• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I don't want Bobby Petrino coaching the Gators

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wouldn't worry--I figure there's so little chance of Petrino even being considered that he's not even on my short list, and very few others...we don't NEED him, so he can't come in with his usual demands. Anyway, I just can't see Foley even talking to him.

xradman07

Gator Fan
That choice would be almost as bad as just promoting Addazzio to HC. I would like to see Mullen then maybe Whittingham. Peterson is a good thought just not sure he is ready for a SEC pressure cooker.

I wouldn't worry--I figure there's so little chance of Petrino even being considered that he's not even on my short list, and very few others...we don't NEED him, so he can't come in with his usual demands. Anyway, I just can't see Foley even talking to him.

Agree with your assessment. He would be a horrible choice. He doesn't seem to be of the same moral timbre of our other coaches.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I read somewhere that Petrino was #2 last time. He has some kind of connection to Foley or Machen. All we know is that somehow the next HC needs to have some kind of connection to UF. Even Meyer somehow knew Bernie Machen. Most of us fans are looking at this from the technical POV, i.e. "Which coach knows Xs and Os best for Florida?" What we all forget is the politics. Somehow Petrino knows SEC politics. The politics angle would probably rule out Mullen as a primary. It might also lessen the chances of getting Petersen or Kelly. I don't know where Malzahn fits in the politics. Politics also puts Stoops up top, albeit the most expensive spot.

SEC4LIFE

Gator Fan
Hey Gator fans. Thank you for letting me post on your board. I agree that Petrino does not need to be at Florida. It would not be fair to everyone else in college football. Florida has the best recruiting base and among the best brands in all of college football. Getting Petrino would make Florida so dominant that there would no longer be any reason to play out the seasons.

Don't get me wrong I know Petrino has his issues with his inability to stay in one place very long and his obvious hatred for the media. But the man is the best coach I have ever seen. Look at what he did in Gainesville last year. In only his second year at Ark and a group of mostly inherited Nutt recruits. Most of the guys Nutt recruited were snatched from the jaws of Louisiana Monroe.

If it had not been for some seriously bad calls then in only his second year Petrino would have pulled the upset. Now look at this year. Second in the West at Ark. Second ! Anyone watch the Auburn game ? Again the zebra's assured Auburn got the victory. Otherwise that game was a toss up and Petrino was doing this with a backup qb !

Also Petrino loves to recruit Florida. But look at his roster at Ark. He has recruited nationwide. Which is what any SEC program has to have. If you ask me the rest of the SEC should anti up to make sure Petrino never leaves Ark. Of course with the way the man changes jobs it may not be a problem.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wish you were right, SEC4LIFE--it would make the choice easy.
As it is, I suspect you have little reason to worry: despite some recent buzz about some previous connection between he and Foley/Machen and him supposedly being the second choice LAST time (a pretty good show-stopper right there--don't you think the Fla. "braintrust" intends to go for something "better than the second choice" again THIS time?), if it isn't one of our two fine former-Coordinators (and my gut feeling is that they won't be moving right now either), I really think they'll go after one of the "young fresh faces" out of the west.
You can rest easy at this possibility if you choose, but from where I stand, if that IS the path chosen, your dire fears are MORE likely to be ultimately realized. I'll expand on this once we have a decision and a name, signed on the Bottom Line.

Escambia94

It's anybody's guess now. I, for one, will not rest assured on any assumption. Petrino could be coerced into staying in one place, but Florida is a much higher stress gig than Arkansas. Ask Urban Meyer. Read Phil Fullmer's kudos to Meyer for taking a stand for what he believes in and stepping down to save his family, thus showing to the world the problems associated with coaching. Urban Meyer does bring up an interesting point. I know we put pressure on him to win, but then again, all coaches have that same pressure but with more of it at Florida. I think Meyer is showing us that if the market (the fans) forces coaches to the brink of insanity we should expect coaches to flee quickly as is the case with Petrino, or coaches to burn out in six years as is the case with Meyer.

I'll take Petrino for a few years until we burn him out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I trust your judgment, E-, but my "blinking red light" with Petrino has to do with that big bag of attitude and preconception he brings with him--I fear he's more the kind of coach who will try to make the Gators over in HIS image, forcing them to fit the shape of his already formed vision rather than adapt his system and ideas to fit THEM. It IS possible to mold a team to that vision OVER TIME, but to come in and DICTATE wholesale change in any accelerated, seemingly arbitrary manner can be disastrous. It seldom turns out well.
I'm no expert on Petrino, his true personality and approach; I go only by my impressions from afar. As you say, we all have our own ideas as to who we think is best, what direction Foley should go, and so on. I've mentioned my own evolving thoughts here in other threads, but MOST of the suggestions are top flight, no matter what. It comes down to a matter of philosophic underpinnings, interestingly enough, don't you think?
I tend to be more of a risk-taker, but I want to see calm intelligence to go with "new ideas". Then there's the passion, the Fire, that "mojo" we've talked about. It can't be ONLY that, but I figure it better BE there along with the rest.

Escambia94

What do you mean by "re-shaping in his image"? That's what HCs do, right? I mean, other than changing the mascot and logo, the HC can change just about anything--change the offense from spread-option to spread, change defense from 4-3 to 3-4, change colors from predominantly blue to orange, etc.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema