• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hate to say I told you so....... but

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I guess that I am disappointed that we had two 4* QBs and several 4* WRs on the roster over the past few years and here we are with the #105 ranked offense.

awebbf5

VIP Member
The fact of the matter is we were expected to be a 8-5 or 9-4 team at best. In all honesty we were all shocked how good we were this year. We had six turnovers against Georgia and took them to the end. The Louisville game we came in and said bow to us we're the almighty Gators and got punched in the mouth and by the time we realized we were getting whipped it was to late, BUT we never stopped fighting and came back but were to far down by then. Now other than that we beat, those damn vols, the newbs in our conference which one has the greatest thing since Tebow (in some's minds), LSU, South Carolina, and the Florida State Criminals with the number one strength of schedule and a true sophomore as our QB. If you ask me he did pretty damn good, it's not like he had the greatest line or explosive playmaker's around him. I have an assumption why Driskel does have a lot of backlash and Brissett should have started by some ( not saying everyone) but I will not go into all of that, but Im happy with the season we had and going into next year with Driskel as our QB.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am happy with the team. I am disappointed in Driskel. He has burned his John Brantley card. No more.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I guess that I am disappointed that we had two 4* QBs and several 4* WRs on the roster over the past few years and here we are with the #105 ranked offense.
Can't argue with you here...(but THAT'S true with or WITHOUT JD)
I am happy with the team. I am disappointed in Driskel. He has burned his John Brantley card. No more.
COULD argue with aspects of THIS--in fact have--but I'll give it a rest, let it GO, even...There're aspects of it I agree with, too, after all: Not sure of this "Brantley-card" business, but if you mean that it is time for him to "Get tough, step up and STAY there, be the DECISIVE leader we NEED back there!", well, yeah, that's the idea. Now we'll see if he's really got it in him, or not--and an on-again/off-again version WON'T do, in the long run. That WILL just "get us to the NEXT guy"...I'm going into the 2013 season ASSUMING (as I think our coaches do) that he will more and more BE "that guy": I don't expect perfection, but I DO expect success. My point all along here has been mainly that, even if you DON'T, you (and ALL Gators) should HOPE for it, 'cause THAT is the best chance at our realizing greatest success as a team this year. Certainly any shot at a Championship-run drops with the necessity to virtually start-from-scratch, bringing on another QB in mid-season, no matter HOW much "promise" these freshmen show.

Obviously I (along with the Coaches, etc.) could be wrong, but I'm feeling good about JD at quarterback, and am especially excited to see him work with more talented receivers in an expanded Pease offense this year--as long as we can keep him healthy. The anticipated upgrade in talent and depth along the O-line, AND getting our new QB-prospects in place, a chosen-back-up as far along as possible in HIS development this spring, are the related enormously important tasks that'll bear almost as much attention as JD's own progress, once they all get to work in March.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I think we all stuck by Driskel for more than long enough. Our let down was the Sugar Bowl, a horrible way to end a remarkable season. Only the 5th Florida team to have 11 wins.
He went from "deer in the headlights" to somewhat better despite playing Top Defenses in the country, and then the Sugar Bowl came and you think this kid would have learned by now, but nope, back to "deer" mode.
And to be honest, I don't know if it's fair to blame JD. We started the season thinking "rebuild", yet something happened at College Station that sparked a fire thats been out since 2008. Then LSU and South Carolina happened, and that fire turned into a raging inferno, we could taste it. Only to be let down in Jacksonville.
Maybe we should blame ourselfs, for not sticking to our expectations we had at the start of the season. But damn, it's so hard to not look at our team and imagine what "could have been" if we clicked on offense like we were on defense. You can't overlook the best defense in the nation, in the hands of one of the worse offenses, or can you. That is the root of "our problem", we straddled the fence between two polar opposite expectations. What side are you on, positive or negative.
I was bitter after the Georgia loss, then the Sugar Bowl opened up the wound further. Then I read the story of the senior who sung the alma mater BY HIMSELF after the Sugar Bowl and thought about how our team feels. This season, and the bitterness is keeping that spark alive, and people are noticing and want to be a part of it. Next season will be special, I can feel it.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Look, I'm trying to move on from this "Driskel is good/bad" argument, based (as I keep saying) on the simple truth that no matter what, it is in ALL our interests (and best chance to take the next step in 2013) that, given that he IS our starting-QB, Driskel DOES come through with a better, deeper O-line and more tools in an expanded Pease offense, and takes that next step, becoming a mature and consistent version of that kid (who has up-til-now had 3 successive OCs in the last 3 seasons and ONE season as a sophomore starter) who was "best prep quarterback in nation" coming out, and this past year showed flashes of becoming all he has the talent and promise to be--and though he also had his share of "let-down performances" too, as far as "looking like a deer caught in the headlights" goes, I remind you that he WAS a "deer-caught-in-the-headlights" far too often...and that INCLUDES much of the Sugar Bowl, where (when I was back home and finally enough past-the-pain to watch the 2nd-half--still FF'ing thru' much of it, I admit) I noticed that among the "plenty of let-downs to go around", there was a return of something I saw in 2010 and 2011, something that I hoped I'd never see again: On-field, in the 4th qrtr, there were Gator players swaggering and acting like triumphant fools (even risking penalties) after they made a hit late-game, as if their small moment of self-perceived "glory" was more important than the game they were well-on-their-way to losing...while meanwhile, OFF-field on-the-sidelines, there were starting-players laughing and talking as if each already had "one-foot in their PRO-careers". We lost that game as much because of ATTITUDE as anything else--and when you acknowledge that Driskel WAS being chased all over the field most of the evening, that doesn't leave HIM personally responsible for more than a small, if highly visible and admittedly disappointing portion of the blame.
I expect Muschamp and Co. saw it too--and, as disappointment turns to anger, even MORE I "expect" them to do everything possible personnel-wise to ERADICATE this kind of prima-donna selfishness from our team from here on in...SO, in the near-to-mid-range future, when you see us suddenly turning our backs on a "highly-rated prospect", and/or a formerly 4-star recruit "we are parting ways mutually agreeing it is best", well perhaps you'll now have some idea as to what that is about. Swagger is ONE thing, in its place, but when you watch a team like, oh, say the Tide, THEY are more likely to show ANGER at THEMSELVES and each other for NOT making-a-play (even in a game already WON) than a big show of "swagger" when they basically do their job...In other words, they hold themselves to a high standard, while THEIR swagger speaks for itself, from being WINNERS, the REST of the time.
THAT'S where we need to get to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema