• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MMMpph! Uhhhhhhh...

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
:eek: To be honest E, I'm doing as most of us here. Just hoping for the best. I'm pushing myself to look to the future. Not last week or last yr. pushing for the future. It's tough I got to admit. :mad: Hat's have been thrown,Some of the most God awful words blurted at the TV you've ever heard in your life but I come right back cheering them on. I'm not looking for the moral victory I'm just looking for improvement. You, DRU, Me and others could be very wrong with our thoughts. But I hope not. Not for my expert opinion <<<<lol, but for the team I LOVE, and THAT I ENJOY WATCHING EVERY STINKING TIME I GET THE CHANCE. I Sir have the Gator Fever and don't want it cured. I didn't never get the chance to go to college (H/S was enough or so I thought). I envy those of you that did get the HONOR of going to such a great college. I'm not the alumni but I support them in every way I can and I will continue to support.

:whistling: To sum up the spill I've caused here. I think the FUTURE is bright but we got to hold on! This perfect storm that we have been tossed into IS going to be rough but if we stick together we will live to fight another day.

Kudos goes out to DRU he predicted the FUTURE IS NOW and Sir I think you nailed it like a split hog.:tup:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So many good points raised: even in those cases where I see a different conclusion to be drawn, I concede the basic relevance and logic to the arguments made and the questions raised. In the end, I guess I recommend that we suspend judgment of this Head Coach and his staff: obviously it sure would be best if he WERE going about things in exactly the right way--and either way, we'll know soon enough.
As for TraderG's specific questions as to our current roster and the guys who ARE playing now, I would first make 2 points:
(1) We DO have some guys who are "keepers", all underclassmen, and a great deal of what has been happening (and what the staff has gained in this otherwise dismal season) is identifying those (albeit relative few) good ones who WILL be a part of the "team-to-be", but (2) We have had a LOT of injuries, and that has kept a lot of the weaker links in play--there was no way else to field a (barely) competitive squad, and they have of course done little but confirm their lack of heart, self motivation or self-discipline, let alone any sign of commitment to their teammates.
Beyond that, I strongly agree with E's point about what kind of quality so many of those ""highly rated prospects" from the last couple of Meyer recruiting classes have turned out (NOT) to be, how few will in fact be high round draft picks, or even NFL material for that matter. I found myself thinking almost the exact same thing last week, when a prognosticator on one of the recruiting sites was saying that virtually the whole current starting Alabama defense would be high-round NFL draft choices, each expected to help their new teams early in their careers; THEY'LL be challenged by many of the LSU defenders for the same draft spots. Whereas that was once at least fairly close to being somewhat true at Florida, it sure as hell isn't even CLOSE to being so of late--and remember, that includes the better part of that highly touted "No. 1 Recruiting Class" of 2010, supposedly so rich in defensive talent (there might be a couple of good ones in there who ARE playing well, but the jury's still out even on them--mainly because of questions involving their heads and hearts).
No, I am counting on the more insightful and patient fans who I am glad to have as fellow contributors here at GE to ultimately NOT succumb to angry, knee-jerk scapegoating, the kind we already see blossoming among the late-comer fans on other sites, the front-runners who showed up during the Tebow years and are now so quick to abandon our AD, Head Coach, OC and soon no doubt the whole program (as someone once said, "the last to climb on the bandwagon are the first to jump off"). Believe me, I have always said and will always stand by the fundamental view that "No one is bigger than the program": if I turn out to be wrong, if I begin to get the impression that Coach Muschamp and Co. are NOT making good on their promise and stated intention to remake this team, to return this program to elite status by necessarily changing it's nature back to one of team-oriented toughness and mutual commitment, I will not hesitate to admit my mistake and advocate change at the top. However, he needs at LEAST 2 years after this one, one to begin the real wholesale changeover in personnel, and another to continue it AND begin to really show consistent results, before he and his staff deserve the kind of all-out, disappointed en-masse desertion that so many of these fools advocate, should even be considered. I'm hoping this much we can all agree on.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
After looking at the post that showed all those Gator players now in the NFL, and mentally noting some good Gators that did not make it to the NFL, I drew some conclusions:

- I am not concerned with the defections. So what? We lost some back ups. #2s and #3s. Call it football Darwinism. Only the best survive. Who cares if that leaves us with 68 scholarships? I bet those 4 walk ons are happy.

- I have grown comfortable, I guess, with the idea of finishing 6-6 as long as I believe in the coaches' ability to do great things in 2012.

- I have grown accustomed to the possibility that we may not have a first round NFL draft pick out of this team. This might explain one of our problems with leadership out of our seniors.

- I was dead wrong about John Brantley. He is the leader of this team. He is a quiet leader, but I get the impression that is okay in the Weis system.

- Other than Brantley, our leaders and core team are sophomores now. Think of how good they will be as juniors. The former NFL coaches on offense and defense will probably advise those leaders to play until their senior seasons to build up NFL draft stock. Win-win for the Gators and the players' NFL futures.

- The Gator Way from the coaches seems to mean being honest about game assessments, deceiving the media on what the military calls operationally sensitive information (such as injuries, depth charts, and pre game strategies). It also seems to have a long term vision that the Gator Nation needs to be patient with in developing.

miltongator

Gator Fan
OK DRU, I have a few thoughts . . .

A couple of weeks ago I said (on another thread) I thought a big part of the problem was poor coaching. Now I think it may be THE problem.

We've agreed that there are players who aren't giving 100%. Playing with no heart . . . or soft. And we've agreed that Meyer left the cupboard bare, except for a darn good track team.

But now, after the bad game against Auburn followed by the debacle against Georgia (after an off-week), I'm considering that maybe the players play soft, don't give 100%, and keep making stupid penalties because that's the way they're coached. It looks to me like the fundamentals aren't being taught or stressed. I can't get past the excessive number of penalties. I also can't get past Cheeseburger Charlie (there, I said it), having a game plan yesterday that was so obviously flawed any Middle School Coach could have defended against it . . . and he was so damned stubborn he never changed mid-game when it was glaringly obvious ANY defensive pressure and Brantley would lay down for a loss, or our scat-backs would bounce-off any defender, or the O-Line couldn't block to save their lives. And the Head Coach didn't make the OC change anything either . . . which also tells me a lot and all of it's bad.

Let me briefly summarize:

Our QB was less than immobile, completely ineffective, and played the whole game. Coaching.

Because we've had 4-weeks and can't get anyone else even remotely ready to play QB. Coaching.

O-Line can't/won't block and we're in the 8th week? Coaching.

Stupid penalties = lack of discipline. Coaching.

DuBose got, what, two touches yesterday? Coaching.

Rumor: There are actually ALREADY decent-sized Gator RBs named Gillislee and Mack Brown? Coaching.

A corollary: 3rd and 2 and we unsuccessfully try to run a scat back up the middle time-after-time? Coaching.

Wide Receivers can't run a route and get open? Coaching.

DBs can't cover even average receivers and NEVER TURN AROUND. Coaching.

That's enough. My blood pressure is going up again. These aren't new problems but Muschamp hasn't corrected any of them. I don't care how many big RBs we get, the difference will be negligible without O-Line blocking or if they don't ever see the field. I don't care how many 100% heart big, nasty D-Linemen we get, stupid penalties and lack of discipline and DBs that give basically no coverage to the other team's receivers will give us the same result. I don't think it's nearly so much the lack of size and strength any more as it is the lack of coaching. And this is a FAR more serious problem for the program.

In the worst stretch of Zook, I never felt this bad about the Gators.

I'm still not ready to fire Muschamp (or even consider it). But Weis' head should be on the block as far as I'm concerned and whoever is collecting a paycheck as our Receivers Coach.

You hit the nail on the head!

miltongator

Gator Fan
Good points. Well articulated. It is possible I am wrong and it is the coaching. At this time I think it is just a mismatch in coaching and personnel, but it is possible that these coaches are not good at coaching players they did not recruit. Maybe we will not know until next year as the number of Muschamp era players is closer to the number of Meyer era players and that can no longer be used as an excuse.

All very good points. And you are not alone in your thinking about the coaching problems. For the most part, the folks here are immersed in the "coolade" and don't want to go down the "coaching" road.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All very good points. And you are not alone in your thinking about the coaching problems. For the most part, the folks here are immersed in the "coolade" and don't want to go down the "coaching" road.
Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots, not a genius like you...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema