• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MY Gut Level “Bottom Line”

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am sick to death of all the extreme static and wild ignorance being purveyed as “commentary” out there of late.
All I have left that at this point are a few points that frankly would have likely sparked at least some degree of doubt in me in one case, and outright dismissal in the other, just a few days ago—but now I propose them only as “among a very few things that are GAINING CLARITY now, it seems” (at least from my P.O.V.):
(1) When all is said and done, now that Grantham is gone, I am hoping we retain Mullen for at least one more season.
(2) If we WERE to lose Mullen (however that were to occur—and both potential causes and situational realities there are legion), of all the myriad candidates discussed and proposed, I find myself at least at the moment more and more seriously considering only one—and he is admittedly, in many ways, the “wildest longshot”:
Lane Kiffen.
I’m NOT going to going to go into all my reasoning (logical OR intuitive) here; there’s been more than enough of both.
I’ve now given y’all my “safest route” recommendation, AND my “if all else fails and we find ourselves faced with our worst-case”-scenario (which is where I believe we’ll be if/when we soon find ourselves season-over and minus a Head Coach) staring us down.
And that about sums up how absurdly out-of-whack things have gotten with this team and season—that these are the “choices” my “gut”, or “intuitive” analysis has come up with. Even I find myself wondering, “Am I CRAZY?”
Not so much the first part (though many out there might disagree, at this point).
But the second? Kiffen, of all people?
But remember: this would be given an extreme situation.
I am beginning to think that, GIVEN the details of this particular set of circumstances, ANY move would have to be BOLD one of it were to have ANY chance of a positive result!
Lane would be an enormous “roll-of-the-dice”, probably the LEAST “safe alternative”—but given everything, that’s what my GUT at least is saying.
I can’t offer more than that:
Essentially one “extreme” or the other.
I expect to be excoriated for it; go ahead, have AT it, oh my brothers. I am beyond calm, reason or logic now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Agreed. Mullen gets one year at least to prove that he has grown and can become the CEO types of coach that Florida needs.
You’ve suggested this “step up” in his evolving development as Head Coach on Mullen’s part before—that he become the “CEO type of Coach that Florida needs”...and I think I understand what you mean. Of course, THAT means that he recognizes his need for a SLEW of talented assistants to be brought in to help him—that they are out there and that he can GET them, bring them into the fold, delegate responsibility and FAST.
It’s a tall order—but if he pulls it off, things ARE suddenly looking a whole lot better.
And it still hold more promise right now than some “rabbit-from-a-hat” sudden wholesale change-at-the-TOP!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'm 50-50, One hand Mullen was a shoe throw and an INT that turned into a fumble away from going to the playoffs though if they lose the next two games well............

Keep in mind, Muschamp got another season after a 4-8 season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Lane Kiffen???!!?? We have officially lost our minds.
Lol
Yes—Crazy. But things have already gotten well and true “away from us” at this point.
Whatever Dan Mullen may ONCE have done with this offense (one HE BUILT, btw), he sure as HELL seemed to have forgotten, or at the very least ABANDONED it all today!
As for the Lane Kiffen thing, well, admittedly I am “grasping at flying objects” as they shoot by, at this point. In fact, we can either discuss it or throw it away, turn our attention to something else if you have one to throw out there—but it might as WELL be something EQUALLY as radical in its “shock and awe” at this point.
There IS no “soft landing” for this flaming mess!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm 50-50, One hand Mullen was a shoe throw and an INT that turned into a fumble away from going to the playoffs though if they lose the next two games well............

Keep in mind, Muschamp got another season after a 4-8 season.
You make good points, LF—especially that last one.
I dunno...I am ALL OVER THE PLACE with all of this at this point, obviously.
But today was disheartening, to say the least. I couldn’t hardly watch the little that I DID:
I really DID see the LOSS coming by halftime—even though we’d out-played them, by the 4th quarter we had more chances to win the damn thing, to pull it out and pull away, than we deserved—but Mullen repeatedly SHIED AWAY from confidence, belief in his team. You could SEE him doing all he COULD to “snatch defeat from the jaws of victory”! As I said at the time, it is called “playing not to LOSE”...
There’s a special hell for Coaches who do that—and we’re IN it WITH him!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Leakfan12,
And another thing, Lf..
It’s a few hours later (since MIZZOU’s Coach showed the balls LACKING in Our Coach), and by now you’ve no doubt seen it too, unless you shut EVERYTHING down and haven’t come up again since:
So by now you GOTTA be as sick of what will again only be getting worse and worse, thicker and THICKER from here—the way we CONTINUE to provide plenty of material for EVERYONE ELSE’S wonderful tales of heroic triumph.
Personally, I’m starting to resent Mullen JUST FOR THAT!

miltongator

Gator Fan
I believe Urban made a call and said "Dan, I need some help here. If you want your foot in the door in the NFL, come join me". Dan's thinking all I need to do is get fired and take my 12 mil to Jax.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I believe Urban made a call and said "Dan, I need some help here. If you want your foot in the door in the NFL, come join me". Dan's thinking all I need to do is get fired and take my 12 mil to Jax.
Lol
Oh, that is just so cynical, mg.
But FUNNY—and possibly even tinged in (“stinking of”) truth?
The reality that this is at the very least the actual kind of situation we see now again and again is what is starting to really turn me off about college football.
I stopped watching the NFL some years back due to the cold truths of the growing financial realities surrounding the “talented entertainers” who manage to “matriculate” out of their scholastic servitude and into a shallow “paradise” reminiscent of what suicide bombers are supposedly promised on the other side of their “service to Allah”.
Now it is all trickling down to the college game—and instead of “justice” we get what?
“Transfer portals” and “image rights”, and “Oh, by the way: NONE OF IT belongs to students, fans OR alumni anymore.”
No, THAT’S all gone the same way as the pros supposedly playing for a particular CITY’S team.
I suppose it should come as little surprise. Everyone is out for themselves, PERIOD—from Day One...or you’re a chump for thinking otherwise.
Well. I really killed the HELL out of THAT joke, didn’t I?
Sorry. Maybe I should just delete everything after “...But FUNNY” above...
Did I mention that I am REALLY DOWN right now? That this season, and now finally witnessing a Coach I liked and backed, in seeming uncaring callousness just wave a white flag, repeatedly say “F*ck it!” and play it as bland and devoid of commitment-to-ANYTHING as I have EVER SEEN out there?!!
I am actually at the point of questioning my devotion to all this—to the one team and sport that I have, after a lifetime of playing and watching and cheering it all, been over time LEFT with as my sole remaining such attachment.
So I have a lot on the line here.
I NEED a “lifeline”. Someone/SomeTHING to give me hope, bring me back from this brink. And so far, I not only don’t see it, I don’t even SENSE IT ON THE HORIZON.
Not in the SLIGHTEST.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema