• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MORE Transfers?

TraderGator

Gator Fan
Just heard that sophomore tight end Gerald Christian and wide receiver Robert Clark, will transfer after this season.

I have no clue why Jordan Reed is still playing ahead of Christian and don't blame him one bit for wanting to leave. Robert Clark doesn't bother me too much since he's one of the small but fast players we have too many of.

But this brings me to a bigger issue: why have we lost so damned many players since Muschamp arrived? I don't remember us basically going to self-inflicted probation when Spurrier or Zook or Meyer arrived. Heck, I don't remember losing anyone when Zook or Meyer arrived.

I think some orange-and-blue koolaid drinkers are vigorously defending Muchamp for losing players down to under 70, without any basis other than he's Muschamp so he must know what he's doing.

I'm all for cutting the dead wood as we've discussed on other threads . . . whether they are 4 or 5-star players . . . but losing so many who aren't even seeing the field -- and that's the only reason these guys are leaving -- must send a bad message to any good player that expects to come in and play early.

What do you guys think?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Look, I really think we can look at this as necessary and, in the mid-to-long-term, best for the team: you've just got to read between the lines. Our Head Coach (no doubt with the input, consultation and approval of Weis and the rest) is in the process of having to completely reshape this team, to change it's very nature from the foundation up. If there's one thing we all should have become aware of by now is that there is a void of character at the heart of this Gator team. Many of us here have noted this in the various ways it has manifested itself the last COUPLE of years, and REALLY came to a head this season. Too many "5-Star Clowns", "talented losers", is how I have described it. I also predicted more of these "transfers" as the season progressed--"mutually agreed" indeed.
We already had a number of unused scholarships to fill with Coach's idea of "our kind of guys, who do things The Florida Way", which he is in the process of redefining. Every one of these guys who can't or WON'T make the effort or commitment required by the coaches and the job at hand are WELCOME to leave--leaving MORE room for another kind of kid. There'll still be "misses", but at least "heart", "character", "motivation" and "self-discipline" will once again be considerations every bit as important as "physical talent" and "athletic skills". I believe Meyer & Co. got away from that the last 2 or 3 years, and as I say, we are paying for it now.
(One more note here, though: I think we are about to have an AMAZING recruiting result this coming winter/spring, an unusual confluence of quality AND quantity...if I'm right, the "2012-Group" will be looked upon as a turning point, the foundation upon which multiple National Championships will be built. Stay tuned.)

awebbf5

VIP Member
Clark doesnt really bother me, Christian on the other hand I had heard so much good about him. The only thing I guess to say if you aint a gator you must be gatorbait.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Clark doesnt really bother me, Christian on the other hand I had heard so much good about him. The only thing I guess to say if you aint a gator you must be gatorbait.
Exactly. We "heard good" about just about ALL of these "top recruits", and yet...somewhere along the line it stopped being about building a TEAM, and instead about collecting the largest possible group of individuals OTHER folks rated highly. Think of this as "open heart surgery" on the character of our team.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Exactly. We "heard good" about just about ALL of these "top recruits", and yet...somewhere along the line it stopped being about building a TEAM, and instead about collecting the largest possible group of individuals OTHER folks rated highly. Think of this as "open heart surgery" on the character of our team.
im fine with it personally, let muschamp build a team his way, demps and rainey are meyers type of players, gillislee is probably more of a muschamp type. Just want to see Driskell move forward I think he will be a great qb eventually,and maybe throw my boy mack brown in and see what he can do!

TraderGator

Gator Fan
Look, I really think we can look at this as necessary and, in the mid-to-long-term, best for the team: you've just got to read between the lines. Our Head Coach (no doubt with the input, consultation and approval of Weis and the rest) is in the process of having to completely reshape this team, to change it's very nature from the foundation up. If there's one thing we all should have become aware of by now is that there is a void of character at the heart of this Gator team. Many of us here have noted this in the various ways it has manifested itself the last COUPLE of years, and REALLY came to a head this season. Too many "5-Star Clowns", "talented losers", is how I have described it. I also predicted more of these "transfers" as the season progressed--"mutually agreed" indeed.
We already had a number of unused scholarships to fill with Coach's idea of "our kind of guys, who do things The Florida Way", which he is in the process of redefining. Every one of these guys who can't or WON'T make the effort or commitment required by the coaches and the job at hand are WELCOME to leave--leaving MORE room for another kind of kid. There'll still be "misses", but at least "heart", "character", "motivation" and "self-discipline" will once again be considerations every bit as important as "physical talent" and "athletic skills". I believe Meyer & Co. got away from that the last 2 or 3 years, and as I say, we are paying for it now.
(One more note here, though: I think we are about to have an AMAZING recruiting result this coming winter/spring, an unusual confluence of quality AND quantity...if I'm right, the "2012-Group" will be looked upon as a turning point, the foundation upon which multiple National Championships will be built. Stay tuned.)

I sure hope you're right about the amazing recruiting class shaping up!

Regarding players transferring who've not really seen the field: I still have that lingering concern from the Meyer Era, when better players rode the bench only because the ones on the field were "more invested" -- whatever that meant. But the coaches see enough in practice to be letting some guys go without seeing what they do in games. There are just some players that are wonders at practice and don't play well in games, and vice versa.

I guess I'd feel better about this wholesale re-shaping if Muschamp had proven success as a Head Coach. Weis' time at Notre Dame doesn't give me confidence. If Muschamp's rebuilding project doesn't work, we'll be 5-6 years behind then, at best.

OK . . . now I've gone and done it . . . someone talk me down. LOL!

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
I hope this is how BOOM is thinking. I know this isn't football but the lyrics sum up my feelings for these big time players we got. I KNOW SEVERAL OF THESE YOUNG MEN were spoken of highly of by our coaches but have you heard, read, or viewed a negative comment coming from our coaches on anyone in the Team. I haven't. So it might be these are just more DUDS without us even knowing. CHECK IT OUT

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That last comment here from Swamp is MY assumption (regarding Mack Brown, aweb, that one is just a big unanswered question, an ongoing mystery the way we hear nothing, see nothing of him--unless and until he transfers out like these others, though, gotta hope he's still plugging away, hanging in and trying to get better, working to see the field on game day).
Now, TraderG's fear is ALL of our's nightmare. I have felt better and better about the hiring of Coach M, the people he brought in with him (notably including Weis, of course--I believe getting him as an OC was an inspired choice) and the direction he has promised to take this program. All signs appear to show him making good on those promises, but there is the possibility that I'm wrong. Regardless, though, it has become steadily clearer how far off course the program was heading as a result of the last regime's inattention and misplaced priorities. It turns out that a drastic change was needed, and in fact may well have taken place just in time to AVOID that lengthier time and distance "behind".
Not only do I believe that this next recruiting cycle will be a key point in our return to elite, championship form, but it will go a long way towards assuaging all such fears and uncertainties. It turns out there was more to be done here than to simply "reload". New schemes on both sides of the ball, renewed dedication, motivation, and self-discipline, a whole new attitude and approach: the team will more and more reflect its Head Coach's passion and intensity, along with his sense of honor and mutual commitment, in all areas. It's a big job, but the fact that he is intent on nothing less is a really good sign.
That's what gives me hope and confidence in all the rest.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Christian is a beast, we are going to miss him. As for Clark, he didn't play much now, but he had some potential to play later in his career. But Muschamp is (hopefully) moving away from the small fast guys like Clark and trying to get some size and strength.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Its got to be. Their inside the program. There is more to be known when inside. Like what the coaches are looking for in their type of players being bigger stronger faster etc if you know you don't fit you would be better off going on down the road for the best for everyone involved. I feel these are our reasons.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Christian is a beast, we are going to miss him. As for Clark, he didn't play much now, but he had some potential to play later in his career. But Muschamp is (hopefully) moving away from the small fast guys like Clark and trying to get some size and strength.
I remember all the talk about Christian; he, Clark and Elam all came from the same Fla. high school program and were considered a real "haul". I figure there's a reason for his being shunted to the side and "welcomed to leave", though--part of that change-of-the-guard I've been talking about.
For one thing, by certain things their own former coach (who remains quite close to all of them) has said subsequent to their declarations of intention (he was "surprised and disappointed" that they chose to leave mid-season, not even "seeing things through to the end of one campaign" before making such a drastic decision and move), and even more so by their OWN words (both have made comments about "not wanting to continue as negative influences", implying that they have had a tendency in that regard before now), it seems that whatever other problems they may have been having on the practice field, in the locker room and in class, attitude itself has suffered. No wonder they're leaving with the staff's "blessing".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
See, my attitude is, "I hope the cry babies, flip-floppers, head-cases and me-firsters ALL leave!", and I trust this Head Coach and his staff to usher them out the door. All part of the necessary "reshaping" of our team, program and its future.
(Now, I ALSO hope we're at or getting close to the end of working through that "list"--it has already become a pretty thorough and drastic "house-cleaning", after all.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema