• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kirby Smart

it is being reported the DC job has been offered to Kirby Smart the current DC at Alabama. The report also says that it is highly likely that he will accept the job. this will be a huge upgrade at DC if he comes to Gainesville.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It would be awesome. Source? My sources involve the Orlando Slantinel, TideSports, and SBNation. Then again, two of those sources pointed towards Major Applewhite coming and I found that to be possibly incorrect.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Yes, I read the same article at Tide Sports, says the job is Smart's for the taking. The offer is on the table, all he has to do is accept or decline.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I feel bad for opposing offenses next season. I'm getting excited to see what Muschamp and possibly Smart can do with the young studs we have. We have the makings of an epic defense in years to come. Legendary status.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They're really tight, Will and Kirby, is what I got from my search...that one looks to be closest to being "done", and we may hear about it tomorrow (when Muschamp's appointment is officially announced?).
There's a lot going on out there, back-channel and underneath the radar as much as possible, on the OC in particular, of course, and on filling out the rest of his staff; it's not just about who "his guys" are that he'll bring in with him, but who will be staying on among the current coaches. One important consideration is recruiting continuity--Muschamp is young enough so that he's still building these kinds of relationships; at least a few of the young positional coaches have shown talent and tireless energy, and their hard work and close relationships on the recruiting trail may be about to pay off in continued employment as Gators, if they want it.
I'll probably end up discussing the particular focus and concerns of the fans and pundits here in Austin eventually, but elsewhere, on an appropriately related thread. Suffice it to say here that even as bewilderment and confused concern today turned more and more to anger (at Will Muchamp, Mack Brown, even Urban Meyer--always a safe and easy target for Haters' frustrated fury here), certain pieces of (albeit possibly biased and certainly hopeful) information have continued to be reported: on the one hand, we have the cries of "Oh no, not MAJOR!" from the smacks-of-denial-crowd, reinforced by reports on the radio and in the Austin-American Statesman that the 'Horns COULD keep him if they were to offer him the same position, OC, now open at Texas with Greg Davis' "retirement", and varying versions of how far, or even how likely are either the original offer OR the Longhorns' serious consideration of matching it, if true.
Meanwhile, even more than other places, all the other rumors and possibilities are being widely reported and discussed. In doing so, the public, led by the local loudmouths in the sports section and on the radio, can't seem to make up their minds whether they are considering individuals like Horgorsen and others to fill the Longhorns' vacant OC job or the GATORS'--so we won't take their future-OC-and-maybe-someday-more in the person of Major Applewhite!
Although I am nothing but amused, TICKLED at their proprietary outrage, I can't say I completely disagree with their gut-level feeling that Major somehow just doesn't fit as a Gator, doesn't seem to "fit" ANYWHERE but as a Texas Longhorn, in the long run, but that's just the way of this business, bottom line (so to speak).
If he IS being wooed for our OC job (and personally, as I've stated strongly from very first hearing of it on the weekend, I believe he is too inexperienced and untried, too narrowly unfamiliar with the Spread and our personnel to adapt it to his scheme or it to us--in short, yes, too much the Longhorn to take what would be a longshot gamble, an unnecessary one in a situation where there are a number of young, innovative minds who have more positives and fewer questions), then it would be in Mack Brown's hands either to make the move perhaps a couple of years early and reel him in now, or say "Good luck!" and let him move on.

Escambia94

If Major Applewhite, he of 3 years at Texas and only a decade removed from his playing days cannot fit outside of Texas then how does Steve Spurrier fit so well at South Carolina? There is no rule that one must achieve greatness at one's alma mater. Come on over, Applewhite!

All programs (except Penn State) go through personnel changes. Even Joe Pa is not an alumnus of Penn State. All this shows is that no program is safe.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'll welcome him if/when he gets here--I just doubt he's gonna GET here.
Not saying he can't BE a Gator, but I've got this feeling a part of HIM may be saying it, deep down inside--I guess that's the best way I can put it. That's what I mean when I say "He just doesn't fit..."
But there is another thing here, E-, something that DOES concern me:
Do you really feel Major is ready for everything moving up to Gator OC will require? And more to the point, is he the guy you want there, more than anyone else we may have access to? I've got my own reasons why I can't say that, but now I'm posing the question to you in several different ways. Here's one more:
Out of all the individuals who are realistically available to us for the OC position, if you were to make a list of the top three, would Major Applewhite be at the top of that list? Would he be on that list at all?
Just asking...

austingator

Gator Fan
First off, isn't it great watching UT fans freak out? I love it.

As far as Applewhite goes, I honestly think that if he's offered the OC job at UT he should stay put. He's better off being the "chosen one" and could eventually become HC after Mack Brown leaves. Besides, I don't think he's a good fit for our personnel other than brantley and that's a weird thing to say but it's true.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As far as I'm concerned you just summed it up very well.
(BTW, you can turn off that informational note from Nexus One--if you don't, it will appear after every post, and sooner or later, some wag will call you out on it, like, "Hey, dude, I don't CARE about your Nexus One OR your Tapatalk!!!"...it's happened before.)

Escambia94

I am assuming we will not get Applewhite, but I think he could be a good fit. It's all about potential. He failed as an OC when he was about 25 years old. Maybe he has learned a lot. I would prefer someone more experienced like Holgorson or Malzahn. Then again, who had heard of Dan Mullen before 2005? Who knew of Holgorson when he worked under Mike Leach? Who knew of Malzahn before this year? They all had something that it hard to measure. Some call it upside, some call it mojo. I'll call it upside for now.

Well, time to update the list of upside OCs we want. I doubt we will know today at the press conference.

Escambia94

Now that my primary choices are rumored to be unavailable, I would be okay with Kerwin Bell.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I'm not confident that Smart is coming over from Alabama. I think he wants a head coaching spot. And I doubt Kerwin Bell is anywhere on Muschamp's radar. I doubt Muschamp even knows who Kerwin Bell is. I'm starting to think that he might go to the NFL for an offensive coordinator. He mentioned wanting someone with NFL and college experience. Josh McDaniels could be an interesting hire. As for defensive coordinator I'm getting the feeling that Muschamp is pretty much going to run the unit and just have a placeholder assuming the title. Sort of like how Chip Kelly runs the Oregon offense. If that's the case we might even see a current assistant get the nod as the defensive coordinator in name. Chuck Heater might be a candidate.

i def want muschamp running the D they say he's had a top 10 everywhere he's been

won a title with LSU

beat us in 06 with aub

put 8 guys in the NFL over the last 2 yrs with TX

Escambia94

There are HCs that also coordinate offense or defense. Why not make Chuck Heater the defensive co-coordinator? That would leave some salary open for a dedicated, high profile, offensive coordinator. There is no salary cap for coaches, but Foley has a limited budget to work with for the nine assistants and one head coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema