• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Meyer says Addazio will remain Florida's OC in '11

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I will be the first to admit that I am neither the most positive nor the most negative person on the forum. Internet forums are one of those places where we get to see everyone's ups and downs. If someone really turns you off, you can click on his name and place him on the ignore list. There is also the private message function--just let the person know how much he sucks, put him on the ignore list, and press on. Maybe take him off the ignore list at the end of the football season. I don't know. Just an idea. Group hug, anybody?

Et tu, Brute?
I'm not going to defend myself here, even if I have been mentioned by name--and I KNOW I neither started the unhappiness with the direction we're headed, nor have I simply "showed up spewing negativity". Speaking for all the other folks who are down, disappointed and frustrated by what we see, it has been a process, one more of first questions, then false hope, and finally anger.
Talk about "killing the messenger". Look around here. You really think that's something I CREATED and spread?!! Boy, I must be really GOOD at it--a much more effective writer than I'd ever give MYSELF credit for. Thanks, but I really can't take the "credit". It is all Addazio's offense, AND Urban Meyer's strange "vacation of the brilliant mind".
Having said all that, Escambia94, you and the others I talk with here are Gators I have much respect for; I assumed it was mutual. If not, I won't just "take my ball and go home", but I will back off some--just state my opinion on a subject and leave it at that.
Never DID go in for that PC, "group hug" stuff. To me, folks today are too damn afraid of conflicting opinions, spirited disagreement. I've always thought it was healthy. So did our founding fathers, the way I read it--especially when it came to how we view our leaders.
All men have feet-of-clay; we all use the can and put our skivvies on one foot at a time. Most of us were Gators a long while before Meyer got here. It baffles me how agitated and angry one Gator can get at another for merely criticizing a Head Coach, who is, after all, just a man--and one who was HIRED and brought in to lead us. I hope he DOES "snap out of it" and return to the sharpness and clear-eyed vision he once appeared to have, and/or he brings in someone or ones to help. But something is wrong at the top, of that I am certain. I was and remain the first to agree with and appreciate his contribution to this program, but there is no way to ignore it now: "The emperor has no clothes!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
BTW, E-'94, I know you were just being even-handed, trying to be a calming voice, but I addressed my response to you because
1) Along with a number of others I've enjoyed talking with here (Zooker, G-villeBornNraised, Leakfan12, Jack&Dew, G-villeReptillian, and a few others), I DO respect you--and you DID make an attempt at reason.
2) I will NOT get into some juvenile p*ssing contest, nor trade "Oh yeah???"s with anyone who takes that kind of approach with me here...I don't react well to a whiny, "You're NEGATIVE!!!".
3) In the end, I guess I don't really agree with the advice you gave them, E-'94--ie. self-censorship, to essentially "stick your head in the sand" and ignore anything that disturbs you or that you don't agree with. It's better than calling names and trying to bully people into shutting up (in the real world, that's called "fascism", folks!), I grant you--and when it comes to the "News of the World", I'm guilty of shutting down my intake in just that fashion for long stretches of time. But that stuff never really CHANGES--only the names and the faces. Not so college football--if you're standing still you're getting BEAT. Our Gators are too important for us to be inattentive! I say join the discussion; just make sure you take the time to listen to (or in this case "look at") what others' arguments are first--and stick to the topic at hand. Personal attacks intent on silencing other Gators, ones whose opinions you don't share, have no place in this process. If that's beyond you, well, maybe E-'94's advice IS the best alternative.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Actually, DRU2012, you're right. The Internet works both ways. Yeah, I was trying to be even handed. I just sat through a three-hour plane ride after posting that and thought, "Damn, I wish I could take that back. That other guy just accused people like me of not being a real fan!" I won't delete my other post, but I will apologize publicly here for trying too hard to be the mediator--that's not my job. I'm here to complain and vent, because it's my right. Again, I'm not always positive, but I'm not always negative. When you agree, jump in. When you disagree, feel free to throw names until one of the mods warns you. Use the "ignore" button or PM, but if you type something out on the Internet be prepared for war. Some of us have been to war, and it's hell.

P.S. I suck for falling prey to the PC trap. Group hug? WTF was I thinking?

P.P.S. I just checked out some other the Gator forums. Tempers are flaring all over the Gator Nation. I blame Addazio.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I'm by far a PC nut. I voted for a write in candidate in the last presidential election -- Ted Nugent. But I think we can all agree that as a group we all have more in common than we have different. In times like this, tempers will flare, folks may say things they don't totally mean. That's especially true since lots of us like to imbibe on the fire water during game day. Standing up for your opinion is a good thing and nobody should ever back down from it. But at the same time we all need to do a better job of realizing that other folks may have differing opinions. People on both sides of the matter need to realize that we're all Gators here and things can be discussed in a heated AND civil matter. I don't believe in ad hominem attacks over the internet since you never really know the person on the other side. Maybe they had a bad day and unloaded on the computer and are actually a great person that you could be have a beer with in real life. I'm kind of rambling at this point but my overall point is that we can all do a better job of being civil with our disagreements. To be honest, internet forums are a lot more interesting when there are disagreements. But the community as a whole would be better served if everyone remained more respectful of others and realize that tempers flair and this isn't real life. It's a place to let off steam and socialize. Not engage in the same petty crap that we have to deal with in real life everyday. Okay, I'm rambling again. I'm done.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I agree with BOTH of the above posts--strongly.
Moreover, I KNOW that ALL our hearts are in the right place.

ShortBus

VIP Member
The problem is some people are just TOO negative and negativity spreads like wild fire. trust me, I know. especially in a small forum like this where there's only 10-20 regular posters. I work in a small shop, 6 techs. on person starts spewing negative stuff about someone and it's contagious. I'm not saying DRU started it, but he definitely wasn't trying to calm the waters. I was trying to remain positive, and I too fell trap to the negativity, it's so easy to do. I'm trying to rise above the negativity and think positive.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
haha. yeah, it'll be a great fire starter! hehe

But yeah bro i think you're right. Hope so anyways. I'm not ready to call for his head yet.

We have to have the most negative forum here ever. Negativity spews and spreads so quickly... and most of it started with DRU21041832043524932472095723409243095832490234520345320948234957234052437602384594851320449812304543058132495435... shame how one person can bring a whole forum down. I can't stand negative people.

true

robdog

Gator Fan
Not surprising when the team is doing great a forum like this will have little no problems. But when the team starts to go down hill... look out... Maybe it is time to look forward to the basketball season, lol.

Escambia94

Not surprising when the team is doing great a forum like this will have little no problems. But when the team starts to go down hill... look out... Maybe it is time to look forward to the basketball season, lol.

I don't normally watch basketball. I watched my first full basketball game on TV today in a long time. We lost. I don't think my growing drinking habit can take it anymore.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I admit I said stuff here that I regret like calling for Urban's head after the Ole Miss loss in 2008 and Austin's just recently. Let's face it can you imagine if Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes, and other legendary college coaches were around during the days like 24/7 media coverage, internet, and sports talk shows. Probably wouldn't last longer as long as they did. Actually Bama called for Bear's head but things improved. It's also hard because my sister goes to FSU and I live in Bulls country.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Enough. No reason to "double-team" me anymore either: just get together with your bud, ShortBus, and y'all can bitch about me all you want in person. It's all out in the open now (we all even know your name is "Scott", thanks to your friend posting directly to you here), and it's time to move on. It's PAST "gettin' old".
I'm not going anywhere--and you should see what folks are saying regarding the Coach on OTHER sites! You and I agree I think that Addazio and Brantley both need to be demoted. For my part, Coach Meyer's refusal to budge on this has been just more evidence of stubbornness and scrambled priorities--but it doesn't matter what I think: it's time to move past that. I see and accept that unless something drastic happens, Urban Meyer is not only going to be our coach for the forseeable, but by his own words that means we're stuck with Addazio as the OC and Brantley as our QB through 2011.
I'll never be anything BUT a Gator, so that means it's time to start figuring where to find hope in the above arrangement. The irony here is that now all of us HAVE to hope that not only does Coach Meyer have some kind of "brilliant secret plan" to turn it around, but that Addazio and Brantley are just the men to fill their respective roles in that plan. Otherwise, not only will next year be as bad as or worse than this one ON-the-field, it will get REALLY ugly out there in Gator-Nation. THAT is the LAST thing we want to see: it'll tear us apart, send the program into a deeper, accelerating tailspin.
As it is, there's a LOT of anger and disbelief out there that is causing fractures along the lines of who folks want to blame (sound familiar?). By Sunday, about the only thing almost everyone agreed about was that we need to "lose Addazio" as OC, and that Brantley as our QB is at best a "failed experiment". Coach coming out with that news at that point in that WAY has touched a lot of raw nerves. In the context of that "something's missing...there's a Void"-rap, it was like nails on glass, it seems: Gators are coming out with a LOT of stuff a WHOLE lot more negative and extreme than anything I (or anyone else here) said, or even considered.
SO: Without going to Fantasyland, who out there can begin to offer a coherent, longterm projection of how Urban is seeing this, and what the plan is for seeing to it that all the things that HAVEN'T worked so far this season are added to, molded, tweaked, adjusted, adapted and/or evolved into a winning formula for 2011?

Escambia94

You got that right. It's getting old. Can we stop with the double-teaming and get back to griping about Addazio? At least this forum still is not as bad as the others. Some of the other Gator forums are ten times worse, and those guys don't even offer up any intelligent armchair quarterback suggestions. "Fire Meyer! Fire Addazio! I don't know whom I would replace them with, but fire them all! That will fix it!" At least here we have several people who have done research and said, "That sucks, why don't they do this instead."

The Gator Nation is going into a tailspin, worse than I can remember it for the end of the Zook Era, and just as bad as the end of the Hall era. I will see my uncle over Thanksgiving, so I can ask what he thinks of this era versus the Dickey-Pell transition.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
The problem is some people are just TOO negative and negativity spreads like wild fire. trust me, I know. especially in a small forum like this where there's only 10-20 regular posters. I work in a small shop, 6 techs. on person starts spewing negative stuff about someone and it's contagious. I'm not saying DRU started it, but he definitely wasn't trying to calm the waters. I was trying to remain positive, and I too fell trap to the negativity, it's so easy to do. I'm trying to rise above the negativity and think positive.

Sometimes the truth is a awful thing to admit. How can you truly say we are being negative. We are just calling them as we see em. We have every right not to be calm. This offense is bull sh%t. The constant excuses we get week end and week out is outrageous. Id rather Meyer say " I know Addazio is not doing to well but we are gonna work on that and get it fixed " , then to constantly blame everything from Bush to global warming on why our offense sucks. Athletes should not be the problem as long as the coaches are doing there job. Can anyone tell me why not one single player other then Debose on offense ( when he gets in ) has not seen a significant improvement this late in the season?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You got that right. It's getting old. Can we stop with the double-teaming and get back to griping about Addazio? At least this forum still is not as bad as the others. Some of the other Gator forums are ten times worse, and those guys don't even offer up any intelligent armchair quarterback suggestions. "Fire Meyer! Fire Addazio! I don't know whom I would replace them with, but fire them all! That will fix it!" At least here we have several people who have done research and said, "That sucks, why don't they do this instead."

The Gator Nation is going into a tailspin, worse than I can remember it for the end of the Zook Era, and just as bad as the end of the Hall era. I will see my uncle over Thanksgiving, so I can ask what he thinks of this era versus the Dickey-Pell transition.

The thing is THIS time is that we ARE well-stocked, talent-wise (that's another problem, tho': no one can really understand why we're THIS bad with all that speed, depth, and TALENT)...the cupboard was BARE when Dickey bailed.
Pell had his work cut out for him--as evidenced in that 0-10-1 season his 1st year.
But you're right, things are getting out of hand in every area that the program touches now. Never thought it would get like this, and certainly how QUICKLY is shocking; I think it's because none of us ever thought that NOTHING would be changed. THAT'S the big driving factor here: it's become like a clog in the system, where the process started to be stressed by all the losing and excuses and demands for change that didn't come; now it's plugged and the pressure is mounting, building up and...well, you get the picture. I guess we're just beginning to see "what comes next".
I know Coach Meyer will not "make a change just for the sake of a change", but in a sense, maybe that's exactly the required "minimum move" here:
There are all kinds of possibilities--choose one and make your move(s), shake things up! Can't do any harm, on OR off the field!
Interesting question to ponder: assuming Coach went with that idea, and you could pick one area or set of related moves he'd go with...what would it be?

Escambia94

If I had to choose one set of moves for the the Appy State game it would be to make Reed the starter with Burton in the backfield. I don't think the three-headed QB monster (3HQBM) is the answer. All the 3HQBM does is advertise to the world that we do not believe in the QB, but we believe in any one of our QBs 33.33% of the time. Sure, the 3HQBM worked for two games, but just about anything will work as long as the opposing defense does not prepare for that and the offense executes. We got away with bad execution of 3HQBM because of the talent level. We may be able to get away with it against Appy State, but at this point I want the QB auditions to be done (it's week 12), and I want ONE of the QBs to assert his role as the starter against SOW and whatever bowl game we hope to get. Reed and Burton need to be in the backfield together for the last two games and Brantley should be holding the clipboard and playing the role of Noah Brindise.

I would not be opposed to seeing Brantley as the starter next year if Brantley played the role of Leak and learned to run the option. Note: we CAN throw out of this crazy offense. Chris Leak's passing yards went from 2,435 and 3,199 under Zook to 2,639 and 2,950 under Meyer. The standard deviation amongst those stats is 339. This means that under Zook or Meyer, the passing opportunities were essentially the same plus or minus 339 yards (just over one game's worth of passing yards). That means we cannot use the excuse that "you cannot throw out of this run-first offense"). If you look at the playbook there are plenty of passing plays. Brantley gets a bye due to the offensive line, and the offensive line gets a bye because they have been asked to pass block rather than zone block and they were not recruited for that.

I would not fire Meyer today without Foley lining up a successor behind the scenes. Besides, I still hold onto a modicum amount of hope that Meyer can fix the program in a year...or two. Heck, Meyer can do a few things to build up faith in the team this year.

I would not demote Addazio without having an Urban Meyer protege ready to jump in and execute the Plan to Win. Azzanni worked with Meyer at Bowling Green, but would good buddy Addazio be okay with being replaced by a guy much younger? I don't care, but Urban Meyer does.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, lots of "other stuff" goin' on there that has very little to do with playing football, but EVERYTHING to do with where this team is going.
At this point, I'm trying to deal with "how things are" (not always as easy to figure as it seems, BTW) and go from there. If/when something "major" occurs with how this team is run and/or who is running it, I'll adjust and weigh in...but I won't join any of the mobs out there gathering in the night to burn torches and chant for the head of whichever Gator they happen to hold responsible for our seeming demise--not even Addazio's! Lots of reasons I say that, but here's an easy one: From everything we know right now it's not going to change anytime soon, so what's the point? I'd prefer to consider how things can get turned around, given the situation AS IT IS. I see you're already a ways down that road, Escambia94.
(BTW, I re-thought and re-posed the question I was playing with above; it's over on another thread here, and I think it's sharper and to the point--and more fun!)

The Zooker

VIP Member
Let's just all keep in mind that Meyer never throws anybody under the bus in public. Even if his mind was already made up to demote Addazio he would have said the same thing to the press about him being our OC next season. Be patient and watch what happens when spring practice comes around. I'm sure we'll see a Co-Offensive Coordinator at the very least. You might not know this, but Meyer has NEVER fired or demoted an assistant coach in his entire coaching career. They have all moved on to bigger roles with other teams. So Meyer isn't going to take this situation lightly.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Dickey was a good coach though not as good as Graves and did spill in his last two seasons. Pell was a good coach though couldn't keep clean otherwise the Gators would have two national titles. Also Doesn't Foley outrank Meyer meaning he can force Meyer to remove him or outright fire him myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema