• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How much longer can we keep Charlie Strong?

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
There are several times over the past few years I thought Charlie Strong would have left UF for a head coaching job, especially after the 2006 National Championship season. But the job openings never came. This year Strong has built another great Florida defense... I'm not sure if they rival 06 but they're good.

Charlie Strong was also just named finalist for Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach.

How much longer do you think he'll stay at UF... when will he get a shot to be a head coach?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Right now it's hard to predict how long Charlie Strong or any of Coach Meyer's assistants will stay at UF; there have been reports that Steve Addazio is being considered for the Syracuse opening since it hasn't been filled yet, and other assistants could be interviewing elsewhere once all the head coaching vacancies have been filled.

That being said, Coach Meyer has a list of names he would consider for replacing assistant coaching positions, so he's prepared for any personnel change that may happen. Judging on how we've performed this season, he made very good choices when he replaced Doc Holliday, Greg Mattison and Stan Drayton in brinigin in Vance Bedford, Dan McCarney and Vince Carter.

Urban Meyer has already started his own "coaching tree", so to speak, with Kyle Whittingham at Utah - who's enjoying huge success this season.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I think Skip Holtz will be leaing ECU for a bigger job this season, that seems like a good place for Charlie to start as a head coach. I actually thought he had a shot at the Tennessee job too.

chedgar1

Gator Fan
ive heard Fulmers name tossed around for the MSU job. Ive also heard Skip Holtz name tossed around for the Syracuse job. Im hoping that is the case so we retain Strong and Mullen. I just cant see either of them leaving for ECU even for a head coaching gig.

ive heard Fulmers name tossed around for the MSU job. Ive also heard Skip Holtz name tossed around for the Syracuse job. Im hoping that is the case so we retain Strong and Mullen. I just cant see either of them leaving for ECU even for a head coaching gig.

Also Mullens name is involved in the New Mexico, I think the AD was a Bowling Green when he was. So thats the tie between Mullen and NMU. But I would stay at Florida if i were him.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Also Mullens name is involved in the New Mexico, I think the AD was a Bowling Green when he was. So thats the tie between Mullen and NMU. But I would stay at Florida if i were him.

If Dan Mullen were ever to leave Florida, I'd like to see Mike Sanford (former Utah assistant under Coach Meyer and former UNLV head coach) come in as a replacement. Either him, or current Utah OC Andy Ludwig.

castawaygator

VIP Member
hopefully he will stay until Holtz leaves ECU for ND to follow in his fathers footsteps and try to return ND to glory. then take ECU

i really dont want to see any of our coaches go to other SEC teams. it will just bring disdain to them. just look at the saban ordeal and nutt too. although if its a team we dont normally play i think most people like seeing success elsewhere from a former gator.like stoops, although i will have no problem watching him loose to us if we make it to play OU. UF fans i believe has a little more restraint, look at spurrier you cant hate the man that made the program a national power.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
i dont see an SEC team taking a new coach who ha not been a head coach of any team before

It can happen.....

Sylvester Croom at Mississippi St.
Ed Orgeron at Ole Miss
Mike Shula at Alabama
Phil Fulmer at Tennessee
Mark Richt at Georgia
Ron Zook at Florida
Joker Phillips soon to be at Kentucky
David Cutcliffe at Ole Miss

castawaygator

VIP Member
ANYTHING could happen like you pointed out, BUT looking at the records for these guys and you dont see success for most of them, not to mention 6 out of the 8 are no longer with that team as head coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema