• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Joker" package allows UF to play all three safeties

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
"Florida coach Urban Meyer has said repeatedly that he has three starters at the safety position, though that was not the case against Charleston Southern.

When the Gators lined up on the first defensive play of the game against Troy, Will Hill, Major Wright and Ahmad Black were finally all on the field at the same time.

Meyer and defensive coordinator Charlie Strong made good on their promise to start all three by utilizing their “Joker” package — a 3-3-5 formation with junior defensive end Justin Trattou playing the nose tackle.

“If you're able to play four-down, 3-3-5 and be competent, it's all personnel related,” Meyer said. “Put those three safeties on the field at the same time, and the speed of the defensive end, that's hard to block. It's a pressure oriented package, a lot of blitzes.”

The Trojans struggled to move the ball on the Gators' defense, amassing only 139 yards of total offense."

Link: http://www.alligator.org/articles/2009/09/12/sports/football/090910_zdefense.txt

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I'd like to see if a 3-3-5 works against a bigger threat like Tennessee. If it works, that would be awesome.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'd like to see if a 3-3-5 works against a bigger threat like Tennessee. If it works, that would be awesome.

Consider Crompton threw for three INTs against UCLA, what are the chances he does that against 5 DBs on the same time? I said pretty good.

Escambia94

Consider Crompton threw for three INTs against UCLA, what are the chances he does that against 5 DBs on the same time? I said pretty good.

Agreed. I have confidence 5 DBs will ruin Crompton's day. I can't wait to see that headline about the Joker package being used on Lame Kitten-- "The Joke's on Kiffin" or something like that.

Escambia94

Will the 3-3-5 work well against a power running game?

No. You only put this package in against a passing offense, and definitely not all the time. This would be a bad configuration to get caught in against a no-huddle offense with some running attack. Speed kills, but bruising running backs friggin' hurt!

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Yeah, that's what it thought.

So when would you use a 3-3-5 formation? When it's an obvious passing situation? If that's the case, why not to go to a 3-2-6 instead?

Escambia94

3-2-6 is pretty much advertising you are in an ultra-prevent defense. This is used at the end of a game to protect a lead, but it leaves blazing gaps for running and short passes. This could even allow non-mobile quarterbacks to crank out some yards.

In an obvious passing situation, you can still go with 3-4 or 4-3, depending on the abilities of the linebackers, CBs, and safeties. Coaches don't want to commit fancy packages that are tailored too specifically, because the situation can change, or the offense can go no-huddle and force mismatches.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
3-2-6 is pretty much advertising you are in an ultra-prevent defense. This is used at the end of a game to protect a lead, but it leaves blazing gaps for running and short passes. This could even allow non-mobile quarterbacks to crank out some yards.

In an obvious passing situation, you can still go with 3-4 or 4-3, depending on the abilities of the linebackers, CBs, and safeties. Coaches don't want to commit fancy packages that are tailored too specifically, because the situation can change, or the offense can go no-huddle and force mismatches.

Understandable. I hate getting caught in a 3-2-6 then having an opponent do a hurry up offense and audible to a run up the middle in NCAA Football 10 :no:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema