• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Major Wrong

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I say if Major Wright blew a coverage like that (the 86 yard GW TD pass) again, he should be bench for Will Hill. Anybody agree?

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Wright will be fine. He definitely screwed up that play, but it's not like he's been terrible all season.

Isn't Wright the one who had the interception early in the game?

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Disagree.

We gave Kyle Jackson more than one chance, and he was the worst Gator ever.

Major Wright made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes. Should we bench Tebow if he misses a wide open Louis Murphy again?

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Arkansas is the worst team in the SEC. We don't need to just beat them, we need to completely throttle them. If we don't win at Arkansas convincly, we might as well book our tickets for the Outback Bowl.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Stop the insanity!!!!!!!!!

No but I am favored to starting fireurbanmeyer.com if the Gators lose to Arkansas.

LMAO - you're ready to get rid of Meyer over one loss? I'm sorry, but this statement is absurd.

I can't believe some of the ridiculous crap I'm reading elsewhere on other Gator boards. One loss that was due to a sloppy performance on the part of our players, and fans are ready to can the coach and/or throw him under the bus. It's unbelievable how our fanbase goes into complete meltdown over a loss and starts spewing some of the silliest rants in cyberspace. That, and add in the Zook apologists starting all their bull-crap about "how we won with Zook's players" back in 2006 makes it even worse.

Our players clearly shot themselves in the foot - and Major Wright made that obvious with that costly miscue. They were well prepared for this game just as they were for Hawai'i, scUM and Tennessee - so there are no excuses. Like I said in another thread, the coaches can only hold the player's hands for so long, and then "school's out" - they need to perform.

We don't live in a perfect world, and yes, some of the best and brightest make mistakes - Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow included. At least they admit when they make mistakes and take responsibility for what goes wrong - unlike the Zooker who simply swept matters under the rug by responding with one of his clueless cliches.

I'm just as upset as everybody else, but please - the rest of Gator Nation, SETTLE DOWN!!!!!! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Arkansas is the worst team in the SEC. We don't need to just beat them, we need to completely throttle them. If we don't win at Arkansas convincly, we might as well book our tickets for the Outback Bowl.

I agree. If we beat Arkansas by less than 13, I think we'll drop in the polls.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
OK, for any of those who seem "quick on the trigger" to get rid of Meyer (which I still think is a ridiculous idea), FWIW here's a good point somebody actually makes in all seriousness on the GSMB

There has been an increasing number of posters on here complaining about Mullen and Meyer. I am one of them that has jumped on the hating on Mullen bandwagon. Some others have also chimed in that it's ultimately Meyer's fault as head coach. Some are pointing out that Meyer won with Zooks recruits and his somewhat alarming 6-4 record in the past 10 SEC games. My question is how long do you give him? How many more losses before Gator Nation is fed up with Meyer? Honest question here and trying to get the true opinion of others.

My take? Meyer should not even be in any discussion that involves him being fired or walking away. Meyer has done quite a bit here in his short time. An SEC and NC in his second season. Players GPA and graduation rates have not been higher since i've been following UF. Top 5 recruiting classes the past couple of seasons. However some of the classes have been unbalanced because of attrition and turnover from former staff. UF has had unbalanced classes from 2 coaching changes in a 3 year span which is critical to the problems we are facing now. After 06 we lost a TON of talent. Moss, Thomas, Harris, Siler, Everett, Crum, Lewis, Nelson, Smith, Leak, Wynn, Baker, Cornelius, Rissler, and i might be leaving some others out. It is very hard to replace that much talent and produce a contender even if Tebow put up Playstation type numbers. Yes we are a year older this year but we are still a young team where the majority of our scholarship players are either RS, fresh, or sophs. I personally am really looking forward to when our classes are balanced and we have a pretty even turnover every year which will make recruiting that much easier for meyer. I personally would like to see Meyer here as long as he wants to be and continues to produce SEC and NC contenders.

Link: http://forums.gatorsports.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3691038186/m/6561072977

This guy makes sense. As far as all the silly "Meyer won with Zook's players" BS, how about the 45 or so players Zook DIDN'T recruit who were members of the 2006 team? Seems here the players Meyer brought onboard and the few remaining SOS recruits on that team are irrelevant in the eyes of the Zook apologists and others who can't seem to see things otherwise. Zook made a mess at UF, and it's taken Meyer some time to clean it up. And lest we forget, it took 6 years for SOS to win the NC in 1996 where it only took Meyer 2.

The offseason changes Meyer made to some of his staff have worked out well so far and if more changes will be necessary after the 2008-09 season he will evaluate and do what is necessary as HE sees fit, and not feel he needs to appease cyberspace ranters.

And another point - for those Gator fans knocking the spread offense again, how about Auburn? They're also running the spread, and I don't exactly see them in the SEC basement at this point in time so that argument doesn't hold water.

Too many fans expect Meyer and the Gators to be picture-perfect, and that will never happen. Let the fairweather fans and all the chicken-littles jump off the bandwagon right now if they can't take the good with the bad. As far as the ones still jaded from the Spurrier years, I only hope they'll start taking a more realistic look at things. As far as I go, I'm along for the whole ride, no matter HOW bumpy it gets at times. I still give Meyer full faith and credit in that he'll address all the issues looming from the Ole Miss loss, and we'll move on from here. Perhaps this loss was the reality-check this team needed after three RUTS-style wins; we can never take ANY opponent lightly. We still have two months of football to go, and the fat lady isn't singing just yet.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
We're not expecting Meyer to be picture perfect, but we don't expect a coach of his caliber to make calls that Senator Sweatervest would make (translation: dumb calls).

With respect to the Ole Miss loss, I only blame Meyer for not kicking the field goal on our first drive. I blame Mullen for so-so playcalling, such as asking Tebow to convert the 4th down with the game on the line behind a depleted offensive line. I don't understand why they didn't have Tebow run the bootleg. Assuming our offensive line couldn't hold back the good Ole Miss defensive line, he would have had other options. Oh well, hindsight is "20/10." I just hope we learn from this loss. I also blame Tebow for not being able to pass the ball deep, with any accuracy. As we all know, the Ole Miss loss was the result of MANY factors and just one person can't be blamed.

904 Gator

Gator Fan
Disagree.

We gave Kyle Jackson more than one chance, and he was the worst Gator ever.

Major Wright made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes. Should we bench Tebow if he misses a wide open Louis Murphy again?

did you watch that play Louis Murphy didn't even put his hands up to try and catch it, cuz he coulda very well caught it

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I don't think so. Tebow BADLY overthrew him on that play. Perhaps if Murphy dove, he MIGHT have had a chance to make a spectacular play.

He missed Harvin on the very next play too.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I don't think so. Tebow BADLY overthrew him on that play. Perhaps if Murphy dove, he MIGHT have had a chance to make a spectacular play.

He missed Harvin on the very next play too.

It wasn't the first time I've seen Tebow over throw a receiver; not only have their been tebow-to-Murphy miscues it seems he and Riley Cooper are out of sync at times. Tebow and his recievers both need to be on the same page and attentive to each other on the field; this is a fundamental skill he should have learned back in Pop Warner.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
We're not expecting Meyer to be picture perfect, but we don't expect a coach of his caliber to make calls that Senator Sweatervest would make (translation: dumb calls).

With respect to the Ole Miss loss, I only blame Meyer for not kicking the field goal on our first drive. I blame Mullen for so-so playcalling, such as asking Tebow to convert the 4th down with the game on the line behind a depleted offensive line. I don't understand why they didn't have Tebow run the bootleg. Assuming our offensive line couldn't hold back the good Ole Miss defensive line, he would have had other options. Oh well, hindsight is "20/10." I just hope we learn from this loss. I also blame Tebow for not being able to pass the ball deep, with any accuracy. As we all know, the Ole Miss loss was the result of MANY factors and just one person can't be blamed.

Try convincing the Fire Dan Mullen choir of that same thing. They'd either call you out or pick out one of the assorted message-board insults we know all too well.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Try convincing the Fire Dan Mullen choir of that same thing. They'd either call you out or pick out one of the assorted message-board insults we know all too well.

Well that "Choir" seems to be a little too fickle.

It's one thing to say Mullen isn't perfect or question some of his playcalling. It's another to say he needs to be fired just because of a few games.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema