• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

It's Outback Bowl for Gators

G8RB8R

VIP Member
uf-1.jpg

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20101205/ARTICLES/101209715/1136?Title=It-s-Outback-Bowl-for-Gators

A Florida football team that staggered down the stretch received a nice little pick-me-up Sunday: an invitation to the Jan. 1 Outback Bowl in Tampa.

Earlier in the week, it looked like the 7-5 Gators, who have lost five of their last eight games, were a lock for the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville on Jan. 1. But the Outback, which is higher up in the SEC bowl pecking order than the Gator, showed serious interest inUF over the last few days and stepped in and picked the Gators on Sunday.

Florida will face Penn State (7-5) and coaching icon Joe Paterno in the New Year's Day bowl game that kicks off at 1 p.m. in Raymond James Stadium. It will be UF's fourth appearance in the Outback Bowl.

Tickets for the Outback Bowl go on sale Monday. There is no limit on how many tickets UF fans can purchase through the UF ticket office (352) 375-4683, ext. 6800.

The Gators are 1-2 in their previous Outback Bowl appearances. In 2002, Ron Zook's Gators fell to Michigan 38-30, and the following year, UF lost to Iowa 37-17. In Urban Meyer's first season (2005), UF defeated Iowa 31-24.

It's Penn State's 25th New Year's Day bowl under Paterno, who is the all-time leader in bowl wins (24-11-1) and appearances (37th). The Nittany Lions, who won four of their final six games, are 17-7 in January bowl contests under Paterno, the all-time victories leader among FBS coaches with a 401-134-3 record.

The Gators defeated Penn State in the 1998 Citrus Bowl in Orlando, 21-6, as Fred Taylor rushed for 234 yards on 43 carries.

Holy Cow! 7-5 and we still get a New Year's Day Bowl! How many other teams can claim that they are the equal of the Mighty Florida GATORS!

:bananapartyhat: :bananapartyhat: :bananapartyhat: :bananapartyhat: :bananapartyhat:

G8RB8R

VIP Member
LMAO!!!!!!!!

http://www.tallahassee.com/section/SPORTS/Sports

It's official -- FSU vs. South Carolina in Chick-fil-A Bowl Dec. 31

That's it. That's the full length of the article in the Tallhassee Democrat about f$u being chosen for the Chicken Bowl. One sentence! That's all they have to say!

Little brother can't even get a New Year's day Game!

This is almost as good as our GATORS going to the OutBack Bowl!

Spurrier has got to love this match up. Here's another chance for him to totally embarrass the one program he absolutely hates more than any other!

It's Great ...to be ...a Florida Gator!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Yes! Please don't suck in the bowl game, boys! I want to end this disappointing season on a positive note.

GoGators01

Gator Fan
It'd be nice to have demps at 100% but Meyer said he's wearing a protective boot and they're hopeful that he'll play so 100% sounds out of the question. We definitely have a speed/athleticism advantage but it doesn't matter if everyone is out of position and confused.

Escambia94

We have better athletes, better Sagarin rating, and are 7-point favorites. We are obviously going to lose. Thanks, 2010 Gators for shattering my confidence.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aw, don't let THAT eat at you, bro'! A loss , even a bad one (maybe ESPECIALLY a bad one--a la G8RB8R's darkly "hopeful" analysis) COULD bring us the change we all know we need, and a Gator win is always the default "desired outcome"--so possibly we don't "lose" either way.
What I like is how after SOW whips us and proclaims their ascendance to "Number 1 School in the State", WE END UP WITH THE BETTER BOWL GAME! Not that big a deal to ME (way I see it, Gators are concerned with Championships, SEC and National ones, to be exact), but it has GOT to bug THEM.
Finally, what's with that injury to Demps? Turns out to be more serious and persistent than thought, it seems. Now even a month isn't enough? Maybe should have sat him for longer in the first place? Then there is that O-line...same kinds of injury problems there, along with some questionable personnel and positional moves have rendered a potential strength in reality a glaring weakness. The Nittany Lions will be big and strong (if slow) up front, and we know that Jo-Pa will have his team ready to play in their bowl game (look at his record). We may be more talented, but Penn St. is exactly the kind of team in exactly the kind of situation where we have been repeatedly beaten this past season.
As G8RB8R suggests, maybe we must look at the "Big Picture". Though I cannot personally envision myself rooting against the Gators, let alone watching them lose badly with anything but pain, frustration and anger, could it indeed end up being "for the best"? If I KNEW that the end result of such an outcome would inevitably lead to Addazio's removal and a wholesale change in the offensive plan and approach to '11, I'd HAVE to be for it. (Yikes.)
Of course, there are no such guarantees, sooooo...

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Even if I could go I would be torn between boycotting the game to fight the Dazzler or supporting my team without confidence in a win.

Even if you don't have tickets, never miss an opportunity to tailgate at one of these games. It's alot more fun than actually watching the game. There's all kinds of pre-game stuff going on outside the stadium, and the Gator people are always in their own area tailgating.

I was at the last Citrus Bowl Game that UF was in, where Tebow & team lost to Michigan. We had a much better time tailgating than watching the game.

Escambia94

Even if you don't have tickets, never miss an opportunity to tailgate at one of these games. It's alot more fun than actually watching the game. There's all kinds of pre-game stuff going on outside the stadium, and the Gator people are always in their own area tailgating.

I was at the last Citrus Bowl Game that UF was in, where Tebow & team lost to Michigan. We had a much better time tailgating than watching the game.

True, but it would not be economical for the E-94 family to fly from Texas to Florida just to tailgate. When the military moves me back to Florida, you can bet I will either attend or tailgate the nearest games.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
True, but it would not be economical for the E-94 family to fly from Texas to Florida just to tailgate. When the military moves me back to Florida, you can bet I will either attend or tailgate the nearest games.

So true. It just so happens I still have family living in Orlando, so the game coincided conveniently with family visits. I couldn't afford leaving the state, either, just to tailgate, that's for sure!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema