• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Muschamp's first recruiting victory: Jeff Driskel

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Muschamp just earned one billion cool points by calling incoming QB Jeff Driskel and his family.

One of Muschamp’s first priorities after getting the job Saturday was checking in with Oviedo-Hagerty quarterback Jeff Driskel. Driskel, who committed to Florida in April.
Muschamp made a strong impression on Driskel and his family in their phone call, and Driskel’s mother said he remains intent on joining the Gators.

“He’s fully committed,” Mary Driskel said. “He got his classes set up. He’s on his way.”

Source: Gator Bytes blog: University of Florida | The Palm Beach Post » Blog Archive » QB recruit Jeff Driskel spoke with Will Muschamp, still committed to Gators

crmixon

Gator Fan
Well there's one less worry. It seems that Muschamp is cognizant of the possible recruiting fall out from Urban leaving and is moving to shore up the class.

I wonder if he will be on the sideline druing the bowl game?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

This was necessary, right and good..."cool points" indeed.
I mentioned yesterday how I thought that Applewhite should even show up at Driskell's door in a day or two and "close the deal", make sure he KNOWS how much he's valued.
So I suppose this is as good a place as any to drop this latest "tidbit" of belated intelligence:
I got in late Sunday night and just concluded a review of the results of a specific "scan-run" by that Gator-search-engine I've mentioned, this one tasked with scooping up any talk of the filling of positions in the new Gator coaching team, and some of what's come back is interesting.
Now, I'm not saying it won't still happen, but it turns out the Applewhite hire at OC is NOT official as of yet; according to Sunday's Austin American Statesman (and this continues to be reported overnight on their website) it has been offered, but he hasn't signed anything and UT is reportedly making a bid to "keep him in the fold", probably for the same position (OC).
Meanwhile, the same story and several other sources say that Okla. State's Dana Horgorsen has also been approached for the same position (ie.OC at UF), but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, while acknowledging this too, maintains he is being considered for the Pitt Head Coaching job; the assumption there is that he would choose that over the Florida job.
There are a lot of other possibilities popping up out there having to do with the filling out of the Gator staff, who will come with Muschamp from the Longhorns and some of his other stops, who might be retained from the current Gator staff (not surprisingly, sounds like they don't want to lose Mariotti), but the only other major hire that's mentioned is one that we've already heard about: Kirby Smart from Alabama, a tight friend of Muschamp's, seems to be the only guy being considered so far for DC.
This OC hire, so important from the moment the Head Coach was announced, may be turning out as the toughest part of this whole process, fraught with twists, turns and intrigue before we learn who it's gonna be.
Get a good one, Will: It's about time Gator Nation got to see things opened up out there on offense again, and it'll make your D's job easier as well!

Escambia94

Yeah. I saw that piece on Applewhite. Even my regular five-source comparison "verified" that it was a done deal, then I see a local piece here in Texas that Applewhite might get a counter offer at Texas.

Either way, having Muschamp is a good sign that we might gain a few Texas recruits to balance the Florida recruits we lose. No idea how many coaches will remain.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Driskel was a lock. It's gonna take a lot to bring in a decent class. Our recruiting class from last year was so stacked that it scared off a lot of new recruits even while Meyer was the coach. Now that Muschamp is in he has to familiarize himself with these players quick, convince them the program is steady, and get them to sign as Gators.

Escambia94

I believe there is no such thing as a lock. Maybe Driskel has bled orange and blue since he was in diapers, but the fact remains that those who recruited him no longer control the team next year, assuming Addazio is not retained as OC. I can't believe I fell for that trap of believing the headlines on Applewhite.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think we've gained "entrance" to the Texas recruiting trail to some extent no matter what, now.
As for who we get to lead and run the Offense: WHOEVER it is, the main thing about this OC-hire from MY point-of-view, beyond all the details and labels, is that I long for it to be FUN to watch again.
One of the great things about the college game (and, in addition to my devotion to the Gators, THIS is one of the main factors that keep me watching games and highlights all weekend, far into the night) IS the spectacle of great playmakers in imaginative offenses going up against shut-down defenses in various schemes, adaptations and wrinkles, searching for and sometimes finding surprising new ways to break though.
Whomever "the guy" turns out to be, that's what I want to see him build, THAT'S what I hope he'll be shooting for. Given that goal, I figure the rest will take care of itself.

Escambia94

Fun and mojo. That is what we had up to 2010. I'm excited to see it come back.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As for this idea that "Driskell was a lock", that we're in trouble in general on the recruiting trail and that the REST of this class was somehow ALWAYS soft due to LAST year's "haul", let's break it down:
1) You already dispensed with this one E-: NO one is a "lock" in a situation like this, least of all the top-rated QB-prospect in the whole nation. All kinds of ways to blow it. Our guy didn't (so far).
2) Our last recruiting class "scared a lot of guys off"??? First of all, that class was "D"-heavy; there were/are all kinds of "holes" on offense, vacancies and depth issues on the interior line, tight end, PLUS there is always room for new playmakers in the backfield; for example, we're STILL searching for that big RB, that "unstoppable force" that always eluded Coach Meyer here (aside from the freak-of-nature that was Tim Tebow--who was a force unto himself, a single player you build a whole offense around).
We are still missing some pieces on defense as well, BTW, most glaringly at DE, but we need individuals who can pressure the QB in GENERAL.
3) The one thing I figure we DON'T have to worry about is Muschamp's preparation and willingness to outwork the competition, to make whatever sacrifices that he deems necessary to get out in front and stay there. This guy is FILLED with "the Fire"--when you hear folks talking about Foley going after someone with passion, energy and drive, THIS is what they mean. This is what he searched for (and GOT) in Muschamp, along with all the tangible pluses on his resume.
I've already aired MY concerns, but I'm putting all that aside for now. This is our coach: I'm going with the strengths and reserving judgment on all the peripheral stuff surrounding the process and choice itself for now, unless and until it becomes a central, relevant issue again somehow.

Escambia94

Nowhere to go but up. Sure, I have converns about a 5-7 staff coming to a 7-5 team, but my fear of this 7-5 staff SOMEHOW outweighs my fear of the 5-7 staff. It's hope. Not hype. I like it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema