• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Head Coach Candidates

miltongator

Gator Fan
I hear Jim McIlwain is the leading candidate now. I don't see it though, his record isn't great and how good can his recruiting ties be from Colorado?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I hear Jim McIlwain is the leading candidate now. I don't see it though, his record isn't great and how good can his recruiting ties be from Colorado?

Even out of Colorado he has five Florida boys at WR, RB, and LB. He has over a dozen Texas boys on the line of scrimmage. If you read my first post in the thread, you can see that he poached a few good Florida boys from under Meyer's and Muschamp's noses. He literally made Tebow cry by orchestrating the offense that ended Florida's reign atop the SEC and catapulted Alabama back to the top.

His coaching record is not impressive until you look at the trend. In his first year he won 4 games, then 8, then 10. Each year he recruits better and beats better teams.

What I think is cool, is that Dj Durkin is kept. While Muschamp is a good defensive mind; I think Durkin now has the freedom to do the things he wanted, which will translate into dividends.

awebbf5

VIP Member
What I think is cool, is that Dj Durkin is kept. While Muschamp is a good defensive mind; I think Durkin now has the freedom to do the things he wanted, which will translate into dividends.
I always wondered if our defense was good because of Durkin or muschamp? Guess if he stays we will find out how much Durkin is responsible for our defense.

Escambia94

I always wondered if our defense was good because of Durkin or muschamp? Guess if he stays we will find out how much Durkin is responsible for our defense.

It is a obviously both. We cannot fault Muschamp for the offense while praising him for defense without first understanding the role of the head coach and the interaction with the coordinators.

The defense was stronger with Dan Quinn as DC on the sidelines and in practice, but it was Muschamp that created the overall defensive strategy from recruiting, to team practices, to game preparation, and overall game execution. In short: all Muschamp needed was the right offensive guy.

Durkin should stay and grow as a DC without Muschamp's influence. That may mean Durkin gets pulled in a few years if Muschamp becomes head coach, so it will behoove Coach Mac to grow Durkin under his coaching tree.

Escambia94

Jim McElwain (HC Colorado State)
  • Current salary: $1.5M through 2018
  • Cost for Florida: $7.5M buyout plus $3M - $4M per year
  • Notes: 20–15 (12–9), but as Alabama OC he was responsible for taking out Florida as the dominant SEC program. He can also recruit the state of Florida. He recruited Clinton Ha-ha Dix out of Orlando Dr. Philips (a potential Gator hotbed of talent). He recruited Dee Philips of Orlando Dr. Philips at Bama and has him now at Colorado State. He seemed to have an impact in recruiting Trent Richardson out of Pensacola, Florida as well (Richardson went to my high school, the same one as Emmitt Smith).
  • Named the 24th head coach at the University of Florida on December 4, 2014 (five days after the release of Muschamp). Florida will pay $7M buyout, $3M+ salary, and play CSU in Gainesville before 2019 with another $2M payout. Coach Mac agreed to buy down a portion of his buyout (approximately $2M) over the next few years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema