearing that. How could a recruit and especially a parent not see that as a positive? I'd rather have my kid play for a coach like Meyer who takes more of an in loco parentis approach over somebody who doesn't emphazise academics, working towards a degree and staying out of trouble.

It's about football, winning championships, getting an education and living your life right at Florida - not just an interlude before NFL draft eligibility. That's why our staff recruited the way they did.

Gator Duck

Gator Fan
I am not at all concerned about recruiting while Meyer is here. I totally agree with you OTG that the coaching is at least, if not more important. For example, look what Spurrier did with QB recruits that were totally off the radar.

A lot of people get caught up in the number of stars and quantity signed without looking at the big picture. And it's not always that there level of conprehension rivals the 'ol zooker. Most have just never bothered to get into it.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I am not at all concerned about recruiting while Meyer is here. I totally agree with you OTG that the coaching is at least, if not more important. For example, look what Spurrier did with QB recruits that were totally off the radar.

Most recent example: Rex Grossman. Not highly recruited, but SOS had him playing at a level well beyond his assessment - that is, until the zooker came in and let discipline go lax. Then Rexy's priorities shifted from the Fun n' Gun to the Booze and Broads.

SOS himself was a QB, so in a way that position was his forte. Besides Grossman, he was able to work well with Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer, Shane Matthews, and last but not least Danny Wuerffel.

With the right coaching, a player can perform beyond expectations.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema