• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Meyer Delivers Some BAD News ....

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Meyer expects to keep Addazio as coordinator

0804-addazio-1jpg-521ee9f27af3ad4c_large.jpg

Despite all the rumors and speculation surrounding the offensive coordinator's position at Florida, a change does not appear imminent.

During an Outback Bowl teleconference on Tuesday morning, Urban Meyer reiterated what he said three weeks ago — that for now, he anticipates Steve Addazio being the Gators' offensive coordinator next season.

"I am expecting that to happen," Meyer said. "I'll have further updates as we get closer to the (Jan. 1.) bowl game."

At this point, there is only one change in Meyer's staff after defensive line coach Dan McCarney resigned last week to accept the head coaching job at North Texas. Graduate assistant Tony Weaver will coach the defensive line for the bowl game.

As for other possible changes on his staff, Meyer said he is still early in the evaluation process of his assistant coaches and not ready to make any decisions or moves.

"So much happens," Meyer said. "At this time, I can't make any statements. There is so much going on with the profession right now."

Meyer said Tuesday that the offense will be tweaked for the bowl game, and there will be noticeable changes.
Jordan Reed, who sustained a serious concussion in the loss to Florida State two weeks ago, has not been cleared to practice yet, but Meyer said he is doing well and feeling well, and he expects Reed to be ready for the bowl game.

Meyer expects to keep Addazio as Florida Gators coordinator | Gatorsports.com

Say it ain't so, Urban!

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
I was really thinking about going to the Outback Bowl and yelling for the Gators while at the same time getting a chance to see Joe Pa. for the 1st and I'm sure last time as Penn State was my favorite team growing up as a kid.........BUT, after reading that crap I'm not spending another penny on the Gators as suggested in an earlier thread.:hang:

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Even if Addazio were to leave, there's not enough time to change the offense. If you don't go, you are right, you may not get another chance to see Joe Paterno, today's equivalent of Knute Rockne. I wouldn't let Addazio's prescence keep me from the game. The only meaning that this game has for us, is pride. Not enough there to be upset about if we lose. Go to the game...have a great time!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
What did we do for last year's Sugar Bowl? Do whatever we did then. How hard is this? Rumors are that Scot Loeffler coached that game as OC. Try that again!

Escambia94

I get it. This is what we call in disinformation and trickeration! We let the enemy think we are going to keep the Dazzler so that they think we will be easy and predictable, but then we hire a real OC and try that forward pass that we've been hearing about. This is BRILLIANT!

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we are going to see a forward pass in the Outback Bowl. From our own quarterback, no less. Seriously! Stop laughing...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(I was already thinking this as I drove around today, even before hearing this latest bummer)

In the last week or so I have done my best to be fair and even-handed, even HOPEFUL (or as close as I can manage it) in discussions of where the Gator program is headed and Meyer's place in its past success, its present predicament and it's future return to dominance.
While he has indeed made similar statements in the past, subsequent results and events would seem to indicate changed circumstances--and a new determination on the Head Coach's part to make the hard choices, make whatever changes were necessary to get it right and have this team moving forward again ASAP. As far as the offense is concerned, there can be little doubt as to where that should begin.
I'm sorry, but it is time to cut through the sh*t:
In my view, if Urban Meyer cannot bring himself to find some way to move Addazio aside, gracious or otherwise, then he is a blind, selfish and stubborn fool who has lost his way and refuses to get help, as he stumbles in the darkness, on his way to leading us all over the cliff and into the Morass of Mediocrity.
(That's just west of the Big East and south of the ACC, if you're wondering...)
OK, tear me apart--but if his choice really is to do nothing about the OC, I figure to be only about ten months ahead of the rest of Gator Nation on this point.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh, and another thing (E-94 can back me up on this one): at Texas, where Greg Davis' "resignation" will be announced Tuesday (and though I have no great admiration for Mack Brown, I give him relative props for going against his albeit less-genuine sense of honor to "encourage the departure" of HIS long-time friend and support team member to signal dramatic change AND to get things moving in a new direction on offense), they are already combing the country for a talented outsider to come in and shake things up. Many of the same names are being bandied about as they are in our case, and though I think all signs point to Brown's plan to move to a more power/run-first-PLUS-option attack, it would behoove us to get moving on our own "feelers" if we too will be shopping anytime soon.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Will it takes a riot to have Addazio remove? Well not a riot just hundreds of Gators Helping Addazio move. I know I wish.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
That's why I wish the Criminoles had hung a 60 pointer on us. The worse the defeat, the faster Addazio goes out the door. If you want him gone before next year, you had better hope that Penn State lays a 60 pointer on us, like Nebraska did in 1995. Apparently, in Meyer's mind, 31 points was not that bad. Double it, and he may change his mind.

Escambia94

This is tough. I doubt Meyer would fire Addazio even if SOW beat us 222-0 and Penn State beat us 666-0. Really, I am losing confidence in the coaches. Personally I have no choice but to assume this team can somehow find the way to win in 2011 with the Dazzler and that Meyer will change the rules of coaching by committee somehow.

Let's look at the numbers. By NCAA rules he is allowed a staff of nine coaches. We lost one coach. Assuming nobody else leaves we can let Heater or Austin take over the DL and take on another offensive coach. Dazzler is already assistant head coach (AHC), OC, and OL coach. He seems unwilling to demote his buddy, so the alternative that saves face is to hire a new offensive co-coordinator, a run game coordinator, or other assistant so Meyer can assume the offensive co-coordinator role. Who can Meyer hire that he trusts in any of those roles? Then, how does he prioritize amongst play inputs from Meyer, Addazio, Loeffler, Azzanni AND new guy? See the issue? Too many chiefs can call plays. This is not Spurrier, who calls all the plays and gives the QB leeway for audibles.

In the end, this is what we got when we inherited Meyer. I don't see a way out if this other than Meyer himself changing.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
I think your worst dream will come true....and I really believe this....Gators will win their bowl game. Paterno himself has all but said the same thing. He is praying for rain and bad weather, so as to neutalize our speed advantage. We are favored by 7 points already, and I have heard too many talking heads regarding this game as one of the better games due to the fact that both teams are so evenly matched. This game is definitely winnable. And, should we win, there will be no more talk of Addazio leaving, at least as far as Urban is concerned.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Man, I'm done making excuses for him and bending over backwards trying to understand, explain and/or read between the lines. The players, the fans (students, alumni and locals alike), the PROGRAM deserves a clear-headed, unfettered decision here. I doubt that I am alone in my impatience and frustration. I'm not the only one who's had enough.
Drop the baggage, Urban, and get WITH the program: suck it up and do your job.
If that's too much to ask, I don't want to hear the rationale--and we certainly don't need (and can't AFFORD) to spend another miserable year losing ground (remember: at this level, if you're standing still you're getting beat). We're down to it now: Step up or step out of the way.

Escambia94

I want to believe that the things he has been saying indicate he will change coaching assignments and make one hire, and going by the pre-December 2009 Meyer I would feel confident guessing what those would be. The fact of the matter is that 2010 is so out of character for Meyer that we cannot guess anything. Anything goes. This is Meyer's longest stint at one place, and he has enjoyed his greatest success here. What we know of him from Bowling Green and Utah will not help us as much anymore since he is in uncharted territory. We are going to find out at the Outback Bowl how much of a genius he really is. If you can go to the game, I recommend you go rather than boycott it so you can see what goes on at the sidelines and compare it to the end result.

What I saw at the Sugar Bowl firsthand was Meyer doing nothing but acting like a spectator--he had just been in-retired for a week or so. I saw Addazio very much engaged and competent at guiding people and making adjustments. I also saw either Azzani or Loeffler in Tebow's ear helping him with plays and adjustments. Azzanni and Loeffler look a lot alike from the distance I was sitting, but people tell me that was Loeffler. What this tells me is that this very staff CAN execute games. The coaches all looked like they knew what they were doing. The Sugar Bowl execution looked nothing like the Homecoming '09 execution against Arkansas. In the second half there were few dive plays and a lot of passing in the SB, whereas the Homecoming game was a lot of dive, draw, and Cooooop. Compare that to what I saw at Homecoming '10--we looked lost on the sidelines. Blown assignments on both sides of the ball, no discipline, lots of silly penalties, and...coaches yelling at one another.

The Outback Bowl will be make or break for Urban Meyer. Using the same staff and players, we will see whether he still has the mojo or not. If you go to the game, watch the sidelines. See if the coaches are lost. Watch Meyer. Is he in charge of the game plan? In the Sugar Bowl he was totally hands off and the same coaches executed a very good game plan. This means there is hope. Some will argue that we could argue that it was Tebow that executed at the SB, which is why I gave the Homecoming game as an example--same staff, same players as the SB, different game plan.

We all cry that Meyer needs to be more hands-on. The best game I can recall had no hands-on influence from Meyer at all. In '08 it was Mullen, Addazio, and a couple others who provided game day execution, and it worked. In '08, take out Mullen and add Azzanni and Loeffler and we saw a slight dropoff in game planning, but we were still good. In '10 we have the same coaches, much, much worse game planning, and less stellar players. Let's compare the Outback Bowl to the rest of the '10 season as Meyer's make or break "final exam".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, that's the big question, isn't it E-? Who is Urban Meyer NOW, and can he implement and run a new and innovative offense? Does he even want or mean to try?
As for the past, well, we know he COULD; but regarding the Sugar Bowl, that Cincinatti team turned out (not surprisingly) to be less talented than ours across-the-board. With the pressure off and against a lesser team, that NFL-fast senior-laden powerhouse of a Gator squad rolled over them easily. It didn't take "The Great Spread Innovator" to manage THAT outcome.
The pattern for this past season was set, however: Addazio-led offense beats out-classed opponent, provided defense can provide turnovers and win field-position battle. However, in every case that this team met a squad even CLOSE to theirs in overall talent with something on the line, it was beaten, often soundly. We were not ready-to-play at the start of games this year, and in the losses, the "braintrust" had no answers, hence no 2nd-qtr. or 2nd-half response or comeback. Unless the talent differential allowed our playmakers to eventually wrest the lead via some sudden big plays, we were sunk--the mark of a poorly led AND poorly COACHED team.

(By the way, regarding the post above by "hdfhfg", I think I am a reasonably sharp-eyed, quick-thinking individual, but for the life of me I can't quite grasp the "message" here...
I get the feeling there IS one, but DAMN--you're too obtuse for me, man.)

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Given Urban's state of physical health & internal problems he is coping with....stop and think about this for minute.

Let me state what I think may be the real reason for why Urban is not the Urban of yesterday. Along with his other meds he may be taking, I would bet my last dollar that he is now on some kind of anti-depressant, to cope with the stress.

In people suffering from depressive illness fewer of these neurotransmitters are being produced. Therefore antidepressant medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) delay the reuptake of one of these neurotransmitters, serotonin, thus raising levels in the brain. With more natural levels of serotonin in the brain, mood is elevated from the depressed state to a more normal state of mind. SSRIs are very popular because they seem to have the least side-effects among antidepressants. Additionally, side-effects tend to be mild to moderate and are transitory, usually disappearing after 1-3 weeks. Some brand names of SSRIs are Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil and Lexapro.
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), work in the same manner but affect the uptake of all three neurotransmitters associated with mood: serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. However TCAs have more side-effects and can be dangerous if overdosed. TCAs are not recommended to patients with heart trouble. Some tricyclic antidepressant brand names are Allegron, Tryptizol, Anafranil and Ortrip.
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), an older class of antidepressants, also increase levels of all three neurotransmitters by inhibiting an enzyme responsible for inactivating them. However, MAOIs also affected tyramine, a molecule inked to blood pressure. As a result anyone taking MAOIs must stick to a very strict diet that forbids a variety of common foods like cheeses, yogurt, certain meats, bananas, and many more foods. Failure to do so can lead to a hypertensive crisis and may result in death. MAOIs also interact with many medications and are no longer widely prescribed.
Although antidepressants are not addictive and can be taken in an ongoing regimen, they are normally prescribed for a 4-6 month period, with most people experiencing some benefit after 2-4 weeks of use, and full benefits at about 4 months. Patients are encouraged to seek other means of relief from their depression during this period, including exercise, a healthy diet, and in some cases "talk" therapy to work through any external cause for the depression.

After my heart attack several years ago, I voluntarily decided to begin using Prozac to relieve my stress symptoms and because I was such a Type A personality. LOL After being on this stuff for a while, nothing seems as bad as it may really be! It depletes your motivation....I needed stress because I had employment where I had to constantly make fast, quick, and aggressive decisions. The high stress actually motivated me, as failure was not an alternative...ever. After being on Prozac, all that changed. I mellowed out and became more easy going & relaxed. It allowed me to change my life style...in my case, for the better.

In Urban's case, as head coach, this may not be for the better. Take the stress out of him, and you will surely lose the aggressiveness. And in a profession that is found upon extreme aggressiveness, this is not a good thing.

My background is in business, not medicine. So if there are those here with a medical background, by all means correct or further educate me as to whether in actuallity, this is now Urban's problem.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@ G8RB8R--They tried to put every ONE of us on anti-depressants of one kind or another back in the early-'90's (told me I had a problem with "anger control"; I told the VA psych-quack, "Me? I love everyone but you--YOU I HATE..."; in retrospect, there was still some work to be done on my part), and I HATED that artificial "even temper": no highs OR lows. I took myself off of those within a couple of weeks (more to this tale, both infuriating and hilarious, but irrelevant here).
This is something that probably should have occurred to me before, but now that it's out there, I realize you may very well be right. I hadn't really made that final specific connection, but I included whatEVER was at work post-"crisis", physical, emotional OR chemical, in my warning regarding not allowing ANYTHING to impede the discharging of his duties as Head Coach of the Florida Gators Football Team. Too many promises made, cash accepted and above all people depending on him. Players, parents, colleagues, alumni, fans, ALL OF GATOR NATION looks to him to lead and coach with all his heart, all his passion, using all his skills, all his vision and all he's learned. Urban Meyer willingly accepted that responsibility, and essentially RE-committed himself to all of it when he accepted his most recent contract extension and raise in annual salary. If "the drugs" (or anything else) are getting in the way of this, then either he discontinues their use or he MUST consider resigning his post for medical reasons. Anything less just isn't fair to any of US.

Escambia94

I think Urban Meyer will work through his issues. He is a rarity. Few coaches have seen this level of success at his age. In the military and in business we call them fast burners. One of two things has happened--he rose too quickly and needs to slow down a bit to slowly build up his mojo or he used up all his fuel at once.

Here is my long analogy. I'm an electrical engineer in the Air Force supporting Space Command. This summer, we launched a first of its kind rocket and satellite that accelerated too quickly and failed to achieve orbit. If the rocket scientists had backed off the burn rate ever so slightly it would have hit its transfer orbit and would be in position now. It will attain proper orbit several months late, but it will get there by conserving power, shutting down a few systems, and being supported remotely by other people. That's Urban Meyer. At least I hope that is. Years ago we did our math incorrectly and put a rocket and satellite into the wrong orbit and it does very well 25% of the time but is useless the other 75%. Please don't let that be Urban Meyer. I don't think it is.

In the case of the first rocket, it was a newer, less tested, but higher performance system. The 2nd was a tried and true system that just accidentally worked out well on occasion.

Maybe I am in denial and Meyer has lost his mojo after two NCs--he fired his rockets way to hard, hit the wrong orbit, and will accidentally win on occasion. Maybe he cannot do it without those coaches that followed him from Notre Dame to Bowling Green to Utah to Florida. Or, maybe he is a genius that did well everywhere he went because he has The Knack, but he needs to conserve booster power, get some remote help, and hit his optimal orbit at full efficiency with some delays.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema